Awoo.

Five Nights at Freddy's - Scott Cawthon Financially Supports Anti-LGBTQ+ Politicians

Spin Attaxx

I think this is worth posting, maybe even for it's own topic, but Scott had some very inspiring words to share about what he did before, during, and how things are after everything involving FNAF - http://steamcommunity.com/app/388090/discussions/0/541906989414847401/

Hidden Content

I saw this the other day. Not really interested in the FNAF franchise at all, but Scott seems like a genuinely awesome guy. I'm happy for him and hope that he finds success in whatever he pursues after this. 

People shit on FNAF for being popular but that's usually how it goes when something takes off like this and some people don't get with it. Guy made something a lot of people really like and should be proud. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The director of the FNaF film posted this:

CLDlid1VEAA5JN3.jpg

And incase you're wondering:

Xgfglx1.png

Oh god, are those Springtrap's eyes in the foreground? Or is it for a horrifying practical effect where the human actor is replaced by an animatronic double that gets mauled? Oh man...

I saw this the other day. Not really interested in the FNAF franchise at all, but Scott seems like a genuinely awesome guy. I'm happy for him and hope that he finds success in whatever he pursues after this. 

People shit on FNAF for being popular but that's usually how it goes when something takes off like this and some people don't get with it. Guy made something a lot of people really like and should be proud. 

I think a more important takeaway is not that FNAF is hated because it's popular, but rather that a lot of the criticism leveled against Scott and the games was easily refuted. I feel there's an important distinction there; the prevalent idea that everything that will achieve popularity will be hated by default sooner or later implies that hype backlash is baseless to some degree. I disagree; a lot of flawed work is popular and can be shielded by hype, identity politics, and herd mentality from getting the criticism it may ultimately deserve. Scott's case just happens to be one where there's still strong arguments in favor of the artistic merits of the work, and I think that's more respectful to him as an artist and to FNAF as a franchise. FNAF isn't good because it's popular, it's popular because it's good.

However, I think the most important thing he said is that he wants the world of art to keep turning, and that our generation should take the torch and make stories and games he will be able to appreciate. What will be the next FNAF? Who knows? Someone has to make it first, and let's pray they have the opportunity to do so and don't give up on achieving that goal.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh god, are those Springtrap's eyes in the foreground? Or is it for a horrifying practical effect where the human actor is replaced by an animatronic double that gets mauled? Oh man...

Would they be that far along yet?  That image looks a lot like some of the real animatronic parts you can see on Google Images, all of which are pretty chilling stuff.

250x188.jpg2012-09-05152144.jpgF9RXU27HY12JMJI.LARGE.jpg

I think a more important takeaway is not that FNAF is hated because it's popular, but rather that a lot of the criticism leveled against Scott and the games was easily refuted. I feel there's an important distinction there; the prevalent idea that everything that will achieve popularity will be hated by default sooner or later implies that hype backlash is baseless to some degree.

I didn't mean to imply that all popular things are destined to face this kind of hype backlash, or that all hype backlash is completely baseless (asterisk, some of it is completely baseless). I will say that works like FNAF are a bit more vulnerable to hype backlash because they seem like niche products that blew up in popularity. A lot of "mainstream" players don't get the appeal of it. 

I disagree; a lot of flawed work is popular and can be shielded by hype, identity politics, and herd mentality from getting the criticism it may ultimately deserve.

Like Naughty Dog games? Because Naughty Dog games.

But really, I see what you're saying and I agree. A lot of works are difficult to discuss because people put them on a pedestal. Actually criticizing something that's popular can be really hard when you get dogpiled on for anything resembling a negative opinion.

Scott's case just happens to be one where there's still strong arguments in favor of the artistic merits of the work, and I think that's more respectful to him as an artist and to FNAF as a franchise. FNAF isn't good because it's popular, it's popular because it's good.

Like I said, I don't have much interest in FNAF and I haven't played one so I cant comment. I'm not inclined to disagree.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't mean to say that was your argument; rather I was using the post as a springboard for my thoughts in general. xP

And while a lot of mainstream gamers don't get it, I would wager a lot of others do. It's anecdotal, but everyone in my life who plays FNAF also plays Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, and that extends here to this topic too. Just as well, mainstream consciousness is how projects like these blow up to the point that families are coming into amazing windfalls, how Youtubers are having their lives changed by playing it, and how Warner Bros. is making movie deals. There is a mainstream appeal to the franchise, and as such debate of its merits is lively.

I also didn't mean to paint a picture that all of criticism is meritless. Horror is a very opinionated subject and I'm sure the series' use of jump scares has been better scrutinized than I can defend them. However, people who are drawn in can still articulate why the jump scares work for them, even while understanding contemporary examples where the technique fails. And that goes for other aspects of the games too. So I don't blame you for not being interested, nor would I if you tried a game in the future and didn't like it. 

At the same time, the franchise was bereft with criticism that simply didn't make sense, such as Scott being a bad person for stumbling upon a formula that was easy enough for him to quickly turn out finished games! being construed as predatory milking. Moral arguments were being levied upon the franchise that were easily toppled by applying context, such as pointing out the large mechanical differences between each game that would make it impossible for each sequel to be a simple copy and paste job that milking implies.

I feel like I'm rambling, so I'll end by saying my general point is that I think we look at hype backlash in a simplistic way sometimes. xP

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't mean to say that was your argument; rather I was using the post as a springboard for my thoughts in general. xP

I kinda figured but I was just covering all the bases in case you actually were saying that. :V

And while a lot of mainstream gamers don't get it, I would wager a lot of others do. It's anecdotal, but everyone in my life who plays FNAF also plays Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, and that extends here to this topic too. Just as well, mainstream consciousness is how projects like these blow up to the point that families are coming into amazing windfalls, how Youtubers are having their lives changed by playing it, and how Warner Bros. is making movie deals. There is a mainstream appeal to the franchise, and as such debate of its merits is lively.

There's definitely a mainstream appeal, but it's niche in most senses. It's a small, very low budget, pre-rendered horror game with a very dedicated following. For a game like that to take off like it did in this industry is pretty rare, especially when there are a lot of people who wont even look at indie games. 

I also didn't mean to paint a picture that all of criticism is meritless.

Well I didn't interpret anything you said that way so... good...job? 

At the same time, the franchise was bereft with criticism that simply didn't make sense, such as Scott being a bad person for stumbling upon a formula that was easy enough for him to quickly turn out finished games! being construed as predatory milking. Moral arguments were being levied upon the franchise that were easily toppled by applying context, such as pointing out the large mechanical differences between each game that would make it impossible for each sequel to be a simple copy and paste job that milking implies.

I mean the rate at which the games are put out was a bit fast but I don't think it's fair for people to say he was "milking it." If you look at it as an episodic series the spacing between entries and pricing aren't unreasonable. He struck while the iron was hot.

I feel like I'm rambling, so I'll end by saying my general point is that I think we look at hype backlash in a simplistic way sometimes. xP

Sure, but I think that sometimes it really is just as simple as "man everyone keeps talking about X and all those Y people really like X so FUCK THEM." Really, I think I'm rambling too so I'll just reiterate that I like Scott's response and think he is a rad guy who doesn't deserve any hate. 

Gametheory seems to have a response toward a certain moment in the game. And Scott himself actually commented on the video as well. You can't seem to find the comment anymore since it has been deleted for unknown reasons, but he basically said this. I'll put it in spoiler tags due to it touching up on spoilers.

"It was a good video, MatPat, I always enjoy them. Unfortunately, as your more clever viewers are pointing out in the comments bellow, you overlooked a crucial detail in the game I'll be looking forward to your next theory!"

Is it just my imagination or is MattPat a bit bitter when he made this video? 

Gametheory seems to have a response toward a certain moment in the game. And Scott himself actually commented on the video as well. You can't seem to find the comment anymore since it has been deleted for unknown reasons, but he basically said this. I'll put it in spoiler tags due to it touching up on spoilers.

Hidden Content

Is it just my imagine or is MatPat a bit bitter when he made this video? 

So...I'm intrigued...what was that crucial detail?

Sorry but I don't know hho to add spoiler tag in a phone

So...I'm intrigued...what was that crucial detail?

Sorry but I don't know hho to add spoiler tag in a phone

From I read in the comments it seems to be two answers popping up. One is people claiming that the nightmares are before the bite and the other was people saying it was the Bite of 83 and not 87.

So... they'll use real animatronics for the film.

Yep. That's probably gonna add a whole new level of horrifying.

Makes me ponder what they'll do with them after the film's out... I'm foreseeing an insane auction.

• Thumbs Up 2

I could picture a publicity stunt with them starting a controlled fire and having reports of a set burning down with the animatronics inside and then having said animatronics unexpectedly show up somewhere some days later. Since they're using real models there's some great potential to creep people out outside the film itself.

• Thumbs Up 3

So... they'll use real animatronics for the film.

Yep. That's probably gonna add a whole new level of horrifying.

Makes me ponder what they'll do with them after the film's out... I'm foreseeing an insane auction.

I have no idea how the people buying those could possibly sleep to pleasant dreams. Or just let themselves sleep flat out.

Still, I guess if this allows the internet to continue the Freddy saga with real life implications...

I have no idea how the people buying those could possibly sleep to pleasant dreams. Or just let themselves sleep flat out.

Still, I guess if this allows the internet to continue the Freddy saga with real life implications...

easy they will blow up the animatronics with tnt then they will sleep to pleasant dreams

I just hope they don't go the authentic route and suddenly 5 missing children reports show up in the news  while they are busy making the movie .-.

edit:i wonder if maybe they might do something like universal studios did with some transformer stuff

Edited by kirby1up

So if you guys remember the picture I showed you that I drew. I actually wrote a one-shot to go with it.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11415039/1/I-ll-be-your-Friend

I advise beating FNAF4 before reading. Also before anyone says "Um your theory is wrong, get your facts straight!", just remember that it is a fanfic and if it does turn out I'm wrong in the end I can always slap an AU label on the story.

EDIT
Well here's some crazy news, a ninth night was found in FNAF4.

Though nobody knows if it's a glitch or some data for the unreleased Halloween DLC.

Edited by sonicgirl313
  • Thumbs Up 1

My guess is probably some bits of data left over for the DLC unless there's some unique challenge or story to it.

My guess is probably some bits of data left over for the DLC unless there's some unique challenge or story to it.

At least we know it's not "On Disc" DLC.

Not that it really matters I guess, watch as it is released mid August.

EDIT:

We have another image from Scott.

thankyou.jpg

Edited by ThatGenericGuy59
Avoiding a "double post"

EDIT:

We have another image from Scott.

thankyou.jpg

"One of the things is this image is not quite to scale. Can you guess which?"

yup it's definitely the puppet
Edited by Shaddy

Relating to the movie, what if they show off the animatronics at a Chuck E. cheese and replace the regular animatronics with the FNAF ones haha?

"One of the things is this image is not quite to scale. Can you guess which?"

Hidden Content

This is actually really cute. It's so surreal seeing the original cutesy bots in new poses, it's been such a long time. FNAF1 Foxy and Chica are particularly adorable here. I hope Scott releases the official models for SFM and Gmod video makers can use em.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is actually really cute. It's so surreal seeing the original cutesy bots in new poses, it's been such a long time. FNAF1 Foxy and Chica are particularly adorable here. I hope Scott releases the official models for SFM and Gmod video makers can use em.

Depends on their polycount. They were designed for CGI rather than real-time rendering, but who knows. But, yeah, I'd like to see them released as well.

Edited by Candescence

yeah It is great seeing them all together (granted I did notice the shadow animatronics and the fnaf 3 nightmare animatronics are missing...yet even the endoskeletons are there in the group shot) but yeah otherwise seems their all pretty happy to be there even springtrap seems to have a smile on his face even

Oh hey, an "Honest" Game Trailer for FNaF4.

And it's yet again, more fuel for the people who can't seem to comprehend that these games are just mere point-and-click games and think Scott is milking it when making these games don't take much effort for Scott.

Don't worry, I groaned for all of ya.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well it was one year today that Five Nights at Freddy's was released on Steam. Man it's almost like feels like yesterday when I first saw Foxy's scare that ended up scaring me so much that I had a nightmare much like Scott Cawthon that when I saw my bedroom door was open, instead of closed like I left it, I thought Foxy was coming for me and darted out of my room. Ah good times.

• Thumbs Up 2