Awoo.

Pokkén Tournament "Get ready for the next battle on March 18th, worldwide"

Ducktor Naldush

From the ashes of the net, the original post:

So...this game was just announced.

With well-known Bandai as (I suppose) one of his developers, this game sounds like something serious. As in Pokemon actually fighting each other without taking turns serious.

So far, we have; Lucario (unsurprisingly), Blaziken and Machamp (the elephant in the room). Arcade-only, at the moment, and only for Japan. But, as we all know, Street Fighter, BlazBlue and many others (like Tekken) started as Arcade-only games before their coming to consoles. As Dawn would say...no need to worry!

This would also be the first game in ages to give a moment in the spot-light to Pokemon sadly forgotten or just plain ignored, like the main man Machamp.

Of course a game like this will probably have a plethora of Fighting-type critters, and I, for one, would love to see Pangoro, Poliwrath and Mienshao in glorious HD.

What are your thoughts, SSMB?

Now, what we know NOW, after all this time?

The Characters:

Suicune

Blaziken

Machamp

Gardevoir

Pikachu

Gengar

Lucario

Charizard

Weavile

Pikachu Libre

Sceptile

Shadow Mewtwo

Garchomp

Mewtwo

Braixen

Chandelure

No human characters will be added. There were plans for it, but the guys at the top said no.

Gameplay looks like what you would imagine from the Tekken guys; a close arena where pokémon beat the crap out of each other, Pallet Town being one of those stages.

Mega-evolutions will have a really important role in this game. Those who haven't got their megas yet will play the game according to their own rules, like Pikachu being a Heihachi-inspired fighter.

Alternate colours will be featured, but, so far, Shiny colorations won't be part of it.

The game comes out on July 2015 in Japan, at the moment, only in an Arcade format.

Now, let's go back to discuss this game.

Thanks Nald, didn't have the time to do this. 

So Eevee is confirmed non-playable(as an assist), but one of the eevolutions were and still are extremely likely(due to popularity, and pikachu and Suicine prove size and appearance isn't), The question though is which one? Also anybody else hoping for a Serpent Style 'Mon(again which one is up to you)? Also a pair of 'Mons I got my fingers crossed for are Blastoise and Genesect

• 1 month later...

More Pokken fighters to be revealed on the 26th.

Pokkén Tournament has begun its test cycle as different locations are chosen to host the game. Two more location tests have been announced and will take place on April 18th and 19th in the Ibaraki and Chiba prefectures in Japan. On top of this, it has been confirmed that one or more new fighters will be revealed during the NicoNico Chokaigi stage show on April 26th. It is also confirmed that this reveal will include the fighters included in the poll that was recently held on Twitter by Bandai Namco.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zjyv32v7Ql4

Ah, nice to see a quadruped Pokemon in this game. 

Maybe this means Arcanine is a possibility. Please be a possibility. 

finally found this thread again

Nico Nico stream in an hour, has new characters included a fan voted one!
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv216932038

for anyone with an account, take a look, otherwise I'll just post what's gathered over on GAF

I got my fingers crossed for an Eeveelution, or maybe Golurk(a Snake type would be cool though)

edit someones streaming the stream!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm watching the stream now and I see Lucario has some of his moves from Smash implemented into his Pokken moveset. But I will say his Mega super is a lot cooler than how was presented in Smash.

Welp I found my main. I'd said I instamain any Ghost type and now we have Gengar.

I do wanna see more of the other Generations represented if that's any consolation for lack of a better word. Smash used a lot of Gen 1 pokes but this roster so far has shown different pokemon so I have my hopes.

Personally, I'm still hoping for an Eeveelution... though I don't think tonights done either, I think may be in for another reveal, they've been pacing things decently

Japanese language trademark apparently

It is a bit odd though, since the first character is 'Ge'.  'Ga' would be the same as the third character.  Bulbapedia suggests it's based on doppelganger, thus the a.

Gengar was the only new playable Pokémon announced? Awww. D: Well he's still pretty cool so it's good to see him join the roster!

Not really interested in this game, but awesome that Genger is in. He's always been one of my favourite 'mon.

• 1 month later...

We got an update of sorts, the game drops in Japan next month

http://www.serebii.net/news/2015/03-June-2015.shtml

In The Games Department
Pokkén Tournament

Previously, the Pokkén Tournament release period had just been narrowed to the summer. However, Bandai Namco have updated their site and have stated that the arcade machine is to hit Japanese arcades in July 2015. We don't have specific dates, as it is likely to be a gradual rollout across arcades in Japan, but we'll bring coverage as and when we can.

Honestly, I'm not surprised, and I think there are more characters in this than people would think, because they've been playing reveals carefully. Still think there is a chance of a western Christmas season release, but its wait and see time

We got an update of sorts, the game drops in Japan next month

http://www.serebii.net/news/2015/03-June-2015.shtml

Honestly, I'm not surprised, and I think there are more characters in this than people would think, because they've been playing reveals carefully. Still think there is a chance of a western Christmas season release, but its wait and see time

I'll edit the title accordingly. Thanks a bunch, mate!

Not a Problem. So say, in regards to the roster, I've been seeing really conservative size estimates around the web, however I think its going to be good sized, since the game was over halfway done last October, and it seems that they've mainly been cautious with reveals, and saving most of it for game release. Add to that, if there is a Wii-u port, another 4-8 Pokemon would not be unlikely, since they already have a ton of source material to work off of.

So far, all we have to go off of for possible roster size is this image from the arcade tests a few months back

pokken1157.jpg

Now, assuming it doesn't scroll, the icons don't shrink, and that its not a placeholder, there is about enough room for 7 slots in each row with right around 4 rows being able to squeeze in, which makes for 28 slots, removing the 6 known and the random button, that leaves us with another possible 21 Pokemon yet to be revealed, making for a roster of 27 for the arcade version, which seems possible, considering there would likely be a few Pokemon that are easy clones, and fighting style and animating being the primary workload.

Well, that's my thoughts, and with E3 2 weeks away I may as well wait and see if a Wii-u port for Winter/Holidays 2015 gets announced there instead of debating my viewpoint

Not a Problem. So say, in regards to the roster, I've been seeing really conservative size estimates around the web, however I think its going to be good sized, since the game was over halfway done last October, and it seems that they've mainly been cautious with reveals, and saving most of it for game release. Add to that, if there is a Wii-u port, another 4-8 Pokemon would not be unlikely, since they already have a ton of source material to work off of.

So far, all we have to go off of for possible roster size is this image from the arcade tests a few months back

pokken1157.jpg

Now, assuming it doesn't scroll, the icons don't shrink, and that its not a placeholder, there is about enough room for 7 slots in each row with right around 4 rows being able to squeeze in, which makes for 28 slots, removing the 6 known and the random button, that leaves us with another possible 21 Pokemon yet to be revealed, making for a roster of 27 for the arcade version, which seems possible, considering there would likely be a few Pokemon that are easy clones, and fighting style and animating being the primary workload.

Well, that's my thoughts, and with E3 2 weeks away I may as well wait and see if a Wii-u port for Winter/Holidays 2015 gets announced there instead of debating my viewpoint

It actually looks like about 5 per row to me and 3 per column. So about 14 total.

It actually looks like about 5 per row to me and 3 per column. So about 14 total.

Its at an angle, pretty sure you can fit at least 6 per a row, if not 7. As for collumns, it looked tight, but was pretty sure you fit a fourth row in. Add in an it being an 8th smaller it definately would.

I'm saying at least 18-21, though I still think 28 is possible. and Again that's not counting the additions for a home port, just the arcade release. Home ports generally add more fighters