Awoo.

Nefarious - Be the Bad Guy!

Dr. Mechano

HOLY EVIL GUACAMOLE!

I was already interested in this game, but, wow, Dr. Mechano is in this game? Your Dr. Mechano? That's beyond awesome, man!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oho! I chuckled heartily when I saw THE Dr Mechano in that video! This one is definitely on my wishlist!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Big update!

I have beta-tested the game, and it was wonderful. 

While I can't spoil anything, I must say that it's exceeded my expectations! And my expectations were already high, mind you. It's got great gameplay, witty writing, lovable characters, gorgeous visuals, and an amazing soundtrack. And hey, my own character Dr. Mechano even shows his mustachioed mug in this game!

What I can definitely say is that this is the game I've dreamed of for years. As a longtime fan of characters like Eggman, Tron Bonne, Peridot, Megamind, and other lovable evil geniuses, it's really fantastic to see a game like this. Without spoiling too much, I'll also say that Crow's more than just a funny send-up to classic baddies; He's actually a fairly nuanced, interesting character who gets decently fleshed out, especially for a platformer story. But you'll just have to see for yourselves when you play the game!

Expect the game to release soon! And when it does, I definitely recommend you all play it. I personally couldn't put it down!

I'm not sure when the public release will be. There are still bugs to work out, and I'm not sure how long that sort of thing takes, but I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop!

Also, I've made a subreddit for Nefarious! So that fans can discuss the game, share fanwork, and get to know each other! It's obviously a bit slow now since the game's not out, but keep an eye on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NefariousGame/

• Thumbs Up 7

I never heard of this game before I read this topic... It looks really interesting! The kidnapping princesses part looks cute somehow. xD

There is not nearly enough games out there that let you play as a amusing cartoon style villein... and it's a crime I say! (Pun intended) I wish it'd happen more often... I mean how could you not want to at least sometimes play as characters such as Dr.Eggman? Bowser? Risky Boots from Shantae? It's way to fun to play as them I say! Sure maybe I'm bias as I have been working on games/stories revolving around kinda villein characters myself. There's just a lot of untapped potential in the genre in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...

Nefarious releases this Monday, everyone!

And we're throwing a special contest giveaway to celebrate!

By simply submitting fanart of the game, you'll be entered into a drawing and get a chance to win a free copy of the Steam version of Nefarious, for yourself or (if you're already getting one due to backing the game) for a friend!

Please submit any entries in the reddit thread linked below, but feel free to share them here in the SSMB thread too!

I'm so hyped that the game will be out in less than a week! Let's celebrate by sharing our creativity!

@Dr. Mechano Looks like the game's raring to go for a fun romping. Expect a playthrough courtesy of moi and further exposure courtesy of SCWRM Comms, my good man!

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

@Dr. Mechano Looks like the game's raring to go for a fun romping. Expect a playthrough courtesy of moi and further exposure courtesy of SCWRM Comms, my good man!

Nice. Glad to see you guys are still doing your thing!

If you ever want me to guest-commentate during your Nefarious playthrough, hit me up!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm excited for this game, but I won't get to play it until it gets released on WiiU.

Er...IF it gets released on WiiU.

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm excited for this game, but I won't get to play it until it gets released on WiiU.

Er...IF it gets released on WiiU.

It will.

Josh Hano, the game's creator, recently confirmed that the Wii U version is still planned.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Dr. Mechano said:

It will.

Josh Hano, the game's creator, recently confirmed that the Wii U version is still planned.

Ah, thank goodness. I'm sad that with the WiiU pretty much dead, the game's sales on that system will probably suffer, but I'll sure pick up a copy to support it!

I backed the game when I first heard of it, so I was very happy to see the email for the notifications pop up. That monday, I entered the code, downloaded the game, and got to playing.

What else can I say? I loved this game beginning to end. The simple but charming story and humor, the loveable characters, and the overall art direction the game has. It wasn't a perfect experience though, as there were times where I had encounters with bugs, the occasional difficulty spike, and (This is not the fault of the game mind you,) my PC lagging the game out, I quite enjoyed it all. The bugs will probably be worked out, seeing as how the game is in v 1.0 at the moment.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a sequel and seeing more of this world and characters in it. I think Nefarious has a ton of potential with its worldbuilding and video game parodies. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I had not heard of this game until now, but I like the concept and the art style, so I picked it up on Steam. I've only played through the first two stages so far, but I've really enjoyed what I've played. It's a lot of fun, and the dialogue is great. I'm glad I stumbled into this topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

At long last, we can be the bad guy on the Switch!

This game has had my intrigue since the Kickstarter was first announced, so I'm stoked to finally get my hands on it! Villain protagonists are one of my favorite concepts, so getting to fight on the other side of bosses is just mind-blowing!

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Is it a good game?

I haven't played the game myself, so feel free to turn me out. From what I've read, people were left dissapointed by it, finding the gameplay and bosses bland, the visuals and audio lacking polish, and the writing to faulter in certain areas. Well I guess that how it goes when every boss fight has complete changes in gameplay with little flow between them.

A darn shame, since I know that villian centric games have worked in the past. One day they'll be a game that can do playable boss fights right. Though we'll see if this had gotten any better for the Switch version.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping this topic since it's out now for Switch and I beat it.

I want to like it. I want to like it so dang bad. The characters are delightful. The writing is incredibly charming and witty, almost reminding me of Shantae. The story is fun. But the gameplay...my gosh, what went wrong with this thing? The controls are so finicky and half of my attacks don't even hit my targets. It wasn't too bad to start with, but it's really noticeable by the end of the game when the screen is full of enemies to the point of almost being unfair.

I really want to finish the game 100% so I can get the good ending, but it's so dang irritating that it's hard for me to drum up the effort.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Hey, I know this is a bit of a bump, but I thought fans of Nefarious might like to know that Josh Hano - the game's creator - is doing an official continuation in the form of a comic: 

https://nefariouslair.com/

He has no immediate plans to do another game in the series anytime soon, but if you liked the world and characters of Nefarious, you can see more of Crow's adventures in comic form!

I'm very glad the story is continuing in comic format. The game itself was incredibly subpar, so I feel this is far and away the best way to keep the franchise going.

• Thumbs Up 2