Awoo.

Yooka-Laylee (Playtonic's spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie / ONE, PS4, PC)

Junko

The creative talent behind Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country reveal an all-new platforming adventure for consoles and PC!
2ed734d7bd8f65f10545f759184fb9ed_origina

Yooka-Laylee is an all-new 3D platformer from the creative talent behind the Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country games. We’ve come together to form Playtonic Games and create a spiritual successor to our most cherished work from the past!
Our new heroes, Yooka (the green bloke with no pants) and Laylee (the wisecracking lady-bat with the big nose) were conceptualised from the ground up for stellar platforming gameplay, created by the same character artist behind the rebooted Donkey Kong family and legendary N64 heroes Banjo and Kazooie.

Using an arsenal of special moves like Yooka’s tongue grapple and Laylee’s tactical sonar blast, players will explore – and expand – gorgeous 3D worlds drawn up by esteemed environment artist Steven Hurst (Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Pinata) and through skill discover the plethora of delicious collectibles hidden within.

af60ee6f31bafedd3e9b6b3bea9f4bba_origina

Heroes Built for Fun: Our new buddy-duo were dreamed up specifically for entertaining platforming gameplay and exceptional colour coordination. We think we've captured the spirit of our past heroes while introducing our most inventive moves yet.

An Arsenal of Abilities: Sonar blasting, tongue whipping, sky soaring… a move roster built for platforming fun – and unlocked with added freedom. Additionally, there may or may not be a move involving a giant fart bubble.

d74c478d542e02dee978240a022654eb_origina

A Dream Soundtrack: David Wise (Donkey Kong Country) and Grant Kirkhope (Banjo-Kazooie) combine in what's sure to be a melodic masterpiece! Seriously, clean out your ears - they're in for a treat.

Collect-em-up 2.0: A roster of shiny collectibles with gameplay progression at their core (as well as other, more valuable materials). Every collectible type in our new game will expand gameplay in a meaningful way. Yes, we employ the man responsible for DK64's myriad of trinkets, but we've had a stern word. Our main collectible, Pagies, are used to unlock and expand new worlds in Yooka-Laylee.

Expandable Worlds: Experience more of the playgrounds you love by spending collectibles to expand your favourites into bigger, more challenging worlds.

3f90c2146697aeede655e1390e98382c_origina

A Cast to Last: A huge cast of memorable characters to meet (or beat) brought to life by the art and audio teams behind Banjo-Kazooie and destined to endure in future games as part of Playtonic Universe. Expect all manner of grunts, squeaks and squawks.

Introducing Play Tonics: Discover these unique gameplay modifiers and use them to customise gameplay to suit your style. Will you run faster, hit harder or fly further? Also, are they named after our studio or vice versa? We'll never know.

Arcade machines: Each world hides at least one secret arcade game encasing old-school gaming goodness. Complete its retro-tastic challenge to claim your Pagie!

Yooka-Laylee will feature a truly mouth-watering (ear-leaking?) soundtrack created in collaboration by three of gaming’s greatest composers, the legendary David Wise (Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong Racing), equally esteemed Banjo-Kazooie composer Grant Kirkhope (Viva Piñata, GoldenEye 007) and Banjo and Conker sound effects supremo Steve Burke (Kameo: Elements of Power). 

This is one musical performance you definitely won’t want to miss! Don't believe us? Listen to the early excerpts below and tell us you're not excited. Go on, we dare ya.

c7b8eec82d2d488caf96becefbaea944_origina

What's more we've already had Chris Sutherland - part time programmer, full time voice actor extraordinaire - locked in the recording booth to bring his iconic 'gibberish' style to the characters (and googly-eyed objects) of Yooka-Laylee, ensuring a genuine audio treat. You might as well play it with your eyes closed, to be honest.

Platforms & Stretch Goals

If our initial Kickstarter funding goal is reached, backers can be assured that the Playtonic team will deliver a complete and satisfying game package. However, given the opportunity and additional resources required, we have a list of ‘dream’ additional extras – and release structures - that we’d love to deliver in order to make Yooka-Laylee an even better game.

If funded, Yooka-Laylee will be released for Windows, Mac, LinuxXbox One, PlayStation 4 and Wii U. However, the exact release timing and scope of each version will be determined by the success of this Kickstarter campaign and specifically, our stretch goals.

We’d love to be able to guarantee a simultaneous, day-one release on all platforms in order to satisfy every Yooka-Laylee backer. In order to do this we’ll need to significantly expand our resources and budget, and if we can reach the funding number required we’d be excited to do so.

Any extra money will of course go towards improving the game. Below is an example of some of the extra features we’ll be able to fulfil by reaching stretch funding goals:

b43344a18e21392e94a563b24548744b_origina

minichart.png

• Thumbs Up 7

This sounds absolutely brilliant and I can't wait to see some gameplay footage. Might end up being better than the new Banjo Kazooie game that's been rumoured. =P

I never played Banjo-Kazooie myself, but I'm intrigued by both this and Hat in Time. I did enjoy Donkey Kong 64, though, despite how that game has such an incredibly massive number of collectibles.

I'm interested but with crowd funding involved and barely any details, I'm not getting excited or whatever right now.

Y'know I know they said 'nothing that distracts from the main gameplay', with the obvious push about Nuts and Bolts, but I honestly feel that one 3D platformer from the N64 did the whole vehicle thing right.

That being Rocket: Robot on Wheels. Honestly, if they do ever look into that, I think that kinda stuff would be really fun. And I want another Bat Bike.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope that eventually we'll get some indication on whether this will take after Banjo-Kazooie's philosophy specifically, or if it'll try to match Tooie and DK64's scale as well. If it's the former I'll be more excited for this

Another thing I'm concerned about is how much it will try to emulate Banjo at all. I lost interest in MN9 due to, among other reasons, it shaping up to be little more than Not!Mega Man. A Hat in Time, another upcoming game that promises a return to the design sensibilities of classic 3D platforming, gives me confidence that it'll at least maintain a unique identity, but at this point it could go either way for Ukulele, and I don't want the limitations of past games hamper its ability to be a better game, which could mean doing many things very differently from Banjo-Kazooie if it has to

Basically I want a game to come out that takes after 3D platforming the same way that Shovel Knight takes after NES platformer games, not something that constantly references past stuff and would have been something else if the developers had the license for the work they were attempting to emulate in the first place. Still, I'm looking forward to this all the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope that eventually we'll get some indication on whether this will take after Banjo-Kazooie's philosophy specifically, or if it'll try to match Tooie and DK64's scale as well. If it's the former I'll be more excited for this

I loved Tooie's interconnected worlds, so I'd love for that to return.

• Thumbs Up 1

So like, everyone is going 'Oh, it looks sort've like a gecko or lizard of some kind' in the picture showing our two heroes eyes.

But like, here's the thing. What if it's not a lizard, but a turtle? I mean, with the whole 'backpack-themed moves' Banjo had from the last game?

I had some skepticism, but I think I'm starting to be convinced, with much certainty, that I want this.

If this game is even half as good as the old BK games, I'll be happy.

Can't remember the last decent collectathon like Banjo-Kazooie, other than Mario 64, Sunshine and DK64. Still hoping Rare does something good with Banjo Kazooie but I reckon the chances of a new Banjo Kazooie game in this console era as next to none.

• 1 month later...

Not even hiding the similarities, but whatever it looks absolutely delightful.

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks so adorable and fun! I MUST PLAY THIS.

Hnnngh, they're so damn adorable! And the animations on them, particularly that roll, are fantastic. Such a charming world. I need this game in my life.

• Thumbs Up 5

I hope this gets the funding to come to Wii U. This definitely looks fun. I only played Banjo-Tooie, but it was definitely a big favorite at the time, so if this is a continuation/refinement of that, I'm on board for it. I love that it feels like a straight-up homage, but the new characters have abilities that separate them from what they were inspired by. And it's also about damn time we got more 3D platformers.

Where did A Hat in Time go?

It's still in development the devs post stuff about the game on their twitter. Anyways this game looks really promising and I hope it does well also the characters look so freaken adorable I want plushies of them now

Lizard looks pretty generic. I'm alright with the bat though.

Apparently we're getting some music tracks soon, so that yould be fun.

Wow, this looks really good! I hope this doesn't disappear or go the route of Mighty No.9, and becomes a success like Shovel Knight. Also, the graphics look really nice and are basically what I want from Sonic; cartoony but not as basic as Lost World.

Where did A Hat in Time go?

The same room Fiona Frightening and the Wicked Wardrobe went apparently :/

I like the designs but I wish Yooka had some clothes or at least something.

From the Playtonic site

Yooka-Laylee (previously ‘Project Ukulele’) is an all-new 3D platformer from the creative talent behind the Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country games. We’ve come together to form Playtonic Games and create a spiritual successor to our most cherished work from the past!

Our new heroes, Yooka (the green one) and Laylee (the wisecracking bat with big nose) were conceptualised from the ground up for stellar platforming gameplay, created by the same character artist behind the rebooted Donkey Kong family and legendary N64 heroes Banjo and Kazooie. Let’s collect some golden trinkets!

Sounds like the characters will be similar to Banjo and Kazooie with the flyer being the meaner one.

Dreamed up by character artist Steve ‘don’t call me Steven’ Mayles – the man behind Banjo, Kazooie and the rebooted Donkey Kong family – we think the bat ‘n chameleon (we’ll let you guess their sexes) are our most inventive protagonists yet, and we’ll tell you just why we’ve deemed that over the next 24 hours.

They haven't said the sex of the characters. I'm thinking it'll be the opposite of Banjo and Kazooie.

Starting right now IGN has the ‘scoop’ (we’re assured that term is still used) on the first ever Yooka-Laylee gameplay footage and feature details. Head over there for ‘the skinny’ and when you’re done visit our brand new game page to see some beautiful artwork.

Tomorrow we’ll publish loads more Yooka-Laylee media (will there be David Wise and Grant Kirkhope tunes? You bet your pedigree gerbil there will be) alongside an interview with their father, Mr. Steven… sorry, Steve Mayles himself.

And then at 5pm BST on Friday it’s the big one, the launch of our Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter campaign. When we first discussed this project the reaction was immense. You flocked to our shop doors like eager amiibo scalpers, and your mouths were full of requests.

You told us you wanted Yooka-Laylee (or whatever it was called back then) to be the best game it could possibly be. You said you wanted sprawling, gorgeous worlds to explore, tons of smartarse characters to meet and inventive moves to learn… and you wanted to do it all on your gaming platform of choice.

When we launch our Kickstarter in less than 24 hours, you can help us tick all of those boxes and more. Together you can help our team create the game they’ve dreamed of making – and you might pick yourself up some cool swag in the process.

Wise and Kirkhope music tomorrow [emoji24] [emoji7]

The same room Fiona Frightening and the Wicked Wardrobe went apparently :/

It's currently in Beta (A Hat in Time, that is). As for Fiona Frightening, it seems there was an additional crowdfunding campaign to try to "revive" its development, but that effort didn't quite reach the amount it was asking for (91% of $1500 was raised). That particular project doesn't seem like it... got very far. All I can find are bits and pieces of artwork here and there; I wasn't even able to find a gameplay clip. It's failure isn't too terribly surprising given the circumstances: What is that game? There's no information on it that I can find. Just art.

Back to a A Hat in Time, it has indeed been in development hell for a while, but its moving along nonetheless and I still have a decent level of interest in it; unlike, say, Mighty No. 9, whose shenanigans I'm growing a little tired of.