Awoo.

Yooka-Laylee (Playtonic's spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie / ONE, PS4, PC)

Junko

Its a fangame made by a group on battlegrounds, and has no affiliation with the actual team

Its a fangame made by a group on battlegrounds, and has no affiliation with the actual team

Oh lol, I didn't catch that.

• 3 weeks later...

And Jan does it again. It's good to know he's still working on stuff.

Also, I'd totally be cool with those voice actors doing optional full voice acting for Yooka, Laylee and Trowser.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's Laylee's canon voice. You can't convince me otherwise

It's the sort of thing that actually makes me wish this game did actually have voice acting rather than the BK jibberish, really. Or at least as an option.

Then again, there's always the voice acting haters. I still don't fathom the hate over the voice acting in the likes of Dust: An Elysian Tail and Freedom Planet, really.

• Thumbs Up 3

Awesome animation. Beautiful colors, voices, and everything else. It'd be great if they released more like this as time goes on to keep people hyped for the game! Then again, I just want to see more.

Anyone who backed the game up and got their E-Mails for the survey today. Have any idea what that color question was all about? Looked like the developers just being curious about what everyone's favorite color was.

Just filled out my survey. Went with PS4 and the color blue.

Oh and be on the look out of this name in the credits

Professor Swindle, PhD

Edited by Balding Spider

• 2 weeks later...

Yooka-Laylee is gonna be published by Team17.

Team17 will publish Yooka-Laylee and says it wants to take the Kickstarter phenomenon to retail.

The 3D platformer generated £2m via crowd-funding in June. It is the spiritual successor to Rare’s Banjo Kazooie and is being created by Playtonic, a studio set-up by former Rare veterans.

Team17 will release Yooka-Laylee next year. The Worms developer moved into publishing in 2013 and has scored a number of hits, such as this year’s prision escape game, The Escapists.

The firm will assist Playtonic with localisation, certification, QA, marketing and other business matters.

“Team17 has significant experience in making the most of releasing a game,” explained Gavin Price, creative lead and studio head at Playtonic.

“Personally I feel it would be a great shame if after our great Kickstarter success, we delivered on our promise of a great game and then it underperformed sales-wise because we didn’t have the knowledge, or made a mistake in the way we released or marketed the game.

“Thanks to our Kickstarter backers, we’re on a really positive trajectory and Team17 is acting like a booster for us on top of that by handling non-game dev tasks.”

Yooka-Laylee is potentially a big deal for Team17. The Banjo Kazooie series was a major seller, and Team17 MD Debbie Bestwick feels the 80,000 people that have already backed the project only represents a small proportion of the game’s eventual audience.

“[This partnership] is probably more significant than either Team17 or Playtonic fully realise right now,” she says. “They are friends of ours and we want to help it make sense for everyone.

“To the industry it’s probably another reason for people to look at what we are doing even closer.  We’ve built an exciting, modern games label here that helps creators achieve their goals with a team who understands what it takes to release a game, all the while keeping full control of their studio and IP. We’re building a strong track record for helping indie devs and Playtonic is going to move that reputation to another level. Our goals and targets remain exactly the same as they always were: to help creators bring their games to market.”

• Thumbs Up 1

So Yooka-laylee got a small video spot courtesy of VG Nation

Sorry for the poor quality, it's all there was.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Artwork, Gif's, an interview and a brief update

Photo-27-08-2015-00-37-08.jpg

bbq-1024x743.jpg

Ghosty.gif

Work continues unperturbed in the energy factory that is the Playtonic Games office. Now occupied by some 14 chairs (and another one that I may have managed to snap in half with my arse), it certainly feels like there’s more going on here than in our previous corridor-come-workspace, where only the occasional sound of Steve Mayles shuffling his FHM collection pierced the eternal, cold silence.

It’s been almost three months since the door slammed shut on our stellar crowdfunding effort for Yooka-Laylee, and you can see that time represented in pretty polygon things animating on our array of monitors.

After just a few months the game’s various environments are taking shape and the very first world is fleshed out and running. This is one of the most challenging constructions of the project, since as well as the environment and challenges, we’ve also had to magic up the moves, animations and basic game mechanics required to make it all work.

More at the Link: http://www.playtonicgames.com/playtonic-labour-update-october-2015/

• Thumbs Up 2

• 7 months later...

sQXUtMg.jpg

Straight up Banjo-Kazooie. Though I do love how laughably stupid the villain's plot is.

Also:

“IF YOU THOUGHT THE CHALLENGES SO FAR WERE TOUGH, WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE MY OUTLOOK FOR Q4 OF THE GAME…”
“A FLURRY OF EXCITEMENT FILLED THE FACTORY FLOOR. EVERYONE HAD ASSEMBLED, FROM THE TOP-TIER BOSS CHARACTERS TO THE TEA MINION FROM SECTOR C. IT WAS FINALLY HERE; TAKEOVER DAY.

THE INGENIOUS TECH FIRM QUACK CORP HAD BEEN SUBJECT TO A HOSTILE SWOOP BY DIABOLICAL PUBLISHING CORPORATION IN HIVORY TOWERS. TOGETHER THEY WERE ABOUT TO LAUNCH THEIR MOST DEVIOUS SCHEME YET, ALL UNDER THE LEADERSHIP OF CUNNING BUZZNESS EXECUTIVE CAPITAL B!”

A little on the nose, no?

• Thumbs Up 1

They're not even being subtle that it's a slap in the face to Microsoft :V

The villian's name is Bill is pretty much a dead giveaway. 

It screams old Rare humor to me. The more I see of this, the more glad I am that I backed it. It might not be the most amazing game to ever exist, but it's going to scratch that decades long itch satisfyingly if this information blow out is any indication.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got hope for the game.

Funny thing is, I didn't back it, but my brother and sister did. I'll keep their names private to protect their identities, but if nothing else, I should play just to see my siblings' names in the credits.

A better look at the two doctors of Yooka-Laylee

Dr. Quack

fc179f34ade613be20beb5ff4591c580_origina

In Yooka-Laylee, Dr. Quack is a ruthless, exosuit-wearing fowl, who’s making the best of a bad situation under the corporate rule of Capital B. The good doctor wasn’t always this unpleasant, but the ruthless takeover of his Quack Corp organisation has persuaded Quack to concoct all manner of crude inventions to satisfy the demands of his new boss – and the shareholders, of course. 

Dr. Puzz

6cba3ed3b9d423f74afc899fa685e70c_origina

Quack’s sweet, naive prodigy, Dr. Puzz proved far more morally rigid than her former colleague, breaking ties with Quack Corp as soon as the exosuits started stirring – and taking her own inventions with her. The tentacled technician – designed by Ed ‘Mumbo Jumbo’ Bryan – is the gateway to all of Yooka-Laylee’s wild and wonderful transformations, which we’ll be revealing in the near future.

Take a close look at her shirt.

• Thumbs Up 1

The whole game's storyline sounds totally stupid and ridiculous... its awesome. :D And the character designs look great, as per usual. I love how they're taking the anthro concept to a new level by using types of animals you wouldn't usually see in this format.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really excited for this, didn't back it but totally there for the wii-u version

I REALLY love the game's art style... Makes me wish modern Sonic games environment style was something bit more similar to this, basically kinda like Sonic Lost World except with more detail and stuff going on... I was not a huge fan of the style in Unleashed or Generations personally.

Anyways I am super looking forward to this game! I've been trying to avoid reading to much because I don't want to spoil the freshness of the game once it's released and in my hands. :^D

Gonna copy/paste this from other forums I go to since I'm lazy. Someone got ahold of the Official PlayStation Magazine issue that's coming out on Tuesday and posted some screenshots. Keep in mind, they aren't the best resolution. http://www.imgur.com/a/ID0g5

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, the game's visuals look really striking and beautiful! It's too awesome for words for me to really say anything else to be honest. This is one of those games I'm seriously looking forward to getting.

• Thumbs Up 1