Awoo.

Windows 10 (PCs, Windows Phone, Tablets, Xbox One / OUT NOW)

Junko

Believe this topic was lost in the wipe, however, I make this topic in the wake of RELEASE DATE NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWS.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/18/8243935/windows-10-release-date-summer-2015

windows_8_logo_wallpapers.0.0.png

Windows 10, the next evolution of Microsoft's flagship operating system, will arrive this summer in 190 countries and be available in 111 languages, Terry Myerson, the executive vice president of the Operating Systems group, announced today on the Windows blog. 

Myerson did not offer an official date for release for the operating system that will power PCs, smartphones, tablets and even the Xbox One. Summer 2015 is June 21 through Sept. 22.

Microsoft revealed the upcoming OS — the successor to Windows 8.1 — at an event last September, when reports said that it would arrive in mid-2015.

Today, at the Windows Hardware Engineering Community summit in Shenzhen, China, Microsoft and Tencent announced that games like League of Legends would be available for Windows 10.

Microsoft held a Windows 10 event in January where it detailed features like Cortana integration, the Xbox app and streaming from Xbox One to Windows PC. At that event, Microsoft also announced that Windows users hoping to upgrade can do so for free with a few conditions.

Also, free even if you pirate Windows.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users this summer, but Microsoft is also extending its offer to software pirates. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," says Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Windows chief, in an interview with Reuters. The move means that thousands, perhaps millions, of machines will get a free copy of Windows 10 even if a license has not been properly acquired. "Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows," says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. "We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies."

Edited by Athena Cykes
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm so ready for Windows 10. 

I hope it's more stable than 8, I've been having trouble with it lately.

Just...please be better than Windows 7. I really want to upgrade but I'm sticking with 7 if it's not an improvement.

Just...please be better than Windows 7. I really want to upgrade but I'm sticking with 7 if it's not an improvement.

Windows 8/Windows 10 are so much faster and more optimized than Windows 7 that it would be silly to stick with Windows 7. Windows 10 also supports Direct X12.

By the way, I don't think the "free for pirates" is 100% confirmed yet. People are arguing if that's China only or if he's just saying that you can upgrade to Windows 10, but it won't be licensed.

Summer release. Okay. I'm fine with that.

Giving the upgrade free. I'm fine with that.

To pirates as well? ... While giving them an upgraded OS for free is all well and good, isn't that just rewarding them for not having payed for an OS in the first place? We'll see how it pans out, I suppose.

Since I'm possibly one of the few that prefer 8 over 7, 10 should be an even better step up. I'm so not feeling the start menu/screen hybrid though. Just doesn't feel right.

Windows 8/Windows 10 are so much faster and more optimized than Windows 7 that it would be silly to stick with Windows 7. Windows 10 also supports Direct X12.

By the way, I don't think the "free for pirates" is 100% confirmed yet. People are arguing if that's China only or if he's just saying that you can upgrade to Windows 10, but it won't be licensed.

8 may be faster yes, but I still don't like using it. As for 10, I shall see soon enough.

I must be living under a rock or something but what about windows 9?

Due to 95 and 98, people were getting asked what OS they were making it for. So they had to go from 8 to 10.

Due to 95 and 98, people were getting asked what OS they were making it for. So they had to go from 8 to 10.

Close, its the code not the name. remember windows is built on top of building code they had for years, so some of the code still reads for "win9x" which is the Windows 90's era (95-XP). Backwards compatibility emulation software for 9x programs is built with 9x code too.

So with "9x" being the windows 9 of that era, microsoft had to jump from 8 to 10 to avoid code interruptions.

in otherwords, blame Microsoft of the 90s era. bastards...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah it is funny, but its coding issues. They couldn't go with 9 because of 95/98.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. If this is a serious improvement I feel like I should have my wife upgrade as well because its a serious security risk if she doesn't. But she's worried about losing application support and has already stated she refuses to update even if it works fine on my PC.

I figured she'd be more concerned about getting hacked by using outdated software than anything... -_-

Well look, everybody wants to jump on board right as it releases but we seriously got 12 months to make up our minds, see what mods come out to improve it, and have patches come out that will build on stability.

I'm sure as hell believing theres going to be launch day bugs. Were free for a year, lets take advantage of that and not upgrade right away.

Well look, everybody wants to jump on board right as it releases but we seriously got 12 months to make up our minds, see what mods come out to improve it, and have patches come out that will build on stability.

I'm sure as hell believing theres going to be launch day bugs. Were free for a year, lets take advantage of that and not upgrade right away.

I'm running Windows 10 right now.

It's the fastest OS I've ever used and I haven't had any stability problems.

From what I've heard, Windows 10 runs really smooth and doesn't have many issues regarding stability. So far it's looking great. I might do a upgrade within the first week of the launch.

I'm waiting for a least a month, you can go through as many technical previews as you want theres always bound to be bugs and security exploits at launch.

I'm waiting for a least a month, you can go through as many technical previews as you want theres always bound to be bugs and security exploits at launch.

Windows 10 is literally Windows 8.2. It just got a name change for marketing reasons.

I guarantee whatever OS you're running on right now has more security exploits than Windows 8 and Windows 10.

I think my W7 is starting to slow after 3 1/2 years of use, so maybe. Then again, my mother is pushing for everyone to get Apple computer's in my family, even if I find it appears to largely be to do with status in a way I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

I blew up my 7 installation trying to get Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed to work (only to get it working fantastically... once), so I'm probably just going to fuck around with 10 until the RTM like I did with 7 back in the day.

Getting kind of ambivalent about all of the qualifiers Microsoft is throwing on their Windows 10 upgrade path, though.

No, that's not it. This is just for OEMs like Dell who puts those "Designed for Windows 10" stickers on the towers and even then, it's optional on the company to put this lock on or not. Besides, who buys OEMs for a custom build?

No, that's not it. This is just for OEMs like Dell who puts those "Designed for Windows 10" stickers on the towers and even then, it's optional on the company to put this lock on or not. Besides, who buys OEMs for a custom build?

Right, corrected.

Still lousy if you ask me, its giving too much power to the company.

I thought OEMs were for Custom Builds? they are versions of Windows that don't need to be tied down to 1 machine, doesn't that make them perfect for custom builds?

It makes sense for companies that release tens of thousands of nearly identical machines. All they have to do is change the product key for each one and their work is all done for them.

Also, holy shit. Windows 10 is like stupid fast. Though I think some of it is from nVidia Optimus not actually working, so the nVidia card is always running.

As someone whose desktop computer is still running Windows 7, albeit a bit sluggish to where multitasking proves somewhat taxing for it at times, would anyone recommend that I give the Windows 10 preview a shot? From what I've read, it seems to be a significant improvement over 8.1 so far.

Right, corrected.

Still lousy if you ask me, its giving too much power to the company.

I thought OEMs were for Custom Builds? they are versions of Windows that don't need to be tied down to 1 machine, doesn't that make them perfect for custom builds?

No, OEMs are actually tied to the PC, as well as having no official support from Microsoft. OEM is for people or companies that make PCs to sell.

I've actually grown to enjoy using Windows 7 quite a bit, honestly. Granted just about 6 months ago I was still stuck with Vista, which was a tad frustrating, so Windows 7 was a huge step up when I first got it.

I'm not one to deny free things, though xP  I'll probably end up getting Windows 10 anyway just to see if I like it or not. If I end up preferring Windows 7, I'll just go back to that with no skin off of my back or anything.

Welp, I knew something was up and I was right:

If you (well, not you specifically Goku) buy an OEM windows computer to put linux on it you're an idiot.

If you're proficient enough to want to run Linux you can surely buy a custom built PC somewhere, build your own, or get someone to build one for you. In these situations you'll be able to put whatever you want on it. I mean I kind of get it. It does seem like big coorporations flexing their muscle to lock out the little guy who wants to slap Arch or Ubuntu on a PC, but if you're already buying a prebuild machine you shouldn't tinker with OS stuff anyway.

Don't really see it as a big deal.

• Thumbs Up 1