Awoo.

Windows 10 (PCs, Windows Phone, Tablets, Xbox One / OUT NOW)

Junko

Does it actually stick, or are you just not leaving it long enough?

It took about ten-fifteen minutes for mine to even get off that point.

well, i'm not sure how long i waited, but it was a while.

eh i'll wait longer i guess to see if it moves or not.

Is anyone having the bug where you can't download any third-party apps from the Windows Store? I couldn't get a ton of apps downloading, including Minecraft, Twitter and SteamTiles. The bug seems to be Microsoft's fault and there isn't any way on the user side to fix it

• Thumbs Up 1

The bug has been fixed, apparantly it's an issue regarding Microsoft's servers not being able to handle stuff.

Wut.

Anyway, I was able to try out a few things. I installed two games: Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Beta, and Overkill 3.

So far, Windows 10 plays apps well, and both games supported Xbox Achievements and compatibility.

Minecraft is well... Minecraft. It's exactly what it is. Minecraft. I haven't played this game in forever and the Windows 10 Edition is running a newer version of the game that I haven't played. I tried a game with a friend of mine on Xbox One, and it worked alright. Achievements were bugged to hell and didn't appear on my account till hours after my play-session. It may just be the game honestly :/.

Overkill 3 sucks, so I'll just not talk about it. It's a Windows 8 game and from what I know they work just as well on Windows 10.

Overall, my experience with the OS is pretty positive. I personally don't care for Edge as it's missing some much needed features (Despite it being quite the step up), but everything else is pretty neato. Cortana is a neat addition and it makes it easy to look for things. Apps now aren't fully tabbed windows but their size can now be changed, the Start Menu is a perfect blend with everything I liked about Windows 7 and 8, and it's overall a smooth and great looking OS. At launch, it's gotten some pretty odd stability problems so if you're using Windows 7 I highly recommend you hold off for at least a month or two. If you are using Windows 8 or 8.1, I highly suggest you upgrade ASAP because I'm having way better stability with a OS that came out at launch then a OS that's been patched for years. Windows 10 is probably the last numbered edition for Windows, and I'm fine with that.

I upgraded my work computers to Windows 10 along with my Windows VM that I run on my Mac and I have to say this has been one of the smoothest upgrades I've encountered. It used to be that it was a hit or a miss if you ever did an in-place upgrade of Windows and that it was just better to do a clean install instead. It seems like Microsoft has finally nailed it this time and is certainly a welcome upgrade to Windows 7/8, especially Windows 8. My only complain is that Microsoft Edge still has a bit to be desired compared to Chrome or Firefox, especially since there isn't support for extensions yet.

I'm gonna try out Edge for a bit before switching back to Chrome, but I do like the note taking feature.

After getting home from work I decided to install Windows 10 on my current machine so I could know what to expect for my next build come August. So far it has been smooth sailing with very few if any glitches on my end. I fired up Project CARS on my machine and noticed a consistent framerate especially when using motion blur, numerous AI cars, and a Thunderstorm/Night combination at the Sakitto race track. I would have to say color me impressed with this version of Windows after the hot mess of 8.

I tried using Edge for a little while. It isn't bad, definitely a step up from Internet Explorer, but it's definitely missing a few things to it that really make it worth it. The ability to change the default search engine is greyed out and I can't really do anything with it. There are extensions with Chrome that make my life easier that I wouldn't want to ditch, and the handiness of some things like pressing tab to search a site on Chrome is really handy too.

I think Edge is a good default browser for people who just want to use Windows 10 the way that it comes, but Chrome still stands on top for me.

I didn't even want to risk it with Edge and have been using Fire Fox.  Glad 10 kept the settings.  So far I've been enjoying the new OS and the improvement it's been over 8.  Though I don't appreciate having to fix my display settings again.  The preset displays don't really work for my monitor. 

My Win 10 notification window is acting pretty strange.

I received the notification yesterday, but I couldn´t download Win 10 because my CPU was not compatible. I checked later again, it changed to the old "you want to preorder Win 10?" notification. It´s the 30th and nothing has changed. I guess it´s a matter of waiting, but I can´t help but feel worried.

I did the Windows Update thing but nothing happened.

Edited by Ristar

Loving the Game DVR feature in Windows 10! It's really easy to use and can record pretty much any game on your computer. I've done a small vid showing off the feature whilst playing Sonic Dash. The video quality of your captures can be changed in the settings to be better through the Xbox App settings. 

Ok. My laptop is upgrading now but I see it says copying files. Are these just Windows files or all of my data on my hard drive? I wanted to do a clean install but I didn't see there being any options before.. so.. does that come later? Or did I miss something?

Ok. My laptop is upgrading now but I see it says copying files. Are these just Windows files or all of my data on my hard drive? I wanted to do a clean install but I didn't see there being any options before.. so.. does that come later? Or did I miss something?

It's all the data on your hard drive, I'm pretty sure. It's copying all your files and programs to Windows 10.

Ok well anyway. It failed. And now it's redownloading. Actually no.. it's preparing to install now. Sooo.. now that I have the chance to redo it, where can I set what type of installation I want? 

Ok well anyway. It failed. And now it's redownloading. Actually no.. it's preparing to install now. Sooo.. now that I have the chance to redo it, where can I set what type of installation I want? 

I don't know if you can. It never gave me the option (not that I would've taken it anyway).

Oh. But I heard people say you can do a clean install... I'll go ask in the status updates in case a member that's done it can tell me how. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So, there's two things I'd like to note about the OS:

1) Playing games with Game DVR on seems to cause vsync to enable no matter the game setting. Turn it off if you're playing games like TF2. Also, TF2 Borderless Window has vsync even if you do that.

2) If you want the original volume slider, download this Registry Edit: http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1821

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh. But I heard people say you can do a clean install... I'll go ask in the status updates in case a member that's done it can tell me how. 

DON'T do a clean install first. Upgrade first, so that your license key is converted for use for Windows 10.

Edited by Ming Ming Yuigahama

DON'T do a clean install first. Upgrade first, so that your license key is converted for use for Windows 10.

Yeah I kinda found out by looking it up. I'm upgrading through Windows Update now. Currently at 11%. Hopefully it will go through this time.

After the update I should be able to find a liscence key, right? From what I read the clean install requires a key which you can get after upgrading.

Okay so Windows 10 is available for upgrade. If you haven't got any notification about it being ready for upgrade right now, that's because you received a download error or you didn't update Windows.

First, let's check if you are up to date with Windows. Go to Windows Update from your Control Panel, and check for updates. If it found important or optional Windows KB updates, install them all. You maybe asked to restart your computer.

Once those updates are done, yay! Windows 10 should start downloading...however, there will be some unlucky people (happened to me) who got a 80240020 error. This means at some point, the Windows 10 update got corrupted or just failed to download.

Don't worry, it's an easy fix. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" from My PC/My Computer and delete everything in that folder.

Open Command Prompt (as admin).

Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". You'll get nothing after that, which is normal. Head back to Windows Update from your Control Panel and you'll see it downloading!

If it failed again though, it's because the servers are getting hammered probably and you'll have to do the whole fix process again.

Alright. I've tried this like 10 times. And i still can't update. I know I'm eligible for the upgrade but it keeps failing or corrupting. What should I do?

Alright. I've tried this like 10 times. And i still can't update. I know I'm eligible for the upgrade but it keeps failing or corrupting. What should I do?

Illuminati confirmed.

Check if any files are possibly conflicting with the system. Worst case scenario, you might have to wipe your hard drive (Backup everything of course) and clean it up a bit. If you have any viruses it may be also what's causing the problem.

Or it's simply just a problem that'll probably be fixed later. Do you get an error code when it happens?

Illuminati confirmed.

Check if any files are possibly conflicting with the system. Worst case scenario, you might have to wipe your hard drive (Backup everything of course) and clean it up a bit. If you have any viruses it may be also what's causing the problem.

Or it's simply just a problem that'll probably be fixed later. Do you get an error code when it happens?

It did say some file on my pc were not compatible. That may be why it wont install/update.

Did you know Windows 10 distributes updates via P2P, quietly using up your bandwidth for folks with monthly caps? Here's how to turn that shit off.

Mostly I'm really satisfied with Windows 10, but there's a few things that really piss me off, like this.

Also:

From your friendly neighborhood /g/eeks if you want to disable Win 10's more invasive features. Hope you feel comfortable ferreting around:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Use a local account, and not a Microsoft account
> Finish installing W10
> Use Free alternatives to Microsoft's default software/services
> Go to Settings > Privacy, and disable everything
> In the Privacy page, go to Feedback, select Never in the first box, and Basic in the second box
> Go to Settings > Update and Security > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered, and turn the first switch off
> Disable Cortana by clicking the Search bar/icon
> Disable web search in Search by going to Settings, and turning off "Search online and include web results"
> Launch cmd as an admin, and enter the following:
> sc delete DiagTrack
> sc delete dmwappushservice
> echo "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
> Launch gpedit.msc as an admin
> Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds
> Disable Telemetry
> Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive
> Enable "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage"
> Launch regedit as an admin
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection
> Change AllowTelemetry's value to 0
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc, then open the Hosts file
> Add all the addresses from this link (http://paste2.org/A1sv86VF) into the file, then save it

> Do not use Express Settings during installation. Hit Customize, and make sure everything is turned off

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And you can get a more intensive one here: http://pastebin.com/sxfj9ruD

Edited by goku262002