Awoo.

Windows 10 (PCs, Windows Phone, Tablets, Xbox One / OUT NOW)

Junko

Time to revive this old chestnut, because we have the successor to Internet Explorer. Microsoft Edge.

Time to revive this old chestnut, because we have the successor to Internet Explorer. Microsoft Edge.

I really want to make a joke like "OW the Edge", but on a serious note, this browser looks pretty rad. We'll just see if it performs just as smooth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently the Edge browser extensions won't be available at launch. That really sucls because without extensions, the browser will be a no-go for many people. Hopefully it'll be too long after launch when extension support is included.

The latest Windows 10 build is rock solid. It's probably the most stable and functional build so far. I haven't had any problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 could be the last major version of the Windows OS. If the OS is good though, I wouldn't mind this. Just make what would be put in new OSes as a upgrade or something, that's perfectly fine.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/11/with-windows-10-the-os-becomes-a-service-instead-of-a-series-of-major-releases/#.htnlff:auKs

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/11/windows-10-will-be-microsofts-last-version-of-windows

So, should I try Windows 10? What I've read about it seems to inticate it's worth getting the preview.

So, should I try Windows 10? What I've read about it seems to inticate it's worth getting the preview.

Yes, but I recommend you try it in a virtual machine instead of on a production machine.

It is amusing how quickly Microsoft backtracked from that. Even the earlier, quieter retractions were worth a chuckle.

• 2 weeks later...

My PC (running W8.1) just updated with a little Windows Icon on the bottom-right screen / taskbar. It has a brief rundown on W10 to persuade users to reserve a downloadable copy when it releases so you can upgrade for free (worth noting it is a limited time event though).

Windows Media player is losing support with Win10 and we no longer have control over our Windows updates. (The Verge)

What makes them think thats a good idea? I like holding back on updates in case theres a bug that crashes a program with an update, which has happened before. Auto-updating is never a good idea for people outside casual use.

I'm wondering whatever or not I should reserve the free upgrade. Windows 10 looks really cool and I want to jump on it, but I have no idea whatever or not it'll prevent me from playing games due to a different OS or certain things not working because they aren't supported by Windows 10.

Edit: Just checked, seems like everything will work fine on my computer should I upgrade. still concerned about my games though.

I'm tempted to upgrade. I ran the checker and it seems it will run on my laptop, buuuut;

maZNJ2H.png

Seems like there could be some bluetooth incompatibilities initially. Oddly I don't have half the bluetooth things it's saying would have problems, but even so. Given I use a bluetooth mouse, I'm erring on the edge of caution. Think I'll wait until a little after release and then upgrade depending on what I hear.

So, I'm currently running Windows 8.1 (upgraded from Windows 8) but the Windows 10 icon hasn't shown up on the taskbar yet. Am I the only one, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Windows Media player is losing support with Win10 and we no longer have control over our Windows updates. (The Verge)

What makes them think thats a good idea? I like holding back on updates in case theres a bug that crashes a program with an update, which has happened before. Auto-updating is never a good idea for people outside casual use.

It's only the Windows 10 Home users that have no control. If you want more control, get the one with more features. Businesses or ones that use OSes more professionally need to have a choice as it might screw with their equipment as opposed to a more casual user.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's only the Windows 10 Home users that have no control. If you want more control, get the one with more features. Businesses or ones that use OSes more professionally need to have a choice as it might screw with their equipment as opposed to a more casual user.

I'm tempted to upgrade. I ran the checker and it seems it will run on my laptop, buuuut;

maZNJ2H.png

Seems like there could be some bluetooth incompatibilities initially. Oddly I don't have half the bluetooth things it's saying would have problems, but even so. Given I use a bluetooth mouse, I'm erring on the edge of caution. Think I'll wait until a little after release and then upgrade depending on what I hear.

Ah okay, thanks. Looks like my laptop can run it perfectly fine. Should I perhaps backup all my files just in case something goes wrong though?

Is the diagnostics tool on the MS website as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah okay, thanks. Looks like my laptop can run it perfectly fine. Should I perhaps backup all my files just in case something goes wrong though?