Awoo.

Kojima leaving Konami after MGSV due to internal fallout / Reduction in KojiPro Senior Staff (Rebranding)

Carbo

Konami's recent list of executive appointments starting April do not list Kojima as an executive.

http://www.konami-digital-entertainment.co.jp/en/news/release/2015/0304/?cm_sp=01-_-release-_-20150304-e

Kojima Productions' website now redirects to Konami's main site. Site also has link to the official MGS Twitter rather than Kojima's.

http://www.kjpla.konami.com/

All mentions of "A Hideo Kojima Game" have been removed on all MGS5 related websites and on the MGS5 box arts.

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/

They've retroactively removed the above tagline as well for MGS Legacy Collection.

https://www.konami.com/mgs/

Former job listings for KojiPro are now non-existant, instead listing jobs for Konami Los Angeles Studio (based in the same area)

http://www.konami-digital-entertainment.com/jobs.php

Big things going down at Outer Heaven.

UPDATE: Kojima is leaving Konami after MGSV.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-expected-to-leave-konami-after-mgs5-inside-/1100-6426024/

A fallout between Kojima Productions and its owning publisher, Konami, has led to senior staff at the studio being restricted access to corporate internet, emails, and phone, GameSpot understands.

Along with the restricted communications, key developers at the studio, such as Hideo Kojima, will now have limited opportunities to lend their appearance to promotions of the studio’s upcoming game, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Power struggles between Kojima Productions and Konami have led the publisher to make drastic changes, including the employee status of its Metal Gear team. Some senior staff at the studio, including Kojima, now essentially work as contractors, not permanent employees.

The extraordinary measures were revealed by a source within the studio, speaking to GameSpot on the condition of anonymity. The person explained that, once the Phantom Pain project is finished, in all likelihood the management at the studio will disband.

"After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami. They said their contract ends in December," the source claimed.

The person added: "At a team meeting, Mr Kojima explained that team have to be one and make a good game for fans."

HIRE HIM SONY

Konami has been a joke for years and they have been seriously weighing him down. He's all they had left as far as quality goes - so there's a silver lining here. He'll find work wherever he damn well pleases and I'm sure anyone with "Kojima Productions" on their resume will be fine.

Fingers crossed we get a Clover -> Platinum-esque transition out of this. I don't give a shit about non-Kojima Metal Gear games as is and he can finally make what he wants.

• Thumbs Up 3

But...But...What about Metal Gear Rising 2 ;-;

That's not a real Metal Gear Kojima game anyway it'll be fine

• Thumbs Up 1

I just really hope everything will turn good for Kojima, he made a lot of original ideas. maybe he trying to make something different this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hunh, wonder if he'll wind up going down the same path as Itakagi, going independent, but deciding Nintendo is the best place for his next big idea

but deciding Nintendo is the best place for his next big idea

ew, what 

ew, what

ew

what

Kojima's games are nothing like anything Nintendo ever does. Sony does cinematic games. It's kind of their signature as a publisher just like shooters for MS and platformers for Nintendo. Kojima's games are hallmarks in PlayStation history. His games not only fit PlayStation culture, he was practically the one that founded that culture with MGS on the PS1. 

If he goes to any of the big 3 (and only if he goes to any of the big 3) it has to be Sony. Not fucking Nintendo, christ. His games are like the antithesis to Nintendo in almost every way.

• Thumbs Up 2

What the hell Konami. You just got rid of the only guy that kept your team alive because he still made games that didn't suck ass! Now Silent Hills is left without Kojima at the helm and any future MGS won't be great either. That is, if Konami decide to continue making those games without the creator. Otherwise, it looks like MGSV will be the last in the series and Snake will go the way of Megaman.

And yeah I have to agree there with Sami. Kojima is a MUCH better fit with Sony than Nintendo. Most of his games were exclusive to Playstation and many of those games didn't appear on Nintendo consoles bar a few.

• Thumbs Up 1

ew, what 

ew, what

ew

what

Kojima's games are nothing like anything Nintendo ever does. Sony does cinematic games. It's kind of their signature as a publisher just like shooters for MS and platformers for Nintendo. Kojima's games are hallmarks in PlayStation history. His games not only fit PlayStation culture, he was practically the one that founded that culture with MGS on the PS1. 

If he goes to any of the big 3 (and only if he goes to any of the big 3) it has to be Sony. Not fucking Nintendo, christ. His games are like the antithesis to Nintendo in almost every way.

Dude, look at Devil's Third, it's not your standard Nintendo title, its dark, on the other hand its also ridiculous, over the top and pure crazy, and totally fits

Its not about what he's made in the past it all depends on the next idea

Dude, look at Devil's Third, it's not your standard Nintendo title, its dark, on the other hand its also ridiculous, over the top and pure crazy, and totally fits

Its not about what he's made in the past it all depends on the next idea

I'm not even just talking about tone. Nintendo is all about gameplay first. Kojima isn't and never has been. He doesn't fit the corporate culture. He doesn't make that kind of game. Not to mention his games have always been pushing boundaries technologically - if anything he'd be dying to do something with VR, I'd imagine. 

Nintendo is no place for Hideo.

What the hell Konami. You just got rid of the only guy that kept your team alive because he still made games that didn't suck ass! Now Silent Hills is left without Kojima at the helm and any future MGS won't be great either. That is, if Konami decide to continue making those games without the creator. Otherwise, it looks like MGSV will be the last in the series and Snake will go the way of Megaman.

And yeah I have to agree there with Sami. Kojima is a MUCH better fit with Sony than Nintendo. Most of his games were exclusive to Playstation and many of those games didn't appear on Nintendo consoles bar a few.

pfft lol Konami's absolutely gonna try to keep the series going

it'll be cute seeing how badly they fuck it up

• Thumbs Up 2

If Kojima goes to Nintendo, we might get Snake back in Brawl guize :V

Real talk though, I'd love to start hearing about some of the behind the scenes things so we can paint a picture. Admittedly, I've had no idea how badly Konami have been doing in recent years.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Kojima goes to Nintendo, we might get Snake back in Brawl guize :V

Real talk though, I'd love to start hearing about some of the behind the scenes things so we can paint a picture. Admittedly, I've had no idea how badly Konami have been doing in recent years.

They had Kojima and Ok Soccer Game as their only valuable assets. They just lost one of them.

They're boned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yu-Gi-Oh...I think that's the only thing they have now if they don't continue making MGS games without Kojima and leave franchises like Silent Hill, Bomberman and Castlevania in limbo.

Sounds like they won't last much longer. 8I

No surprise, really; I think Kojima was the last big name they had left.  Konami's been haemorrhaging talent for years, and it's no coincidence that it's occurred in parallel with a ruthless drive to outsource everything to the point where they no longer actually develop games at all.  They disbanded Team Silent and lost some of them, they outsourced Castlevania and lost IGA, they recently lost the Love Plus guy as well - Kojima was next in line, one way or another.

Oh shit.

Just what in the fuck happened?! do we know anything yet?!

Fuck I'm panicking.

Konami's restructuring. They don't like how people see their best games as the works of individual developers and studios like Kojima Productions and Team Silent, and they instead want people to see them as Konami games. 

Their ego is showing, basically. Trying to take credit for shit that isn't really theirs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013350

• Thumbs Up 1

Konami's restructuring. They don't like how people see their best games as the works of individual developers and studios like Kojima Productions and Team Silent, and they instead want people to see them as Konami games. 

Their ego is showing, basically. Trying to take credit for shit that isn't really theirs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013350

Oh this is fucked up beyond compare.

Kojima must be losing his god damned mind right now knowing that the studio hes worked on building for years is shutting down and merging into Konami.

Wii U exclusive

Don't even joke like that Auto. >=(

Metal Gear Rising should still be okay since it's not a Hideo Kojima game. I guess it's up to Konami themselves if Platinum Games can make a sequel.

They've just shut down the twitter accounts for the Metal Gear Solid too! https://twitter.com/Kojima_Pro_Live/status/578473094995542016

Now moved to here: https://twitter.com/metalgear_en

Konami have just posted... this... https://twitter.com/Konami/status/578582980769153024

Also check this out, this was an image posted by Kojima a few days ago...

CAMtqvAUsAIgVdq.jpg

Notice how snake is wiping a tear from his face... but put this along with others and you get this...

xuiAig0.png

Sounds like this was on the cards for a while. 

Wii U exclusive

Quot+tomato+paste+quot+_5e10fad090eeb5e1

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh come on, Nintendo Kojima wouldn't be so bad! I can see it now...

"Metal Gear Rising 2. Only on Wii U. Rated E10 for Comic Mischief, Mild Violence and Crude Humor."

Anyways this is kind of sad to hear... I mean, I've never played any MGS games, so it doesn't affect me directly. Still... I wonder how bad the games will become with Kojima gone.