Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

There's nothing wrong with Nostalgia. The Mario series tend to do that a lot however as long as they're actually willing to expand the older ideas and bring something new to the table then I wont have a problem with it. Im just being optimistic here. By the time the next main series game comes out it will be 3 years since Lost World came out that would give them plenty of time to prefect the parkour gameplay. I may be asking for too much here but I would like to play as the friends again just as long as they play similar to sonic. Im getting tired of playing as just him at this point.

Do we even know for sure if parkour will return?

could be cool to see return, in a 2D or 3D game if used right. Though like the classic rumor, I'll wait until I hear more.

Edited by KHCast

Do we even know for sure if parkour will return?

Of course we don't.

Of course we don't.

exactly, and given the reception lost world got, I'm inclined to just wait and see. If it happens, cool hope it's done well, if not, no sleep lost.

Guys, take into account that the classic Sonic thing might not be referring to games, but probably merchandising. 

More Classic stuff? Well as the great Darth Vader once said:

Come on SEGA, stop, just stop. Look give me another Adventure; give me another Unleashed; another Heroes; another Storybook; hell, give me another '06. Just move on, do something fresh! I swear, if I see another checkerboard I'm going to puke.

• Thumbs Up 1

exactly, and given the reception lost world got, I'm inclined to just wait and see. If it happens, cool hope it's done well, if not, no sleep lost.

Unleashed got poor reception but that didn't stop Sonic Team from expanding on the boost formula.  I think it would be pretty dumb is they had a new gameplay style and just abandoned it.

Come on SEGA, stop, just stop. Look give me another Adventure; give me another Unleashed; another Heroes; another Storybook

At which point do we stop calling these nostalgic or classic? 

• Thumbs Up 4

Unleashed got poor reception but that didn't stop Sonic Team from expanding on the boost formula.  I think it would be pretty dumb is they had a new gameplay style and just abandoned it.

the Werehog sections were the main beef with people. The day sections were for the most part praised, and sega took notice.

i didn't see that many critics praise the parkour itself on the other hand. And this is Sega, no stranger to dumb decisions.

Mario's use of nostalgia is different in that a lot of it is simply indistinguishable from the series' style trademarks, which are consistently used with a contextual understanding of why they were originally appealing in the first place. This also allows them to update these tropes properly to maintain their original charm without being alienating. Sonic's not been as successful at this, either because the updates to the material have been lackluster in their understanding of the source material or on their own technical merits (S4), or because the nostalgia is used in such a vacuous context that it's overwhelmingly obvious it's there in a meta sense and not an artistic one (Gens). It's the difference between seeing the Bowser tossing bosses we've had since 64 as just the way Mario does things, no different from jumping on Goombas to kill them, and seeing the Perfect Chaos boss in Gens as inferior to the original due to the fact that none of the narrative weight of the climax that made it special in the first place was present in the game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Are we totally sure that, when they say Classic Sonic, they mean the cute short Sonic, and not Legacy a.k.a. any Sonic that is non-Boom?

If the Legacy term is now being used as an internal and PR distinction to mean the non-Boom Sonic from 1999 onwards, wouldn't they have said that, especially since "Classic Sonic" is a heavily loaded term that means a very specific thing?

Classic Sonic for the 25th anniversary. I already got one of those from the 20th, thanks.

Unless... Nah. Impossible.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, SaTAM, Sonic OVA, and Sonic Underground Blu-Ray collection, anyone?

We have gotten something fresh.

It's called Sonic Boom.

Executed right? No. But it was something fresh. And the games let you play as characters other than Sonic. And people are complaining about nostalgia when it has been done in many Sonic games, some more blatant than others.

Everyone's getting worked up over absolutely nothing.

Come on SEGA, stop, just stop. Look give me another Adventure; give me another Unleashed; another Heroes; another Storybook; hell, give me another '06. Just move on, do something fresh! I swear, if I see another checkerboard I'm going to puke.

You know Adventure and Heroes had a level with a checkerboard, right?

Edited by SSF1991

We have gotten something fresh.

It's called Sonic Boom.

Executed right? No. But it was something fresh. And the games let you play as characters other than Sonic.

Everyone's getting worked up over absolutely nothing.

I think that's the problem, though. I want something fresh and enjoyable, and Sonic Boom just doesn't quite cut it on the front of the latter.

Implicitly telling people who aren't happy with the rumors to be happy with Boom even while recognizing that it's bad is on par with how shitty it was telling Classic fans to be happy with Sonic 4 while Sega showed no signs of slowing down on Boost games.

Actually it's worse. We didn't ask for bad games in irrelevant spinoff franchise off to the side.

• Thumbs Up 4

If the Legacy term is now being used as an internal and PR distinction to mean the non-Boom Sonic from 1999 onwards, wouldn't they have said that, especially since "Classic Sonic" is a heavily loaded term that means a very specific thing?

Yeah, but PR gets easily confused. I admit I don't have much faith in them, but they're probably correct this time, they're talking about Classic Sonic.

I would like something like what Lost World tried to do, adding new worlds, new stages, new villains, but with fanservice and nostalgia there and there.

I don't see how simply saying Boom is fresh is saying "be happy with Boom" considering that's exactly what you guys are upset hasn't been delievered. The point isn't the quality. If you want an enjoyable experience, good, I agree. But when most of these posts have equated to "give me something fresh" when you did get something fresh. It's giving credit where credit is due, similar to how a lot of people hate Sonic 2006 but love the soundtrack.

All I'm saying is that if SEGA needs to deliver something it's not that it needs to be fresh. It needs to be good.

Edited by SSF1991

This legacy Sonic isn't a thing.

This story is talking about Classic Sonic. I am absolutely 100% sure oN that Due to reAsons.

genxqdte.jpg

The guy on the left.

It is not talking about Modern Sonic, or Boom Sonic, or even newspaper/Sunday Sonic. It is classic Sonic. 

Legacy Sonic is not a Sonic, it is a made up thing to scare Sonic fans into behaving or else Father Iizuka will not bring them any Christmas Presents.

I don't see how simply saying Boom is fresh is saying "be happy with Boom" considering that's exactly what you guys are upset hasn't been delievered. The point isn't the quality. If you want an enjoyable experience, good, I agree. But when most of these posts have equated to "give me something fresh" when you did get something fresh. It's giving credit where credit is due, similar to how a lot of people hate Sonic 2006 but love the soundtrack.

All I'm saying is that if SEGA needs to deliver something it's not that it needs to be fresh. It needs to be good.

You're being pedantic.

Asking for a game to be good is like asking for a game to require player input. It's an inherent, universally-understood part of the deal and doesn't need explicit elaboration. Anyone asking for a specific element to return or be used in a franchise without explicitly stating "I want it to also be good" is not actively eschewing quality anymore than they are eschewing the concept of control.

You're also ignoring the fact that these complaints are being leveled at the main Sonic games that Sonic Team works on. It matters just as much as what BRB and Sanzuru do in the Boom franchise as what EA does on its sports games. I don't give a shit about Boom. I give a shit about the main/Legacy titles, especially considering that's what this current tangent in this topic is about. 

Furthermore, I'm tired of people telling me the only thing the games need are that "it needs to be good". It's a disingenuous statement meant to dismiss the preferences of others. Reskin Killer Instinct 2013 with Sonic assets and you will have a game that is objectively good; kickass even. But it's not what anyone would want as a main Sonic title. Quality isn't the only thing that matters.

And finally, I don't believe you when you say you can't see how anyone could equivocate "you should be happy that you got what you wanted" and "Boom had the things you want so you're complaining for no reason." If you didn't want that confusion to occur you could've done a much better job wording your initial post.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 4

To completely shift gears...

I do ponder what kind of money SEGA's going to shit out for event budgets.

I remember AAUK stating that anniversaries and big titles both impact how much is invested into events... so I can only imagine Sonic Boom is going to be massive next year, not to mention SoS if it returns.

WHO SUMMONED ME?

*Ahem* To secure budget means Marketing and Brand and PR 
giving up a slice of the pie. There is no community budget - or was not during my time. There probably is now but is likely to be more for America only as SOE/SOA have seperate financial setups. Such budgets then have to be pitched for (see: begged, pleaded) which requires someone to go to bat for such events. The European community manager - not yet hired - I understand will be more of a 'PR manager who also runs the social media' from my sources so it won't be like what you had before. Point is you don't have anyone to do that and any money will already be divided up at this point unless you have the Sonic brand team there to- ahh, right, you don't any more. If you're hoping for a big SOS event next year put those hopes on the backburner for now. Wait and see what can be done between now and next year. Boom on the other hand has likely been pre-allocated money from the budget for Sonic (Brand), Sonic Boom (Franchise), Fire & Ice (if relevant), and the anniversary pot. 

Now back to your scheduled disagreements.

PS: Want a UK Sonic convention? 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1194005141/weston-super-sonic-2016

Edited by ArchangelUK
  • Thumbs Up 8

It sounds to me that that classic sonic will get tons of merchandise for the 25th anniversary. As for the anniversary game? I don't know. I can't imagine what it might be. If the next game is just a nostalgia trip again than the 25th anniversary will be a bit disappointing to me. 

All this talk about, something "good" or something "new". That isn't what I want for the next main series Sonic game and onwards, I want an engaging experience, I want a Sonic game that really badass and shows the blue blur being his ol' cocky, fearless badass self again.

Throw me whatever fucking gimmick you want but of course, make sure it's reasonable polished and stuff but that's a given.

Like I don't mind playing Gens or Lost World, heck I can get a decent kick out of RoL and SC. I have oodles of fun with the show as well so I'm perfectly fine with Boom, so bring in the Fire & Ice and all that jazz.

But I want a game that makes me give a shit on what's going on.

I think Roger van der weide really brought in home where, the series now doesn't feel comfortable and insecure which shows with stories that are pretty detached and unengaging with is major turnoff from games like Colors or Gens. Lost World tried to bring in some more engaging plot elements but that didn't work too well.

What I want to say is, I want Sonic to be bombastic, wacky, tries different things but do it with passion and energy. Enough of the detachment, embrace the wackiness and go with it.

Aping a different era wouldn't really make it fresh...

At which point do we stop calling these nostalgic or classic? 

I apologize, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean that SEGA should simply make carbon copies of those games instead, but rather that SEGA should take the same approach to the series as a whole that those games did, which was essentially: Respect what came before, but don't be ruled by it.

That's one of the biggest differences between then and now; back then the games of yesterday were treated as a springboard, a basis from which to explore new ideas and possibilities, the metaphorical giants upon who's shoulders the next game stands; now though the Classics (and only the Classics) are treated as the law, a checklist, a set of rules which must be adhered to with religious dedication.

Nostalgia is nice in small doses but use too much of it (especially if it's only for one or two specific games) and it becomes stale. SA2's Green Hill recreation, the references to the events of past games in Heroes, Shadow returning to the ARK as part of the plot in his game, expanding on and tying together different parts of the lore in Chronicles, and even the return of old musical cues in Black Knight; that's how you do nostalgia, by referencing and building upon past entries in the series while still ultimately moving forward and establishing your own identity; not with endless waves of Green Hill expies and certainly not with entire games designed as nothing but nostalgia trips (at least not at the rate they're currently being churned out).

• Thumbs Up 1