Awoo.

The Fantastic Four (2015)

Klinsy

Fantastic_Four_2015_poster.jpg

The Fantastic Four is an upcoming movie due to come out on August 7, 2015 based on, of course, the Fantastic Four.

It stars Miles Teller as Mr. Fantastic, Kate Mara as the Invisible Woman, Micheal B. Jordan, Jamie Bell as The Thing and Toby Kebbell as Blogtor Doom and is directed by Josh Trank.

It's supposedly based on the Ultimate Universe version of the Four, but there's plenty of elements that are unique to this version, as with most comic book adaptations.

I was originally a bit hyped for this movie due to fan of it's crew's other work and due to having 3 previous adaptations to  work with to find out to do or not to with the Four and finally give them the movie they deserve.

But, some of the info has made a bit iffy on the whole thing, such changing Doctor Doom into a blogger who's name isn't even Doom and  the trailer making me less than impressed.

But I am stilling giving it a chance, I'm hoping they can get the Four's family bond done well.

What is your thoughts on this film?

Eh, not excited for it. Mainly due to what they did to Doctor Doom. Seriously, what made the idiots over at Fox decide turning one of the most badass comic book villains of all time into an angry blogger?

• Thumbs Up 3

It stars Miles Teller as Mr. Fantastic, Kate Mara as the Invisible Woman, Micheal B. Jordan, Jamie Bell as The Thing and Toby Kebbell as Blogtor Doom and is directed by Josh Trank.

But, some of the info has made a bit iffy on the whole thing, such changing Doctor Doom into a blogger who's name isn't even Doom and  the trailer making me less than impressed.

why

I'd love to see the pre-planning for this movie. They'd probably be in a focus group saying things like "Kids like technology and the internet and social media these days. Why not make Dr. Doom a blogger to reach out to that demographic because who needs sensibility #yolo" or something along those lines. What's he going to blog about? 

I can't even begin to fathom the idea of turning him into a blogger. I can't even fathom the idea of this movie wanting to be taken seriously upon hearing this news.

Where do I go from my life from this point forward .-.

It may be too early to judge, but if the trailer is anything to go by, then color me very unimpressed.

The visuals look nice and it's cool they're trying to diversify the group a bit, but that looked like it was taking itself WAY too seriously.  For a movie about a guy who can stretch like rubber, and a guy who can set himself on fire, and a lady who can turn invisible, and a guy made of rocks, I'm very skeptical that taking it in a darker direction will work.  That said, maybe the trailer is just overplaying the darkness and we'll get some comedy in the end result.  A similar tone to the MCU movies would work best, imo.  Not that all the Marvel properties need to be like the MCU, but if it's as dramatic as the trailer seems, I'd say that's pretty...well, dumb.

Yawn.

Unimaginative "everything in Hollywood nowadays must be bleak and blue or gray" reimagining.

Not that you can't do great and imaginative melancholy stuff with movies, but come on, it's the F4

3234975539_74ae7dbdb4.jpg

jack-kirby-fateful-stimulator-2.jpg76106a75af33e36d416a74e4cae46bf4.jpg

2800806039_f8710e2ac7_o.jpg

8585502145_1cf792daf7_b.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeahhh that trailer is trying way too hard to be all dark and serious like Man of Steel. I hope the next trailer at least shows some more humour, otherwise count me in as unimpressed. How can you take a movie with a stretchy man and a rock man seriously anyway? =P

What is that thing?

Also, why is Human Torch black, and Invisible Woman brunette? Which comic book is this based off? Doom as a blogger?!

Fox what are you doing. Fax, stahp.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Avengers Assemble!

Ah... I mean...

IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRoD28-WgU

Oh wow, Oh man, Oh wow Oh man.

It still looks so bad!

Plot spoilers.

Why is Dr Doom an alien?

What is the plot of the movie?

Oh hey, it still looks like shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dr.Doom is an alien? I thought he was a hacker in this movie?

Movie still looks crap though. It just feels like it's trying too hard to look all dark and edgey.

This reminds me less of Marvel and more of DC. Trying to be all serious and shit...I dunno, I'm not getting good vibes from the trailer. 8I

I'd seriously laugh if this ended up being worse than the first F4 movie though!

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks dope. Love the cinematography and color balance - I'm gonna be eating up the look of this movie the whole time. A lot more striking than Marvel's shit. In particular the portrayal of their powers looks unsettling in a way, like a classic sci-fi horror movie. 

I get why people are upset though I guess. Fantastic Four are like the premier goofy comic book super heroes so I guess if you like that stuff it's not what you're looking for. 

Personally though I think goofy comic books are really stupid and uninteresting and don't translate well to live action film at all, and I think the Fantastic Four has up to this point been really stupid and uninteresting. 

I'm stoked for this. Y'all are gonna hate it but fuck it, whatever. This kind of tone is hard to pull off well but when it is it's awesome. Sadly fairly recently Man of Steel went for it and fell flat on its ass because the script was trash. So hopefully the same thing doesn't happen here. Man of Steel had amazing trailers too.

The poster looks awful though. Reed's face is hilarious.

Honestly, I don't think it looks too bad. Theirs still character banter between the 4 from what I can tell, like how the Torch still being a jokester. Doom being an alien is giving me some bad vibes from when the newest TMNT movie originally had them as aliens, but otherwise, it doesn't look awful. It definitely will be better than Silver Surfer if it keeps up like this.

New trailer was awesome, and the movie continues to look awesome. I like the balance between the very sciencey, body horror angle they're going with, (i heard the director compare it to like, a slightly darker version of a 80s Spielberg movie, which is interesting), but still managing to have a sense of fun with the humor between the characters and impressive looking action sequences. I have faith this will be good, Josh Trank is good, Fox has been on a role rebooting franchises that have been on a decline (X-Men movies, Planet of The Apes), so this could be a surprise hit. 

Doom isn't an alien btw i have no idea where people got that idea? Victor is the guy, next to Johnny when they're in their suits on the chairs. Guessing he goes into the portal with them, gets mutated with them. I'll be honest that is kinda lame they're doing that exact same plot with him again though. Should've used like, Annihilus, or something, idk much about F4. oh btw still also sucks MCU can't have Galactus fox let those guys over at Marvel use him mayn

Yeah I really can't see Josh Trank putting out a piece of shit superhero movie after Chronicle was as great as it was. 

Even as someone who really digs grounded takes on some Superheroes (Arrow, Daredevil, and The Dark Knight are all great stuff) I'm not really feeling this. Nothing overly bad but it looks kind of....generic, I guess? Nothing about it is really standing out. Turning a cast as colorful as the Fantastic 4 into something like this almost seems like a step backwards.  There are better characters to try and take this approach with. Hell, they already did this with Chronicle and they didn't need some big comic book name backing it for that to be successful.

I'm getting a sort of Man of Steel/ASM vibe from this whole thing where they're just kind of throwing this together to make a franchise out of it and not having much of a vision behind it. 

We'll wait and see though. I really loved Chronicle so hopefully this'll be a surprise hit or something.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really excited for this movie. The trailer feels like a space movie like Gravity and Interstellar with superheroes slapped on it. I understand if you guys can be excited for this film but it doesn't feel like the Fantastic Four to me.

It feels like Fox is just doing this movie so Marvel Studios can't get their hands on the property. We didn't get any glimpse of this movie for a long time than the trailer just "poofed" into existence. Kinda feels like 2014's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Both movies got caught in a lot of nerd-rage and controversy and had little promotion until it's trailer just showed up.

My Dad seems excited for it though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Eh, still not excited. But we'll see if it's worth seeing when the movie finally comes out.

I'm not really excited for this movie. The trailer feels like a space movie like Gravity and Interstellar with superheroes slapped on it. I understand if you guys can be excited for this film but it doesn't feel like the Fantastic Four to me.

It feels like Fox is just doing this movie so Marvel Studios can't get their hands on the property. We didn't get any glimpse of this movie for a long time than the trailer just "poofed" into existence. Kinda feels like 2014's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Both movies got caught in a lot of nerd-rage and controversy and had little promotion until it's trailer just showed up.

My Dad seems excited for it though.

This movie is being produced by Fox? ...So that means that it will be separate from the MCU just like the X-men?... I will narrowly resist the temptation to curse Fox.

And I was looking forward to this movie. After the silliness that were the previous two FF films (At least they weren't as bad as the low-budget FF movie in the 90's), I was really hoping that the FF could be redeemed on the big screen...only to find out they will be as separate as the X-men because of infuriating red tape. 

In the comics, the FF are somewhat the de facto leaders of superheroes, ALL Marvel Superheroes, largely because Reed's super intellect. Reed Richards and Tony Stark are practically best buds...that will never happen on the big screen now.  

Eh. I still don't like the looks of this. If you've seen me post, you know I hate it when a movie is trying extremely hard to be all super tough and gritty. It's my problem with the DC stuff and it's my problem with this. I wouldn't mind it as much but The Fantastic Four most certainly doesn't fit into the genre of super edgy gritty movies. The attempts at humor in the trailers weren't that funny either.

I just wish they'd give the rights to Fantastic Four back to Marvel so we can get the FF movie that the series deserves.

• Thumbs Up 1