Awoo.

Sega Plans 2015 - Service Games Games

ChikaBoing

Big chances are coming up for the company in regards to structure and the Sega Sammy Group:

segaisurt.png

ATLUS.png

Sega Holdings is a shareholding entity seperate from the Sega Sammy Holdings entity and it's Pachinko, Gambling and Resort busines. Overall Sega Holdings, is referred to as a comprehensive Entertainment company.

It would be interresting if the shareholders were some major names within the entertainment/videogame business, who didn't have an interrest in the Resort/Pachinko/Gambling business of Sammy.

It would also be interresting if we get some more synergy between their animation studios, toy company and their games.

Sega has partly funded a start-up company movie and TV company http://www.stories-llc.com/ andlend them forty of their IP's for movie, TV and other things.

Then there is the fact that they are making use of their internal assets with Marza Animation Planet, with the Sonic Movie, instead of leaving it all to Sony.

Instead of strictly a videogame company, it seems both Nintendo and Sega are referring themself more as a comprehensive entertainment company. Interresting times ahead.

But well in the end we care about the games right? Well the games are now at...Sega Games. The CEO of that however is seemingly Haruki Satomi, who was the CEO of Sega Networks, and also behind some of the digital strategy behind some of the PSN/XBLA/Steam releases.

And you're sure this is legit?

If so, I wonder if this will actually change anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's a rest so much as they reason any formal booth or even a room isn't worth the expense at present.

We must remember the Jazwares board. Barring that being a serious typo (unlikely), we're due for a game this year, and given SEGA's insistence on deadlines (I'd be pretty pissed if they pushed this game back but not Rise of Lyric), we'll likely be getting it.

My presumption is they'll just lease some space from the big 3 to save money.

Barring a complete lack of games at all (unlikely), they'll be there.

They just might not have their own both. For a lot of shows they just share space with the Big 3.

I anticipate they might have rented that meeting room as a safety measure, and when given the go-ahead to use some of Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony's space, cancelled the reservation.

We must remember the Jazwares board. Barring that being a serious typo (unlikely), we're due for a game this year, and given SEGA's insistence on deadlines (I'd be pretty pissed if they pushed this game back but not Rise of Lyric), we'll likely be getting it.

Well, let's remember that Jazwares board was made before the Sonic Boom thing turned out the way it did. Maybe that fiasco coupled with the recent (current?) restructuring caused them to change their plans regarding the "2015/2016" Sonic game?

I was actually predicting they wouldn't have a presence at E3 this year. Their library of games hosted at E3 has been steadily dwindling over the years, to the point that last year they had a grand total of four games (technically five, but whatever).

Though I have a feeling that their restructuring and downsizing of SoA are additional culprits to the lack of E3 presence.

Have Sega actually announced anything for this year other than localisation of Japanese games?

If not. There's your answer as to why no E3 for you.

• Thumbs Up 4

Gonna go ahead and guess that they're gonna show up, but I don't actually _want_ a new Sonic game this year unless it's been in development for a while already. I may defend RoL, but that's only to dispute what I consider overreactions (the 06 comparisons especially), I don't think the game is great, even good necessarily (average?), but I do know it was rushed and I don't need more things that are either bad, or that I have to defend even if they're not even fully worth defending and everyone else is overreacting.

Have Sega actually announced anything for this year other than localisation of Japanese games?

If not. There's your answer as to why no E3 for you.

Thank-you for saying it. SEGA's line-up is virtually non-existent right now. I don't know what people are event expecting to see from them at E3. A Sonic game, if it's even happening? They need more than that.

If there is a Sonic game, then SEGA will be able to show it off to the press at their own little pre-E3 events and would better spend their money flaunting it at Sony, Nintendo and/or Microsoft's booths.

To be fair SEGA tends to wait until the last minute for E3 matters. Besides there's no telling how long the current exhibitor list has been up for. For all we know it could be out of date. And SEGA kind of just went through a huge restructure and they're likely focusing on that before turning to matters like appearances such as conventions. I recall last year SEGA didn't announce their game list until just a few days before E3. And there was large hoopla over an outdated booth map that was on the site.

I don't think it is time to conclude whether SEGA will be at E3 or not just yet. At least not for another month. Nothing's final.

Sega isn't in E3. Well, even if they would be, I still wouldn't believe that there would be Sonic game this year because next year is 25th anniversary and it would make sense to release new Sonic game in that year.

Just hoping that Sega will not rush the game if there is one coming...

Did they show off Lost World at e3? I can't remember. It feels like they didn't, but I know I must be wrong.

Are there any recent Sonic games that haven't been shown at e3?

I don't think it's a rest so much as they reason any formal booth or even a room isn't worth the expense at present.

My presumption is they'll just lease some space from the big 3 to save money.

Are we still going by that (debunked) Jazwares board? The one that only showed already announced stuff aside from this one game in 2015 Jazwares likely wouldn't know much about at that point?

Anyway, some things to keep in mind:

- SEGA not having a booth at E3 only means that they won't show playable demos at their own booth.

- Those playable demos could also be shown at Sony's or Microsoft's booths. Or Nintendo's if SEGA's going to release anything on their systems.

- Like Hogfather already mentioned, aside from the potential Sonic game, SEGA might not have much to show that would be worth spending money on a booth for.

- It looks like SEGA could still register for a booth.

- SEGA Ameria recently restructured, so they might not be able to be at E3 this year.

To be fair SEGA tends to wait until the last minute for E3 matters. Besides there's no telling how long the current exhibitor list has been up for. For all we know it could be out of date. And SEGA kind of just went through a huge restructure and they're likely focusing on that before turning to matters like appearances such as conventions. I recall last year SEGA didn't announce their game list until just a few days before E3. And there was large hoopla over an outdated booth map that was on the site.

I don't think it is time to conclude whether SEGA will be at E3 or not just yet. At least not for another month. Nothing's final.

SEGA previously had a private room reserved for meetings. Ogilvie said that their presence has completely disappeared, so I'm taking that to believe they've no longer got that room even.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are we still going by that (debunked) Jazwares board? The one that only showed already announced stuff aside from this one game in 2015 Jazwares likely wouldn't know much about at that point?

What?

The film hadn't been confirmed yet by that time as I recall.

That's why stock's placed in the board - everything else was true.

SEGA Ameria recently restructured, so they might not be able to be at E3 this year.

Cutting back your marketing presence at the world's most important video game convention probably isn't a good idea if your business is video games.

The expression goes "you have to spend money to make money." Certain expenses will always be necessary in the course of business. If you just start to cut willy nilly, you deserve to go out of business.

SEGA might not need a booth all to themselves, but to outright not be there at all would be insane on their part unless they have absolutely nothing.

Let's bear in mind SEGA's restructuring mentioned reinforcing the Sonic brand. You don't reinforce a brand by shrinking it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What?

The film hadn't been confirmed yet by that time as I recall.

That's why stock's placed in the board - everything else was true.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/sonicboom-film.jpg

The "first CG animated film" bit is placed under "New show", so that was about Sonic Boom rather than the movie.

Cutting back your marketing presence at the world's most important video game convention probably isn't a good idea if your business is video games.

The expression goes "you have to spend money to make money." Certain expenses will always be necessary in the course of business. If you just start to cut willy nilly, you deserve to go out of business.

SEGA might not need a booth all to themselves, but to outright not be there at all would be insane on their part unless they have absolutely nothing.

Let's bear in mind SEGA's restructuring mentioned reinforcing the Sonic brand. You don't reinforce a brand by shrinking it.

Did you somehow only read that one point I made in my post? I even pointed out that they don't need a booth. Other companies could show their games. Besides that, I only listed it as a possibility.

On a side note: while SEGA won't be at E3, one of their subsidiaries will. Atlus will have a booth, which makes sense considering they're putting out more new games than SEGA right now. Also Persona 5 is kinda big.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/sonicboom-film.jpg

The "first CG animated film" bit is placed under "New show", so that was about Sonic Boom rather than the movie.

But why put a multiplatform 2015 game in there? Did Jazwares just make it up?

Unless that was meant to be Rise of Lyric before it became exclusive to the Wii U?

I even pointed out that they don't need a booth. Other companies could show their games.

You said they would not be at E3 due to the restructuring. That would include no games.

I say that because even when you showcase your games as part of another company's booth, you still have some of your people there usually. The Nintendo employee probably isn't going to know what the hell this new Sonic's about.

I think if any of SEGA games does gets a showcase, it'll likely be through other companies' booths...

...Yet I say this with there being nothing Sonic-related to be revealed. Ergo, SEGA is there, but not in a presence themselves - through the big three's own booths and the like.