Awoo.

Yo-Kai Watch (Season 2 premiers August 1st with 50 episodes)

pppp

yokai_watch_west.jpg?w=660&h=854

Yo-Kai Watch is a multimedia kids franchise created by Level-5 that just like Inazuma Eleven is present in pretty much every aspect of media(3DS games, Anime, Manga you name it). It has recently been confirmed by Viz Media Europe that it's coming to us "soon" so I decided to be the one to make a topic for it.

So what exactly is a yo-kai? The word "Yo-Kai" derives from the japanese word "Youkai", which means "Ghost".

The Premise: One day a boy named Keita ventures into the woods hunting for bugs but finds the yo-kai named Whisper instead. In this world yo-kais are responsible for every weird phenomenon in the world, like someone suddenly changing personality or random supernatural incidents. Whisper gives Keita a watch that enables him to see and summon yo-kai.

With that watch he can summon any yo-kais that he befriended to help him sort out any supernatural problems being caused.

The designs of these ghosts are actually inspired by japanese mythology, some of these ghosts have their own cartoon counterparts:

21994e5e64d3b6e48db64411ddc71f84.jpg

Now I know what you're thinking: "Oh so it's like Pokemon". Well allow me to quote this event told by an english class teacher that works in Japan in a blog he writes for:

For years I prided myself on staying on top of the latest trends among students. Pokémon and Kamen Rider remained my student’s favorites year after year. But something new had crept into the picture. I had never heard of these characters. Had I finally fallen into the generation gap?

“You catch yo-kai. I have almost all of them.” a boy bragged.

“So it’s like Pokémon?” I asked.

“It’s better!” Nearby students nodded in agreement.

Here's the link to the full thing if you wanna read it: http://www.tofugu.com/2014/06/13/better-than-pokemon-how-yo-kai-watch-is-marketing-itself-to-japanese-children/

Only a couple months since premiering in January 2014, the anime's popularity exploded and with it the sales of the games skyrocketed, having recently topped 7 million units. It's right now the biggest pop culture phenomenon in Japan. Kids are going nuts over it. Just to give you an idea, Pikachu got replaced by the series mascot as the kids icon everywhere, like at MCDonals for example.

The main difference from the Pokémon anime is that Yo-Kai Watch benefits from infinitely better writing that gives it a great sense of humor that goes from character driven jokes to pop culture references, charming and well developed characters, and of course heartfelt stories that Level-5 fans are familiar with. Every yo-kai can not only talk but most importantly they have a personality, a purpose and some have a story to tell. On a personal note, despite sharing alot of superficial details with Pokemon, the actual soul of the anime is more similar to a childhood favorite I had called Doraemon, which makes sense, since creator Akihiro Hino said he wanted to create a "Doraemon for this new generation of kids".

But I'll let the anime speak for me, here's a segment that I think sums up how good it can be. This is for context: Every yo-kai has its own theme song when summoned and the one in particular being summoned here has the power to make people reveal their secrets:

This one is to show how this anime is not afraid to do risque adult humor (Context: The nature of robot cat yo-kais is better explained in a previous ep to this one):

Now the anime is coming soon to Europe, so hopefully they won't cut this segment from it cause of its sexual innuendo :P

Both the games and the anime also benefit from a wonderful soundtrack from newcomer composer Kenichiro Saigo working at Level-5(Started out as a sound designer for the Layton series) that combines synthesized ghostly sounds with a full orchestra to create a variety of great tunes:

Level-5 confirmed that the localization of the games is underway, but I'll make a topic for that when we get more info.

Anyone interested in checking it out subbed PM me, I usually stream it for friends.

• Thumbs Up 5

Bwa ha ha. Suck it pikachu. But on topic, this looks pretty interesting. I might give it a watch.

I don't really know much about Yokai Watch yet, but I think that having a rival might help spur Pokemon on to greater heights.  I can see how Level-5 might be able to create a much more charming and individual world.

I'm definitely interested in checking this out. I've had a clip sent to me a few times admittedly but I've procrastinated watching it so this topic is a nice reminder to actually check it out haha. 

With how popular the games are, I'm honestly surprised that they haven't been localized.

Anyways, I've seen a few episodes of the anime, and it's pretty dang charming overall.

With how popular the games are, I'm honestly surprised that they haven't been localized.

Anyways, I've seen a few episodes of the anime, and it's pretty dang charming overall.

• Thumbs Up 6

It is a shame that Yo-Kai Watch probably won't have the same kind of western push that Pokémon had back in the day, because back then no one could have known Pokémon would become as huge in the west as it did, and it was able to do so partially because the anime aired on popular TV channels and the merchandise was launched and pushed quickly once popularity began rising.

Yo-Kai Watch is definitely a lot more Japanese than Pokémon, but the charm in the series would surely captivate a lot of kids if it was able to air on prime kids TV. You never know, phenomena like Pokémon and Yo-Kai Watch are strange things indeed.

Either way I love Level-5 so I wish them global success with the franchise, it's always a shame when most of the world has to miss out on Level-5's lovely creativity. America is still sorely lacking in Inazuma Eleven goodness.. and the only English dub for it is much worse than it deserves to be.

Bwa ha ha. Suck it pikachu. But on topic, this looks pretty interesting. I might give it a watch.

You should, its a really charming show and has some truly funny and emotional scenes for a kids show. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Onto the news though, i'm really glad that we're finally getting a dub on this and hopefully there is one coming to the US too (though I most likely won't be able to watch it since I have no cable). Here's hoping its a success.

Inazuma Eleven goodness.. and the only English dub for it is much worse than it deserves to be.

It's actually Viz Media Europe again doing it. They did the Layton movie and Inazuma, so I guess they're the ones handling Level-5 animation in Europe.

Well, I thought the Dub of the Layton movie worked out fine, true they didn't get all the actors from the games, but it was an overall quite solid dub I thought. I'm used to the portuguese dub of Inazuma so I can't speak for that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Never seen the anime or games, but I've definitely heard of this, especially the fact that series is getting more and more popular than Pokemon in Japan. It's got me interested, so I might give the anime a watch when I get the chance to.

I've seen promos of this, but have yet to see the anime or play the game. It's something I do plan to check out though. I'm glad to hear it's in the works of being localized.

I had heard about this series. As much as I enjoyed Pokemon, it's good that it does get some serious competition.

When it comes here, I wouldn't mind getting the game or to watch the anime.

So I've watch a few episodes of the anime and so far I like it. It's charming, has it's humorous moments, and already I'm loving Jibanyan who I think is adorable. Plus, the opening song is really catchy. Now I really would like to play the games and see what they're like. For those who haven't checked it out yet, I recommend doing so.

So I've watch a few episodes of the anime and so far I like it. It's charming, has it's humorous moments and already I'm loving Jiba Nyan who I think is adorable. Plus, the opening song is really catchy. Now, I really would like ot play the games and see what they're like. For those who haven't checked it out yet, I recommend doing so.

Be sure to post your thoughts on episodes 20 and 25, those are the best of the ones that have been subbed so far.

Also, that segment on ep 4 :)

While this is the anime discussion thread this news is still relevant to the anime.

The protagonist of Yo-kai Watch will be called "Nathan Adams" in the localisation.

The localisation of the franchise, including toys and games, will be rolled out in 2016. Games will be published by Nintendo and toys will be handled by Hasbro.

The push to go worldwide may account for a decision made in the upcoming Yokai Watch 3: The game is set in America.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Nintendo wants to push the marketing of this franchise, they better release the anime on the Nintendo Anime Channel just like they did with Inazuma Eleven.

If Nintendo wants to push the marketing of this franchise, they better release the anime on the Nintendo Anime Channel just like they did with Inazuma Eleven.

• Thumbs Up 1

They can always have a compromise, like hairing the first 2 episodes as a promotion for a limited amount of time, just like what they did with Attack on Titan.

That could be a possibility, even though i highly don't think so because its gonna be a big cross-media franchise like Sonic Boom. Inazuma never reach that level, the only licence products based of Inazuma i have see where Panini sticker books and trading cards, and kids meal toys from french fast food chain "Quick".

Well as you know I'm about half way through series 1 and I now have the full OST :) I will be pre-ordering the game as soon as we get a release date :)

I wonder if the anime will air on Netflix in the UK as we don't have an anime channel here or at least one that I know of.