Awoo.

The MOTHER Series Topic (No Crying Until The Lock)

PSI Wind

Staff Edit: This older topic has been bumped and merged with a newer topic. The newer half of the topic starts Have fun!

(If anyone has the Japanese Slogo, tell me)
If you don't know what this series is, here are details
MOTHER is a game series that NOA(Or Reggie Fills-Ame) have put down for poor sales of a SNES game called Earthbound, or MOTHER 2:Giegu Strikes Back with the slogen "This game stinks!"
Each series is about a young boy who learns magic, or PSI(PK in Earthbound and the SSB series)
In MOTHER 1, you play as Ninten who has to save the world, along with Ana, a young girl that knows PSI and....(give me the name please), a elementary genious shoned down, from Giegue, a alien who is mad about Nintens' grandfather stealing a book or scroll about PSI. They defeat him by singing the 7 melodies.
MOTHER 2, or Earthbound, is about Ness(mostly known in america from the SSB series)finding out that Giygas(Or Giegue) has taken over the world in the future by Buzz-Buzz, who is not a bee/bug. With the help from Palau, a girl with PSI powers, Jeff, a genious, and Poo, a Monk who also knows PSI, they defeat Giygas(And Porky from the first fight) by Palua praying from the bottom of her heart for help.
MOTHER 3 though, im not gonna spoil, you can download a patch that translates it into english at Starmen.net(Not on the site itself). MOTHER 3 also has some of the most emotional parts in Video Game history.
So, what do you think of the series?

Edited by Diz
Topic Rename: The MOTHER/Earthbound Series -> The MOTHER Series Topic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just got into the series not to long ago. Glad I did, the games are awesome.

I've said it before (at other boards), and I'll say it again: I think that the Earthbound is nothing more than an overrated/overhyped, mediocre piece of garbage. I tried to enjoy the game, I really did, but I found it impossible. Unless it's about the storyline and/or the fact that Nintendo of America refuses to acknowledge the game's existence (even going so far as to remove the Earthbound demo from Super Smash Bros. Brawl), then I'll never understand what the hype is about. Sure, the game might have had a good storyline, but in my opinion, that doesn't mean anything if it has such boring, mediocre gameplay that you have to put up with to progress through it.

I've said it before (at other boards), and I'll say it again: I think that the Earthbound is nothing more than an overrated/overhyped, mediocre piece of garbage. I tried to enjoy the game, I really did, but I found it impossible. Unless it's about the storyline and/or the fact that Nintendo of America refuses to acknowledge the game's existence (even going so far as to remove the Earthbound demo from Super Smash Bros. Brawl), then I'll never understand what the hype is about. Sure, the game might have had a good storyline, but in my opinion, that doesn't mean anything if it has such boring, mediocre gameplay that you have to put up with to progress through it.

Actually Mother 3 greatly improves gameplay by adding the combo system and it simply is the greatest in terms of gameplay.

Alot of people say Mother is really sad, but the games actually are very humorous. Mother 3 is the least funny, Mother being the most funny.

Mother 3 is also great in terms of storytelling, in which you play as several different characters in chapters, although the majority of the game is played in the eyes of Lucas.

This is my favorite series.

I got into it around the release of Melee, but I didn't really think much of it until the Menu Patch for M3 was releaed, and then I played through them all and became a huge fan. ( You may say Im just another SSBB bandwagoner but if that were true I'd be pretending to like Fire Emblem too, and I don't like FE at all. )

I posted a gigantic topic about it before the board was erased. It got ignored until about a year later when the translation of MOTHER 3 was released.

It's definitely not for everyone. It's obviously not for anybody who hate's RPGs, or slow paced games with out dated graphics. But I don't mind all that stuff.

I don't care much for RPGs myself. But it's modern setting and quirky dialogue really set it apart for me.

Even though most people perfer MOTHER 3, I think EarthBound is the best in the series. The only thing I think M3 has better than EB is the dashing feature really.

I really don't have much to add to the conversation though. I enjoyed all 3 games. I beat each one twice ( Beat M3 three times ) Im a regular on Starmen.net... although most of the people there can be epic Jerks... ( well okay. That's the same for all Forums ) ...I sure wish there was a bit more to the series. I've looked at the fangames that are being worked on but none of them look like much, aside from the remakes of the actual MOTHER games.

EDIT: How is MOTHER the most funny? It's story telling had almost no humor in it. At least the NOA translation anyways. I think M2 and 3 are equally funny.

Edited by Lando The Bat

Golly Jee Willikers, that certainly does look MOTHERy. I shoulda logged into Starmen.net first today... I doubt we'll be seeing it over here though.

If that IS EB related... It'd be the first PC game I buy... well... assuming it gets translated.

A MUCH better picture has been reveiled:

ebpic.jpg

I can't stop thinking this is just a hoax, not MOTHER related, or is just heavily influenced on MOTHER. It has EarthBound's diagonal isometric view with MOTHER 3's sprite style, which is weird, and he has Porky's clothes.

I've never played any of these games, but I'm thinking of trying Earthbound (Mother 2) sometime. And about having "some of the most emotional moments in gaming history", I personally think Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and the MGS games have the most emotional, but keep in mind I've never played any of the Mother games.

I've been playing both Earthbound and Mother 3 lately, and I love both of them. I'm still surprised that Nintendo of America hasn't supported it that much. I started to cry in Mother 3 after

Hinawa dies

in Chapter 1. No other games have moved me as much as the Mother series. I didn't even cry in Final Fantasy VII when

Aeris died

. I was surprised, but not in tears.

Also, try to listen to Smiles and Tears and not cry:

Here's something else interesting I found one day:

I've said it before (at other boards), and I'll say it again: I think that the Earthbound is nothing more than an overrated/overhyped, mediocre piece of garbage

The only reason it's overhyped because it it underrated, thanks to Nintendo of America not really doing much to give the series much of following in America as it does in Japan.

Everyone should try the series, it's something different, but in a very good way.

Mystery "ROID" game is not MOTHER related.

A few folks have pointed out that the character in the latest mystery screenshot is probably based on another Level 5 production called “The Another World“.

Again, here’s the recent screenshot we’ve all been pondering about:

ebpic.jpg

And here are some images of the “The Another World” character taken from here:

lv506t.jpglv512t.jpg

The pics you see above are meant for the DS version of the game, but the announcement (from last September) also has a vague “a version for another platform is to be released as well”, which could very well be referring to this ROID system that Level 5 is opening up this June.

Incidentally, the game’s animation is being done by Studio Ghibli and the music by Joe Hisaishi. You can see the TGS trailer for the DS game here. And, although it’s a tenuous connection, Shigesato Itoi and Studio Ghibli are on extremely close terms.

In any case, it’s definitely looking like this EarthBound-ish screenshot has something to do with this The Another World thing. We’ll have to wait for more details first to figure out the full story of what’s going on, like why they’d specifically choose EarthBound-style graphics and why they’d release a teaser image meant to give the wrong impression.

Anyway, I’ll try to keep on top of the story. If anyone comes across any info, let me know! The best way to get my attention is through here; otherwise, sometimes blog comments get stuck in spam or moderation and I won’t see them for a while.

Source

Not surprising.

Wasn't the handbook finished a week ago? Last time I checked earthbound central, that's what it seemed like.

• 3 years later...

The Mother series needs so much more recognition, especially Mother 3 (which remains one of my favorite RPG's and stories told in a game)

But here's something interesting.

Reason why Earthbound is not on VC yet

http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/07/earthbounds-specific-legal-issues/#comments

Earthbound Central has apparently received word from a Nintendo of America employee that Earthbound hasn’t appeared on the Virtual Console for a number of reasons. Nintendo of America basically wanted to make some changes to the game, but Nintendo Japan is reluctant to implement those changes. Here’s what apparently needs to be changed before the game can appear on the Virtual Console:

The Sky Runner song needs to be changed

The Chuck Berry battle song needs to be changed

The Dali’s Clock enemy name needs to be changed

The Chuck Berry song is easily replaced with one of the other dozen or so battle songs, so that’s not a big problem. The Dali’s Clock sprite is apparently fine, just the name needs to be changed. The show-stopper is the Sky Runner song, which was made specifically for the Sky Runner scenes. They feel a new song would need to be made, and apparently NCL or someone else on the Japanese side of things isn’t happy with that or finds it too much of a bother, so the game has been in limbo for the past five years.

The game has been ready for 5 years, but just because someone doesn't want to change the Sky Runner song, it hasn't been released. What a silly thing, especially since NoJ is more then willing to make these changes. I hope it gets released on the Wii-U or 3DS VC, but I feel sorry for those wanting to play this great game, but haven't been able to because of such a tiny problem.

Pardon my ignorance, but why exactly is it that they need to be changed? Is there some copyright problem with them I'm unaware of?

Edited by Jetronic

Pardon my ignorance, but why exactly is it that they need to be changed? Is there some copyright problem with them I'm unaware of?

Dali's Clock is a reference to the works of real-life painter Salvador Dali, mainly his painting "The Persistence of Memory."

The song in Earthbound and Mother entitled "New Age Retro Hippie," a battle theme, is strongly reminiscent of the Chuck Berry song "Johnny B. Goode."

And the Sky Runner theme song is ridiculously similar to the opening of "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who. This is the most obvious problem, because it is a very well-known song and they sound almost identical.

Basically they just need to change these things to avoid copyright problems.

And now that I know that these are the only 3 things that need to be changed, I'm even MORE pissed off that it hasn't come to VC yet. I thought it was because there were a whole bunch of other things getting in the way. But 2 songs and an enemy name? Changing that stuff would have such a small effect on the game that it's a completely ridiculous excuse.

But I'm surprised they didn't mention the Beatles reference an NPC makes. That character refers to the band and the song "Yesterday" by name. I would imagine that would cause some difficulties.

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 1

Earthbound is pretty cool, any game where you fight New Age Retro Hippies who attack by brushing their teeth is a good game in my book. Last time i remember I got to those religious nuts who worship the color blue, should remember to continue the game sometime soon

• 1 month later...

http://www.gonintend...story&id=183571

Check out this amazing conversation between Kotaku's Stephen Totilo and Satoru Iwata...

ST: I would be remiss in not telling you that some of my writers would like to play another Advance Wars and they would someday like to play Mother 3 in America… [Note: Iwata writes something down] … Whenever I ask Reggie about Mother 3, he says, ‘ask Mr. Iwata.'"

Iwata: [in English]: "Just yesterday, before I left from Japan, I met with Mr. Itoi, who is the creator of the Earthbound series. [laughs]"

ST: "Oh, I know. Are we ever going to get it?"

Iwata: "And, yeah, accidentally we were discussing that there are huge fans from Western countries for the Mother series [laughs].

ST: "So, someday? Someday?" [i stand up to shake his hand]

Iwata: "[laughs] Thank you. Great to see you!"

That's the best bit of hope we've gotten from Nintendo in a very, very long time concerning Mother/Earthbound. We don't have a commitment on anything, but we at least know there are conversations!

Iwata hinting at hope for Mother 3 ENG release.

Edited by Autosaver

Not really a hint,, just Iwata laughing when someone asks him about it. Though I'm still holding out for the entire series being released on the VC (or at least Earthbound and Mother 3).

And now that I'm reminded of it, the reason why Earthbound is not on the VC yet is still really stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Itoi announces Mother Developments

Itoi posted on Twitter:

Since it’s now okay to blurt this out, here goes: the “MOTHER republication” thing I mentioned briefly before is making progress.

And then

It’s not “(MOTHER) 4″, though! This has to do with making “MOTHER” playable. I can’t give out any details just yet, but I do at least need to say that it isn’t 4.

Source:  http://earthboundcentral.com/?p=10806

So excited!!

• Thumbs Up 2

I seriously hope that they're officially releasing Mother 3. If they do, I think I'll faint, hahahaha.