Awoo.

DC Extended Universe Thread | Wonder Woman | June 2nd, 2017

Brad

tumblr_o17nij4nTk1udwsc5o2_1280.png

All these dudes are getting films.

Marvel's Cinematic Universe has been a great success and highly profitable for the company - so of course, the other comic book giant will be following suit with their own universe. DC is the home of gigantic superhero faces such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, and soon will all be debuting in their own solo films. You can use this thread to discuss announcements, developments and your thoughts on the DC Cinematic Universe. 

Upcoming Movie List

“Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
“Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
“Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, and Amy Adams (2017)
“The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
“Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
“Shazam” (2019)
“Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
“Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
“Green Lantern” (2020)

Released Movies
  • "Man of Steel", directed by Zack Snyder. (2013)

With the imminent destruction of Krypton, their home planet, Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and his wife seek to preserve their race by sending their infant son to Earth. The child's spacecraft lands at the farm of Jonathan (Kevin Costner) and Martha (Diane Lane) Kent, who name him Clark and raise him as their own son. Though his extraordinary abilities have led to the adult Clark (Henry Cavill) living on the fringe of society, he finds he must become a hero to save those he loves from a dire threat.
  • “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)

Fearing the actions of a god-like super hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs.  And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.

All things considered, MOS was still fairly enjoyable for the most part, and i found it to be a pretty good launchpoint for a so called, DC Cinemaic Universe, (DCCU? i like it). So naturally, i'm excited to see how BvS turns out. It's Batman and Superman together, how is that not cool? And a Wonder Woman appearance? Hot damn of course i'll be there opening night.  Goyer is no longer a head writer too, Chris Terrio, who has worked with Affleck before on Argo, rewrote the script, so that brings some hope they won't repeat some of the more annoying story-based problems that MOS had. I like Affleck and think he'll make a fine Bats, suit and Batmoblie looking ace. It does feel like we know very little about the movie however, other than it taking inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns.  hopefully the trailer coming next month, on May 15th with Mad Max, will reveal some more things about it.

Now, Suicide Squad, that's one i'm really really looking forward to. The concept and cast sound great, especially Jared Leto and Margot Robbie who will KILL IT as Joker and Harley, the latter who I am so glad to see for the first time in live action. Lots of villains taking the center stage in this movie, which is why i'm so stoked to see it. Sounds really unique and different from any other cape film.

Really, WB/DC aren't getting much credit, they're surprisingly managing to differentiate themselves from Marvel, they're certainly getting some good and interesting people on the creative side. You've got Snyder on BvS and Justice League, they got Michelle MacLaren who directed some of the best Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones episodes on Wonder Woman. David Ayer, who did the excellent Fury and End of Watch on Suicide Squad. They got my personal favorite current directors, Phill Lord and Chris Miller, who did LEGO Movie and the Jump Street Movies, which are like the greatest movies of all time, to work on The Flash. They want James Wan, who did an awesome job on Furious 7, for Aquaman, and i hear they want the John Wick directors for a movie as well. (if you haven't seen John Wick yet go watch that shit it's the greatest modern action movie next to The Raid go see it)

So yeah, the DCCU, its still in it's young stages, but it has alot of promise, hope they deliver on it.

I love Superman, so I watched Man of Steel. It was pretty enjoyable in and of itself, but I don't think it's the right direction for Superman, and it contained some unforgivable flaws (Jonathan Kent's depiction and the fact that Superman apparently killed huge swathes of people without batting an eye). Of course, that's coming from a Superman fan, so I know some wouldn't care about that stuff...

I honestly don't care that much about superheroes other than Superman (not because there's anything wrong with them, just because I'm not personally interested), and I don't watch movies that much anyway, so I probably won't be watching most of these. I'm not even sure I'll watch Supes v Bats, since while I could stand one movie in which Superman was depicted in a weird overly dark way, I don't think I could stomach an entire cinematic universe using that depiction.

For the record, I haven't watched a lot of superhero movies period, but I think the 1978 Superman film was awful and cannot understand how it could possibly be so acclaimed, so I guess Man of Steel could at least be called a step in the right direction ;P (I haven't watched any of the sequels and I probably won't for a long time...)

Oh, and I watched the 60s Batman movie. They should make a new movie in that vein, eh? =P

Oh, and I watched the 60s Batman movie. They should make a new movie in that vein, eh? =P

They are. They're making a animated movie based around the 60s Batman which will be starring Adam West and Burt Ward. It's going to be one of the DC Animated Movie Universe films so the discussion for that is in that thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

New news check it

BvS is coming earlier than expected, like, this MONDAY, and will be play in front of Avengers, ironically enough.

ol' Zack Attack himself posted a very short preview of it on his tweeter, features a look at the Batsuit

jyPRoyz.png

In addition, participating IMAX theatres will be premiere it beforehand on the 20th, and the website to get the free tickets for that is right here, i got my tickets ready, dunno if i'll actually make the drive but if i can sure why not

Also in other news, Wonder Woman's original director Michelle Maclaren, has left due to "creative differences", but WB just hired Patty Jenkins to fill in the spot. Not familiar with her work but she's apparently another great TV director making the transition to big screen movies. Kind of funny that Jenkins was actually gonna direct Thor 2 at one point, but left over creative differences as well, and now is on WW, a movie where almost the exact same thing happened to the previous director

• 2 weeks later...

Jared Leto's Joker is unsettling as hell. Interesting interpretation, his performance is gonna be key.

zqKYfEg.jpg

Well at least his face is still attached. Not really sure if I like this look or not, going to need some time to let it sink in.

Hmmmm.... I dunno why, but this design really gives off kind of a Juggalo vibe. Not really sure how I feel about it at the moment...

Okay it sunk in and I don't like it. My problems mainly with the tattoos there's just so many of them, and in my opinion take away from the character. What made Joker creepy and disturbing for me was the fact he masqueraded as a clown, a figure of joy and foolishness but was a nihilistic force of chaos with a grin and loud suit. This version looks like they're trying too hard, which seems to be the norm over at DC atm. Shame cause Leto without all the ink would be great.

Hmmmm.... I dunno why, but this design really gives off kind of a Juggalo vibe. Not really sure how I feel about it at the moment...

FUCK. You're right I can't stop seeing it now.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's definitely different.

I feel like I would like this look better if they just got rid of the unnecessary tattoos on his face. Joker hiding a bunch of wierd-ass tattoos under his clothes is an interesting angle, and the teeth thing makes sense considering Batman is probably punching him in the mouth on a regular basis anyway.

I don't know. I guess stuff like the "damaged" tat across his forehead just comes off a bit too tryhard for my tastes.

• Thumbs Up 1

One look at this picture and I know they're trying way too hard with this.  He looks more like a crazy punk rocker than the Joker, whose supposed to be a freaking clown.  I know it's a little early to say this, but I get the feeling that all these DC movies are going to suck.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't hate Leto Joker but I don't like it either....I'll reserve judgement until there's some actual footage to see though, it's his performance that'll make or break it.

I absolutely hated Heath Ledger the first time I seen his makeup but he ended up being the best thing about the dark knight, as one of the few folk who can't stand the Nolan movies, Ledger's performance was one of the only things that made them bearable to me.

I'm wondering, with the Joker redesign, if this is the movie that becomes Peak Grimdark just like Batman and Robin was Peak Camp.

Jared Leto's Joker is unsettling as hell. Interesting interpretation, his performance is gonna be key.

zqKYfEg.jpg

I want the word "Damaged" on my forehead because I'm all messed up, ya know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-eYiD9OfM 

I think the movie looks better with the extra colors. I'd be interested to see the full movie like that.

I still think this just looks bad. Man of Steels visuals were the only good part of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I'm fine with this interpretation. And while I'm not especially fond of the forehead tattoo, I'm still pleasantly surprised. I'm actually happy that they went with such a unique direction. I didn't really want Leto to tackle the role in the same manner as Ledger. I didn't really want him to try and make his role into a carbon copy of what we've seen already. I think it's a novel approach to a cultural icon, and I do want to give Ayer and Leto the chance to leave a good impression. And while I'm not completely sold on this interpretation, I'm more than happy to withhold judgment until we see footage of his performance. I feel like it's silly to judge the worth of an entire film off one promotional image. 

In conclusion, I wish more people were willing to give it a chance. Jared Leto is, by all accounts, an exceptional actor. Personally, I would be more afraid if the role was given to almost anyone else, but I have hope that Leto will prove the naysayers wrong. The movie isn't even out for more than a year. We've seen precious little evidence that Suicide Squad will be terrible. In other words, does it really hurt to give this film a chance? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Joker will allegedly not have the tattoos in the movie

The production crew has done a very good job of keeping Jared Leto’s appearance under wraps, literally. We have been informed that this is because his character will look slightly different from the images released previously. It has been confirmed to us that the Joker will be tattoo free, despite being covered in distinct markings in the character reveal photo.

http://unluckyarchers.com/2015/04/27/suicide-squad-inside-information-exclusive-new-character-reveal/

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh thank God. I can rest easy tonight. 

I was prepared to live with the choice of them having The Joker inked, but this news is just what I wanted to hear before bed.