Awoo.

The Lost Media Topic

Klinsy

Sometimes, a work is "lost" and there's very little left of it, while some works get rescued by getting a official release of some kind or being kept alive by fans, some aren't so lucky.

This topic is here to document lost works, those who's presence are known of but can't be seen, like some sort of ghost.

The Moxy Show:

The_Moxy_Show_%28logo%29.jpg

So, here's a show that's in a strange place, it was on for 7 years, has the important place in Cartoon Network history by being their first original programing(granted dedicated to showing old programing) and had voice work as famous as Chris Rock, but how little proof of this existence there is, you would swear the whole thing was some sort of April Fools joke (It didn't help that it last aired on April First.)

For some reason, Cartoon Network stopped showing it in the year 2000 and didn't bother bringing it to Boomerang or DVD, no idea why, maybe they were embarrassed by it, maybe they didn't think it was popular enough to bother with or maybe there was some issues behind the scenes.

Whatever the reason, I feel really bad for the fans of this show, if they didn't record it they're pretty much screwed if they ever want to watch it again, it doesn't help there's little of it on the internet.

Shiftylook.com

This is a recent one and one that is personal to me:

Shiftylook was a website dedicated to give Namco games revivals via webcomics and other web material.

Unfortunately it was deiced to  shut down in 2014 and the site was gone for good on September 30th, 2014.

While, the site's Youtube channel is still around and a couple of their social  media accounts with some of the comics posted on them still exist, as well as a few of the comics getting reprinted by Udon, the site itself is long gone.

One noticeable example of what was lost when the site went down is the visual novel Namco High (which is what I base my Meowkie roleplay off.), a good chuck of the novel's content was gone when they removed the store for it in early 2014 and the game itself vanished during the summer of the year, while the videos and comics could be saved, the novel can't be played anymore unless it ever gets a rerelease.

I loved the site and all it had offer and visited it everyday, so this is a sad example of it for me.

Got any lost media you want to talk about? Go ahead and post it here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Since we have this topic, I suppose I'll mention that the long lost Boston episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force was finally leaked on Youtube. This episode was infamous for being cancelled due to the whole Boston mess that occurred during the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie and this episode that was to mock the whole situation was cancelled in order not to cause more trouble.

There is one other series I'd like to mention that is missing.

Spongebob Squarepants: Astrology With Squidward Missing Shorts Series.

AstroSquid.jpg

Nickelodeon aired a series of Spongebob shorts back during 2000 and 2001 where the shorts starred Squidward as he talked about the different parts of the zodiac by using his friends and other people in the Bikini Bottom as examples. It was a fun little series that was sadly lost.  

Currently, 6 different episodes have been recovered, 4 in English and three in Russian. The English episodes which are up on Youtube include the zodiacs of Tarus (Patrick), Gemini, Cancer (Mr.Krabs), and Pisces. The Russian versions of the recovered episodes include Sagitarius (Spongebob), Leo (Plankton), and again, Pisces.

Two episodes of the series remain fully lost (Liba, and Virgo)

Here's an example of one of the episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not so much lost as it's impossible (or at least ridiculously hard) to find. The PMD2 anime special... Yup. Dan Green voicing Grovyle was the best and worst thing ever at the same time. It used to be on here, and there are bits and pieces of it scattered in YTPs, but the whole thing seemingly can't be found.

I actually wanted to make this topic after reading through it.

It's a pretty cool wiki, but some things about it creep me out.

did you click random article and end up on the Timothy Treadwell article

The articles about lost footage or images of famous deaths are particularly disturbing to read about.

Especially the Brandon Lee one.

There's also two Lost Media pages written on Archie Sonic.

Written by a certain user who likes Big the Cat.

Who still hasn't updated the Chaotix Quest page :P

There's also two Lost Media pages written on Archie Sonic.

Written by a certain user who likes Big the Cat.

Who still hasn't updated the Chaotix Quest page :P

I do have one idea for a Archie Sonic page you could do: Archie Sonic - Original #247-300 Storylines, composing of the original stories that Ian was going to write before the reboot. While the page would be short at the start, it could become a really big page filled with information when Lost Hedgehog Tales hits.

I do think you should include the original versions of the Chaotix Quest covers and assuming you were the one who did the Endangered Species page as well, you could mention how had the Sonic/Mega Man crossover not happened, the original story idea would have been to have the emerald be under the sea.

Ah right.

Still, I do think the original #247-#300 storylines deserve a page, due to the fact so much material was lost.

This reminded me of a Joy Ride Studios commercial I remember seeing 13 years ago. I haven't been able to find anything on it until actually a few weeks ago.It's cool someone put a video up, I remember sonic being in a jail cell.

v80pjk.jpg

29opxsz.jpg

2jb0emo.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I've remembered that Joyride commercial for years, I'm so glad someone put them up.

Speaking of stuff from my childhood,

tumblr_m6c7alA6wx1rofwv3.png

Robot Jones...Whatever DID happen to him? They made like 6 episodes where Robot had this really cool text-to-speech synthesized voice before the network deemed it "too weird". When season 2 started, they changed his voice to a child actor, and then dubbed over all of season 1's episodes, leaving the original versions to be very hard to find. I've found 6/13 of the 11 minute segments, which is good enough for me.

Looking back on it, the show was kinda ugly, but it was that special kind of crudeness where it was really cool and distinct, and very fun to look at. Also, they managed to sneak this into an episode...

cap0194_by_ilovemygirlsomuch-d7bokjh.jpg

...But they edited it out (pretty poorly) once it was found.

One thing that I have just found was from the olden days of Smash Bros. Machinima:

Originally, it was up on the creator's YouTube, but then he removed it when he got a new channel.

Out of all the Disney Channel shows that most people have forgotten or never talk about, Teacher's Pet really stands out to me in that regard. I only know this show because there was actually a MOVIE in 2004, and I saw the trailer for it on the Disney US website all those years ago. The animation and art style really stood out to me, since it was created by the amazing Gary Baseman!

Now for years I've been trying to find clips or episodes of the show and it seemed almost non-existent. Like many other Disney Channel shows there was no VHS/DVD release, which means it's very hard to find anything of this besides the movie! Until today, when I found most if not all the episodes uploaded on to Youtube.

I'm so happy right now because I've been curious about this show for years and now I can finally watch it! PS: Nathan Lane aka Timon voices Spot the dog.

Almost two thirds of all silent films ever made are now lost or at best, fragmented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lost_films#1990s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incomplete_or_partially_lost_films

When sound came along, most studios were of the opinion that silent film was dead, that nobody would ever be interested inthe films again. They destroyed thousands of original negatives and recycled the film to be used for new movies.

Of the films that survived, many have been lost since because the negatives were improperly stored and have corroded since.

So yeah, there's a huge ammount of cinema history that was just killed because of short minded studio execs who thought there was no future for them.

Thankfully, there's been a massive resurgence in recent years of films being discovered and restored, but still, there are thousands of films we'll just never see again. It's a real shame.

• Thumbs Up 2

That banned in-house Rugrats comic creeped the hell outta me, not gonna lie.

The actual page we're shown made me laugh in an awkward sort of way, but yes the discription of what was added afterward is...ugh.

Since we have this topic, I suppose I'll mention that the long lost Boston episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force was finally leaked on Youtube. This episode was infamous for being cancelled due to the whole Boston mess that occurred during the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie and this episode that was to mock the whole situation was cancelled in order not to cause more trouble.

There is one other series I'd like to mention that is missing.

Spongebob Squarepants: Astrology With Squidward Missing Shorts Series.

AstroSquid.jpg

Nickelodeon aired a series of Spongebob shorts back during 2000 and 2001 where the shorts starred Squidward as he talked about the different parts of the zodiac by using his friends and other people in the Bikini Bottom as examples. It was a fun little series that was sadly lost.  

Currently, 6 different episodes have been recovered, 4 in English and three in Russian. The English episodes which are up on Youtube include the zodiacs of Tarus (Patrick), Gemini, Cancer (Mr.Krabs), and Pisces. The Russian versions of the recovered episodes include Sagitarius (Spongebob), Leo (Plankton), and again, Pisces.

Two episodes of the series remain fully lost (Liba, and Virgo)

Here's an example of one of the episodes.

So I gave Namco High a spin, the whole thing is here and it works, although the loading times seem to be much longer for some reason. This does seem to improve if you continue playing though, loading times get shorter later on.