Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 3D

Autosaver

16953901709_3061a4b64b_n.jpg

We got a taxman topic, why not a topic for the 3DS remakes? These SEGA remakes are actually pretty good, sometimes even the "definitive" experience of playing classic SEGA games. In Sonic the Hedgehog 3D, we got an added spindash similar to the Taxman version. The 3D version also features some nifty 3D. There's also a toggle to change it to look like you're playing it on a 1990's television. Cool, huh?

11180433533_d0aa14db8b.jpg

If you can't get access to the Taxman remakes, this is the next best thing. Sure the price is a little steep and you might own the game already, but playing it again in 3D breathes in new life. The new features such as toggling US or JPN release and spindash also make it fresh.

Now onto Sonic 2. I wonder what additions this version will have. Will it have lock on support by default? Wifi multiplayer? Local multiplayer? Taxman levels included? New content? Who knows? I love Sonic 2 and I wouldn't mind buying it again just so I can play it in 3D. To reiterate, the 3D in these releases are really well done. It's obvious the development team put a lot of effort into the title.

Now, what comes after Sonic 2? ...Sonic 3! I remember reading that some of the cooperation between Taxman and SEGA fell apart after their restructuring. This studio that is working on the 3D remakes is tied directly to SEGA and more importantly, their Japan division. I don't see why Sonic 3 couldn't be next in line after Sonic 2. It'd be an even bigger surprise if we got it before a Taxman release.

The 2015 Sonic title you've been waiting for! Sonic 2 3D.

Does it run at 60 FPS like the Taxman one?

Nope. These aren't ports or remakes lime the StealthTax versions, they're emulations and rom hacks. No wide-screen, no technical improvements, no frills. S13D is probably the best version of Sonic 1 since the MegaDrive original and Jam version. It plays well, the spindash is hacked in and generally the emulation is near-perfect. But it's just not as good as the StealthTax one. SEGA need to stop these emulations when they have a brilliant, up to date version that can run on a variety of modern devices. Its so much more difficult to do emulations and rom hacks, and totally not worth it when the final product will be inferior to boot.

Just to reiterate, these are about as good as emulations will get. It's the original games, and they've gone to some considerable effort to add in the spin-dash. They're so much better than crappy emulations like the Backbone versions (Generations, XBLA/PSN/Steam), but never going to have anything over the StealthTax remakes.

Pretty damn sure 3D Sonic is 60fps, hell 3D Outrun is 60 when the original was 30.

• Thumbs Up 1

This should really just be a SEGA 3D Classics topic. Sonic 1 is probably the most uninteresting of the ports M2's done, and Sonic 2 will likely be the same. OutRun and stuff have far more to discuss due to bonus features than "oh boy the spindash... again."

That, or I'll gladly make a separate 3D Classics topic. Might be better actually, keeping all the Sonic specific stuff in here so it's not a clash of discussions.

Nope.

Except yes, though. The original Sonic ran in 60 fps, so does this port.

Though the other stuff you said is correct, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except yes, though. The original Sonic ran in 60 fps, so does this port.

Though the other stuff you said is correct, anyway.

I thought he meant where it counted, like in the S2 Special Stages where things are smoothed out and where lag might occur in gameplay. You'll still get dips and unsmooth parts in these versions, unlike the StealthTax versions where it's all been rebuilt. They're 60fps games, but only the StealthTax versions will maintain that fully in-game.

This port's not a constant 60FPS unlike TaxStealth though. It's practically like playing it on the Mega Drive for the most part. I've also noticed a few odd glitches.

The spindash coding is ripped straight from Sonic Jam on the Saturn, and it's actually broken. The Spindash Charge doesn't hurt enemies, and spindashing into a Caterkiller just hurts you. It's not an amazing port, like I said, which is odd considering how absolutely staggeringly good the rest of the 3D Classics are. 

I was juuuuust about to talk about the other 3D Classics but this is just about the Sonic ones.

I really haven't played much of 3D Sonic 1, maybe that's because of boredom playing that and S2 at this point for me.

3D Sonic 1 is pretty good and nice to have on the go since I'm a fan of the original game.  My only actual disappointment with it, other than the missed opportunity of the StealthTax version improvements, was that the 3D layering of the backgrounds weren't as complex as they could've been.

For example, if stuff was on the same layer previously, it is here too.  In Marble Zone, there are some background ruins with trees behind them.  They scroll at the same speed in the original because they're on the same layer, but the 3D has not been put together so the trees are behind the ruins - they just look like a still-2D background that is simply further away than the foreground.  They would not need to create additional background layers to do this though - they could still remain permanently attached and scroll at the same speed together while having the trees look further away than the ruins.  It boggles the mind to think about too much, but in NSMB2, notice how the flowers on the ground appear to be on a different plane of 3D to the ground itself, yet they move at the same speed as if they are firmly attached at one point, whether you're playing with 3D on or off.  In real life, the flower would have to be moving slightly slower to be further away as you walked past it causing it to no longer line up exactly with the ground it started above during the entire duration of it passing by your vision, yet somehow the 3DS produces a convincing image that doesn't quite match this rule.

In this same way, I wish they had more subtle shifts of 3D.  For more Marble Zone examples, have the metal barred doorways have the bars slightly further back than the wall surrounding them.  Have the torches slightly forward rather than flat on the same 3D layer as the wall.

As is, while the 3D certainly enhances the visuals, it still very much feels like layers of flat 2D scenery than anything even halfway to looking like an actual 3D space.  Just like the original, the only thing that looks truly like a 3D expanse due to using multiple layers is the surface of the water in Green Hill Zone.

Obviously they can't magically make what was originally a 2D background into looking like a fully 3D space, but they could have broken it up more than they did - possibly only by using a port rather than emulation, but, so be it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have the Android versions and they cost half as much as the 3DS version so ultimately I never considered this port to be worth bothering with

I would be tempted to get 3D Sonic 2 if they added in Tails's flight though

Yeah I hate that it costs more and it's not even a full on remake. I got desperate to try it out though so I ended up buying it. It's also the only way to play the classic Sonic games on a handheld. I don't like Sonic 1 as much but I'll buy Sonic 2 and 3 if they come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can actually see the likelihood of there being a 3D Sonic 3 happening over a StealthTax Sonic 3 now.

There's no chance what-so-ever of Sonic 3 being re-released on any device right now.

I think there's good odds on Sonic CD getting a 3DS release.

There's no chance what-so-ever of Sonic 3 being re-released on any device right now.

As Blue Blood pointed out, these games are actually ports instead of full on remakes. Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam wasn't released too long ago, so there's a chance that any legal issues could be side stepped because of it being a port.

This is also SEGA of Japan and not SEGA of America. SoJ seems to have a better outreach at trying to solve these things.

Yeah I hate that it costs more and it's not even a full on remake. I got desperate to try it out though so I ended up buying it. It's also the only way to play the classic Sonic games on a handheld. 

While I admit, these ports aren't the best. There's certainly more than one way to play classic Sonic games on the go...

SCC_EU_cover.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

While I admit, these ports aren't the best. There's certainly more than one way to play classic Sonic games on the go...

SCC_EU_cover.jpg

That's no way to play Classic Sonic.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Gotta try Sonic 1 3D one day, my sister has a copy.

Personally, I just think it's a real shame that Sega would probably never consider integrating the 3D and StealthTax versions.  It's a bit weird how it's worked out that they've had two different teams working on two different portable systems making two different Sonic ports/remakes of the same game at the same time and with totally different priorities, but I don't imagine for a second that SoJ would ever have considered letting a western-developed version have any impact on their in-house versions, no matter how popular the former might be.

Either the guy who typed that is a lot more undereducated with the SEGA Genesis than they make out, or there's something special going on with this release.

Regardless of my feelings on the Adventure games, and how this is obviously a strange typo, it's always been a pet peeve of mine when multitudes of sites and reviews and people over the years that mention the call it "Sonic Adventures" or in this case as far as adding it to the sequel "Sonic Adventures 2". No where on the case does the game have an "s" on the end of the title, it's not plural, how did this become a mainstream mistake to make.

It would be like saying, man I love that game God of Wars, or have you ever played Metal Gear Solids?! Dude that game Legend of Zeldas is awesome!!

I mean really, why does it only ever seem to be Sonic Adventure that ends up with a non existent plural lumped on the end of it >.<

Regardless of my feelings on the Adventure games, and how this is obviously a strange typo, it's always been a pet peeve of mine when multitudes of sites and reviews and people over the years that mention the call it "Sonic Adventures" or in this case as far as adding it to the sequel "Sonic Adventures 2". No where on the case does the game have an "s" on the end of the title, it's not plural, how did this become a mainstream mistake to make.

It would be like saying, man I love that game God of Wars, or have you ever played Metal Gear Solids?! Dude that game Legend of Zeldas is awesome!!

I mean really, why does it only ever seem to be Sonic Adventure that ends up with a non existent plural lumped on the end of it >.<

Speak for yourself. My favourite game is Sonic Adventure Battles 2.