Awoo.

The Hedgehog is a short film about video game obsession that I directed.

What do people make of the film?

https://vimeo.com/117371025
  • Thumbs Up 5

I watched it before you even posted it. XP

The hedgehog is cute! I just wanna hug the kid in the Sonic suit! <333

The ending kinda confused me though. 

Why did the guy want to hang himself?

Just a heads up SSMB, if you're feeling kinda down, you might wanna skip on this for a while.

It's really good, but... my god the ending is depressing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The cinematography is excellent and scenes with the kid running around pretending to be Sonic are cute and remind me of myself when I was younger and obsessed with Sonic, but the suicide scene was confusing and out of nowhere. The man holding his Sonic doll moments before supposedly taking his life was an efficient tear-jerker, but after thinking about it, it just comes off as throwing dark vague shit at the audience for literally no reason other than shock value. What exactly was the message there?

• Thumbs Up 3

The man holding his Sonic doll moments before supposedly taking his life was an efficient tear-jerker, but after thinking about it, it just comes off as throwing dark vague shit at the audience for literally no reason other than shock value. What exactly was the message there?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to echo this.  I didn't see anything particularly potent or interesting about that ending.  Guy doesn't wanna grow up, kills himself.  Alright?  So?  There isn't really anything to think about or ponder, it's just sad for no reason.

But with that said, the cinematography was pretty good, and very effectively evoked a strong mood throughout the duration.  The music helped this too.  It definitely had an atmosphere to it.

So while I can't say the story was particularly interesting, it has some very good elements that show off your directorial potential.  Keep at it!

• Thumbs Up 1

What exactly was the message there?

The first thing I got was 'all Sonic fans are going to look for adventure, fail to find it, then die from depression.'

Though I have to agree with your criticism, I kinda get what the directors were going for, I think it's supposed to be a life without joy and obsession can lead to depression and... suicide. But yeah, it was a bit 'has this just been done for shock value?'

I'm a little mixed on it, the quality of the film is really good, that's evident, but the ending was a little, yeah not sure how I feel after that, certainly don't like the possible implication that being a super fan of something can be an unhealthy thing when that's a very weak stereotype.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that was... something.

So are the man and the kid the same person? I would assume so given they're both holding the plush at the same time.

Though why the suicide either way? So the guy doesn't want to grow up... does he have to? Other than adult responsibilities, I see no reason he still can't enjoy youthful things in his personal time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really sure what the message this short is trying to convey outside of the obvious, but I think I've figured some stuff out.

Going by the fact that the guy is bald, has a red shirt/jacket, and had a parakeet in a cage, I'm guessing he was supposed to resemble Eggman rather than just being a random man, but then I can't find much more meaning that would have in the story at that point.

I'm guessing Sonic was one of his obsessions at one point, but since it lacked what he was looking for, like what the kid was feeling near the end of his playtime, he moved on to other sources of potential adventure and excitement, as shown by the room full of other action figures. That in turn turned into a search for media, and then finally (caging and keeping) animals.

I guess the short is saying that the kid could eventually lead up to such a state if he keeps searching down such a futile path as the main source for meaning, as "lonely" is brought up quite a lot in the discriptions, but in a way, what if this sort of applies to the Sonic universe, as well? What if Sonic could have turned out like Eggman if he didn't have any friends? They both are childish and impulsive, and they both seek excitement in their lives to a degree, so if Sonic never had the attention of anybody in his whole life, as the short is implying, would he go down the same self-destructive path that Eggman has gone in a desperate search for captivation and excitement?

That, or this short is just conveying the effect RoL has had on everybody :U

Thanks guys the feedback is all really honest and exactly what we were looking for. 

I guess you could say we were initially inspired by the amount of content today there is around a certain blue hedgehog.

Agreed the suicide is strong but when we were writing it, it seemed a logical step to end such a short film in this way to bring some drama to the story. Plus what can I say? I love dark and surreal tone in cinema.

The narrative is certainly open for interpretation but we were really about trying to create another world in the same way we explore alternate worlds in video games. The character(s) in the film portray an exaggeration on the impact of game culture.

When I was younger I was also obsessed with Sonic, so I've often wondered about the subtle addictive qualities of video games, and in contrast to the popular games of today. Do people think gaming today is more or less addictive?

Both the cinematography and the atmosphere are great. Trying to identify who the older man was and what his motives and backstory were required some additional analysis after my first watch, but it only ended up with me liking what I was watching more the further I looked into it. I needed to watching the film several times before I could form a solid opinion on the ending and whether or not I considered it a good choice to make his suicide a part of the film, but I've come to like the film's plot as a whole.

My favorite little detail of this short is how you made the older version of the child resemble Eggman, the very character which Sonic was determined to fight against. Showing how the kid went from dressing like Sonic in his youth to looking like Eggman was a terrific idea that was pulled off tremendously well. 

Though why the suicide either way? So the guy doesn't want to grow up... does he have to? Other than adult responsibilities, I see no reason he still can't enjoy youthful things in his personal time.

He can't enjoy youthful things because SEGA killed it. SEGA hung itself and with that, killed Sonic. See: Sonic Boom

lel

The character(s) in the film portray an exaggeration on the impact of game culture.

When I was younger I was also obsessed with Sonic, so I've often wondered about the subtle addictive qualities of video games, and in contrast to the popular games of today. Do people think gaming today is more or less addictive?

The "impact of game culture" leading people to depression and ultimately suicide is a really toxic view point, in my opinion. Especially since I would argue most people play video games because they're fun and they make us feel good.

And video games being more or less addictive feels like a loaded question. Yes, I would say more people play video games, and for longer, these days than they probably did two decades ago but what video games are now is also much broader and appeals to many different aspects of human interests. It's kind of a non question.

• Thumbs Up 3

That was the most cynical piece of shit I've seen through. Like "Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared" without the camp that makes such a production appealing and likable. Sort of like that infamous Superbowl commercial that aired this year. You could call it "The Strawman Fanboy" and it wouldn't change it a bit.

And cut your bullshit rhetorical questions about "Do people think gaming today is more or less addictive?". You sound like a 40-year old Kotaku writer, and that's not a compliment.

Wow. Asshole much?

Enjoyed the film, thought it was very well filmed with an interesting idea explored. Visually it was lovely and I liked the contrast between the two leads and the stories it could imply. I could imagine somebody could get so caught up in a world of collecting and cutting themselves off from people with the world of video games they forget to live for themselves - however video games have moved to become much more sociable nowadays, so I'm not sure it would be an issue affecting today's generation. For what it was though, I enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 6

I wouldn't say I'm anti-game, just intrigued by an obsession from a young age and a 'what if' nightmare scenario.

When a lot of people think badly of video games today, they may reference GTA, COD, etc. and address the whole violence/cathartic argument, but its interesting to think of sonic in contrast. All video games can be considered addictive and transcendental on some level.

I can see how people would interpret the film as having this anti game message and I would agree its certainly unrealistic but it wasn't intended to suggest people should stop playing games or you might die.
The character was also largely inspired by Peter Pan syndrome; a pop psychological term for not wanting to grow up. In games we visit new worlds and can die as many times as we want, for him paradoxically he sees this as an escape in reality but who is to say what is and isn't the reality in this film.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the message that the film is trying to convey is that if eoneone cannot accept reality and ignores the outside world, they won't have a very fulfilling life and might very well deteriorate to the point where life just becomes too painful or pointless for them. It didn't come off as anti-gamer to me, I think that the man only just so happened to be a gamer who became so obsessed with what he did that he completely blanked the outside world out. The loneliness and unfulfillingness of his life eventually consumed him and pushed him to end it all.

I really thought that the film was well written and the cinematography was fantastic. It had so much meaning and depth for a film without any dialogue whatsoever, and it does leave an impact on you. I personally found that impact to be very dark and somewhat disturbing, not in a way that detracts from the film, rather in a way that works with the film to create that air of tragedy.

Well, that was.... interesting. I got a different message from this, I think its the case of someone who can't accept the reality of getting older. Which is understandable for some people, life past your innocent youth days can be scary. I didn't grasp the addiction to video games message. As a matter of fact that wasn't the first thing that pop in my mind after I saw the film. 

On the plus side, the cinematography was done extremely well and I enjoy the film. 

Was the Suicide really that out of nowhere?
The melechony feeling of the whole film with the music and worn down British village did nothing but build up some sort of tragedy or uncomfortable ending up for me.
Altough I suppose it would have been cute if the movie ended with "Sonic" and "Eggman" bonding over their love of videogames and playing together. But hey, it's art, no happy endings allowed, happyness is cheesy and childish and stuff.

Altough I would probably end the movie with a sudden upbeat action reenactment of the Games, but that's why I'm a stupid parody cartoon maker and not an art film maker.

Anyway, uhh, movie didn't get much of a reaction from me. It seems to put the fears and worries of our generation's parents and some of our own in visual form. That's neat.
But since this discomfort of nerd culture and the demand to get a "Real life" is such a constant present force around us, the constant attacks from the media, trolls on the internet and parental figures, it doesn't have an effect on me anymore beyond "Oh this again."

Tough considering the intense anger this movie seems to get from some people, I guess it does hit a few nerves.
But whatever, in my interpretation, this movie isn't really trying to teach us or tell us something, it's mostly turning the fears lingering in a lot of people's minds into a movie.
So getting angry or pointing out that not every Sonic fan commits suicide is probably unnecesairy. This is an emotion movie, not a educational or moralistic movie.
And the film maker here mostly describing his choices with a 'it felt good to me' attitude confirms my expectations.

Must say I love the first shot of "Robotnik" from the distance in the wheelchair, that was neat. Almost wish he was only seen from a vague distance.

Hmm, okay, so there is at least one question lingering in my mind from this movie, altough I doubt the film maker will give me an answer since that would ruin the point of an art film.

But since the movie seems to be about Geeks in general, with the VCR and action figure toys everywhere, it makes me wonder why Sonic is The ultimate posterboy representing this phenomenon.

Probably because using something that looks more like a Children's mascotte rather then a Power Ranger or something more "mature" looking is extra visually powerful, but still.
Can't help but ponder further implications.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was the most cynical piece of shit I've seen through. Like "Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared" without the camp that makes such a production appealing and likable. Sort of like that infamous Superbowl commercial that aired this year. You could call it "The Strawman Fanboy" and it wouldn't change it a bit.

And cut your bullshit rhetorical questions about "Do people think gaming today is more or less addictive?". You sound like a 40-year old Kotaku writer, and that's not a compliment.

Yes, gaming is addictive as everything else in this world. But it also is an artform, like music and film, that inspires people. It inspired me to become a musician.

Way too much exaggerate from you Lemanic,how about to start giving more critic less insulting, stop acting like an asshole simple.

Edit watched, i find this very brutal at the last part.

Way too much exaggerate from you Lemanic,how about to start giving more critic less insulting, stop acting like an asshole simple.

Edit watched, i find this very brutal at the last part.

• Thumbs Up 2

The imagery in the cinematography really emulated the weird blur of reality and game really well. The film could be expanded sure enough to explore other themes, but what themes it does cover it covers awfully well. When you get to the hills and evoke the feeling of going through Green Hill only to show how actually drab and unadventurous it was, that really hit. The line of pretending to have an adventure and the act of actually having the adventure by going out of your comfort zone was effectively orchestrated, Lee & Storrie. There's keeping cherished memories of the past, then there's dwelling on them. There's the dwelling of wanting to not have consequences, to ignore reality, and having that reality crash down on you. 

Videogames are enjoyable, you guys have to repeat this every time when you're asked about "but does this mean videogames are bad?" No, they're not. But not living in the present for the future is. Pretending instead of working to become the hero is the obsessive and creepy part. 

Your point was well made. And you made a very poignant picture out of it. Things change, and sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone to experience the best in life. That doesn't mean you don't have to let go, it just means to not let it consume your life. 

Wow, some really informed feedback here, thank you everyone, I have taken the words written here with a lot of thought.
For a film with no words, it is surprising how much can be read but it was never the idea to trick or offend sonic fans, nor people with mental disorders.

Visual film language is somewhat restrictive in that I believe we are bound by stereotypes, plot structures and cliches (to an extent) in order to string a comprehensive narrative together and effectively incite drama, comedy, end a film etc. but I'm all for discovering new ideas so its great to hear your thoughts.

On referencing Sonic, THE global icon of video gaming seemed most fitting for the 'hero' for the film. TBH he's been my favourite hero for 20 years. Also the absurdity of wanting to be a speedy blue hedgehog... its quite impossible to imagine so this was of interest to try to bring this to reality. And why not Mario? I couldn't imagine a boy wanting to be a mushroom eating italian plumber. But maybe theres the sequel ;)

First off I hate when people say that video games make you antisocial.

Like if you’re antisocial and you play video games, than video games are why you are antisocial.

There's a big difference between

being antisocial because you play video games.

And playing video games, because you are antisocial.

As for ignoring the outside world.

You can be vary social and still get depressed.

What if you try so hard to be socially accepted that you lose the real you?

This song is a good illustration on my point.

Blue Man Group - Persona ( LIVE ) 720p

or this

Blue Man Group - The Complex - The Complex Tour.mp4

PS

I love the boys Sonic suit. I want one.