Awoo.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (PS4, ONE, PS3, 360)

Junko

Putting to rest months of cryptic tweets from Tony Hawk, Activision and developer Robomodo have officially announced Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 – a return to the classic gameplay of the series' heyday.

The game is slated to come out on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later in the year, with PS3 and Xbox 360 versions following shortly thereafter.

As the name indicates, Pro Skater 5 is a call back to the old-school lineage of the first four titles – back when the franchise was in its prime. The game weds the series' finely tuned gameplay with new additions such as power-ups and the ability to shoot projectiles for specific missions.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 features a new set of levels packed with objectives and missions you can complete solo or with friends via online co-op and competitive play. Whether you just want to have a session with friends or strangers or want to level up your character online and then take them offline, the game's online flow is seamless. Your created skate parks can also be shared with world.

THPS 5, of course, brings back Tony Hawk, and he's joined by some of the series' familiar faces as well as a new generation of skaters influenced by the original titles. Skaters include, Nyjah Huston, Aaron Homoki, Ishod Wair, Riley Hawk, Lizzie Armanto, Chris Cole, David Gonzalez, Leticia Bufoni, and Andrew Reynolds.

The June issue of Game Informer (available later today to digital subscribers) features a six-page feature on the game with our hands-on impressions and all the details.

thps55.5reveal610.jpg

thps55.5revealextrae.jpg

thps55.5revealextrad.jpg

Source and more screens over here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome. I may have a preference for the Skate series but I can still go for some arcade style skating fun with Tony Hawk. Here's hoping it's not trash. 

THPS3 was my jam

hope this one is just as good, if not better

Will have "power-ups and the ability to shoot projectiles for specific missions."

I.... What?

why would this not spark interest we've been hyped about this for a while now.

This is great, I wonder what music will be used this time

why would this not spark interest we've been hyped about this for a while now.

Mostly after I remember THPSHD tanking, so

This definitely has my interest. I had a lot of fun with the original THPS on Dreamcast and THPS3 on Gamecube. I'm hoping that the music will be as enjoyable in this as it was in those games as well; quite a few songs in my music library are ones that I first heard through this series.

PS3/360

jesus christ when will we cut the fucking anchors for good, I was wondering why the screens looked so god damn ugly

uugughghghghghghghh

hope it's good I guess, I loved Underground as a kid. This cross-gen bullshit is some real fucking bullshit though. Not even on PC, ffs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mostly after I remember THPSHD tanking, so

THPSHD tanked because it was shit.

This might not be.

PS3/360

jesus christ when will we cut the fucking anchors for good, I was wondering why the screens looked so god damn ugly

uugughghghghghghghh

hope it's good I guess, I loved Underground as a kid. This cross-gen bullshit is some real fucking bullshit though. Not even on PC, ffs.

The Tony Hawk games never looked particularly good. I guarantee you if it was on PS4 it would still look like shit.

PS3/360

Tony Hawk games I don't think ever looked good...

The Tony Hawk games never looked particularly good. I guarantee you if it was on PS4 it would still look like shit.

The PS2 games didn't look like PS1 games and the PS3 games didn't look like PS2 games. 

The gap between gens is so enormous and affects so many aspects of design that they really don't need to be overachievers to reach past the PS3's capabilities

this is still bullshit

and no PC version is even more bullshit, but you're the last person I'd need to say that to

edit - like seriously just using some default features built into UE4 is already enough to shoot past the PS3

• Thumbs Up 4

Is this coming to the PS2?

Seriously, though, I don't know how Activision could've botched this reveal more. They are using the same developer from such beloved titles such as Tony Hawk Ride, Shred and Pro Skater HD, show it looking terrible and one sentence after saying it's a return to the series' roots, they talk about power-ups and projectile shooting.

Yeesh.

PS3/360

uugughghghghghghghh

The game barely looks like a 360 launch title. I wouldn't blame last gen for this looking terrible.
  • Thumbs Up 3

If Activision are calling this game THPS5 and it doesn't have the namesake legacy gameplay, then they can completely fuck off and kiss this series goodbye in the process.

A proper return to form could fully revive the Tony Hawk series and the skating game genre or put the final nails in its (long-gestating) coffin. Unfortunately, getting Robomodo (who did the brilliant TH Ride, Shred, and THPS2X Inferior Edition THPS HD) and adding powerups and shooting projectiles to the classic gameplay aren't helping your chances. Which sucks, because I'd love to have a modern THPS game and I'm pretty happy about everything else mentioned. /Still burned about Sanic 4

Can't wait to play this Wii game. The graphics look impressive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dissy's salt knows no bounds! :P

But yeah, I'm excited. unsure as to why theres no PC port but THPSHD didn't have one either right?

Hopefully they bump up the graphics in the later stages and they don't keep the activision tradition of dumbing down the older ports, that was soo unneeded for the first 4 titles and I hope to see that tradition dead with the 5th title.

You know, I thought the graphics were alright at first (the environments anyway) but:

Lm90GM2.jpg

thps5_beach_laticia_shoveit.jpg

thps5_warehouse_tony_3_copy.jpg

Ugh. Regardless on whether the series' graphics have historically looked appealing or not, these shots look downright average and the models look like utter tripe. This definitely isn't the PS3/360's fault either, one only needs to look at later-gen PS3/360 games like TLoU and GTAV. These on the other hand looks like an early PS3/360 game. With models ripped from the PS2 or Wii.

So disappointing.

Look, Activision. You got no PC version, you got another cross-gen game, and you don't even have good graphics. Unless Spiderman suddenly shows up as a guest skateboarder again, then count me the fuck out of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh I don't even know how to feel.

I was completely stoked for THPS5, but hearing Robomodo are doing it really throws off my feel. That game feels like complete trash, not to forget looks the part as well (on PS3 my game actually crashes sometimes because it can't handle the robot character doing certain tricks). Shred and Ride and ToiletShitting and all those games I didn't play but I've heard they are completely garbage.

I guess all I can hope for is that for whatever reason or another, maybe the series ass's being on the line and/or given a higher budget or something, the game actually turns out great. The gameplay has to be perfectly on par with the prime of THPS, offer extremely expansive creation modes, and nail a completely fantastic soundtrack. I actually hope they carry over Underground "getting off the board" shit, and keep some of those later ideas intact. Build-a-park, as much as this is asking for, needs to be a modern gaming sandbox, which is pretty daunting. FarCry, LBP, etc levels of option and detail, and a lot of availability in storage space. The music might be the hardest thing, trying to capture all generations of skateboarding and THPS games. Alternatively they can just go with what's happening now with a few older 80s and 90s songs, but I reaaaaally hope they don't skim out on some ska and punk in favor for a largely hiphop based soundtrack. As cool as hiphop and stuff is, I feel like ska and punk can't be chump changed.

Also, there better be some extremely awesome cameo secret characters. Robomodo has to 1-up having Spiderman, Iron Man, Jango Fett, and Gene Simons; I better be playing as Shovel Knight or something haha

• Thumbs Up 2

THPS5 as you truly imagined it.

Yeah, this is going to suck, because:

1. No Neversoft.

2. The most appealing thing in the series is the soundtrack. And the soundtrack is in the late 90 and early 2000.

The original 4 are already master pieces, Underground 1 and 2 were great, AW was nice, but after that...

THPS HD is just not the same, and 5 will most likely use the same engine. The only good thing about it was the soundtrack, but you know it.

Also no Bam, no buy.

No mention of local multiplayer is scary. THPSHD is virtually useless to me without it.

Why not puchasing the EA Blackbox control to attract the MUCH larger Skate-fanbase. A more refined and modern gameplay. Loose the "... new additions such as power-ups and the ability to shoot projectiles for specific missions." think a little. Robomodo can't do shit. When Neversoft left, they should've just stop producing. 

Because Black Box is dead.