Awoo.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (PS4, ONE, PS3, 360)

Junko

Don't worry, guys.  There are much better skating games you can be playing right now.

latest?cb=20110327164855

Well duh.

The_Simpsons_Skateboarding_PS2.jpg

tumblr_n1rk28sNHN1srthz2o1_500.gif

• Thumbs Up 8

This year's Rise of Lyric indeed.

This game's a lot more than that.

It's this year's (and the series') Rise of Lyric for how laughably unpolished it is; the series' Sonic 2006 for it supposed to bring a glitchy, rushed attempt to revive the Tony Hawk series for a new generation of consoles, and its' the series' Sonic 4 for being a terrible sequel to a series of beloved games.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5. It's like the father, the son, and the holy ghost of Sonic's lowest and most disappointing points.

Oh wow, that's pretty bad. 

But I wonder if it's worse than Skate 3.

Skate 3 has the benefit of still being a good game, which makes its glitches have a narm charm to them.

THPS5 has none of that going for it. When you encounter glitches, they're funny, but more in the sense of them just adding salt to the wound.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 6

Oh geez.

Well uh, I think I'll get this when the price drops to 99 cents like the PS2 games. I have to say though, those glitches are hilarious.

... Geezus. We could've had a genuinely intriguing return to form with this particular genre instead of... whatever this mess is supposed to be. Are we really never gonna get another great Tony Hawk game?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, people are going to have a field day with this one.

I have a feeling this is the final nail in the series. Which sucks because I remember having fun playing the first three games during my childhood. This game would've revived series but instead we got this.  :/

... Geezus. We could've had a genuinely intriguing return to form with this particular genre instead of... whatever this mess is supposed to be. Are we really never gonna get another great Tony Hawk game?

Given the current market --the extreme sports/skateboarding genre of videogames has been deader than disco for a while now; the closest competitor to Tony Hawk, EA's Skate series, has effectively been orphaned after its developer EA Black Box was shuttered-- and the state of the series as a whole --THPS5 is just the latest in what has been a long string of disappointing titles, and the Tony Hawk videogame license is also set to expire this year-- I doubt we'll even get another Tony Hawk game, full stop.

The general low-budget, unpolished nature of the game, as well as the lack of advance copies sent to reviewers, shows a large lack of confidence in the project by Activision's part. The game looks and feels hashed together from the start just so the company could cash in on the series one last time (and what better way to do it than to ride the coattails of the most cherished games of the series?), and then sent out to die with minimal fanfare. Even if there were any plans on Activision's part to renew the Tony Hawk license and make more games following THPS5, those plans are definitely dead in the water now.

Edited by Gabe

I had a crazy thought: What if when the License is up Nintendo makes a deal and snatches it up, and makes Tony Hawk and Mario Skate Kingdom. Mixes a fun cartoony world of stylized skaters mixed with Mario characters. Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo's picked up and used a real life character IP(albeit Ken Griffth being the main one), and they would be one of the few companies who might be able to revitalize the genre, and they do like sports games

I had a crazy thought: What if when the License is up Nintendo makes a deal and snatches it up, and makes Tony Hawk and Mario Skate Kingdom. Mixes a fun cartoony world of stylized skaters mixed with Mario characters. Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo's picked up and used a real life character IP(albeit Ken Griffth being the main one), and they would be one of the few companies who might be able to revitalize the genre, and they do like sports games

They won't. Not only will Nintendo not care, but I think Tony Hawk will want his games getting as much exposure as possible, which they simply won't get if they are exclusive to Nintendo. Also, as Gabe said, the genre is a fossil, so Hawk would be delusional to think that the games will do well anyway. Lastly, I don't think Nintendo would produce a game to cash in on a real life sportsman, we're not talking about EA. speaking of EA, I think the or Ubisoft would be the most likely candidates for snatching up the license if it even goes to anyone else. 

Overall, genre is dead, Nintendo won't care for Hawk games, Hawk won't care for Nintendo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So another borderline broken game and of course, Activision didn't givd any review copies. I think that at this point and inthe future that is quite clear sign of quality and effort. I think this is the last nail in this franchaises coffin.

Thankfully internet is already shown the games quality even if reviews haven't still come out.

Actvision is the worst, goddamn. Neversoft must've been laughing their asses off right now. Not that I think it's cool to have your legacy thrown in the mud, anyway. They fucking know that they can't be beaten. THPS 2 > everything. Next step to Actvision now is to put the THPS IP in the freezer with many others beloved childhood franchises that were corrupted and forgoten. By the way, which will be next victim? I heard that they are making a new Guitar Hero, is that right?

I heard that they are making a new Guitar Hero, is that right?

Yes. It's called Guitar Hero Live for WiiU, PS3, PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360. The game is going to be released worlwide on October 20th, 2015.

EDIT: Damn. PC, iOS and Android versions of Guitar Hero Live was cancelled. And the game is delayed to October 23th, 2015 in Europe.

Edited by AshGreninJovan

Actvision is the worst, goddamn. Neversoft must've been laughing their asses off right now.

They're not, because they don't exist anymore. Neversoft was folded into Infinity Ward a few years ago.

Next step to Actvision now is to put the THPS IP in the freezer with many others beloved childhood franchises that were corrupted and forgoten.

They won't need to, the Tony Hawk videogame license is going to expire by this year's end anyway.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 4

Activision is aware of the issues and are trying to fix them. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/01/activision-aware-of-tony-hawks-pro-skater-5-issues

"We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 and are working with the developer to address these so that we can continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of the Tony Hawk fans who have known and loved this franchise for more than 16 years."

They may as well have not bothered.

• Thumbs Up 4

I really don't know if this applies to video games, since it doesn't state or it does or not. 

Eurogamer thinks it does - their article is well worth reading.  The only question is whether it applies retroactively.

Edited by FFWF
Edit: Pretty sure my coding wasn't broken earlier, but if you say so, forum technology.
  • Thumbs Up 1

LaIaNMH.png

otUJCBN.png

rdUCWcJ.png

TlQFs9e.jpg

Let it sink in. (Yeah, its only five reviews in, but do you honestly expect the metascore to significantly improve beyond this point?)

TlQFs9e.jpg

Let it sink in. (Yeah, its only five reviews in, but do you honestly expect the metascore to significantly improve beyond this point?)

My word... It's really worse than, say, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric!?

My word... It's really worse than, say, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric!?

Yep. Worse than Sonic 06 too.

tumblr_nf287nax801s514nio1_500.png

It's also worse than the metascores of Tony Hawk Motion (39) and Tony Hawk Ride (44 on the PS3, the 360/Wii versions' scores are slightly higher); so unless reviews jump up significantly (I doubt it), it's the Tony Hawk franchise's worst-reviewed title.

TlQFs9e.jpg

7yilAVc.png

rDY63AW.png

You know what they (don't) say-you save the worst for last.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 1