Awoo.

Sega Sales figures Year End March 2015

Badnik Mechanic

Figured this was strong enough to stand on it's own topic.

Sega has just published it's sales figures for year end March 2015 The reports are as follows.

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201503_4q_tanshinhosoku_e_final_.pdf

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201503_4q_tanshin_e_final.pdf

And we have some handy tables.

sega2h7upv.png

sega2h7upv.png

sega1prunv.png

What the numbers mean

Title on the left, number illustrates total number sold. Figures come from GAF, the + figures are year end Dec 2014 figures.

(The + figures come from here) https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201503_3q_tanshinhosoku_e_final.pdf

• Alien: Isolation - 2,110,000 (+350,000) (yes Alien sold over 2 million copies!)
  • Football Manager 2015 - 810,000 (+150,000)
  • Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric + Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal - 620,000 (+130,000)
  • Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho - 380,000 (New)
  • Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold - 280,000

Note: I do not know if this includes digital sales or the figures from the last report.

So... In total...

Alien sold 2.36 million.

Football manager sold 960,000 

Yazuka 0 sold 380,000

Persona 4 Ultra suplex sold 280,000

Rise of lyric is where it gets hard to define since they combined both the 3DS and Wii U sales... but as a brand it sold 750,000 units. 

Those original figures do include the previous report figures, so ROL did only sell 620,000

Also, the data shows us that Sega intends to release 20 overseas titles in the next year... however they say that every year and a lot of stuff never does come out. 

Whilst Alien seems impressive, remember it was released cross gen on all systems including PC, suddenly that figure looks less impressive, but as a brand it's Sega's best selling title for years.

Hmm, that does give me some optimism that they are apparently looking to INCREASE the number of titles released.

That they show such a huge drop in expected sales, particularly those overseas, however, inclines me to think they probably aren't releasing a console Sonic game after all this year.

Combined, Boom has sold 620k. The goal for just Shattered Crystal by November is 1.2m (originally double that).

Yep, it's an unmitigated disaster. But that's nothing we didn't already know.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, the data shows us that Sega intends to release 20 overseas titles in the next year... however they say that every year and a lot of stuff never does come out. 

I always wait for the annual reports for the status of the company, much nicer to look at and a clearer state of their plans.

SKU stands for stock keeping unit and means the unique number within a catalog.

My presumption would be the reason the number of SKUs and number of games are different is because of release across different platforms for the same game.

Basically, game X can have SKU A for PS4, but SKU B for XBO.

Dayum Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal were major bombs from the looks of it. No chance of a sequel now, I'll be shocked if there is!

Impressive sales for Alien: Isolation though.

Assuming Nintendo footed a lot of the bill for the games, they probably managed to at least break even on them.

Cheap cash-ins are so commonplace at this point I'm fully expecting a sequel.

Plus even if Sega did pay for it themselves, they clearly didn't spend too terribly much on it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Such a shame about the sales figures for Sonic Boom....

...a game that bad should not sell nearly as many copies as that.

Alien Isloation did pretty decently though, which is a good thing. I still haven't picked up the game yet, I might have to at some point. Maybe I'll check GAME while I'm in the UK this week.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't look it up now, but didn't Lost World sell about that much thereabouts? That would probably just tell SEGA that Nintendo exclusives are a poor way to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just imagining a SEGA and Nintendo executive having a meeting post-Rise of Lyric.

"So. Want to renew this deal again? Paying the bill for everything included?" *trollface*

And Nintendo's just all:

MiBmlj4.jpg

The fact the game was released at all shows how little the final product's quality is actually considered, so so long as they can charge money on the basis of being exclusive, they're golden.

...of course, every bad game devalues the price tag they could ask for to make their games exclusive...

Always think through business decisions!

Whilst Alien seems impressive, remember it was released cross gen on all systems including PC, suddenly that figure looks less impressive, but as a brand it's Sega's best selling title for years.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe Hoggy said that's around the same level of cash the mainstream Sega Sonic games get.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Sonic Boom's sales still should had been lower than what they're currently standing at. I'm disappointed if that 620K sales number is indeed what RoL alone has sold, because that's slightly above the 600K sales forecast the game was originally supposed to hit last year.

I'm pretty sure that's RoL and SC sales combined, not just RoL's sales.

Whilst sonic boom isn't the worst game of all time I'm kinda glad it failed, it shows sega that you can't just put out something boring and uninspired then just slap Sonic's face on it and expect it to sell. 

My apologies. I am pretty sure someone said something along the lines of that either here or at Retro, though.

I think it was one of the Retro admins who said it, but I think it was slightly less or quite a bit less than a normal Sonic game.

I've only ever commented on the $20 million dollar figure being the budget for the game and not split over the different projects.

Eh, I'd still consider those sales impressive considering the last Alien game Sega released to the market was Colonial Marines. That game could had easily put the Alien game series in its grave.

Sega is still likely to disagree.

《Consumer Business》

In the consumer business, the Group launched titles such as “Alien: Isolation” and “Ryu ga Gotoku 0: Chikai no

Basho” in the packaged game software field. Although a year-on-year increase in total volume of packaged

software sales of 12,300 thousand copies, which includes 4,950 thousand copies in the U.S., 5,200 thousand

copies in Europe, and 2,140 thousand copies in Japan, performance in the field was weak due to the harsh

market environment.

It's been known for a while that they expected much more out of Isolation.

Sega is still likely to disagree.

It's been known for a while that they expected much more out of Isolation.

In October they expected 2 million.

Sega has been saying that packaged sales are weak for years, but that hasn't stopped them for making more packaged games either way.

Given how the Wii U could use almost any sort of third-party support regardless, I bet Nintendo wouldn't be too opposed on renewing the deal or striking another deal with Sega...but I'm sure Nintendo would assume greater creative control over the games in question to ensure that future Nintendo-exclusive Sega game would meet their standards of quality assurance. That or Sega would have take up the lion's share of bills in case another slew of Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games sell below expectations. Then it would be up to Sega to decide on whether renewing or making another contract with them with one or both conditions in mind would be worth their resources.

A large part of me thinks that's precisely what went wrong with this project. The evidence seems to be there that a good deal of the people working on Boom knew what they were doing, they just didn't have control of the schedule and that ultimately is what did the project in.

I'd like to see a game that SEGA licenses out to someone else; while SEGA hired a contractor here, they were still ultimately the boss, regardless of if Nintendo footed some of the bill or not. I'd like to see a licensed game with other than creative oversight, it has zero control. It doesn't set the deadline, it doesn't set the budget, and overall the people working on the project are overseen by whoever the company with the license is.

Basically I want to see a non-SEGA company make a Sonic game, one where SEGA isn't looming over the project and where it isn't able to dictate all the specifics. Can you imagine if Nintendo or Sony, in exchange for exclusivity, had one of their teams make a Sonic game and were free to work on it until it was right, not concerning themselves with SEGA's Christmas fetishism?

There's of course the problem of paying for it - having SEGA foot some of the bill gives them extra say, since it's now an investment - but I think the idea has merit. I've concluded that SEGA corporate and whoever's making the actual games are very out of touch with each other.

A large part of me thinks that's precisely what went wrong with this project. The evidence seems to be there that a good deal of the people working on Boom knew what they were doing, they just didn't have control of the schedule and that ultimately is what did the project in.I'd like to see a game that SEGA licenses out to someone else; while SEGA hired a contractor here, they were still ultimately the boss, regardless of if Nintendo footed some of the bill or not. I'd like to see a licensed game with other than creative oversight, it has zero control. It doesn't set the deadline, it doesn't set the budget, and overall the people working on the project are overseen by whoever the company with the license is.Basically I want to see a non-SEGA company make a Sonic game, one where SEGA isn't looming over the project and where it isn't able to dictate all the specifics. Can you imagine if Nintendo or Sony, in exchange for exclusivity, had one of their teams make a Sonic game and were free to work on it until it was right, not concerning themselves with SEGA's Christmas fetishism?There's of course the problem of paying for it - having SEGA foot some of the bill gives them extra say, since it's now an investment - but I think the idea has merit. I've concluded that SEGA corporate and whoever's making the actual games are very out of touch with each other.

No company with the right mind would do this. Even Nintendo or more specifically Miyamoto and in smash's case with Sakurai have their word at what gets in. Plus a project without a set deadline schedule or budget is just a disaster waiting to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not entirely sure that that means Sega paid for that whole thing out of their pocket, though. Everything BRB talked about prior to RoL being announced states that they were trying to fund their own game development, presumably (though I can't find any links that still work discussing it in detail) through some sort of secured loans dependent on signing a publishing deal. That would imply, I'd think, that BRB worked out something similar to what 3D Realms had for DNF with Take 2 (including the part where everything went to shit), where they footed most of the bill through their own financing source (in BRB's case some third party who'd only pay if BRB found a distributor) and Sega (and/or Nintendo) stepped in and polished off any extra money as needed to get something out of it (in this case, that probably meant a Wii U port that eventually became a Wii U exclusive). That might even be why Sega farmed out the development to an unknown third party developer instead of just handing the game off to one of its internal B-Team studios or Dimps or something.

And with how RoL plays into the Nintendo exclusivity deal (in development long before the deal was announced, then made part of it, but not published by Nintendo like the other two games?) and how the show plays into things (who paid for that, and how was that budget allocated, and how long ago was that planned?), I just don't think the 20 million figure means anything as straightforward as "Sega spent 20 million on that one game". I fully believe that the budget was that high, particularly with how long the game was in development, and I merely think that the house of cards came tumbling when the money ran out and BRB went asking for more; but I don't think the money all came from Sega to begin with and I think Sega had to get something out of making an unrelated Sonic game part of the 3 title exclusivity agreement long after the fact.

Based on Hogfather's editorials on the matter I think, again much like 3D Realms and DNF, this was BRB's attempt at a Citizen Kane game that they had been fiddling with long before it was actually a Sonic property with a publisher; and Sega giving them the go ahead to make it a Sonic property (and try to link it up with something Sega was working on themselves anyway) is what finally got it off the ground. And then Sega only stepped in to pick up the pieces and get it out the door after the development of the game collapsed on itself and BRB ran out of money.

• Thumbs Up 2

No company with the right mind would do this. Even Nintendo or more specifically Miyamoto and in smash's case with Sakurai have their word at what gets in. Plus a project without a set deadline schedule or budget is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I didn't say that it wouldn't have a set budget or schedule.

Just that SEGA would be at arm's length. It doesn't get to say "it HAS to be done by November of this year" anymore.

Or in essence, SEGA would continue making their games, while another company would take its time making a Sonic game with a lot more autonomy than a simple contracted studio.

I *think* Pocket Adventure probably fit the bill for that. Or at least as close as Sega ever came.