Awoo.

Sega: 46 F2P Mobile & PC games for 2015-2016

Badnik Mechanic

More news from the financial reports coming out today.

Sega have announced their plans to make and release 46 new free to play mobile and PC games during release period 2015-2016

<Entertainment Contents Business>

With regard to the Entertainment Contents Business which is a short to medium-term growth area, the Group positions the field of digital game software for smartphones and online PC games as the center of growth and will promptly shift management resources from fields such as packaged game software and amusement machine. In the field of digital game software in which market growth is expected to continue, the Group will launch multiple new titles such as “Hortensia SAGA,” “MONSTER GEAR” and “CHAOS DRAGON” in addition to existing mainstay titles such as “PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2,” “CHAIN CHRONICLE – Kizuna no Shintairiku” and “Puyopuyo!! Quest” and plans for further profit growth as the Group did in the previous fiscal year.

In the fiscal year ending March 31, 2016, the number of newly launched titles distributed domestically in the field of digital game software is planned to be 47 (including 1 Pay-to-play type and 46 Free-to-play types).

In the packaged game software field, the Group is working on rationalization mainly in overseas and will build a structure in which revenue can be created with stability. In the fiscal year ending March 31, 2016, the Group will launch new titles mainly for the Group’s mainstay IP including “Persona5” which will be the latest title from the Persona series boasting over 6 million total copies sold along with implementing transitions of IP for packaged games such as “Total War” series into digital games mainly in overseas.

In the amusement machine field, the Group will launch new titles for a wide variety of users and markets

including new titles for core game users such as “Kancolle Arcade,” “NEW MUSHIKING: The King of Beetles” which is the next-generation machine of “MUSHIKING: The King of Beetles,” a pioneer in the kids’ card game genre and “Nailpuri,” the world’s first nail sticker printer where you can make your own original nail stickers.

With regard to the amusement center operations field, the Group will endeavor to strengthen operation of

existing game arcades and develop new businesses categories besides game arcades, of which the forerunner is the buffet dining “KidsBee Kohoku-Minamo” (Yokohama, Kanagawa) which opened in April 2015, where three generations of families can enjoy. In addition, the Group will carry out rationalization in the animation film and toy fields along with development focusing on standard and mainstay products and services to improve profitability.

Don't worry. I'm sure 90% of those will be entirely consisted of freemium Temple Run clones.

46 MOBILE TITLES?!?

HOLY SHIT! Is SEGA's current state really that bad that they have to release that amount of mobile titles?

• Thumbs Up 1

46 MOBILE TITLES?!?

HOLY SHIT! Is SEGA's current state really that bad that they have to release that amount of mobile titles?

Just as long as the f2p games are well designed and fun and not more of the slog of exploitative fee to pay games that the market is flooded with

Simple. You take Temple Run. And you copy and paste it into 46 different games while changing the textures.

Basically... it Sega do actually go ahead with this many, it sounds like Sega is treating these mobile titles like wet tea bags being thrown to a wall.

The ones which stick are hits and will get endless support/sequels. 

The ones which drop off and bomb will be abandoned.

That's a loooot of mobile games. o__o And I'm pretty sure the majority of them will be really bad F2P games. Great..

Basically... it Sega do actually go ahead with this many, it sounds like Sega is treating these mobile titles like wet tea bags being thrown to a wall.

The ones which stick are hits and will get endless support/sequels. 

The ones which drop off and bomb will be abandoned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when this...

...used to mean something? Because it doesn't anymore, not to me. :(

Seriously though, FORTY SIX mobile titles? I know mobile games aren't exactly expensive or difficult to churn out but Christ that is a lot. Did I mention how terrible it makes them look? Not even EA, who are allegedly evil, pump out this many mobile titles, and they are much bigger than SEGA are.

Also, I wonder how many of these are Sonic games, and how many of these Sonic games are Sonic Boom games.

• Thumbs Up 6

Remember when this...

...used to mean something? Because it doesn't anymore, not to me. :(

Seriously though, FORTY SIX mobile titles? I know mobile games aren't exactly expensive or difficult to churn out but Christ that is a lot. Did I mention how terrible it makes them look? Not even EA, who are allegedly evil, pump out this many mobile titles, and they are much bigger than SEGA are.

Also, I wonder how many of these are Sonic games, and how many of these Sonic games are Sonic Boom games.

But it's too hard to make a Sonic game for PC. -_-

I think freemium games (especially in this amount!!!) will be just trash. They should deal more with their big (and quite going-down!) franchises, just like as Sonic.

they also said that they released 117 games the last fiscal year.

Looking at GameFAQS I can only count 10 at the most...maybe this is SKU's? Like for iOS, Android etc.?

Officially Sega has said that they published about 80 games on smart devices (this was earlier this year)

Anywho we will only see the games that really print money in Japan.

47 digital titles? I am not aware of how many games big companies normally release by years time span but 46 free-to-play? Wonder how many of them will be pay-to-win? I bet that many.

At least one of them seems fun, Sonic Runners (when they are going to release that? Version 1.0.0 means that product is really, soft release is for betatesting)

But no info about physical media. Well, I myself expect to have Sonic game in 2016.

I missed this bit....

(including 1 Pay-to-play type and 46 Free-to-play types).

Anyone wanna take bets on what it'll be?

SONIC 3 REMAS-*bricked*

It's probably a remaster of some description, weren't Taxman and Stealth working on another SEGA remaster?

I missed this bit....

Anyone wanna take bets on what it'll be?

As far as I'm aware, Taxman and Stealth were working on projects unrelated to SEGA now.

Stealth's working, amongst other things, on Bonerattle, a 2d platformer reminescent of Dynamite Headdy, while Taxman's working on a 3d engine for a game that'll aim at reviving PSX-era platformers (to contrast with the collectathon revival).

As far as we know, neither's working on any new remaster (or with SEGA, even), or is working with one another.