Awoo.

I think Sonic and the Black Knight is a great display of Sonic's personality.

DC111

WARNING: CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS, particularly the last paragraph. (Easier to just put the warning here than to go through half of the topic and put spoiler tags over it.)

I actually started writing this topic down on a piece of paper as I was listening to 'Live Life' on SatBK at 4 in the morning Sunday, 'cause I didn't have a computer available to me at the time. Anyway...

Although the game was fairly short and fairly easy (in my opinion, anyway), it still makes my Top 5 Sonic games, particularly for one reason: I’m one of those people who plays Sonic games for the stories and the characters, and in that department, I think Sonic Team did a phenomenal job.

To summarize the basics, we can all probably agree that Sonic is (over)confident, determined, impatient, and sometimes cocky, right? And he’s also quite caring, always helping others and all that. Also, something I’ve noticed that isn’t written in any official material is that he’s very forgiving. He doesn’t hold any grudges against Shadow or Knuckles or Blaze, despite the fact that he used to be enemies with them… or even Shahra, when she betrayed him.

Having said all that… while I was playing SatBK, I found myself smiling and nodding very often, many times without thinking about it. In the game, Sonic is just so… well, Sonic, in every aspect. He lived up to every official description ever written for his personality.

Just to emphasize, some of those moments were:

-Sonic’s snappiness with Caliburn. It shows that he does have an impatient side, something that we don’t always see in the more recent games. (“It’s your fault! You’re a sad excuse for a teacher!”)

-The scene with the crying kid. Sonic is running out of time and knows it, yet he doesn’t deny someone in need, no matter what the consequences would have been.

-“Good thing this water is shallow!” I believe he says this in the last level before the FIRST set of credits. So he IS aquaphobic (didn’t know before, ‘cause while it’s been mentioned that Sonic can’t swim, I’ve never picked up any hints that he’s actually AFRAID of water). Also, the chilidogs at the beginning. About time, Sonic Team! ^_^

-A cliché but very true statement that I can’t picture coming from the mouth of any character except Sonic: “That’s why we have to live life to the fullest in the time we have. At least, that’s what I figure.”

Every time, I'd find myself thinking, “Wow, this feels like a Sonic game.” And it only shined through more as the game went on. I don't think I'm the only one who was extremely satisfied with the last level (and the associated cut scenes). I loved the scene right before the final battle – it just reveals so much about Sonic’s character. When Merlina (The Dark Queen) was all set to carry out her plans, and Sonic tries to stop her, she smacks him back down six separate times, sending him flying back to the ground. Six times, Sonic gets back up – and despite warnings from the Knights of the Round Table, he continues to do what Sonic would do – fights. And this sentence: “It was never about chivalry for me.” lets everybody know that Sonic doesn’t do what he does for the sake of proving anything. He does it because – in his words – “I’ve just gotta do what I’ve gotta do, that’s all!” Not only that; it shows that he doesn’t fight evil and oppression just because he knows he can win. Even when he’s at too much of a disadvantage to be cocky, and even when there’s very little hope left, he doesn’t stop. And mind you, Sonic isn’t in that position a hell of a lot – most of the time he’s winning and he knows it. So I liked seeing the other side.

Care to discuss?

(Unrelated) Also, this:

At 3:15, Sonic makes a reference to SA2. Ownage.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've said time and time again that they are NAILING Sonic's character lately. From what i've seen of SatBK, they're keeping it up marvellously.

I loved a little part in a level (Forgot precisely which one) where Sonic's passing a chasm and says;

"If I drop you, i'm not going back to pick you up"

And Caliburn responds in a somewhat panicked tone;

"You better not drop me!" (Or something like that)

:lol:

He toys playfully with people/things but definately isn't spiteful or mean. This is where Chronicles went wrong in certain dialogue choices. I don't mean that Sonic shouldn't be snarky because his occasional short-temperedness does justify this but playfully snarky/teasing Sonic is more charismatic to me personally.

What I also like about SatBK is that it seems to have expanded on a trait only seemingly introduced in Unleashed; His apparent immense liking for food/eating. I just loved it when he went out of his way to grab his beloved Chili Dogs when they fell out of the sky with him. He even sighs in relief/exasperation when he slides on his front to grab the second dog in the nick of time. On top of that, it's pleasure before business because he scoffs one in a very short amount of time before destroying the enemies. It was hilarious when he actually mourns the loss of his second as Merlina teleports both of them away :lol: I always thought of Sonic as being one who jests in the face of seriousness and that moment was probably the best of any of these kind of moments.

Listening to the final boss, it seems that you really start to hear more directly Sonic's personal beliefs in things. You hear hints at his outlook on life before this game but he never really speaks it. Lines such as;

Dark Queen: Why can you not understand how magnificent an everlasting kingdom would be?

Excalibur-Sonic: What I can't understand is how you can call such a boring-sounding place 'magnificent'

And

Dark Queen: Your selfishness is going to be the end of it all. Do you not understand?

Excalibur-Sonic: I already told you. I don't mind being the bad guy every once in a while

And probably the best;

Dark Queen: This story and the world it created will come to an end. Is that what you wish?

Excalibur-Sonic: Nah, it's not gonna end. My stories only end when I stop running.

• Thumbs Up 1

<3 He makes a reference to SatSR many times too, including in the first stage of the last story:

"Who was it that kept calling me a rat?" or something like that. xP

But yes! I totally agree, they're pwning with Sonic's personality lately, and I totally love it <3 They should keep the writers they have now, for this game and Unleashed, for like, ever. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

He was like this in Sonic Wildfire, as well. Particularly the taunts he did during the boss battles. "What's the matter, Erazor? You don't look so good!"

I totally agree! Just because Sonic is in a dark atmosphere, he shouldn't become dark himself.

What I also like about SatBK is that it seems to have expanded on a trait only seemingly introduced in Unleashed; His apparent immense liking for food/eating. I just loved it when he went out of his way to grab his beloved Chili Dogs when they fell out of the sky with him. He even sighs in relief/exasperation when he slides on his front to grab the second dog in the nick of time. On top of that, it's pleasure before business because he scoffs one in a very short amount of time before destroying the enemies. It was hilarious when he actually mourns the loss of his second as Merlina teleports both of them away :lol: I always thought of Sonic as being one who jests in the face of seriousness and that moment was probably the best of any of these kind of moments.

Yes, that too! Though, now that I think about it, it makes sense that he likes to eat - he needs all that energy with all the running around he does. Oh, and I liked another part in that particular scene: when he throws the chili dog up in the air, THEN destroys the enemies, THEN catches it. Very cocky and Sonic-y.

Wait - he lost his second chili dog? Heh, didn't catch that. I'll have to watch it again.

Excalibur-Sonic: I already told you. I don't mind being the bad guy every once in a while

I like

the bad guy comment

a lot. Shows that Sonic's ready to do what he knows he has to do, no matter if others see him as being bad or selfish. He doesn't care what other people think.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, that too! Though, now that I think about it, it makes sense that he likes to eat - he needs all that energy with all the running around he does. Oh, and I liked another part in that particular scene: when he throws the chili dog up in the air, THEN destroys the enemies, THEN catches it. Very cocky and Sonic-y.

Wait - he lost his second chili dog? Heh, didn't catch that. I'll have to watch it again.

That was brilliant too, the part where he throws it in the air then catches it. Merlina's look of awe/shock was brilliant, as was the camera panning out super-fast to show Sonic looking as if destroying monsters after being dumped into a different world is an everyday occurence. But the cherry on the cake was when he was facing Arthur and kept twirling the 'dog in his hand like an expert baton thrower. Completely non-plussed.

He does lament the loss of his second chili dog because he says "Nooooooo!" melodramatically when he's being teleported away whilst reaching out for it with a look of shock on his face.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic eats his Chilidog in three bites.

Eggman eats him sammich in three bites.

They both have amazing skills with chewing and or have large throats. Or, uh, I guess Sonic dosen't have a throat really...

Anyways, yeah, the whole game was very in-charecter. Shadow/Lancelot was bad ass, Blaze/Percival was silent, reserved, yet strong and confident, and Knuckles/Gaiwan showed how though he is by trying to kill himself without a second thought when he failed.

Though Caliburn really pissed me off for some reason. :\

That was brilliant too, the part where he throws it in the air then catches it. Merlina's look of awe/shock was brilliant, as was the camera panning out super-fast to show Sonic looking as if destroying monsters after being dumped into a different world is an everyday occurence. But the cherry on the cake was when he was facing Arthur and kept twirling the 'dog in his hand like an expert baton thrower. Completely non-plussed.

Next thing you know, he'll be twirling it like Revolver Ocelot spins his guns. :lol:

I agree with the original poster. Black Knight did a great job with portraying Sonic's personality! If Sonic showed that personality in Unleashed, it'd be pure pwnage for sure!

Or is that just me?

Also,

Knuckles/Gaiwan showed how though he is by trying to kill himself without a second thought when he failed.

Now, before I say this, I know that Knuckles, in storybook form or not, is not emo. He is a loner and tough guy, but he was never acting melodramatic as I remember about even when he failed to protect the Master Emerald!

But considering that scene Nathan Speed was mentioning, I would like to say...

And they say Shadow the Hedgehog is emo! (I personally don't think that Shadow is emo as well)

He does lament the loss of his second chili dog because he says "Nooooooo!" melodramatically when he's being teleported away whilst reaching out for it with a look of shock on his face.

Hah, sweet. I see what you're talking about now.

Hm, you know what else I noticed? Is it just me, or does Sonic seem to get more mature himself as the games continue? I mean, back in the Sonic Adventure era, we never heard quotes with a mature undertone such as "That's why you have to live life to the fullest in the time you have," or "It was never about chivalry for me..."

I agree with the original poster. Black Knight did a great job with portraying Sonic's personality! If Sonic showed that personality in Unleashed, it'd be pure pwnage for sure!

Or is that just me?

I thought Sonic's character was done well in Unleashed, too. But it doesn't top SatBK, or Secret Rings for that matter. Secret Rings did a great job, too, now that I think about it.

Edit: whoops, double post. Wasn't thinking; I meant to combine it with previous post. Sorry 'bout that.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hah, sweet. I see what you're talking about now.

Hm, you know what else I noticed? Is it just me, or does Sonic seem to get more mature himself as the games continue? I mean, back in the Sonic Adventure era, we never heard quotes with a mature undertone such as "That's why you have to live life to the fullest in the time you have," or "It was never about chivalry for me..."

I've noticed this too. It feels like some great character development in evolving from the character derailment that has taken place in the past. It feels like Sonic has a quite plain variety of wisdom - He questions at first if what he mentions is right ("Isn't there more to being a knight than just serving a king?") and then says that people do have to appreciate the time they have, which is undeniably true and a great bit of wisdom.

Of course, i'm only saying this from the glimpses i've seen of SatBK because I don't get the game until this friday.

I think what makes Sonic so interesting is that even though he seems to be maturing and getting very good character development, he's still not 'perfect'. No, let me rephrase that. He shouldn't be 'perfect' because no one is perfect and it makes him out to be a Marty Stu if he were. What I mean is, he can still be used as comic relief and not everyone loves or reveres him in the games.

Now, before I say this, I know that Knuckles, in storybook form or not, is not emo. He is a loner and tough guy, but he was never acting melodramatic as I remember about even when he failed to protect the Master Emerald!

Except we're talking about Gawain(and Dan Green) in this case. Gawain is a knight of the round table. He shares Knuckles' dedication to his duty enhanced by the whole knight thing. So, naturally when he loses "only death can remove the stain upon my(his) honor". Like with the samurai.

Secondly, Dan Green is a very overly dramatic person. Therefore, that scene is awesome.

But as for the actual topic, yeah Sonic is very Sonical in this game.

Ever since Secret Rings, I think Sonic has been portrayed pretty much perfectly. In fact, I think character development has often been a high throughout the series for most of the characters. But what I really like about BK's development on Sonic is that not only does it provide greater insight on Sonic's personality, but it also points out that as with any great hero he has flaws. When I first heard the song "It Doesn't Matter," I didn't entirely understand how it fit Sonic. I've always viewed him as a benevolent figure with a strong sense of good and identity, not someone who didn't really care about right and wrong, but this game showed me otherwise.

Sonic is far from being a villain, but his grasp of the concepts of good and evil are no tighter than Eggman's; their differences lie on another spectrum entirely: freedom versus suppression. Sonic lives life as life should be lived. He cares about nothing other than that he and anyone else has the right to do so.

I agree with everything here, but I have to say...

For some reason, watching Sonic eat made me want to throw up almost instantly. I have no idea why, but every time I see that scene, the gag reflex pokes me a little.

>.>0 I'm not sure if adding that in was a good idea or bad- I know a lot of people enjoy it though. It's not really a downer thing, it's just... That's how I ended up reacting to it. ._. I feel rather awkward for it too.

Edit: And I just remembered, he eats in the second episode of Sonic X, and that didn't bother me. Maybe it's just the 3d-ness, or maybe I just found the way they made the chilidog(s)+how Sonic was animated while eating it to be gross. -shrug-

-One final thing: Did anyone else notice

how Golden Knight Sonic's cape seemed to be coming out of his butt? ._.?

Edited by YumeTakato

For some reason, watching Sonic eat made me want to throw up almost instantly. I have no idea why, but every time I see that scene, the gag reflex pokes me a little.

Admittedly, he seemed to down it in an odd fashion. He didn't even seem to chew it.

Though the gameplay does look a bit bland IMO(I could only watch a playthrough since I dont have a Wii) I do agree that this is one of the best written stories in the series. Sonic shows nearly every aspect of his character without without ruining others'. Everyone was well represented and it had the best twist I've ever seen in a Sonic game.

The writers for Black Knight absolutely nailed his personality in this game, I agree. Could Sonic Team - gasp! - finally be interested in Sonic more?

Ever since Secret Rings, I think Sonic has been portrayed pretty much perfectly. In fact, I think character development has often been a high throughout the series for most of the characters. But what I really like about BK's development on Sonic is that not only does it provide greater insight on Sonic's personality, but it also points out that as with any great hero he has flaws. When I first heard the song "It Doesn't Matter," I didn't entirely understand how it fit Sonic. I've always viewed him as a benevolent figure with a strong sense of good and identity, not someone who didn't really care about right and wrong, but this game showed me otherwise.

Sonic is far from being a villain, but his grasp of the concepts of good and evil are no tighter than Eggman's; their differences lie on another spectrum entirely: freedom versus suppression. Sonic lives life as life should be lived. He cares about nothing other than that he and anyone else has the right to do so.

You brought up a great point that I'd never realized before. I never noticed the "It Doesn't Matter" connection... it fits better with Sonic in this game than in the Sonic Adventures, in my opinion.

I also like that part in bold up there. It makes perfect sense, when you think about it. He realizes how important freedom is to HIM, and so he wants to allow everybody else to have those same opportunities. He's selfish and selfless (though probably more of the latter, if you ask me).

But that's how it SHOULD be, right? I think I LIKE that he's not Mr. Goody-two-shoes. It makes him seem less like a 'superhero' and more realistic. Not necessarily more NORMAL - Sonic has never seemed normal to me, he's just got too many admirable traits for that - but more realistic.

Edit: just found this. It's a section of Sonic's description from the ShTH manual. The world's fastest hedgehog whose supersonic speed is second to none. He strives to live according to his own rules rather than for the sake of heroism or duty.

Wow, it's been there all along, huh? Funny - now is the first time that has made real sense. They really hit the nail on the head with SatBK.

Edited by DC111

"Cool, it'll be like Halloween every day!"

facepalm.jpeg

Yeah that comment made me feel a little weird. Like something Charmy would say.

I want to make an agreement that some of the things he says are funny and really spot-on but others make him sound like a big dork. The only thing that saves him is Griffith makes him sound like he's 30. The voice does not match the things that Sonic says, and frankly if White was still doing his voice in him game, I'd feel like this was the true blue Sonic I know and love.

One part that made me think, was the last true ending of the game where he's telling Amy what happened (and she gets mad that he's late). He sounds like he's geeking out like a fan-boy. "I was King Arthur! Wow!"

Though Sonic makes a great trickster, his meanness isn't called for. Don't think I could ever take hearing Sonic say he'd want to be a bad guy, when the whole point of Shadows game was the make the two of their fighting styles different. Still for the type of guy he is, I could assume that he couldn't think of a better way of telling her what she's doing isn't the way the story ends in his book.

Frankly, I, too, really like how Sonic's been portrayed in the more recent games, and the other characters. They're doing much better on that, and the gameplay is coming back, too. Still not the best, but Sonic Unleashed was far better than the past few installments from what I've heard, and Secret Rings wasn't too bad, either. Black Knight has the awkward sword gameplay, but its not fully bad; not any better or worse than Secret Rings (give or take a few opinions).

Oh yes... I really am starting to get Sonic's personality down more, too, especially with It Doesn't Matter. Fits perfectly for him, and that's just how he's like. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, he just sees things from his point of view and tries to correct things that he feels are threatening to other people's lives (whether such actions would actually take the lives or not are irrelevant; a life can be destroyed without actually being "taken").

SEGA seems to be getting a lot better with the stories now... Sonic's personality is emphasized, and (off-topic) the plot twist was unexpected.

So yeah, Sonic's personality is really getting a chance to shine.