Awoo.

A Historical game about the Rise of Islam

Aristotle

Here's a game idea I have that I think would be pretty cool: a Historical Game about the Rise of Islam.

It would be really cool to see that time period brought to life, with all the beautiful architecture, and it would certainly be a nice change of scenery from all the westernised (mostly American) modern, gritty motifs we see in games today!

We have quite a few games that have taken this idea on in the Strategy space, such as Medieval 2: Total War and Crusader Kings 2, but I think an Action/Adventure game set in the Medieval Arabic World would be really cool! We've seen the Historical World take popularity with the Assassins Creed games, so it's certainly commercially viable, which I think would be the biggest challenge of launching a game like this in the West. 

What do you guys think :)

You Muslim?

I'd play it, yeah. I'm not Muslim anymore but I have a lot of pride in my heritage and I got a real kick out of playing as a Syrian assassin, climbing mosques in Damascus. The Arabs have always had beautiful architecture and a very rich culture that would be fascinating to explore in a AAA game.

• Thumbs Up 1

You Muslim?

I'd play it, yeah. I'm not Muslim anymore but I have a lot of pride in my heritage and I got a real kick out of playing as a Syrian assassin, climbing mosques in Damascus. The Arabs have always had beautiful architecture and a very rich culture that would be fascinating to explore in a AAA game.

I'm not Muslim, but I'm very interested in Eastern History, from Parthia all the way to Arabia :) .

I agree, it would be a great change of scenery and think of all the awesome themes and motifs you could introduce! Certainly beats going to a near-future New York for the millionth time.

I agree. Honestly I'm not sure why we don't have more historical fiction games - it's pretty much the perfect medium for that sort of thing and stuff like Gladiator and Assassin's Crees prove its really popular with the mainstream when done right.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally would not play it, but it is a good idea. I'd rather play one with accurate portrayals of polytheistic religions.

I personally would not play it, but it is a good idea. I'd rather play one with accurate portrayals of polytheistic religions.

Whilst I agree that this would be cool too, there are already quite a lot of games that touch on Roman, Greek, Norse and Chinese religion, the one polytheism that's not touched on as much is Hinduism and perhaps Shintoism. 

In comparison, Islam and the Arabic world hasn't been touched on as much, aside from niche strategy games as I've listed above.

A better path would be getting into 1001 /Arabian Nights or other folklore tales from islamic cultures, I feel. 

Adding a religious tone to me, would be kind of bland and preachy- how many bible game have you taken seriously, for example. BUT there are some great folk stores from that part of the world that would make a great fresh setting for videogames, as it's something that doesn't get touched upon in games very often if it all (like... AC1 and sonic and the secret rings?) 

A better path would be getting into 1001 /Arabian Nights

Sonic-and-the-Secret-Rings-304-6.jpg

I know my Arabian Knights!