Awoo.

Doom 4 (E3 reveal en route)

Carbo

I can't believe it's been a year since Doom was announced and the most we've seen of it publicly is three seconds of gameplay.

Whoever is in charge of marketing this game has succeeded in making me both incredibly annoyed and incredibly hyped beyond measure.

Also, for your consideration, here's the stuff that was trending during the closed doors single-player demo.

dLUicne.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Melee and finishing moves? Sounds like Bethesda's been watching Brutal Doom videos.

Funnily enough I was actually playing Doom II mods just earlier today so count me down in the mood for seeing this all in action.

Colored keys and doors?  Didn't expect them to bring those back, since the FPS genre seemed to have abandoned that concept on a doorstep years ago, but I for one am glad to see it return.  Really puts more exploration into the experience.

Anyways, I think I've screamed in excitement about this game in like 3 different topics already so I guess the only thing left to do is wait for the gameplay reveal.

also yay mancubus

Melee and finishing moves? Sounds like Bethesda's been watching Brutal Doom videos.

Funnily enough I was actually playing Doom II mods just earlier today so count me down in the mood for seeing this all in action.

God, yes. Brutal Doom. Can't wait for v20 to hit, especially with the free WAD.

I love the classic Doom games, but I don't know if I'd be able to stomach the amount of gore this game is reported to be bringing to the table, lol.

Still, I'll wish it the best, for old time's sake.

Brutal Doom is fucking incredible, so if this winds up anything like it, I'm gonna love it.

Either way, hyped. 

Speaking of Brutal Doom, the newest version is coming soon.

To be honest, it's gonna be pretty tough for a new Doom game to match the fun insanity of Brutal Doom.

Dev says Jun 5th, and it's shipping with a free .WAD, which I think will make Brutal Doom all the more appealing.

1258228850253064038.gif

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8622341/doom-4-canceled-footage

As is common knowledge, the current Doom game being produced is completely different from the Doom 4 that was announced originally.  The early version of Doom 4 was cancelled because the devs were extremely unhappy with it and figured the fans would be too.  

Some folks finally dug up what appears to be trailer footage for the scrapped Doom 4 and ... yeah, it's pretty easy to see why it was scrapped.  Looks even less like Doom than Doom 3 did.

Jesus, that looks more like Quake IV then any Doom game, and Q4 was dull even by Quake standards. No wonder the reaction to it was lukewarm.

I'd actually say this would be a pretty effective means of focus testing if it weren't so goddamned expensive - it worked, but it means essentially throwing an entire game's work out and starting from scratch. =\

Controversial opinion incoming, I liked Doom 3. But yeah, it was a pretty damn far departure from the high-adrenaline butt-metal-roaring mania that made Doom special. Then again, so was Doom64.

Speaking of: butt-metal. Doom 4 needs all the butt-metal.

Doom 3 was not a proper successor to the classics, but in its own right it's still pretty good.  Way too dark at times and the space station got really samey to look at for such a long time, but aside from that it was fairly fun and especially atmospheric once you finally get to Hell.

As for music, I'm hoping the new game has a mix along the lines of the first game - about half creepy atomspheric tunes and half crazy metal.

Machine Games is making this, right? Because if they are, my god I am hyped as hell (heh)! I mean, if they aren't, I still am hyped, but The New Order was such an amazing title and I loved how open it was compared to every other cookie cutter shooter along with its outstanding gunplay. It sounds like D4 is expanding on everything TNO showed what Machine Games is capable of, and I couldn't be more excited.

Machine Games is making this, right? Because if they are, my god I am hyped as hell (heh)! I mean, if they aren't, I still am hyped, but The New Order was such an amazing title and I loved how open it was compared to every other cookie cutter shooter along with its outstanding gunplay. It sounds like D4 is expanding on everything TNO showed what Machine Games is capable of, and I couldn't be more excited.

It's being developed by id Software. MachineGames just came off of The Old Blood. Not as proven of a circumstance but I assume that they've taken notes, and with id Tech 6 and all I hope that Doom 4 will do to The New Order what the original Doom did to Wolfenstein 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9ICvT6rwc

Pretty much the ideal Doom experience.

Doom:One

Brutal Doom V20

High Resolution Textures

Doom Metal Volume 4.0

Ultimate Doom Visor

• Thumbs Up 1