Awoo.

Street Fighter V (PS4/PC) | Sakura!!!!!!

#AR

Street_Fighter_V_box_artwork.png

Street Fighter V, the next entry in the long-running fighting game series that everyone likes to knock for its numerous revisions, is slated for release on the Playstation 4 and PC in early 2016. It utilizes the Unreal Engine 4

~WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR~

>CHARACTERS:

Inital gameplay revealed Ryu and Chun-Li, two of the series mainstays. Nothing too out of the ordinary here.

The first bombshell was dropped during EVO, after the grand finals for Ultra SF4...that bombshell? The return of a previously dead character. Guile's own mentor and the originator of the Sonic Boom, Charlie Nash.

Recently announced was series villain icon, M. Bison (or Vega if you're Japanese).

>AESTHETICS

The graphics are still in 3D, just like SF4, but the models this time are less cartoony/"ink-heavy" and more detailed. The stage backgrounds are definitely busier and several stages have destructible environments (for example, busting through the wall of a restaurant and taking the fight inside.)

>GAMEPLAY

Here's where we get down to the nitty-gritty.

First thing, the movement seems a lot more fluid than its predecessor, kind of striking a balance between SFIII: 3rd Strike and SFIV. Some things from SFIV still seem to be present, such as Focus Attacks and the Revenge/Ultra gauge. And an elemental(?) thing also comes into play. So far we've seen Chun-Li with what seems to be water and Ryu with electricity. Any other major technicals have yet to be revealed.

Annyways, that's about it.

Pre-orders come with Beta Access and stuff so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh. I'm surprised that there wasn't a thread about the game here already.

I guess I'm feeling sorta split about how slow the gameplay looks. On the one hand, the thought of a sluggish fighting game kinda annoys me (I like to mash buttons, I'll admit it!), but then on the other hand, I am getting old these days and my reflexes ain't what they used to be. So, y'know, the game being slow could help with being able to react to attacks against me in time.

SFV currently lacks any of the classic characters I absolutely love, such as Blanka, E. Honda, Zangief, Dhalsim, T. Hawk, and Guile. Charlie would be a good stand-in for Guile, except now he has some Decapre fighting style instead so that kinda rules him out. Here's hoping at least one of my old faves gets announced at E3!

I honestly hope they throw out as much of the low level system stuff from SF4 and start as fresh as possible. Get rid of focus, rewrite the rules for juggles/combo/link stuff. Move away from the SF4 meta as much as possible and give us a fresh feeling game.

I kind of want them to not lean so hard on the SF2 roster this time as well, although I feel that wouldn't be a popular move among many people. If this characters do come back, I hope they, like Bison looks to, play pretty differently from their past versions.

I'm really burned out on SF4, but am super confident they can make a great fighter. Really eager to see how this game pans out tbh

The only character I care about is Zangief, so it all depends on him coming back.

I mean, I'll still get the game, eventually, but Zangief is the only character I enjoy 100% to play as, and since Rainbow Mika or Q coming back is really unlikely, I hope the red cyclone doesn't sit this one out.

I'm not super familiar with USFIV but apparently in this trailer Bison was using new moves as well as some that appeared in Omega Mode in USFIV. If that's the case, I wonder if we'll see Ken launching fireballs with his feet. 

I'm not super familiar with USFIV but apparently in this trailer Bison was using new moves as well as some that appeared in Omega Mode in USFIV. If that's the case, I wonder if we'll see Ken launching fireballs with his feet. 

The Omega moves being there is pretty interesting, mode had some cool ideas but idk that anyone I know ever took it seriously.

Should we all start playing Omega to prep for SF5?

I'm absolutely terrible at Street Fighter. I have Super Street Fighter IV on the Xbox. I can't ever get the combos to work and I never remember the commands, so Seth always kills me and it's ANNOYING

I can't wait for this one! It looks really cool, I like the details. I just need to, like, git gud.

Gotta say, i'm really loving Bison's new look: very similar to the classic appearance yet with updated bits here and there.

Ehh... I'm really not sure WHAT it is but... Something about this just feels very... Bland... To me.

Maybe it's the removal of the artstyle that SF4 had and swapping it for a rather... Boring UI and style.

I kind of want them to not lean so hard on the SF2 roster this time as well

But that's the best and most iconic Street Fighter roster of all the classic games.

They should lean heavily on SF2 for all of their games, really.

But that's the best and most iconic Street Fighter roster of all the classic games.

They should lean heavily on SF2 for all of their games, really.

That's like making it so every Sonic game has a Green Hill Zone-esque level at the beginning. There's such a thing as wearing your appeal really thin. It's only a matter of time before people want to see something new or you run out of ways to make the same thing interesting.

Having a big retro cast for SFIV makes sense for that game because it was the big 'revival' game, and many of the characters were absent from SF3. SFIV was marketed as a return to form of sorts and the roster reflected that, but you can't make nostalgia your appeal like that, twice in a row and expect the same effect.

That's like making it so every Sonic game has a Green Hill Zone-esque level at the beginning.

Considering almost every Sonic game does have a Green Hill Zone-esque level, is it really an issue?

Considering almost every Sonic game does have a Green Hill Zone-esque level, is it really an issue?

People wasted not time in shitting on Lost World for it. But I guess it wasn't the best example. I used Sonic because I figured people here would more easily relate to it, but now I'm convinced they'll just get hung up on it. :V

If a character is really iconic and important, I think they should consider bringing them back. People like to see old characters they remember be playable in newer games. But there's a point of diminishing returns. People would be more excited about playing as Bison in this game if they hadn't already brought him back in 2008's SFIV. 

I wouldn't mind if they went the SFIII route again, but perhaps the dev team is a bit afraid to throw out most of the cast for new characters.

Fuck everything if Dudley doesn't come back, though. I'm a hypocrite.

Could you imagine how fucked Capcom would be if Ono left?

Would he become an Indie developer and start a kickstarter for a spiritual successor to Street Fighter. :P

Would he become an Indie developer and start a kickstarter for a spiritual successor to Street Fighter. :P

Maybe start a new studio then end up getting contracted to make SF for Capcom anyway ala DIMPS

Hm...Street Fighter 5 is coming already, I still need to play 4. The last I played was third strike so..time to rectify this!

Well, Ono's already teasing the next reveal (http://shoryuken.com/2015/05/21/ono-teases-next-street-fighter-v-character-reveal/) and it's apparently "someone we haven't seen in some time". Maybe another SF3 or forgotten Alpha character might be out in the woodwork? Makes sense since this game looks like it follows 3 in the timeline.

Calling it now: it's either Q, Alex or Rainbow Mika.

I really don't care about Alex (character-wise, but otherwise grapplers are my jam in fighting games) but Q or Rainbow Mika? Holy cannoli on a spaghetti stick, count me in!