Awoo.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (20th November 2015 / 3DS)

Junko

The Official English Site has been created for this game:

June_p04_02.jpg

Your adventure as a Pokémon begins when you realize you've become a Pokémon child. You and your partner quickly become pals, and your friendship will grow as you travel through various dungeons and around the world!

odayakamura_map_rgb_LG.png

Your home as a Pokémon is Serene Village, which is ordinarily a peaceful place. But you and your partner have a dream to see more of the world. Perhaps becoming members of the Pokémon Expedition Society will help you reach that goal. 

hawlucha.pngAugust_p09_01.jpg

Hawlucha runs a facility that helps you with the moves your Pokémon can know. It can help a Pokémon forget or remember moves they've known, learn new moves, or even switch its ability.

kecleon.pngAugust_p08_02.jpg

Visit Kecleon to buy and sell the many items you'll find when you explore a dungeon. Kecleon sells consumable items, as well as TMs and other important adventuring tools.

kanghaskhan.pngAugust_p09_03.jpg

Kangaskhan runs Café Connection, a place that you'll want to visit often. Sometimes when you stop in, Kangaskhan will give you rewards left by Pokémon for completing quests!

cofagrigis.pngAugust_p10_01.jpg

Take any Gold Bars you find to Cofagrigus, who will exchange them for all kinds of interesting items. Cofagrigus will also pay you for the Gold Bars you bring in. 

klefki.pngAugust_p09_06.jpg

If you're lucky enough to find Treasure Boxes deep inside a dungeon, bring them to Klefki to have them opened up…for a fee.

Looplet.pngEmera.png

You can give your Pokémon special items called looplets to hold. Looplets provide your Pokémon with particular bonuses. Then, you can attach emeras to looplets to provide additional effects to the looplets, making them even better! But note that the emeras you obtain in dungeons will disappear once you leave the dungeon. 

That bit of artwork with Hawlucha is pretty cute, and glad to see Kangaskhan returning after being replaced by some box (also glad to see Ken Sugimori doing the artwork again after Gates's 3D-like renders)

I can't wait for it's release here in the U.S., the mystery dungeon series is the only side series I like more than the main games

• 2 months later...

Game came out two days ago, and I'm having a blast.

It's been years since I played a Mystery Dungeon game, so it's great to jump back in.

So I hear that, unlike Gates To Infinity's localization omitting gender choices/pronouns entirely... This game only lets you pick your partner's gender, and your character is always male. Granted, it's a half-step forward, but what the shit, NoA.

Then again, since the EU version is coming much later and NoE usually does their own translations these days, I'm hoping they fix this little fuckup.

So I hear that, unlike Gates To Infinity's localization omitting gender choices/pronouns entirely... This game only lets you pick your partner's gender, and your character is always male. Granted, it's a half-step forward, but what the shit, NoA.

Then again, since the EU version is coming much later and NoE usually does their own translations these days, I'm hoping they fix this little fuckup.

Well, I mean I guess it makes sense if the Pikachu you can choose doesn't have the heart thing on its tail.

I just finished the game and honestly the end got pretty C R A Z Y

I don't think it tops Explorers but it's at LEAST on par with the Rescue Team games, which is still saying something.

• 1 month later...

I started playing it! I'm a Bulbasaur with a Tepig partner.

This game is... Childish, but not in a bad way. Feels almost nostalgic, somehow.

Makes me wonder how old your character was before being turned into a Pokemon, but I doubt that that'll be answered. (If it is, don't tell me.)

• 1 month later...

So I'm currently playing this very game and I think (?) I'm halfway in:

Spoiler

I arrived in Lively Town and officially became part of the Expedition Society, defeated Jirachi and just doing a couple of missions. Please tell me there more to the story beyond what I expected on the main menu without being too spoilery? Overall the tone of the game feels very Red/Blue Rescue Team ish in the simple the plot feels at first, with the difficulty of Time/Explorers/Sky and of course the mechanics and visual style of Gates of Infinity. So pretty much a mix of all the core series' pros and cons. The way to recruit Pokemon is pretty cool; I got access to Dragonite, Charizard and like so early. I also like the callbacks to previous entries, although all there is right now is the 'Hey (player)! I'm (so and so)! I'm part of/work with/used to run (whatever)'.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the main story, still reeling from the ending, the finale and ending is absolutely insane. Even the final boss feels unique, interesting and actually challenging compared to Infinity's. The last stretch of the main story definitely makes up for the awkward pacing of the first half of the game.

Oh, and this is the fourth time in a row these games have made me tear up from the ending. Why can't the main games have stories as good as this?!

• Thumbs Up 1