Awoo.

Sayaka Miki

Failinhearts

It's the return of the topic absolutely NO ONE asked for! You're welcome!

There are spoilers for Puella Magi Madoka Magica in this topic obviously, I'm saying this now so the entire topic won't be one gigantic spoiler tag.

Man, oh man, what can I say about Puella Magi Madoka Magica's Sayaka Miki? The one girl everyone but me hates.

7f91056910d71db28cae21f851ca470f13133380

A lot actually, that's why I made this topic.

As I watched this emotional roller coaster of a series, I instantly gravitated to this girl from the start. She's a tomboy, cheerful, and has a big sense of justice. Then her inevitable despair happened.

Then I realized that she was more like me than I ever thought.

People see Sayaka solely for her "foolish" love for Kyousuke Kamijou. A reason why she's hated so much is because people say she's a selfish b**** who goes crazy because a boy doesn't like her and that she made her wish to heal him so he could go out with her. Yes, that is something she does but I see more than that.

She didn't fully know she was kinda thinking about herself, she thought she was doing this for him and him alone. Along with her being able to fight evil on the side. She believed that she was a hero, worthy of Mami's approval. When Sayaka realized that a part of her wanted Kyousuke to love her, she hates herself for it. In episode 7, Sayaka said that she was thinking about what would happen if she never had saved Hitomi from that witch in episode 4, the fact that she even thought of that increased her hatred against herself. Sayaka wanted to be like Mami, Sayaka thought she was the good guy and good guys are never selfish. That's how I think.

tumblr_mtsy3xL0Ao1rydwbvo3_500.gif

We even use anger to block out the pain in our lives.

We see the world in black and white, distinguishing good from bad and nothing in between. This is why I have such a hard time with classmates. Their misbehavior irks me, I question why they don't care about marks as much as I do and I label them as the "bad students." Sayaka does that as well, she believes that Homura and Kyoko are the "bad guys" and she and Mami are the heroes who want nothing in return. When we realize we did something deemed as "bad", "selfish" or "stupid" we experience high levels of despair. Sayaka kept fighting harder and harder to fight witches after that, not wanting to accept help from others, wanting nothing in return. She desperately kept trying to convince herself that she can't be bad, but the fact that she's a "zombie" and the torment of Kyousuke not loving her kept hurting her more.

We cannot accept the fact that there is a "good" and "bad" in all of us. In episode 3, Mami reveals a little bit more about herself to Madoka. How she is lonely and a part of her wants Madoka and Sayaka to become magical girls so she won't be lonely anymore. That's how I view it at least. Sayaka wasn't there to witness that talk, she didn't know that there was some selfishness in Mami. To her, Mami was her role model and that aspiration helped her with her downfall. Despite my awareness of the concept of "good" and "bad", I still have a hard time accepting it. Constantly praying for salvation over the most mundane mistake.

Sayaka also believes she isn't worthy of love, acceptance or anything, really. When she realizes that she was separated from her soul, she calls herself a "zombie" not worthy of anything good that comes her way. She says she is stupid and an idiot so many times. I say that as well. I may not be a person with no soul, but sometimes I think I am as bad as one. I call myself an abomination of human kind and I sometimes think I'm some sort of spawn of Satan that was confused and turned to Christianity. Yes, it's that bad. I recently fell in love with a girl, and I tried to separate myself from her because I believe I do not deserve her and that I'm too much of a freak to love. I believe I was made to never be loved.

So yeah, as you can see, I am a LOT like Sayaka. As such, I care about her more than humanly possible. In fact, I care about this FICTIONAL CHARACTER more than I do myself. I see a lot of her in me, and the hate from the fanbase and OTHER PEOPLE IN HER UNIVERSE feels like hate towards me.

Other people in her universe you say? Yes. Very much. I don't even need to get started on Kyousuke, I know he doesn't care about her. But what about Madoka, Homura, Mami and the others? Her friends, right? HA HA HA, not how I see it. Kyoko, I can see. She sees a lot of her past self in Sayaka and cares about her a lot so she's off the hook.

Madoka isn't. You might be thinking: "Madoka, her best friend? How could she neglect Sayaka?" First of all, "Best Friend?"

Madoka don't give a crap about her after she takes Sayaka to the Law Of Cycles. She probably just shoved her off to the side to pay more attention to Homura. Sayaka is like that toy a kid wants really badly and after he gets it, he throws it to the back shelf to collect dust while he plays with other toys.

I've been through some bad friendships, I thought they were my best friends but all they did was leave me behind or find some sneaky way to exclude me. So, yeah, Madoka's actions towards Sayaka connect with me. But not in the good way. Madoka says Homura is her VERY BEST FRIEND. This means that her 10 or so year friendship with Sayaka doesn't mean jacksh**. Look at this scene from Madoka Magica Portable. This is the last part of the game, Walpurgisnacht has been defeated and everyone's alive! Check out Madoka's concern towards Homura at around the 11:30 mark.

That's like, 30 seconds? Alright, what about Sayaka? Who comes right after Madoka and Homura's talk.

5 Seconds. What a slap to the face. What? You're not gonna ask if she's hurt? Sure Sayaka can heal quickly but I sense no concern, not even for Mami and Kyoko. You know Madoka, If you don't want Sayaka, I'll be more than happy to take her off her hands. At least I'll CARE FOR HER YOU PINK HAIRED TRAITOR!!! Sorry, sorry, this happens everytime I think about this.

Don't get me started on Homura, to her, she wants everyone to burn, ESPECIALLY SAYAKA. Except Madoka of course but that's it. 

Mami doesn't seem to care too much, but then again I don't see much of her with Sayaka so you're off the hook. For now.

And the fanbase and even her creators! There was a poll recently about who was the best character, Sayaka won last place under the category "most hated." Joy, oh joy. Of course the writer just wants to torture Sayaka obviously, he hates people with a sense of justice after all. Not to mention the merchandise and what-not. To me, Sayaka is the third-most important character in the show in terms of her significance. But she is always the one in the back or far right/left or the figure released last. Why? Because Kyoko's badass and Mami has big boobs. Seriously, I see many people say they love Mami a lot just because of her chest. Good judgement guys. I posted this on another topic but I still need to bring this up because this is my life and most importantly, Sayaka's treatment compared to the other Magical Girls.

I feel like I'm the only Sayaka fan in existence sometimes, her fanbase is barren in empty compared to people like Homura or Kyoko.

You guys are lucky, you have the right taste in characters. I always choose what is considered the bad ones.

"You're favorite character is Sayaka? She's a b****."

"Silver The Hedgehog? What's so likable about a hedgehog with Marijuana for a head?"

Feel proud Homura/Mami/Kyoko/Madoka fans, you don't know how lucky you are.

Whenever I see Sayaka hate, I feel like I'm bleeding internally. Whenever I hear classical music that sounds like something Kyousuke can play, it hurts. You can see how much I care for this drawing, because she isn't just a character to me.

She is me.

• Thumbs Up 5

good read. dont let the fag****** haters get you down, sayaka-chan's a keeper!!!!!god bless

-shadowthehedgehog2003

I'm going to be honest here, I'm not sure that overly identifying with a fictional character is terribly healthy. Especially when people disliking a character (or, possibly just being critical about them) affects you personally or that fictional characters treating a character 'badly' (again, something that is ambiguous and subjective) does the same.

That being said, I don't think Sayaka is a bad character. Flawed, yes, but pretty much every character is. I mean, Homura is the real main character and she's super messed up. Messed up characters are interesting.

• Thumbs Up 4

good read. dont let the fag****** haters get you down, sayaka-chan's a keeper!!!!!god bless

-shadowthehedgehog2003

No seriously, don't use this kind of inflammatory language. It does nothing towards advancing a discussion.

And shape up your English as well. Capitalization and proper punctuation are a must here.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like this thread concept, I have no intention of watching the anime myself, but this gives me the idea to do identification threads with characters I understand.

I want to comment on this thread.

Now, I haven't sen the show for myself, so I have no opinion on Sayaka Mki, positive or negative. But I can definitely relate to finding a character you like and latching on to them.

And honestly? I've had difficulty understanding the concets of good and evil myself. I just stopped worrying about it at some point.

Heck, I myself was kind of an outsider throughout middle and high school. Mostly because I didn't even TRY to hide my more...unusual (to the general populace) interests. I had friends within, though. Mostly people who were just as weird as me, if not weirder. Even, then, though, I couldn't hang out with them much. I sincerely regret that.

I hope you feel better. Who knows? You might be surprised by how much better it'll get!

Thanks to the new Madoka Magica manga that has just been announced, we now get to see what happened after Sayaka's death in Madoka's new world before Rebellion.

Sayaka would most likely be used as flashbacks but I wonder if we can see what the Law of Cycles might be like.

There, I could see Madoka's real actions towards Sayaka. Does she really care about Sayaka and acknowledges her friendship? Or will my view of Madoka as a traitor be true?

*grabs pitchforks and torches*

We shall see.