Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

THank you for merging them. Let's hope they're aren't any arcade exclusive playable characters.

Well All-Stars Racing got an english arcade port so there's a chance that this game's arcade version will be localized :

20150716_211031_zps33737yiu.jpg

Well All-Stars Racing got an english arcade port so there's a chance that this game's arcade version will be localized 

That was made by Sega Amusements who are an UK company and it's based on Sumo Digitals code who are a UK company.

• 3 months later...

As we may get some news on this game during the Nintendo Direct tomorrow, I'd like to post my final newcomer predictions:

Power: Rosalina, Zazz

All-Around: Toadette, Sticks

Speed: Nabbit, Jet

Skill: Diddy Kong, Rouge

Rosalina being Power in Mario Tennis solves the problem of a missing Mario Power character here and also allows Toadette to join as the fourth female in All-Around. Along with Rosalina, she's been playable practically everywhere recently, and would finally give the Toads some representation while her male counterpart is stuck in referee hell.

The only inclusion that still bugs me is Zazz, because he'd fit the Rival role just so much better, but I guess it makes sense if they didn't want to include Big or Omega..the Sonic side is not looking too bright right now, with wildcards Sticks and Zazz being favoured over Cream, Espio, Charmy, Omega or Big.

• Thumbs Up 1

just wait  a sec... Wave??? Rosalina??? Wendy?? Ludwig? Dry Bones?

Just how many playable characters are going to be in this game? it seems they're pushing their limits ! With Wave announced I can't believe Espio won't be playable.

Time for another speculation!

Sonic Side

Pw: Knuckles, Vector, Big, Omega, Zazz

All: Amy, Sticks, Jet, Espio, Tikal

Sp: Sonic, Shadow, Metal, Blaze, Classic Sonic

Skill: Eggman, Tails, Silver, Rouge, Wave

Mario Side

PW: Bowser, Wario, DK, Rosalina, Dry Bowser

All: Mario, Luigi, Bowser Jr, Diddy, Ludwig

Sp: Yoshi, Daisy, Birdo, Nabbit, Toadette

Sk: Peach, Waluigi, Wendy, Kamek, Dry Bone

seriously, is this possible? oO

• Thumbs Up 1

So the new characters thus far are:

Team Mario: Nabbit, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Dry Bones, Ludwig, and Wendy

Team Sonic: Rouge, Jet, Zazz(?), Sticks, and Wave.

Assuming Zazz is playable and there are no more new Mario characters (doubtful), that leaves Team Sonic short one guy. It has to be either Omega or Storm.

But, even though Dry Bones is my favorite Mario baddie, does anyone think adding him is pushing it a bit? I mean, he's a generic mook, whereas all the other characters are unique individuals. I think it might have been better to add Kamek, Toadette, or another Koopaling in his place.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a shame that the game is..Pretty same-y.

I'd love a Sonic and Mario crossover that plays with the characters and their personalities - and just have some interactions between them all, but oh well - hope those custom Tag-Team win animations return, hopefully with more characters in mind.

Also, gotta love how we got Sticks with the four of the main characters for the game's render.

And of course there's Rosalina (good thing), but wait...Ludwig, okay -- Wait, Wave!? Man, that's crazy.

Edited by Alex2Beta
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm expecting all the Koopalings to show up.

Also, show me the amiibo support already.

wait a sec, I don't know if this has been brought up, but what if they're thinking of having exclusive characters for each version of the game?

We didn't see Sticks in the WiiU version for example...and Zazz for now is nowhere to be found in the 3DS version...I seriously wouldn't like that

• Thumbs Up 1

wait a sec, I don't know if this has been brought up, but what if they're thinking of having exclusive characters for each version of the game?

We didn't see Sticks in the WiiU version for example...and Zazz for now is nowhere to be found in the 3DS version...I seriously wouldn't like that

I think the previous installments of the Olympic games series haven't had exclusive characters, hopefully they don't start now. 

Wow, that's great news, they're really going all-out on characters.... although after two games with the same roster, they just had to.

I like that it's the summer games since the events are not so monotonous. Still... some amiibo compatibility, online, story mode and good character interactions (specially those team animations) would make me buy it.  I don't think there'll be a story mode this time though. 

Is that dry bones an actual player? or it's a npc? I wouldn't say it's the best choice, but I like Dry Bones, so I'm all up for it.

So the 2nd game added Silver, Metal Sonic, Donkey Kong, Bowser Jr.

This one we have:

Mario: Nabbit, Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Rosalina, Ludwig and Wendy ? (where was she?)

Sonic: Jet, Wave, Zazz, Sticks, Rouge

Is that dry bones an actual player? or it's a npc? I wouldn't say it's the best choice, but I like Dry Bones, so I'm all up for it.

He has a "3P" for "Player 3" over his head.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Wave is playable, I see no chance at all that Espio isn't playable either. Espio would get in long before Wave, she didn't even appear in past installments at all. And we're pretty much guaranteed to get Omega as well. Plus, if Dry Bones are playable, there's no reason for Dry Bowser and Eggman Nega to not be playable either.

Damn this roster is looking to be pretty massive... I'm really getting excited for it. Definitely going to pick it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I thrilled as I am to see Rosalina and others in the game, there's still one issue that bugs me. I mentioned this four years ago with the London games. The girls have different outfits for swimming and gymnastics and the guys do not. It still strikes as sexist.

I know no one wants to see Eggman in a swimming outfit  Maybe I do. But having some differing attire would be nice so that the contrast between gender norms would not be so striking. The Mario bros still go swimming in overalls and shoes; come on.

It reflects the deeper issue seen in the real Olympics where girls in gymnastics wear revealing attire while the guys have their legs entirely covered. In beach volleyball, the guys have baggy clothing while the women remarkably revealing bikinis....I detest that double standard, but that's an entirely different topic so...

yeah, having some clothing variety with the guys (like Mario wearing a t-shirt and shorts during swimming) would make things a bit more tolerable.

Oooo, Hoping for Omega. With the expanded roster I may pick this up, even if primarily for a once and a while play, it's just fun to have a game with a ton of characters, and dream events are always fun, wii-u version for me of course...

Now if only K.Rool was in

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see what they're actually putting some effort into this installment after how lackluster Sochi was.

If they improve on the online features, I'll buy this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't expecting them to add some of the koopalings though! And Wave is also there, she's not wearing any new sports outfit. Then again that seems fine, since she's an Extreme Gear rider.

But that's not all, LOOK AT THE COLORS! :o

Man, whenever I think I'm able to figure the roster out, they throw another load of characters at us. I'm starting to worry with all these new characters, the game won't have much else to offer. It seems like the 3DS version once again doesn't include dream events, and if they're scrapping Story Mode as well... what is even left?
----------------

Anyway, I looked up the Mii suits in Sochi which classified all the NPCs and tried to order the roster. However, I do not have the Wendy suit, so maybe someone can help me out here and look up her Type?

Power: Rosalina, Zazz, ???(Sonic series)

All-Around: Ludwig, Sticks, Wave

Speed: Nabbit, Wendy, Jet

Skill: Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Rouge

Looks like the last spot is perfectly reserved for Omega, Big or.. Storm. They might really put all the Babylon Rogues in because Riders is dead and the characters need a new home, but it's not like the other Sonic characters get so much more representation, do they? Out of six new Sonic characters, two have been requested (Rouge and Jet), two are there for promoting other games (Sticks and Zazz), and one is ... random. Let's see who the missing Power character for the Sonic series will be, but it's safe to say Espio, Charmy and Cream have been ignored this time. I mean, right now, there is an uneven amount of female characters, but...

If Jet and Wave are in, then Storm will probably in too.

Unlike Espio, Charmy, and Omega, who have been seen apart from the rest of their team, the Babylon Rogues are always together.

Edited by Rad Dudesman