Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

Well I never! Genuinely didn't think they'd bother with a Rio 2016 entry after interest in the series seemed to wane after Sochi 2014... but here it is, and it actually looks like they've pulled their socks up and put some honest to god effort in for once!

Hugely surprised to see so many new playable characters, especially ones like Zazz and Nabbit. It's such a relief that the rival characters from previous games are finally getting the playable treatment - we've got Jet and Rouge so I'm pretty confident Omega and/or Eggman Nega will be on the roster too, their models are already there. Rosalina has just downright got to be in the game... and oh my, short shorts Rosalina, what a sight that will be to behold at last...!

Football on the Wii U looks neat and the golf on the 3DS one looks like it'll be a decent Mario Golf alternative. Cautiously optimistic!

My reaction to this... it's OK I guess?

When I bought my Wii U, the Sochi edition came bundled in with it because it was around the time of that event. As far as I remember, I played it a bit but I didn't really know how to sync up Wii remotes at the time. It's somewhat forgettable, although somewhat better than the Beijing game ( the other edition I had) as far as I recall.

I'm not sure if it's enough to get me to buy this. I need to see the Nintendo Direct first, it kept crapping out on my phone & wouldn't play at all on my laptop. Still, nice to see a console Sonic title at all.

The amiibo wave that will come from it though...  :blink: .

Aren't the Mario and Sonic games party games? I think I played one around a friend's house once. I imagine Rosalina will be in. She's everywhere at the moment in the Wii U titles.

So this is the "Sonic" we're getting this year? Gat. fucking. dammit

You want them to release another piece of crap instead of focusing on the (possible) anniversary game? O_o

Ah, so it's an even bigger typo then. XD

Nah, I'm pretty sure I meant that. Rosalina is a g a r b a g e character. She's just as bad as Kiddy Kong, honestly.

Anyways, I hope the events in this are better than they were in Sochi. Not a lot of 'em were fun in that game lol.

I wouldn't agree that Rosalina is a garbage character. I think she's pretty cute and has a nice design. She clashes nicely enough with Peach whilst still resembling a Mario character. I like the fact she's a strong character too.

Anyone else find it hilarious that we're now into the fifth game in the series, the second on an HD console, and the crowd is still made up of the exact same low-res cardboard cut-outs that we've had from the very start?

I know it's an insignificant detail really compared to the actual gameplay, but... damn.

• Thumbs Up 7

Most events in Sochi were too gimmicky, some required you to switch between gamepad to Wiimote in certain events

Some Olympic events were fun tho but dream events have always been fun.

Can't wait to see what they do this time hopefully they make a bunch of them.

Stages I would like to see is something from sonic colors mainly starlight carnival or planet wisp.

Maybe bring in apotos from unleashed or rooftop run. And from the classics, itd be cool to see the death egg zone, lava reef (or just the music, I love it), hyrdocity zone, and sky sanctuary.

Edit: bowser jr's been playable since London. This is his third game

Nah, I'm pretty sure I meant that. Rosalina is a g a r b a g e character. She's just as bad as Kiddy Kong, honestly.

Anyways, I hope the events in this are better than they were in Sochi. Not a lot of 'em were fun in that game lol.

As bad as Kiddy!? How do you figure?

Anyway, looks interesting enough. I can't imagine they'll announce many more characters after this, they don't usually have unlockable characters, do they?

OK, now I've seen the announcement, is it strange that to me, the (admittedly little) 3DS footage looks like the most fun? I don't think there's enough for a proper judgement, that is just going by what's here so far.

Umm...okay, I didn't think this was ever going to happen since Sochi sold like crap but hey. It's an Olympics game.

Good to hear they're finally adding some new characters and I hope Rosalina is added too. She's one of the most popular Mario characters atm, wouldn't make sense to not have here there!

Unless they add Rosalina loads more Olympic games, Dream events and story mode I'm not even going to touch this. Good thing they're actually releasing it on both Wii U and 3DS though.

Eh.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if you're happy about this game coming out more power to you, but I really don't care about it, except for the possible amiibo line that may come with it, since I for one would love to have Amiibos of the Sonic characters I like and Daisy. Because this would be the only possible way to purchase an Amiibo of the best princess, screw Strawberry Shortcake and Space Goddess.

I also have to add that I wasn't too hot about the last Olympic game, since it made impossible to  have Eggman and Wario in a Ice Dancing event, among few other things.

And...eh, the Deadly Six are really here to stay, aren't they? Good for those who like them, I suppose. I would have went for other Sonic characters like Espio or Big, or at least for the decent member of the group, Zavok, but I still have the choice to not play as him, so it's fair game.

Is "boxing" already in the series? Because I'd be midly interested if that got in. Of course, without the stupid "male-only" option they were going for in the last game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who's ready for all of the Amiibos that are inevitably going to come out of this?

RIP wallets of SSMB.

I think this will be the only good thing coming out of Mario & Sonic.

Finally I can get awesome looking figures of Rouge, Shadow, Blaze and more!! <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Edit: bowser jr's been playable since London. This is his third game

Fourth, he was in Vancouver as well.

Didn't see that coming.

Also, looks the same as always. Looking forward for the awesome remixes, tho.

And I guess this is mach2?

Umm...okay, I didn't think this was ever going to happen since Sochi sold like crap but hey. It's an Olympics game.

These games are probably pretty cheap to make and between Nintendo, SEGA, and...I guess the Olympics people(???) they probably have enough money to throw away for this kind of thing. I could see them maybe stop making new M&S games eventually, but probably not anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 4

And...eh, the Deadly Six are really here to stay, aren't they? Good for those who like them, I suppose. I would have went for other Sonic characters like Espio or Big, or at least for the decent member of the group, Zavok, but I still have the choice to not play as him, so it's fair game.

Somehow, I reckon Zavok might show up as a Power/All-Around character. If not, then as a Rival, definitely.

I'm not that big on the Olympic games, but if it means I can get a Zazz Amiibo out of it...

• Thumbs Up 1

If there is amiibo support, that means we are getting another Mario, Luigi, peach, bowser, yoshi, third ones now, and sonic diddy, donkey Kong, bowser Jr and wario for there second ones and possibly rosalina.

Soo many Mario amiibos

Jet? Ugh, seriously? But even worse, Zazz. And yet still no Espio. Zazz, but no Espio.