Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

They announced Dragon Quest VII and VIII for the west for next year.  Finally, the RPGs are making their comeback.  I'm very pleased with that.

Otherwise, I couldn't attend the SSMB stream, but this was a lot of fun to watch.  A nice meaty Direct with a pretty diverse showing, and if a lot of it was predictable on one level or another, that doesn't mean it was unwelcome.  All things considered, a good comeback, from my perspective.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well! I'm a little late posting this, but I have to say! This was a nice direct. Not so many unexpected surprises, expect one BIG reveal, but this was one that mostly answer a lot of questions on titles already shown, and well as titles not yet confirmed to come overseas.

To be honest, I'm not really hyping Twilight Princess HD. I've played through it once, had fun, but don't really feel like going through it again. Cool for those who want it and the Amiibo though.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash... I'm not getting it. I hate how bare bones that game looks, and there doesn't seem to be any future support to flesh it out and make it more appealing. While the tennis gameplay looks solid, it seems extremely gimped when compared to it's predecessors in ways that are just inexcusable, so I'm out.

I was already sold on FAST Racing Neo, Pokken, Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Final Fantasy Explorers and Fire Emblem Fates. I'm definitely saving up for the full pack for Fire Emblem Fates, no questions asked! I'm interested in investing into the whole story, plus I want the art book. And WOW! I wasn't expecting Star Fox to be pushed that far back. I was expecting February at the most... Oh well, I guess they want to pad out releases a bit to keep the Wii U going until the NX release... whenever that is...

FAST Racing Neo... Look there's a Blue Falcon sized hole in my heart and I need something to fill it. I wish people would stop labeling it as a cheap/poor man's copy of F-Zero, because it isn't. The racing is similar, but the mechanics are definitely different from  F-Zero. And it still has amazing looking tracks, speed, local and online multi-player. So what's not to like? That it's not F-Zero? Well, excuse me! I'm sure Nintendo is definitely planning on releasing a new F-Zero soon. Oh wait! They're not or at least having said anything about to where it can be release anywhere near FAST Racing Neo! So please give this some attention and keep your eyes on it if you want to good looking high speed racer.

Dragon Quest 7 and 8 are coming over, thank goodness! I'm definitely getting both. I've never played 7, but I've played 8 and it one of my favorite RPG's in the series! If you missed your chance on the PS2 to play it, and have a 3DS, I recommend looking into it if you have an RPG itch to scratch. Having Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow back on the 3DS is great since I've never played a main pokemon title. It's definitely a great time for me to get involve now!

And man... that haymaker... Cloud in Smash Bros. Holy crap, I would have never been able to see that coming! I don't care if people like him confirmed or not or whatever. This is big surprise no matter how you slice it! And look, whether it's because of the few times he's been on Nintendo plattforms (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Re-Coded, Final Fantasy Theatrhythm and Explorers, with the last one already being available in Japan.) just having him represent Final Fantasy as a whole, which is a series that has had a lot of titles on Nintendo consoles or possibly having his inclusion leading to something a bit bigger in the future on a Nintendo console... I don't know. But this shows that first, a lot of the so called "rules" that most fans want to enforce on this franchise with what character can get in or not, with Nintendo status or credentials, holds about has much water as a dried sponge. And two, this title has an absolutely insane roster with all the characters confirmed so far. Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu and Cloud alone is something from a dream match that many never thought would ever happen and here it is. This is something amazing. And to be honest. I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy fan, myself. I've only played IV, X and the real III. But I'm eager to play him and the Midgar stage looks sick as fuck!

So I enjoyed myself here. Would have loved to have seen something on Metroid Prime: Federation Force, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for that.

Edited by YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 4

A good decision.  Popular opinion seems to have turned against these two titles in the past few years, but I've always really enjoyed them, and have been pretty disappointed by the more derivative direction Zelda's generally taken on the 3DS.  For the same reason, I was also pleased to see that TriForce Heroes hasn't forgotten about Linebeck.

Damn, why hasn't NA gotten ST and PH yet? I hate the concept of ST but I do want to pick them up just so I have every Zelda game.

And yeah I'll be getting TP HD. I never had a copy of TP myself.

It's NOA. Big surprise

I'll be getting TPHD since I never played it either. Hopefully it has multiple control options, and if it does then the Wiimote controls ought to be refined a little.

I was A-OK with Star Fox Zero's official release date! I'm so excited for the game. That, and Twilight Princess HD. It's my favorite Zelda game, so I think it's likely I'll be getting the bundle with the amiibo! Also, Could for Smash? Awesome! c:

3DS probably won't happen because its way too weak to be able to handle it. It'd have to be Minecraft "Lite" if anything.

I wouldn't underestimate it, we don't really know its limitations. I don't see Minecraft being a problem for the New 3DS.

So, what? Still no news on Federation Force? It's been 5 months since they dropped that on us, and aside from Reggie whining about how people would like it if they played it, I don't think we heard much of anything about it.

So, what? Still no news on Federation Force? It's been 5 months since they dropped that on us, and aside from Reggie whining about how people would like it if they played it, I don't think we heard much of anything about it.

Because its not coming out until later in Spring. We'll hear news about it next year, but there was a lot more things they needed to pile into this Direct. Most everything they talked about only was discussed about a minute or less, with only a few things lasting more than that. Once Directs start becoming more common again we'll hear about Federation Force. I think we'll probably have another Direct in January.

• 3 months later...

While I don't expect any real news on it, it'd be nice if they mention roughly when they'll start talking about NX.

Hopefully the rumored Paper Mario game is shown. I expect it to be. And of course 2D Metroid. That's totally going to be there. I just know it!

- FE Fates Releasedate for Europe

- Boxboy 2 Releasedate (maybe directly after the Show?)

- That Amiibo Mario vs. DK Wii U game releasedate (again, maybe directly after?)

- Detective Pikachu release date (...you know.)

Those are my save bets. Besides that...I really don't know what to expect. Hoping for the Mother rumor to be confirmed, though.

Edit: Oh, and the Yokai Watch Demo will probably be mentioned and pop up pretty soon on the eShop.

• Thumbs Up 2

Who else wants to bet that they saw the reactions to the Pokemon Direct and thought "woops, better do another one and actually show off some gameplay of Sun & Moon this time!" :lol: /jk

Honestly this has come as a pleasant surprise announcement so I'll be happy with anything half-decent that gets shown off, however I'd be particularly keen to see some confirmation of the rumoured Paper Mario Wii U and a Detective Pikachu localisation.

Mother 3 would be nice too, but I imagine that'll be an E3 bombshell if anything... if it happens at all, of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

My hype hat is on.  There's just so much on the horizon that I'm hard-pressed to even start making predictions... but since it was mentioned in response to the last Direct, I think it's probably about time we heard more about Federation Force.  Now that the heat has died down a bit, you know.  We just got Bravely Second, they'll want to plug that for sure, though it'd be nice to get release dates for Dragon Quest VII/VIII.  Yokai Watch details are basically confirmed by Shibata wearing that goofy watch in his promo image (never change, Mr. Shibata).  Eh... I'd really like Zero Time Dilemma to show up, but Uchikoshi said he's revealing that during GDC, so that won't be for another couple of weeks.  And on the Wii U side of things, don't forget there's that new Pikmin game which has apparently been nearly finished for a while now.

12 minutes ago, Thigolf said:

- Boxboy 2 Releasedate (maybe directly after the Show?)

Agreed; once it had passed two weeks without any word on the western side, I knew it was coming out straight after the next Direct.  I can't wait; BoxBoy is amazing.

This should be an interesting one. Can't think of much I'd like to see, but I'll be watching anyway to see if anything does take my fancy.

And who wants to bet that there'll be a specific Direct for mobile and My Nintendo [perhaps even NX] next week? We've had Pokemon. We've got general. Now for something special.

As much as I am hyped for this, I'm still not staying up past 11:00PM just to see some info on what's likely to be games I've already seen plenty of.  Nevertheless, I'm praying we get something on Sun and Moon.

Gonna be really weird, knowing we won't get any Smash news. Which is fine, since Smash literally took all my hype every time a Direct was announced. Now I'll have other things to look forward to!

More looking forward to how much further the format will be retooled, if possible. I saw on the EU Twitter that may hint towards YoKai Watch 2, so maybe that's something for the fans to look forward to.

And who knows, maybe we will get actual footage of Sun and Moon....if you know the games were coming out through the summer. So don't really expect anything from those games here.

I assume the hint you're talking about is Shibata wearing the Yo-Kai Watch. That's for the first game. It's not out in Europe yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I assume the hint you're talking about is Shibata wearing the Yo-Kai Watch. That's for the first game. It's not out in Europe yet.

You guys still didn't get the first game yet? Wow.