Awoo.

Dark Souls 3 "In 2016, Praise all your problems away!"

Badnik Mechanic

VG24/7 is claiming that they have been tipped off by a source that Namco will be announcing the third instalment of Dark Souls at E3 this year.

They don't name their source but go into detail that Hidetaka Miyazaki, the director of the original Dark Souls and Bloodborne is the director this time around.

That's pretty much all they're willing to say. 

After Bloodborne, can anyone really go back to Dark Souls unless they radically change how the combat works? Bloodborne was so fast and aggressive and ferocious in nature unlike Dark Souls much slower defensive based combat.

As for if the rumour is true, it's certainly possible that it is, remember how Dark Souls 2 got announced out of nowhere and a lot of development had already gone into it. Nobody saw it coming.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'd be more excited for a new property from Miyazaki, but even then it's pretty dang early after Bloodborne.  If he is helming the project, I'm guessing it'll either come out in a long while or he's getting more help with directing than usual.

That said, Dark Souls is pretty much my favorite game, and Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are right up there with it.  Dark Souls 2 is the only one in this collection of games that was not directed by Miyazaki, and it gets so much wrong.  The other 3 set up interesting challenges and make you want to complete them, whereas Dark Souls 2 just feels like a bully that drops a bunch of annoying shit on you just to see you squirm and fail.  I'd hope that Miyazaki can make a new Dark Souls that sets it right and brings the quality back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'd be more excited for a new property from Miyazaki, but even then it's pretty dang early after Bloodborne.  If he is helming the project, I'm guessing it'll either come out in a long while or he's getting more help with directing than usual.

Or maybe they're just namedropping him to dodge the B-team criticism, sounds like something Namco would try.

For me the clue was that Namco are announcing it, not From Software.

More souls is good. Even the "b team" were in a pretty good place after the scholar of the first sin dlc. 

Screens seem legit. Looks about the same as Bloodborne, if a bit worse (flat geometry), could be an early build.

If 2016 confirms then it's clear Miyazaki wasn't directing this full time.

I think I'm on Team "I want to believe." It looks genuine but something just seems off, especially that PC line.

Considering how everyone can go around and create false leaks these days thanks to Unreal Engine 4, everyone should be cautious about this one.

That looks pretty good, I'll say.  The art looks appealing (though as we learned from Dark Souls 2, don't trust pre-release graphics).  Not sure about some of the other info being legit or not, but I'd say it's safe to bet the screens and whatnot are the real deal.

And now I wait to see how it turns out.  Already turned off by the first shown off boss being a big dude in armor (2 was littered with these things and it felt so uncreative compared to 1), but the otter thing looked interesting.  I hope the ratio of armor guy to actual creative boss designs is more balanced this time.

And then the make it or break it factor will be enemy design and placement.  2 completely missed the mark in this regard, feeling more dickish and annoying than challenging.  If 3 follows that path, I'll be an unhappy camper.  So I hope whatever team is working on it takes more inspiration from the Miyazaki design philosophy.

Huh, looks like your 2nd slot items will be on your model, something I've been waiting for for quite a while.  

Wanna believe this is real (in fact i'm really hoping its real) but it'd be kind of weird to have it come out next year when bloodborne would only be a year old by that point and if they plan to support it, it will be played for quite some time. Haven't really played dark souls 2 yet (only played the first and bloodborne) here's to it hopefully being a return to form of the first game.

Well shoot, I guess we are getting a third game. But...early 2016? That seems a bit TOO early don't you think? Maybe they really did get the other team to work on this game because I find it hard to believe that miyazaki is working on this right after bloodborne.

He's supposed to be holding something or making a fist, but it looks like he's giving a half-hearted thumbs-up. 

Whoooo, DS3.

Really though, I am excited. I planned on getting to the second game, even though I've heard it's not as good. If Miyazaki really does have some meaningful role this time around, that's even better.

He's supposed to be holding something or making a fist, but it looks like he's giving a half-hearted thumbs-up. 

Whoooo, DS3.

Really though, I am excited. I planned on getting to the second game, even though I've heard it's not as good. If Miyazaki really does have some meaningful role this time around, that's even better.

Yeah lmao. I think he's meant to be spreading ash but it totally looks like 

"yeah woo whatever dark souls 3 meh"

Pretty excited! more the merrier woop

Well shoot, I guess we are getting a third game. But...early 2016? That seems a bit TOO early don't you think? Maybe they really did get the other team to work on this game because I find it hard to believe that miyazaki is working on this right after bloodborne.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/dark-souls-3-follows-closely-from-dark-souls-2-says-miyazaki-about-games-design/

“For instance, we adopted the concept of rapid fire for the short bow, and the animation between rolling and walking has been smoothed out. I don’t think we’re going to employ the idea of agility, otherwise the action would be stressful until you raise your stats.” 
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So let's talk about this for a bit. I really like the new environments and the bosses look as amazing as ever.

• Thumbs Up 2