Awoo.

The Architecture Thread

Osmium

This is a bit out of nowhere, but I was looking at some mid-century modern buildings, and it gave me the idea to start this topic. 

So what is you're favourite type of architecture? Examples can be public buildings, houses , and even strange things like bridges and junk if it remains consistent with the style. 

When you post, please give some reasons to why you like it and think it's appealing, at least to you. 

So my favourite kind of architecture? That's actually kind of a toughie as there really isn't a solid name for many of the kind of public buildings and houses that I like, so I guess I will just name some styles that i really like. 

The first I like is International Style. This style started in the late 20s and early 30s, and was very contrasting to the other kinds of buildings at the time. 

I guess the buildings of this style are said to be very plain and simple. There is almost no decoration at all, and walls are flat and smooth. Interiors of these buildings are often very open and light. 

I love simple plain types of buildings with long smooth walls which use lots of glass and have simple types of rooms and designs. 

VillaSavoye.jpg

800px-Bauhaus.JPG

800px-Barcelona_Pavilion_pool.JPG

Then there's Googie, which is a type of futurist architecture. This type of architecture was popular from around the late 40s to the mid 60s. 

Buildings of this type were simple, used simple geometric shapes such as triangles. Googie can be associated with the Atomic Age, and Space Age, two very important eras. 

800px-NormsRestaurant_LaCienega.JPG

Then we have Mid Century Modern which is really up there for me. Houses in this style are extremely attractive to me with their long, low-slung roofs and often being single story with entire walls being made of glass. 

800px-Case_Study_House_No._21.JPG

Kaufmannslide3.jpeg

profit2D.jpg

Then we have a big one which I would call 50s-70s Futurism. 

Buildings in this style are often smooth and white and plain. They are usually very bold and only have simple designs. 

325px-LAX_LA.jpg

Jan73SpiresSm.png

iyhw_tomorrowland.jpg

Those two bottom pictures are from the 1971 Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom. Notice how white and plain the buildings look compared to now. 

That picture of the Tomorrowland Terrace(The one just above)I quite like with those 70's smooth geometric shapes. 

Here's a nice picture of Space Mountain  with it's cool satellite building, when it first opened in 1975 with it's extremely cool pylon. This was back in the days when it was sponsored by RCA.

Just look at the entrance into it! 

46355518.jpg

And this is Space Mountain in Disneyland from 1977. It also has a pylon, probably even cooler looking than WDW's. Look at those white sweeping buildings adjacent to it! 

sm7123234LARGE.jpg

Here's a really cool stage that used to exist at Disneyland. 

coketerrace_stageup1969bn.jpg

Okay, I got a bit off topic. 

I guess I really like anything that could be considered modern between the late 40's and mid 70's. 

I guess what I find in Architecture is a bit unappealing to people. Most people don't like plain white buildings which are often have sharp geometric shapes and don't have really any theme to them outside of being simple to the eyes. I find them to be warm,clean,and they have a sense of optimism in my eyes. 

Would like to hear what kind of architecture you like the best. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not sure if anybody really minds labor in some countries that go extra extravagant in their architect, but I really like most of the towers in Dubai (And some countries, such as China, heck, even some places that build amazing-looking buildings not in Mid-East :V), it is really mind blowing and just very clean to look at, even the smaller ones are well done, albeit the hate I see on the internet due to their way of treating workers.

This would also go to how much I hate the brutality one due to its dullness and soullessness, it blows my mind how some people really prefer it over the current style used in most modern buildings :P

BURJ-KHALIFA.jpg

Dubai-Festival-City-2011.jpg