Awoo.

Skylanders: SuperChargers "Spyro can drive cars with Bowser now.. Wait, what?"

Failinhearts

The newest Skylanders game has been announced by Activision after several leaks over the past few weeks. The name is Skylanders: Superchargers. The game is developed by Vicarious Visions, who worked on Skylanders: Swap Force, the 3DS version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure and the mobile games.

The gimmick this time is that it uses vehicles that take part in ground, air and sea sections.

I'm pissed that the traps from the past game only create boosts to vehicles and don't unlock the real character.

Here's some more details courtesy of Family Gamer TV

The game is set for a September 20th release, very close to Lego Dimensions.

So what do you think? Are you gonna get this game or is Skylanders going downhill?

Edited by Failinhearts

Happy to see that Activision is running out of ideas and still trying to cash cow on Skylanders. 

I wish they'd just kick Spyro out of Skylanders altogether so maybe a developer can finally make a real Spyro game and give Spyro some of his respect back.

• Thumbs Up 7

Good thing I was never too interested in Skylanders. As for my brother he has given up on Skylanders, he thinks this game is ridiculous.

Spitfire looks cool. That's pretty much all I can say about this. I would like to try the Skylander franchise but these games require such a high investment I don't bother to get them.

Spitfire looks cool. That's pretty much all I can say about this. I would like to try the Skylander franchise but these games require such a high investment I don't bother to get them.

Urgh. Like Ryan said, you can kinda tell that Activision is at a point where they're running out of ideas. So glad these toys never appealed to me. =[

• Thumbs Up 2

So we might get amiibo support for this game http://nintendoinquirer.com/2015/06/amiibo-support-may-be-coming-to-skylanders-superchargers/

You know I've never played a skylanders game. I don't know something about the art style just turned me off not to mention in order to actually play a game you have to use the toys and it just didn't appeal to me(says the amiibo collector). 

I wouldn't play these games due to how costly they are, but I do think that Disney Infinity is having a whole lot more work being put into it these days.

Methinks Activision needs to step their game up before they get left in the dust.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Bowser and Donkey Kong joins the battle as the latest Superchargers of the Fire and Life elements respectivley!

608248113548891615741332002165387931980n

The bases of each character can be turned to become amiibo, or playable Skylanders! Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and his vehicle: The Barrel Blaster will be replacing Spitfire and Hot Streak for the Wii U starter pack while Hammer Slam Bowser and the Cloud Cruiser is in the 3DS/Wii Starter packs!

starter_wiiu_full.jpg

starter_wii_full.jpg

starter_3ds_full.jpg

Please don't announce a Dark Edition Activision, I have to buy enough Starter Packs as is!

(If you haven't noticed, the Wii and 3DS versions are called Skylanders Superchargers: Racing. Those two versions are different from the HD consoles.)

I withdraw my earlier comment, my brother and I are getting the game. But only because I want the Bowser Skylander since he's my favorite Mario character. But he'll be the only Skylander I'll buy for the game.

Wow, I don't think any Skylander has had this much extensive concept art.

f27ns.jpg

28ba8gy.jpg

2rer776.jpg

29mniaq.jpg

2n898cx.jpg

n2xtag.jpg

I'll get it only for Bowser and DK. Plus these Skylander's models double as Amiibo for the characters.

Wow, I don't think any Skylander has had this much extensive concept art. f27ns.jpg 28ba8gy.jpg 2rer776.jpg 29mniaq.jpg 2n898cx.jpg n2xtag.jpg

I could tell Vicarious Visions had a ball developing the Nintendo characters for Superchargers! I love looking at Skylanders concept art, especially when looking at the footage of Toys For Bob's facility. There are tons of prototypes and drawings on display there.

My, how things change. Just look at Gill Grunt during his development from Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure.

66fb9_gillgrunt00.jpg

Or Chopper from Skylanders: Trap Team.

549edf886f4518080959974a6c260a42c6340ae9

I even found a youtube account for an animator who worked on the Toys For Bob Skylander games. (Spyro's Adventure, Giants, Trap Team)

https://www.youtube.com/user/justanimate

Sorry, I just get carried away when talking about these things. I know you don't care.

Those figurines look tacky, cheap as hell, like they'll break apart in the hands of their target audience of youngsters - a world away from the mostly very well put together Amiibos. I hope that they look better come release.

Those figurines look tacky, cheap as hell, like they'll break apart in the hands of their target audience of youngsters - a world away from the mostly very well put together Amiibos. I hope that they look better come release.

Compared to amiibo, yes the build is inferior. As a collector of 200+ Skylanders however, I can assure you that none of them ever broke and many of them look damn good in person. They've been through some rough crap too.

The Trap Masters and Giants figures were some of Skylanders' best figures in my opinion, I can't stop looking at Tree Rex!

That's just me though.

Honestly, I think the complete oposite, some of the Amiibos look bland and it looks like they barely had any effort put into them, heck this was one of the main complains people had with the Amiibos in general.

Skylanders on the other hand always had a good focus in detail, at least the ToysForBob games had, I always thought VV's games had inferior figurines compared to TFB, but maybe that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

With Comic-Con among us, all the Toys To Life contenders are preparing for their big announcements. Including Skylanders.

The Skylanders Facebook posted this picture with the accompanying words: "Watch out Portal Masters, something Dark is coming...."

11696644_1248743921817428_50924503609813

Looks like we're getting another Dark Edition Starter Pack this year.

Also, Gamestop held it's "Skylander Day" like they do every so often that gave away a poster with info that can help calm the spirits of those thinking they need to buy 2 of the same game in order to get the Nintendo characters and the original pack-in character: Spitfire or for those who will get the digital download version of the game and still wants Spitfire, Hot Streak or Super Shot Stealth Elf.

On this poster, Super Shot Stealth Elf and the vehicle Hot Streak are being sold seperately. Those are Starter Pack figures. If Hot Streak is being sold on it's own, no doubt it's Skykander that it's paired up with: Spitfire will be sold seperately too. This is the first time (not counting variants or re-poses) that a Starter Pack Skylander is being sold seperately.

GameStopPoster.jpg

So yeah, now I have to buy THREE versions of the same game instead of four. One for Donkey Kong, one for the Dark Edition and one for Bowser.

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this topic with a special announcement:

Gamestop is giving away copies of a promotional comic starring two particular guests:

SkylandersIDW_comic_bonusLG.jpg

I got the issue, so here are some scans:

012_zpsdqsjdf1e.jpg013_zpssem3kfzu.jpg014_zps2ycnitlt.jpg015_zpsxo4uitiz.jpg016_zpsq9pz1dut.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that Bowser is apparently friends with DK? I know they both dislike Mario, but seems like an odd partnership there.

Overall, from the looks of it, they both look in-character and it's pretty cool to see the King of the Koopas having a speaking role again, even if in a comic, to let his personallity shine.

With the game coming out in a couple of days, I think I should show off all the news that may be of importance.

First off, the Dark Editions. There are 3 different types of Dark Editions this year, so in order to get every figure, you need 5 Starter Packs. Oooh, boy. For those who don't know, Dark variants (not to be confused with the Dark element) are in-game variants with increased stats.

mGfBbKV.jpg

The Dark Edition for the PS3, PS4, XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE comes with Dark Spitfire, Dark Hot Streak, Dark Super Shot Stealth Elf, Dark Sea Shadow and the Kaos Trophy which unlocks special Kaos themed content. (Including playing as him in races.)

The Dark Edition for the Wii U version replaces Dark Super Shot Stealth Elf and Dark Sea Shadow with Dark Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Dark Barrel Blaster.

The Dark Edition for the Wii game replaces those two with Dark Hammer Slam Bowser and Dark Clown Cruiser.

Speaking of the Wii version, we now have a gameplay trailer for it (and the 3DS version) thanks to the store displays. The Wii and 3DS games are an entirely different game called "Skylanders Superchargers: Racing." It's a complimentary racing game with an original storyline. There is no on-foot gameplay in these versions. The 3DS version will also have online racing.

And speaking of online... Skylanders: Superchargers is the first home console Skylanders game with online multiplayer! There's online co-op story mode, online racing and online Skystones matches! (Skystones is the trading card game, within a game.) We've been asking for online for a long time, and now our wish has been granted!

Here's an overview trailer to wrap things up!

I would go into more detail on variants, figures, levels, Portal Master Rank, story and more.. But you don't care, do you?

Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that Bowser is apparently friends with DK? I know they both dislike Mario, but seems like an odd partnership there.

Overall, from the looks of it, they both look in-character and it's pretty cool to see the King of the Koopas having a speaking role again, even if in a comic, to let his personallity shine.

They're not actually friends in the comic. Bowser just sided with DK against a stranger because he was familiar with the ape. "Enemy of my enemy" and all that.

It's explained in the comic that DK found the rift (caused by Kaos) leading to Skylands, and he was curious enough to blindy jump into it, dragging Bowser along with him.

Oh, and DK is actually friends with Mario, outside of the occasional dispute involving Pauline or Mini toys.

Edited by Forte-Metallix