Awoo.

Skylanders: SuperChargers "Spyro can drive cars with Bowser now.. Wait, what?"

Failinhearts

ec14d3f36848aa8cc903537db84fb363.jpg Here's my progress so far. I hope the chaotix come back soon.

Uhh, buddy? This is the Skylanders topic. I think you took a wrong turn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Words honestly don't begin to describe how happy I am to have stopped playing Skylanders after the original. The amount of cash cowing that Activision is doing with these fucking starter packs is totally crazy. Say what you want about Disney Infinity or Lego Dimensions but at least those are fucking one starter pack with all the same figures all around. 

Normally I was indifferent towards the skylanders series. Not because I thought it was kiddy or anything I liked the concept but then I realized that you have to use the toys in order to actually play the game and that just made me not care. But the fact that Bowser and DK it peaked my interest and the fact that they also double as amiibo(please help me I need to stop buying) Im interested also since it's part racing and has an online race I want to get it. Should I? What am I in for when playing a skylanders game?

Normally I was indifferent towards the skylanders series. Not because I thought it was kiddy or anything I liked the concept but then I realized that you have to use the toys in order to actually play the game and that just made me not care. But the fact that Bowser and DK it peaked my interest and the fact that they also double as amiibo(please help me I need to stop buying) Im interested also since it's part racing and has an online race I want to get it. Should I? What am I in for when playing a skylanders game?

Not sure what to say in terms of newcomers since there's a lot to go over. There's a nice guide on the amiibo subreddit to teach amiibo collectors into the world of Skylands!

https://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/3a2t86/for_those_of_you_new_to_skylanders_heres_the/

If you have any other questions in particular, like the story and whatnot, feel free to ask me via this topic or a PM! I'll do my best to help out!

• Thumbs Up 1

Words honestly don't begin to describe how happy I am to have stopped playing Skylanders after the original. The amount of cash cowing that Activision is doing with these fucking starter packs is totally crazy. Say what you want about Disney Infinity or Lego Dimensions but at least those are fucking one starter pack with all the same figures all around. 

Thing is tho', the starter packs are different games, so it's not like you're buying the same game for the same console five times to get all characters. DK comes on the Wii U version, which is a main skylanders game, Bowser comes on the Wii and 3DS version which is an entirely different game, as it's a pure racing game, with different tracks and characters from the franchise.

Meanwhile all the other console versions come with the same characters, so if you don't care for those, you can get the Wii/3DS and the Wii U games(Which are two different games, mind you) for the Skymiibos and just be done with it.

Or get them loose on Ebay, starter pack characters are usually REALLY cheap.

Skylanders is a hack'n slash platformer, with every single character having their own upgrade line and levels which grow with the more experience they collect. This game has racing elements, heck even online racing and chat IIRC, so there'll be parts that the game will require that you use a vehicle, one example I could cite is fighting a giant mutant rooster by using a flying vehicle.

The series is pretty out there for the most part, having a pretty interesting lore around the characters, species and places surrounding the franchise, while also each character playing differently and having their own personallity and charm. Some of the character interactions can be really funny and most of the bad guys just scream delicious ham at you during their cutscenes and boss fights. So I'd recommend as a series that you don't take too seriously but also give it a try to see if you'll enjoy it, as it is a pretty fun game for me, and I think people should  try to look past all the controversy and badmouthing the game has and test it out themselves in a mindset of wanting to experiment, not in a mindset of ''I will play this just to say I did so my opinion is validated.''

• Thumbs Up 3

Thing is tho', the starter packs are different games, so it's not like you're buying the same game for the same console five times to get all characters. DK comes on the Wii U version, which is a main skylanders game, Bowser comes on the Wii and 3DS version which is an entirely different game, as it's a pure racing game, with different tracks and characters from the franchise.

Meanwhile all the other console versions come with the same characters, so if you don't care for those, you can get the Wii/3DS and the Wii U games(Which are two different games, mind you) for the Skymiibos and just be done with it.

Or get them loose on Ebay, starter pack characters are usually REALLY cheap.

That still is pretty dumb that you have to buy a completely different game if you want both bowser and DK. I shouldn't need to resort to ebay to get them separately.

To be fair the games come with pretty much all the figures you'll ever need to beat the main game, if you want to get some side things like accessories and to access all the different kinds of element gates then yeah you will need more but honestly the game is fun enough even with whats given to you and is in no way any worse if you don't go out and buy more figures. Plus the writing, characters, and general gameplay is pretty fun so its not like the "collect em all" motto that the games stuck with for so long is its only advantage.

I want to bring up the game's story and writing for a bit.

There's a LOT of fanservice based on what I've seen. The Darkness, which was a big part of the First Skylanders games is becoming a prominent figure again! This time, with a physical form! The Core Of Light plays a role, the fan-favorite NPCs from past games return, there's even a connection to the IDW Comics! Ooooh, I'm geeking out, here!

Also, according to some people, the story will be more emotional. That is an interesting turn. Skylanders is known for it's more light-hearted story, but if it's anything like what this guy says, we're in for one hell of a ride! This was taken from an article, but I'm not exactly sure where.

We were shown some of the cutscenes from the final game and suffice it to say that SuperChargers will have an emotional weight and character-driven story never before seen in the series, and it looks amazing. One scene we were shown in particular comes to mind, as it was easy to tell the hardcore fans from the casual ones by whether or not they teared up while watching it play out. I can't ruin it for you here, but this particular scene had me going for the tissues. Pretty impressive for a 'kids game,' right?

(Oh yeah, on a side note, there's an iPad version. There's gonna be digital Skylanders for on the go play if you're not using the Bluetooth Portal, and it'll be the same game as the HD versions. It won't be like Skylanders Superchargers: Racing)

That still is pretty dumb that you have to buy a completely different game if you want both bowser and DK. I shouldn't need to resort to ebay to get them separately.

I still do want to note that I don't really see it happening that way, though. I'm pretty sure starter packs usually release those characters solo at a later date. The only thing that won't be released separately is the Dark ones, and I couldn't give a crap about those.

I have no doubt you'll be seeing Bowser and DK go solo later.

I still do want to note that I don't really see it happening that way, though. I'm pretty sure starter packs usually release those characters solo at a later date. The only thing that won't be released separately is the Dark ones, and I couldn't give a crap about those.

I have no doubt you'll be seeing Bowser and DK go solo later.

Skylanders BARELY release their Starter Pack figures as solo characters. (Unless they're re-poses or special variants like Gnarly Tree Rex) Series 2 Cynder is the only worldwide exception to this rule.

Series 1 Spyro, Gill Grunt and Trigger Happy are only available in the Spyro's Adventure Starter Packs. Tree Rex and Jet-Vac (in North America) are only in the Giants Starter Packs. Wash Buckler, Blast Zone and Ninja Stealth Elf were never released seperately outside of the Swap Force Starter Packs. Snap Shot, Food Fight and the specific Trap Molds of the Water and Life Traps are only obtainable through Trap Team's Starter Packs.

HOWEVER, that rule may change with Superchargers. As I stated in an earlier post, Hot Streak and Super Shot Stealth Elf (which was in the regular Starter Packs) is shown in single packs on a poster. This is probably because of the new option to download the game digitally if you have an old portal. This may not apply to the Nintendo characters, though. It's been explicity stated that the Nintendo characters are Starter Pack ONLY.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/19/bowser-donkey-kong-skylanders-superchargers-amiibo-are-only-obtainable-via-starter-packs/

Despite it being a one-shot that art style though, the characters look confused and lifeless for most of the panels. I dunno, IDW is pretty iffy it seems. Maybe I have been spoiled with more expressive fan art and what-not but ehhhhh.

But hey. First time we have had a Mario character in a comic in a long time. That's something, right?

Who's hungry for gameplay with a side order of character previews? Well, here you go!

This chapter of the game is interesting. Cluck from Skylanders Swap Force is back, and instead of messing with the fabric of time..... He's now running a fast-food chain. There's a neat mechanic to this level, where you have the ability to shrink and grow certain objects! When you shrink/grow an enemy, it can change how they fight! Adds more variety. This video also showcases gameplay of Spitfire, Splat, Crypt Crusher and Stealth Stinger!

(Also, it's cool how Fire attacks can burn a wandering chicken and turn them into rotisserie which you can use to heal yourself.)

Here's a video showcasing not all, but many Skylanders and vehicles.

To be fair the games come with pretty much all the figures you'll ever need to beat the main game, if you want to get some side things like accessories and to access all the different kinds of element gates then yeah you will need more but honestly the game is fun enough even with whats given to you and is in no way any worse if you don't go out and buy more figures. Plus the writing, characters, and general gameplay is pretty fun so its not like the "collect em all" motto that the games stuck with for so long is its only advantage.

That's not really the point though. Yes, you have access to complete the story, but that's about it. You're buying a full priced game and really, you can barely do any of the extra stuff that adds gameplay or even being able to 100% the game without buying a figure just to access it. It's the equivalent of On Disc DLC where the content is there on disc, but locked out until you go and buy a overpriced figure to unlock one small piece of that content. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Two days left and there's so much to talk about! So, the intro and a bit of Chapter 1 gameplay has leaked and the production values have improved so much! I've never felt this immersed in a Skylanders story since Spyro's Adventure! (Obvious spoilers for Level 1)

Here's an explaination on the story so far from the eyes of a Portal Master if you want to get spoiled. (Or if you saw the videos)

The game starts with Kaos mocking the introduction Master Eon (The guide for the player who has become a spirit in the events leading up to the first game) gives the player at the beginning of every Skylanders game and then it's revealed that he has already taken over Skylands! He has imprisoned Eon and three of the main NPCs of the series: Flynn, Cali and Hugo. Kaos has also managed to take control of all the Portals in Skylands, isolating Earth's connection to the magical realm, making the Skylanders unable to return to Skylands. However, Hugo (Eon's Apprentice) managed to override the Portal to reconnect to Earth. This is where the Portal Master is prompted to place a Land Vehicle on the Portal. Storywise, it's because the vehicles have a "Rift Engine" which allows the portals to restablish the connection between dimensions. Your Skylander then lands inside a prison where Hugo, Flynn, Cali and several Mabu are held captive by Count Moneybone. (Returning from Swap Force 3DS) After escaping with the three NPCs, you see what Kaos was using to destroy and take over parts of Skykands. A giant head powered by the Darkness that is eating up everything in it's path! This is called the "Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction." A pre-recorded message from Eon plays, stating why the Superchargers were made: To pilot a special line of Rift Engine powered vehicles to stop Kaos and the Darkness if an atrocity like this ever happened.

This set of videos alone is giving me so much hype!

Now, if you're a Skylanders collector looking for some special figures at launch, listen up! Besides the Dark variants, more in-game variants are coming on the 20th!

At Toys R Us, you can get Legendary Hurricane Jet-Vac.  Legendaries have been a mainstay in the franchise since the very beginning and was always Toys R Us exclusives.

Legendary_Hurricane_Jet-Vac_package.jpg

At Target, you can get their signature variant line: The Nitros! Specifically, there's a variant Vehicle: Nitro Stealth Stinger. This is the only way to get Super Shot Stealth Elf's signature vehicle at launch.

23984724?wid=480&hei=480

At Best Buy, you can get Steel-Plated Smash Hit!

7906033_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=360;canvasWi

At Gamestop/EB Games, you can nab Frightful Fiesta!

skylanders-superchargers-frightful-fiest

Now let's talk Portal Owners Packs. If you don't want a new Starter Pack and don't mind missing out on Starter Pack exclusive figures, you can download the game from your console's online store! You can use your Portals from ANY game! According to Nintendo, it's $50. You get the full game and "Instant" versions of Spitfire and Hot Streak. (You need a Land Vehicle to even progress through the game, so that's why you get Hot Streak.) What's an Instant Skylander, you say? Well, it's a Skylander toy... without the toy. Introduced in the Mobile versions of Trap Team, they're fully functional Skylanders with unique color schemes that are pre-installed in the game itself.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/I89AzoPoSZk15XNAB1-U9qrPSWbisCqA

Here's some small, cool facts about Skylanders voices! A celebrity actor will be playing a Supercharger! Confirmed at E3, Josh Duhamel (who played Captain Lennox in the first three live-action Transformers films) will play the new Tech Supercharger: High Volt!

e3fc1a69f62c30028b78b1fd8dddb2f4-300x200

This adds a new person to Skylanders wide array of voice actors! Including Patrick Warburton (Flynn), Richard Horvitz (Kaos), George Takai (The Arkeyan Conquertron), Tara Strong (Flashwing), Cree Summers (Roller Brawl), Josh Keaton (Spyro), Kevin Sorbo (Crusher), Bobcat Goldthwait (Pop Fizz), Roger Craig Smith (Boom Jet and Bushwhack) and more!

Is there any info I'm missing that's important? @SpyroZap, @Forte-Metallix, @Ratcicle King?

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, sonicgirl313 said:

Sorry for the bump but something interesting has come up.

So basically Activision is Teaming Up with and Organization called "Autism Speaks" and has created special Blue and White Skylanders Superchargers figures.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/29/skylanders-teams-up-with-autism-speaks-for-autism-awareness

sscpwrblusplatblisterfinalpng-19d17a_765

Yup! Power Blue Splat, Power Blue Splatter Splasher, Power Blue Trigger Happy and Power Blue Gold Rusher!

Might as well state my opinions on this game now that it's bump. I love it. I really freaking love it. The story is the best in the series, the graphics are amazing, the fanservice is great and it's just a lot of fun! Also, this is a great jumping-in point for the series as 100% completing the levels only require a SuperCharger, a Land Vehicle, a Sea Vehicle and a Sky Vehicle!

Let's talk about the vehicles, since that is a very polaraizing part of the game for many fans. As a person who enjoys vehucle gameplay, I have so much fun with it. This game combines the hack-&-slash Skylandeds gameplay I know and love with enjoyable vehicle segments and races! The online is fun, but very quiet. It's hard to find someone who wants to play with you in terms of racing. But when I can race online, it's really fun. The controls are tight, the combat is satifisfying and there are many neat level mechanics to tinker with. I can't get enough of the Cap'n Cluck level.

I also like how Portal Master Powers and bonuses are handled in this game. It promotes tons of replayablility. Every item in chests are randomized, and there are hundreds of bonuses to collect, encouraging the player to replay stages over and over again for new surprises. (Either that, or buy them from the shop if you have a Skylander who's filthy stinking rich). Portal Master Powers are a neat edition. As you complete certain quests, finish missions or do other small things, you get rewarded with Stardust to increase your Portal Master Rank. Each Rank Up gets you the ability to choose certain powers that you can switch between on the fly. More XP? Elemental bonuses? The ability to have ALL Skylanders switch paths? That was a very welcome addition and it brings more playability to your old toys.

My only gripe with the game is a minor nitpick, which is the use of the Magic Items and Traps. In past games, placing them on the Portal Of Power gives you special powers for a limited time. Traps allow you to play as captured villains. In this game, Traps are relegated to Elemental ammo and Magic Items ars just small things you can place around the Academy for customization sake and money grinding as they spew out daily rewarss of treasure. Kind of a bummer, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay.

So yeah, I love this game and Vicarious Visions went all out and pulled out all the stops to make this the best Skylanders game yet in my opinion. Now, it's not for everyone, as it really depends on how you feel about vehicles in Skylanders, but I recommend it. Especially if you have an old Portal and toys, since you can download the game digitally.

Just now, Detective Reptiles said:

Fuck Autism Speaks, they're amongst the worse pieces of shit ever. 

Yeah, I have heard of them and how they seem to treat Autism like a sickness that can be cured. I like the figures, but not the cause.

28 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Fuck Autism Speaks, they're amongst the worst pieces of shit ever. 

Agreed, the figures look nice but I'm not going to buy them because of the Organization.

1 minute ago, sonicgirl313 said:

Agreed, the figures look nice but I'm not going to buy them because of the Organization.

I'd suggest buying them used if you want them. That's the path I'm going with, since I'm not gonna be supporting this.

• 2 months later...

so i bought spyro's adventure and giants a few days ago and after playing it some i've decided that i'll likely collect some of the figures

and since this is the skylanders topic i figured i'd ask you guys what are your favorite skylander's to play with? (from any of the games that were released)

5 hours ago, kirby1up said:

so i bought spyro's adventure and giants a few days ago and after playing it some i've decided that i'll likely collect some of the figures

and since this is the skylanders topic i figured i'd ask you guys what are your favorite skylander's to play with? (from any of the games that were released)

My favorite Skylanders? Well, my obvious favorite is Pop Fizz. Both his regular form and his SuperCharger version.

Some of my other favorites are Magna Charge, Trigger Happy, Stealth Elf and Spyro.