Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 2015

Hero of Legend

Yeah, the Developer Stories were definitely interesting and was fantastic to look into the game's conceptual origins... it just didn't have a place on the Digital Event. Treehouse or especially their YouTube channel would have been much better platforms for them. I remember the other day somebody mentioning how Digital Events are better than traditional conferences because the format cut the bullshit and filler so we got game after game, which I recognised and agreed with. But this wasn't true at all this time around - the developer stories, the whole Skylanders part, and even the Puppet skits (which were, yes, adorable and charming) felt like total filler. 

I honestly can't help but feel this was one of the worst conferences of this E3. I love Nintendo to pieces I really do, even if I'm cynical of them because I feel they get too much praise at times. But this event was just too disappointing. Yes, they put plenty of focus on games we'd be seeing this year. But when that line up is completely uninteresting and the star of the show relies on a Mario level creator it just doesn't look good. Star Fox opened strong and it fizzled out so, so quickly. Zelda U's absence left an extremely big hole here and I can't help but wonder why they couldn't put just a little thing together to show us where the game is now. 

Here's hoping next year is a lot better with a new console on the horizon. 

• Thumbs Up 6

This video perfectly cements my feelings towards this whole conference. Maybe not literally as much, but pretty close:

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Nintendo's direct was pretty boring but to be honest, we could had it a lot worse. I don't see the point for all the drama.

Personally, I'm just glad that we getting a STARFOX game. Not some random Real Time Strategy. Not some Zelda, Battlefield knockoff. For the first time in 18 years (not counting the remake) we're going to have an actual Star Fox game with actual STAR FOX gameplay.

Considering that Rail Shooting is dead, you have no idea how much that makes me happy.

Even though the Muppets intro was a pretty funny touch, Nintendo's E3 was ok/10. Not a whole lot to look for besides that Star Fox game, but other than that, there were quite a lot of Legend of Zelda games. Not to mention the lack of Wii U titles that I was kinda hoping for, especially Pokken Tournament, which looked pretty amazing from seeing the trailer and screenshots.

That Metroid Blast Ball game looked pretty cool, but seeing the immense about of hate it has been getting recently, I'll wait a bit and try out the demo if there is going to be one.

Incidentally the puppets were actually provided by the Jim Henson Company and the segments in the Digital Event was directed by Brian Henson.

Presentation values was on point for the show.

• Thumbs Up 8

My issue with the reactions is, what if Nintendo had dropped all its bombshells, all its major, exciting games for the next two years, you know what you would all be saying now? Boy those look cool, but Nintendo why are you making me wait so long, and where are the other games. Now mind you I'm not excusing them for leaving out Devil's Third or Fatal Frame 5, they really need to get awareness for those out, and for some reason they've been absent despite there being room for them both in the presentation or on the floor. Nintendo does not like announce mid tier projects without dates, and their current output means that unlike Sony they don't have third parties to pick up the slack. What makes me curious is that if these are what they have to show now, they must have some really interesting stuff in the pipeline they simply aren't ready to show just yet

• Thumbs Up 2

My issue with the reactions is, what if Nintendo had dropped all its bombshells, all its major, exciting games for the next two years, you know what you would all be saying now? Boy those look cool, but Nintendo why are you making me wait so long, and where are the other games. Now mind you I'm not excusing them for leaving out Devil's Third or Fatal Frame 5, they really need to get awareness for those out, and for some reason they've been absent despite there being room for them both in the presentation or on the floor. Nintendo does not like announce mid tier projects without dates, and their current output means that unlike Sony they don't have third parties to pick up the slack. What makes me curious is that if these are what they have to show now, they must have some really interesting stuff in the pipeline they simply aren't ready to show just yet

Yeah look at the criticism Sony is getting for Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7!

The fact that they decided to ignore Devil's Third, Fatal Frame 5 and stuff like Rodea, Fast Racing Neo or Bravely Second is beyond me. Zelda U would've gotten people excited, too. Heck, they didn't even bother subbing the #FE trailer.

• Thumbs Up 7

Incidentally the puppets were actually provided by the Jim Henson Company and the segments in the Digital Event was directed by Brian Henson.

Presentation values was on point for the show.

That is awesome! Makes me appreciate those puppet skits even more. <3

Makes me question once again why people are making such a big deal out of the Nintendo Digital Event? It wasn't ALL that bad, certainly not the next E3 2008. Sheesh.

The fact that they decided to ignore Devil's Third, Fatal Frame 5 and stuff like Rodea, Fast Racing Neo or Bravely Second is beyond me. Zelda U would've gotten people excited, too. Heck, they didn't even bother subbing the #FE trailer.

You mean games coming out in 2 years that are third party? Looks at Playstation's announcements, then remove all the third party (general and exclusive)  announcements and games coming out in a year or two years time, and it doesn't look very impressive either, and yes Shenmue 3 is third party. Heck one of their main sellers this year is No Man's Sky, which comes out on PC at the same time and is a limited exclusive

Yeah, Nintendo's pacing and game choices sucked a little, but on the other hand maybe they decided Devil's third needed a more concentrated campaign like Splatoon, or maybe not, only time will tell. But the other thing to think about is that all the new projects announced that are coming this year are side projects handled by sub teams, which makes me curious what they have in store next year with the primary teams(Retro, NLG's rumored wii-u game, etc). Heck, Star Fox Zero(which I think looks cool btw) is being developed by a small inhouse team with a collab with another studio for the ingame assets. I'm not saying they are making mistakes, but on the other hand, its not the worst E3 ever, and a lot of criticism is overblown and stemming from misdirected frustration

You mean games coming out in 2 years that are third party? Looks at Playstation's announcements, then remove all the third party (general and exclusive) announcements and games coming out in a year or two years time, and it doesn't look very impressive either, and yes Shenmue 3 is third party. Heck one of their main sellers this year is No Man's Sky, which comes out on PC at the same time and is a limited exclusive

Er, why would I do that? They were part of the conference, were they not?

And weren't we just talking how Nintendo would get backlash for announcing things far in advance, which is the reason I posted FF7 and Shenmue 3 as counterpoints?

Yeah, Nintendo's pacing and game choices sucked a little, but on the other hand maybe they decided Devil's third needed a more concentrated campaign like Splatoon, or maybe not, only time will tell. But the other thing to think about is that all the new projects announced that are coming this year are side projects handled by sub teams, which makes me curious what they have in store next year with the primary teams(Retro, NLG's rumored wii-u game, etc). Heck, Star Fox Zero(which I think looks cool btw) is being developed by a small inhouse team with a collab with another studio for the ingame assets. I'm not saying they are making mistakes, but on the other hand, its not the worst E3 ever, and a lot of criticism is overblown and stemming from misdirected frustration

Let's be real here. Nintendo isn't going to have some big marketing campaign for Devil's Third. They're going to send it to die, like with Wonderful 101.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NinEverything/status/611496786461597697?p=v

More discussion for you guys. I don't really have an opinion on it.

Also they should've announced a localization for Style Savvy 3. My sisters would've loved that.

Hey, yeah! I completely forgot about that. Really odd they wouldn't announce a localization.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Glad it was just an acknowledgement rather than a straight up apology to the whiners. Should wipe that smug grin off their faces.

NOA's twitter release list, is missing Devil's Third and Fatal Frame 5(which was at E3)

CHuxWOiWoAAc54j.jpg

Oh and Freedom planet, but that is an indie game

Hmm,,, only three games I really want on that list + Mario maker. Not much else.

So, here's a question: is it true the Animal Crossing amiibo Festival game is free to download (but to get the physical copy that, I assume, is bundled with some amiibo or something you do pay for it)?

I had seen some people speculate there would be a game specifically made for amiibo, though they had suggested a Nintendoland 2 type thing that would support a few franchises (which actually sounded like a really neat idea to me), not just AC. Seems weird to do that with an IP that--Smash!Villager and the amiibo cards aside--didn't have amiibo even announced until now.

So, here's a question: is it true the Animal Crossing amiibo Festival game is free to download (but to get the physical copy that, I assume, is bundled with some amiibo or something you do pay for it)?

I had seen some people speculate there would be a game specifically made for amiibo, though they had suggested a Nintendoland 2 type thing that would support a few franchises (which actually sounded like a really neat idea to me), not just AC. Seems weird to do that with an IP that--Smash!Villager and the amiibo cards aside--didn't have amiibo even announced until now.

I haven't figured it out, but I do believe that even though there are Amiibo for Animal Crossing (8 of them), they're all as cards, too. Still not sure if Amiibo Festival is actually a free download or a paid game. I have heard that two Amiibo will be packaged with the game, though.

I also think Zelda, DK, and Star Fox will be getting Amiibo lines next year.

Should wipe that smug grin off their faces.

How the can Nintendo owners who are angry and disappointed with what Nintendo offered them be sat there with smug grins on their face?

It's true enough they're getting praise right now, but you really need to think about the length of time people have to wait for those bombshells. The earliest either of those games will be seen is 2018, when people see them next year they'll be like "Oh, THIS again". It's great if you want to get the news out there that the games exist, but people do become quickly unimpressed due to long development cycles. But still, not showing the games they actually do have coming this year was incredibly baffling for Nintendo.

How the can Nintendo owners who are angry and disappointed with what Nintendo offered them be sat there with smug grins on their face?

Probably they felt like they got a win with their overly dramatic whining.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's true enough they're getting praise right now, but you really need to think about the length of time people have to wait for those bombshells. The earliest either of those games will be seen is 2018, when people see them next year they'll be like "Oh, THIS again". It's great if you want to get the news out there that the games exist, but people do become quickly unimpressed due to long development cycles. But still, not showing the games they actually do have coming this year was incredibly baffling for Nintendo.

Probably they felt like they got a win with their overly dramatic whining.

This, also look at Last Guardian and Duke Nukem, they were announced early, and both will/are released, but long gestation periods can have bad effects 

The only thing Nintendo gave me, as a Nintendo fan, was disappointment this E3. While Sony offered me lots of be excited for. The argument about how "Nintendo offered us titles we'd see 2015" versus "everyone else offered up more distant titles" can still just boil down to the fact Nintendo aren't offering me anything exciting this year outside of one or two nice reveals. The conference was flat out boring. I think it's also important to note that plenty of Sony's big announcements were landing next year.

This, also look at Last Guardian and Duke Nukem, they were announced early, and both will/are released, but long gestation periods can have bad effects 

I don't see The Last Guardian having an overall negative reception. If anything it brought hype. Anyways, you can't sell a game like that in a 7 minute gameplay demo.

You see, the difference here though is that I actually give a shit about those titles that are a long way off and have no problem waiting for them to be released, so that's an irrelevant issue. Nintendo didn't offer much for me to care about this year, plain and simple, so the fact that their games are coming out this year means nothing to me.

Hell, the only game I actually gave a shit about, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, isn't coming out until next year, so are you gonna tell me that also falls into "Well what's the point in waiting" argument too?

• Thumbs Up 3

SO. The reason why Zelda Wii U wasn't shown at E3 was because:

Reggie Fils-Aime: “It goes back to the statement i made earlier about how we view E3. We just fundamentally don’t believe in showing content at E3 that is going to be a long term proposition. We like to show content that typically will launch in the upcoming Holiday and maybe extending into the first half of the following year. And at this point, the new Zelda for Wii U is not a 2015 project."

Full interview here: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/18/e3-2015-why-nintendo-didnt-show-zelda-wii-u

If that was the case then why was Xenoblade shown about 2 E3's ago? Why was Zelda shown before this E3? Yeah I call bullshit on this one Reggie. Miyamoto clearly said that they even had "great Zelda footage to show"...

• Thumbs Up 3