Awoo.

Mega Man: The Legacy Collection - PS4, Xbox One, PC, 3DS

Wraith

The game came out today and reviews have been positive. For those that have it what do you think of it?

It's nice to see the game getting good reviews. I'm very tempted to pick it up, but I have no PS4. I might get it on 3DS if that version will get good scores, though it seems like it was made for consoles more than handhelds. Wish they had a Wii U version instead of 3DS. :L Now, I wonder if this game does well, is there a chance for a Mega Man X Legacy Collection? Because I'd buy that in a heartbeat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The game came out today and reviews have been positive. For those that have it what do you think of it?

The PC version is a buggy and mostly unplayable mess. For some users it works, for others it either appears corrupted (unreadable text, no menus, etc) or crashes outright.

If you're gonna buy it, get it on console.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't really been following this very much, but after seeing the positive reception, I think I may get this after all. If nothing else there's the convenience of having all six NES Mega Man games to load from my PS4, and also the extra content make the purchase seem justifiable, even with already owning most of these games through other means such as the Virtual Console or even the original cartridges.

Edited by mikeblastdude

I've completed Mega Man 1 & 2 on the PS4 version of Legacy Collection, and it's been pretty good so far. Mega Man 1 still had a few framerate issues, which honestly should be gone, but in general, everything's really responsive and works really well. Mega Man 2's issues seems to have been taken care of. I barely experienced any framerate issues, and the sprite flickering seems to be gone as well, but during the Wily Castle 4 boss, the sprite flickering was present, as well as some framerate issues.

As a request from @Spin Attaxx I made a video of the Mega Man 1 Database entries that's in Legacy Collection. 

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

So the guys over at Retro have pretty much figured out that this game is just a bunch of ROMs being run through an emulator. So all that spiel about the collection being entirely rewritten from the ground-up? A bald-faced lie.

While it does have Mostly Positive Reviews on Steam, most of it is starting to become negative. The game is an absolute mess on PC, almost to the extent where we can say it's basically Batman: Arkham Knight except less disappointing. There's input lag, menus don't show up, just what the hell?

This is fucking inexcusable nowadays. It's a emulated port job of NES classics, there's no way that can't be even remotely difficult to do on PC compared to consoles.

Edited by Inkling no Klonoa

So the guys over at Retro have pretty much figured out that this game is just a bunch of ROMs being run through an emulator. So all that spiel about the collection being entirely rewritten from the ground-up? A bald-faced lie.

That sounds right I livestreamed Mega Man 3 & 4 earlier, and the horrible framerate issues, and sprite flickering was there in full force, causing some big issues when fighting bosses and making jumps and such.

Im honestly not surprised considering that there's still sprite flickering and slow down

Im honestly not surprised considering that there's still sprite flickering and slow down

Were you present for my MM 3 or 4 livestream from Legacy Collection, I remember you wanted to know how the games played on Legacy Collection. Well, I can tell you first hand, every flickering issue, and every single framerate issue are present.

Was thinking of getting it for PC, since I don't have any of the other consoles it is on, then I hear how bad it is on PC.

How do you fuck up something as simple as an emulation?! I've seen NES emulators made by one person that play better than what I hear from this!

They just want to make PC Gamers feel terrible for being a PC Gamer and make them get a console. So many devs want to make us feel that way, too. No matter how hard they try, I am not shelling out $500 to play games normally! I love consoles, but come on!

Is Mega Man Legacy Collection made Mega Man 1-6 easier than the old ones? I heard it was difficult to play those games, excluding the iOS version of Mega Man 2.

Given that the studio behind it is partially comprised of the remnants of Backbone Entertainment (who hold their fair share of sloppy Genesis (Sonic) ports), I'm not too surprised about the emulation issues (especially the game being an unplayable mess on PC) or the fact that all that talk about being "rebuilt from scratch" was a load of flying bull told by both Capcom and the studio.

But PR porkies doesn't seem to have any impact on the perception of reviewers, because it's the classic MM games and --to the studio and Capcom's partial credit-- the compilation holds some admittedly neat extra features added.

Were you present for my MM 3 or 4 livestream from Legacy Collection, I remember you wanted to know how the games played on Legacy Collection. Well, I can tell you first hand, every flickering issue, and every single framerate issue are present.

Yeah I was there for 3 and I remember clearly because a played the game a couple weeks ago

Oh, and if you guys want further proof that it's a glorified emulator, someone over at Bumbleking found a screenshot of Fester's Quest running in Legacy Collection. It's a overglorified NES Emulator.

So, to clear up at least some misconceptions. It appears that the physics engine for TLC is built from the ground up, but the sound and graphics aren't. It's a weird programming snafu that they went for here.

I suppose to back this guy up, he's the one that hacked and found the data for Ryu and such in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 4

Of all the things they SHOULD have programmed, graphics is right on top of the list. I want to play these games without flicker or slowdown, so the fact that they didn't get ironed out in the conversion frustrates me. I might as well grab the originals on a digital service elsewhere.

Edited by Sean

Decided to get this on my Xbone (yes, I have one now despite my initial misgivings. Blame Rare Replay) because I wanted to support Mega Man.

While I still prefer the Anniversary Collection, I do think this is neat in its own way. Besides, it's nice to see the games on the PS4 and Xbone.

I've been playing the Xbox version since midnight and everything you've heard about this collection is true.

That's not reassuring given what I've heard from the speedrunning community on twitch is you're lucky to get the PC version running and the console versions have really bad input lag, way more than the NES ever did.

• 2 months later...

The 3DS Version comes with two 3DS themes (at least in Japan)! And both of them are quite awesome, imo.

l_563abc7923382.jpg             l_563abc7930e39.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

So while NA and JP both get a physical release and even a Special Edition, Capcom confirmed that the EU will get the game digital only.

So yeah, not gonna pick this up anymore. *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 1