Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Well, I hope they take this extra time to make more than just a mediocre game. Not that I was expecting this game to be "terrible" in the first place. Besides,  I think a whole year without a console sonic game is for the best. Especially after all the shit the series got last year. 

If Sega is adopting the "delaying games for high quality", whether it's on a sonic boom game or not, this is a good sign for the future. 

*Reads the days replies.*

Ok am I the only one who is not buying this for one second!?

How the hell are you all going along with this. For years we've had guys like Simon Jeffery, Ken Balough and Stephen Frost reading from a script sometimes deliberately misleading and sometimes out right lying to us regarding the state of a game and expectations.

For all the good Ruby is doing, that is blatantly from someone elses script. And what exactly does any of it mean? Really what does it mean?

We're adding polish... to what!? They've not shown ANYTHING!

"We've delayed the game to add polish to it... what... no you can't see what it curently looks like..! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

I think you are the only person. Sucks doesn't it? 

Jokes aside. Who knows? Maybe they really need the extra time. Maybe it was really unpolished. Maybe they want to improve the game before showing more of it. Although them not showing anything for months and then delaying it does sound fishy too.

I have no clue to be honest. So it's best for me to just to sit back and watch as it unfolds.

Hogfather, calm down. With the extra time they've got, they've got plenty of time to show stuff off. Just be patient. 

Edited by Operationgamer17

Now we have "We're adding more polish" and nearly everybody is saying "Whoa better quality." What the hell are you basing that off!?

I don't think there's one single person here that said this instantly means better quality. The logic is that them delaying it in order to in some way work on it isn't going to make the final product any worse. At best they really will improve it in some ways, at worst it will stay the same and likely turn out competent but forgettable.

Why is it such a bad thing for people to find some optimism in a game that they have been either been cautiously optimistic or indifferent about.

You said it yourself, we know next to nothing about the game. We don't know how it plays, we don't know how true their earlier statements about taking on feedback are. The most concrete information we've had in months is this delay which follows not too long after SEGA's own CEO said he'd rather not release anything than release a product not up to snuff with quality.

I can see why you're taking the stance that you are. It's a completely valid one and I totally respect it. But you can't then turn around and give people a hard time over this when we all have as little information as each other. People will have different outlooks on ever situation, some look for positives and others debate the negatives. Neither are wrong, it's all subjective.

Edited by LiamTheAnimator
  • Thumbs Up 2

*Reads the days replies.*

Ok am I the only one who is not buying this for one second!?

How the hell are you all going along with this. For years we've had guys like Simon Jeffery, Ken Balough and Stephen Frost reading from a script sometimes deliberately misleading and sometimes out right lying to us regarding the state of a game and expectations.

For all the good Ruby is doing, that is blatantly from someone elses script. And what exactly does any of it mean? Really what does it mean?

We're adding polish... to what!? They've not shown ANYTHING!

"We've delayed the game to add polish to it... what... no you can't see what it curently looks like..! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

We've not even seen the villain of the game outside of a render! The only thing we've seen is 1 trailer using alpha assets. Good god I would hope the final product looks better than that!

We should be so past this "I have hope" stance, for gods sake, demand more from the companies you support! You are paying these people often and upwards of hundreds a year for games which have been steadily decreasing in quality and pr which has been increasingly misleading.

Now we have "We're adding more polish" and nearly everybody is saying "Whoa better quality." What the hell are you basing that off!?

We have seen nothing since the announcement, we have been shown nothing since the announcement. But apparently it's better than the last one and is going to be better because polish...

SO DEMAND TO BE SHOWN IT! You want my preorder... no screw that. Nothing so far justifies a pre order. You want any money for the final game bloody well show that it's not having problems and that it's turning out well or that it is progressing as with what little information there is on the game... SHOW IT!

I get that you dont like the game but just dont take it THAT serious if people re wanting to give the game a chance. Its their choice and money as well.

I just want to pop in and remind everyone that Sonic 4: Episode 1 also got a delay. So...

With that being said, I think a delay could still be a good sign. I haven't really, at any point, had any interest at all in this game, but it's still good to see.

I just want to pop in and remind everyone that Sonic 4: Episode 1 also got a delay. So...

so what? That was more than 5 yrs ago and like others have said the CEO wanted to improve quality. If it is still sh** after this delay then yeah your comment has a point till then I say again

so what?

In any case, I don't anybody is suggesting that this delay has a significant chance of the quality of the game actually improving.  I think what most of us are saying is that it at least gives us something to hope for.  Like, maybe if Hell freezes over between now and then maybe they will I don't know.  At least, that's how it is to me.  When I say I doubt the delay will mean anything, I mean I think the game will probably sit on a shelf for a few more months and then be released pretty much exactly as it was before the delay. But like, I kind of just want to hope that they actually will put some sort of effort into making at least a few decent adjustments and not just downplaying the Metroidvania elements and collectibles.

• Thumbs Up 4

so what? That was more than 5 yrs ago and like others have said the CEO wanted to improve quality. If it is still sh** after this delay then yeah your comment has a point till then I say again

so what?

The point they're making is that Sega has a weird habit of not practicing what they're preaching. With the fiasco that was Sonic 4 in mind, coupled with how even with this delay news, they still haven't actually shown any new material with Fire and Ice, I'd say people are perfectly justified with being wary on how the delay will have any effect, beneficial or otherwise, on the game's final quality.

• Thumbs Up 5

I get that you dont like the game but just dont take it THAT serious if people re wanting to give the game a chance. Its their choice and money as well.

Yeah and people like that need to get a reality check and realise that mentality is foolish and frankly damaging to future titles.

I see people on here and the Sega forums saying "What about my preorder?" Your preorder!? What he hell did you preorder?

You have been shown nothing to suggest the game justifies any price tag yet you're willing to say 'Hey Sega, your last few games were naff and you won't show this game but that'd ok here take my money!'  You preordered and bought these games because you think you can trust these companies. 

Now you're being told "Well just wait and we'll make it better" fucking prove it. Stop being god damn sheep every time a new Sonic game is announced and get some standards as to what you should expect.

Every single person who bought Rise of Lyric day 1 and every single person who has this preordered or who has given Sega money for Runners has said 'it's ok to do this! I'll buy it and support you'.

Stop supporting this trust in me attitude from Sega, get them to earn your trust and right now. No material, no demos,  no press days,  but a 'we swear it'll be good'/'it's actually good news' is not the sign of a company who has confidence in it's product, it's one who is misleading you and trying to hide the final product.

If this were a Kickstarter or an indi game project which were doing this you would be far more critical of this attitude and how they've not shown a thing and you know it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah and people like that need to get a reality check and realise that mentality is foolish and frankly damaging to future titles.

I see people on here and the Sega forums saying "What about my preorder?" Your preorder!? What he hell did you preorder?

They preoredered a game with a similar forumla to Shattered Crystal...along with amy and the fire and ice powers.

You have been shown nothing to suggest the game justifies any price tag yet you're willing to say 'Hey Sega, your last few games were naff and you won't show this game but that'd ok here take my money!'  You preordered and bought these games because you think you can trust these companies.

The only bad game in the last period of time was Rise of Lyric. Sonic Lost World was great...new doesnt mean bad, also Shattered Crystal was a really decent game, the only problems were the exploration beign  nedded to progress and the 100% reward beign...weird...

Now you're being told "Well just wait and we'll make it better" fucking prove it. Stop being god damn sheep every time a new Sonic game is announced and get some standards as to what you should expect.

Every single person who bought Rise of Lyric day 1 and every single person who has this preordered or who has given Sega money for Runners has said 'it's ok to do this! I'll buy it and support you'.

Stop supporting this trust in me attitude from Sega, get them to earn your trust and right now. No material, no demos,  no press days,  but a 'we swear it'll be good'/'it's actually good news' is not the sign of a company who has confidence in it's product, it's one who is misleading you and trying to hide the final product.

Sense it's being delayed til next year, perhaps we will see more info on the game next year. With a gameplay vids, new info, and even a demo? By then, I think people will already have sense of what the game will be. Also, isn't that why we haven't see much of it this year? When did they decided that it should delayed? Two months ago? Yesterday? 

The people who already preordered the game are probably the people who liked the first one. Kinda like how I preorder sequels to my favorite books without even seeing page of it. Bad habit? Maybe. 

Edited by CottonCandy

Sense it's being delayed til next year, perhaps we will see more info on the game next year.`

Why have we not already seen it!?

The target launch for this was at some point around late October to November. By now we should have seen it at multiple conventions, there should have been a 2nd trailer for starters, the press vault should be full of press material. No new screenshots, no trailer, no press impression, no 'lets get some random youtube guy in to play it' there has been NOTHING, yet this was supposed to be out in just over a month.

We should have information about the game already. 

The only reason we wouldn't get information is if the game was in development hell, yet people are still defending it and throwing money at it. What are you defending and throwing money at, show me something that Sega have released which justifies any defence or an order? Good luck with that, you have one dodgy trailer and a handful of screenshots.

They preoredered a game with a similar forumla to Shattered Crystal...along with amy and the fire and ice powers.

"Hey kids, I got a new toy, it's just like that old toy you like... but better! No you can't see it, but feel free to pre-order it!"

This is blind faith.

• Thumbs Up 3

I meant that people who liked the SC formula will enjoy this game as it adds more things

How is it the same god damn game if it adds things!? How do you know it's the same game when all you've seen is an alpha trailer!

We know nothing about the game so you can't come to conclusions like that, because they've not shown anything. 

I have a very simple question. Feckt, or whatever his name is... what does he sound like? Bare in mind game was due out originally next month. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why have we not already seen it!?

The target launch for this was at some point around late October to November. By now we should have seen it at multiple conventions, there should have been a 2nd trailer for starters, the press vault should be full of press material. No new screenshots, no trailer, no press impression, no 'lets get some random youtube guy in to play it' there has been NOTHING, yet this was supposed to be out in just over a month.

We should have information about the game already. 

If my memory is right, what about that gameplay demonstration at that sonic event? Sure, I think it was a couple of minutes but it was something. If people want to preorder a game without seeing much of it then that's them. lol I can't do anything about it. *shrugs*

I will be honest I like SC and enjoyed it for what is was. I didn't pay full price for it. But I wouldnt pre order fire and ice. I do eventually want to get it but I wouldn't blindly preorder it. And to be real the only game I preordered was DKCR about two weeks shy of release cuz I wanted the banana wii mote case at gamestop for preordering.

I didnt say it was the same game, i said it uses the same formula..as in the trailer we can see that they have the same abilities

How is it the same god damn game if it adds things!? How do you know it's the same game when all you've seen is an alpha trailer!

We know nothing about the game so you can't come to conclusions like that, because they've not shown anything. 

I have a very simple question. Feckt, or whatever his name is... what does he sound like? Bare in mind game was due out originally next month. 

even if the game was due next month. This decision must hhave not been spur of the moment. Which is why we havent seen anything

I don't see anybody in this topic who is claiming the game will automatically be better due to the delay. You're the only person here who is getting worked up over this news either way, Hogfather

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, I'll gladly admit that the PR handling on this game is terrible/non-existent and that something should've been posted at some point just to show how the game was coming along, regardless of the update, and there's no guarantee that Fire & Ice will be any better for its delay. That much is true.

But that's an issue to be criticizing SEGA for, Hogfather; not the people who want to play the game or pre-order it.

It may be strange that people will believe a company that's had a bad track record for fixing their mistakes, but telling people who still want to play the game for whatever reason to 'get a reality check' more or less puts you into the same pile of twats who dismiss bad business practices on Steam by saying people should've done their research before buying anything, instead of criticizing the idiots responsible for the bad business practices

It's an anti-consumer pile of bullshit that forces fans to do things they shouldn't have to do in order to enjoy a good video game, and pointlessly shames people who want to be enthusiastic for something or want to give it a try. Even if there's been nothing said otherwise about the game since its announcement, people should still be allowed to do whatever they like. That's the whole idea of free will - letting people make their own choices, and letting them learn something from the consequences, for better or worse.

Honestly, Hogfather, I usually like reading the stuff you say, and I think you've got something interesting to add to this whole Boom mess. But who the hell are you to criticize people for wanting to play a game, regardless of anything else? For fuck's sake.

With the terrible rep that the Sonic Boom games have gotten since its inception, and how SEGA have kept hush-hush about it since the alpha trailer and we know virtually nothing about it, a Sonic Boom game is the last Sonic related game I'll blindly follow and buy day 1.

So yeah I'm siding with Hogfather, and think that if less people pre-ordered the game and bought it day 1 to see what its like first like watching YouTube, and then possibly be put off, it has to send a signal to SEGA or we'll envision they'll make more Boom games for Nintendo. Sonic Team having to dig themselves out of a hole that someone else dug.

Edited by Fancy

Yeah, I agree with Hogfather as well. He has a solid point. It doesn't matter if they delayed it. The simple fact that it was only two months away from release without any kind of announcements or new stuff from it isn't a good sign, and I'm not going to start calling this "higher quality" until I'm shown proof that it is higher quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest I'm not sure what to expect. Like others said we've done this dance before with Sonic 4 episode 1. And I recall episode 2 was scheduled to be released for 2011 but got delayed due to generations and I believe they wanted to make improvements and we all know how that turned out. I want to believe that SEGA is going to start improving but then again they claimed they would after they took down every mediocre received sonic game off store shelves. Who knows?

But that's an issue to be criticizing SEGA for, Hogfather; not the people who want to play the game or pre-order it.

It may be strange that people will believe a company that's had a bad track record for fixing their mistakes, but telling people who still want to play the game for whatever reason to 'get a reality check' more or less puts you into the same pile of twats who dismiss bad business practices on Steam by saying people should've done their research before buying anything, instead of criticizing the idiots responsible for the bad business practices

Hey guys, I know my last toy gave you electric shocks, but at least it doesn't yell out racist jokes like the one before that did. 

But I have a new toy coming out next week which is my best yet. Will you pre-order it? 

Will you pre-order it? You will! Oh Thank you! I swear we've fixed the tobacco problem on this one. 

===========================

You do nothing but encourage this kind of business practice.

• Thumbs Up 2