Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

*Reads the days replies.*

Ok am I the only one who is not buying this for one second!?

How the hell are you all going along with this. For years we've had guys like Simon Jeffery, Ken Balough and Stephen Frost reading from a script sometimes deliberately misleading and sometimes out right lying to us regarding the state of a game and expectations.

For all the good Ruby is doing, that is blatantly from someone elses script. And what exactly does any of it mean? Really what does it mean?

We're adding polish... to what!? They've not shown ANYTHING!

"We've delayed the game to add polish to it... what... no you can't see what it curently looks like..! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

We've not even seen the villain of the game outside of a render! The only thing we've seen is 1 trailer using alpha assets. Good god I would hope the final product looks better than that!

We should be so past this "I have hope" stance, for gods sake, demand more from the companies you support! You are paying these people often and upwards of hundreds a year for games which have been steadily decreasing in quality and pr which has been increasingly misleading.

Now we have "We're adding more polish" and nearly everybody is saying "Whoa better quality." What the hell are you basing that off!?

We have seen nothing since the announcement, we have been shown nothing since the announcement. But apparently it's better than the last one and is going to be better because polish...

SO DEMAND TO BE SHOWN IT! You want my preorder... no screw that. Nothing so far justifies a pre order. You want any money for the final game bloody well show that it's not having problems and that it's turning out well or that it is progressing as with what little information there is on the game... SHOW IT!

FLIM-FLAM! SHENANIGANS! CONSPIRACY! 

Dude. It's a 3DS game based on a children's cartoon, a sequel to the mediocre Shattered Crystal and it has a trailer so you already got a good idea what it's gonna look and play like. Take off the tin foil hat already.

I didn't exactly have high expectations to begin with, so any delay to fix things can only be an improvement and make me feel better about where the overall product is headed.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'll just throw it out there.

Anyone else think Sega delayed it to 2016 so they can have a handheld game to release alongside the 25th Anniversary Game? I mean, Sega's been doing that for years with every console Sonic game, so it wouldn't be too surprising if they ended up doing it for the 25th Anniversary Game as well.

Nah some there will be a handheld verison of the console anniversary title. Which in the endless sonic life cycle will get critisized to death as well.

Good of them to delay it. I doubt it'll stop the game from sucking, though.

We're getting Mario & Sonic, no?

I dunno. It's not even a proper side title like the Storybooks, Boom, etc. It's a cash-in with no plot that just kind of throws Mario and Sonic and friends into the real world for a few sports activities.

Also, it itself has a tentative release date, doesn't it? Muhahaha, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed too.

Much like Fire & Ice, I haven't seen it anywhere. I could understand Nintendo not caring to show off Fire & Ice even if it was coming out this year, but pushing their mascot to the back of the line at big shows like E3? Seems uncharacteristic.

By which I mean, there was no play demo on the E3 floor. It looks like they did a very small release for E3, but it's generic information.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/09/gamefly-lists-sonic-boom-fire-ice-3ds-for-dec-31-2016-in-na/

Sure enough, yep. Looks like Rio was bumped back to 2016 as well.

So we have THREE games next year. Holy crap. It's gonna be like the Chronicles/Unleashed/Black Knight splurge all over again.

Edited by Ty the Tasmanian Ogilvie

So we have THREE games next year. Holy crap. It's gonna be like the Chronicles/Unleashed/Black Knight splurge all over again.

It's the year of Sonic!  Again!

Count me as one of those seeing the willingness to delay a game as a potentially good sign but which we can only truly judge once we see the effects of the delay on the game itself in a few months.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, SB: F&I was delayed to 2016 because Sega needs to make the game "higher quality" than SB: SC!? Oh, I get it.

Personally, I don't think that it couldn't happen. It could not come true.

Btw, let's watch this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Af3Q2ECNh1U

What's wrong with Shattered Crystals' most cutscenes?

Yep. Both Boom Sonic & Boom Shadow have only six spikes on their heads instead of 9 & 8, respectively.

This is why Sega needs to make SB: F&I "higher quality" than SB: SC.

Sanzaru Games knows what they are doing, I actually have faith in them not messing up this one, even if it's not a great game, trust me, this decision could actually improve their workflow and polish on the game.

And yes, I heavily disagree with Hogfather about the impact, because so what? let them do it, there has to be a pace of change, even if S4 EP1 was delayed, but that was a different team... 

, there has to be a pace of change,

A change of pace from nothing to something would certainly be welcome.

So, SB: F&I was delayed to 2016 because Sega needs to make the game "higher quality" than SB: SC!? Oh, I get it.

Yep. Both Boom Sonic & Boom Shadow have only six spikes on their heads instead of 9 & 8, respectively.

Yes. That's why. Spikes.

The number of spikes are like, very important...for stuff. Affects gameplay completely.

• Thumbs Up 3

maybe while their at it they can give Sonic his peach arms back. To could take them a good four months to fix.

You know, I was too focused on how horrid the dialogue was to notice.

Sanzaru Games knows what they are doing, I actually have faith in them not messing up this one, even if it's not a great game, trust me, this decision could actually improve their workflow and polish on the game.

And yes, I heavily disagree with Hogfather about the impact, because so what? let them do it, there has to be a pace of change, even if S4 EP1 was delayed, but that was a different team... 

What is there to go off of these guys to gain our trust? They're last game was really meh at best, and this title isn't seeming like much better. Unless they do a huge overhaul I don't see what this delay will do to massively improve it. People are fair to be sceptic or not have much faith that much will change. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I was too focused on how horrid the dialogue was to notice.

This is one thing I don't really get? What made Shattered Crystal's dialogue more horrible than per say, Colors, in which its dialogue is 80% forced and really lame jokes. Like yeah, the piece of meat comment and some random stuff Sticks say were just "wut?" but I certainly enjoyed the game's story. 

Shadow in this game is very well in-character, he's a lot more like his calm and collected self but he's also ruthless and vengeful and of course, has that classic ego that he's better than Sonic.

I also had a nice laugh at some of the jokes like this one:

It might just be me and my standards for comedy is pretty low but hey, it's not rock bottom since Colors' humor is pretty juvenile.

Again, not seeing how SC's script is bad.

I feel like Shattered Crystal's script is considerably more... padded.  Even with as many jokes that Colors laid out time after time again, at least the plot, as simplistic as it was, progressed through dialogue.  I feel like the overwhelming majority of Shattered Crystal's cutscenes boil down to three jokes one after another, then a character simply telling you what's happening, and then maybe some more jokes.  It didn't really connected to the events at hand.

Edited by Tara

I feel like Shattered Crystal's script is considerably more... padded.  Even with as many jokes that Colors laid out time after time again, at least the plot, as simplistic as it was, progressed through dialogue.  I feel like the overwhelming majority of Shattered Crystal's cutscenes boil down to three jokes one after another, then a character simply telling you what's happening, and then maybe some more jokes.  It didn't really connected to the events at hand.

When you put it that way, I can sort of see it. The comedy doesn't reflect what's going on in the story even though Colors' humor wasn't great at doing that either but it helps that Pontaff weren't as tight on SC's script than in Colors so it still doesn't help me understand why SC is considered the worst Pontaff wrote though...

For my part, I can't help but think Knuckles' face looks really fat in Shattered Crystal's cutscene there. Is it just me, or...? It just seems like his cheeks are bulging, like he's mid-swallow with a bunch of whatever stuffed in his mouth.

For my part, I can't help but think Knuckles' face looks really fat in Shattered Crystal's cutscene there. Is it just me, or...? It just seems like his cheeks are bulging, like he's mid-swallow with a bunch of whatever stuffed in his mouth.

You're right.  Both Boom games seemed to have serious problems making the characters' mouths look right half the time.

The character models in Shattereed Crystal are just really bad, so it's not just you.  Everyone just looks so awful in it.

I'm going to guess that you guys are talking about the in-game models and the ones that appear in the CG scenes. To be really honest, they looks fine though Knux's cheeks are weird.

I mean, can you really hate this face?

dbyOgSY.jpg

That's the proper mix of cool and adorableness!

Well then again, Sonic games on the 3DS were pretty pixelated so I don't really see how this issue is only noticeable in Shattered Crystal and that also really doesn't tell me how they look "awful", only Knuckles' cheeks are bothersome but outside of that, they looks fine.

Shattered Crystal's graphics were always a bit weird to me. The models kind of look like Sonic Chronicles's models, but better constructed. I think my problem is that the colors are saturated as all hell. Sonic's peach coloring is straight up orange in this game, possibly yellow and it looks slightly fugly. And yeah, Knuckles' face is bloated. It's strange because both the Wii U and 3DS games get his eyes wrong, too. Knuckles' eyes in the show are more square-looking and he has a more flattened brow, but the games give him his squinty SegaSonic eyes.

Example of what I mean:

knuckles__sonic_boom__by_sonamy115-d87b2 Knuckles_Lost_World.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they look pixelly and weird.  It looks fine for original DS standards, but for the new, state of the art 3DS... not so much.

State of the art? You do know that the 3DS has been out for four years, right?

Edited by shdowhunt60