Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Am I the only one who's worried that this game being released next year means it could be overshadowed by (Assuming there is one) Sonic's 25th anniversary title?

If the cartoon and social media worked up some magic it might be able to sell somewhat, but the Sonic Boom games suffered horribly in sales last year as it is and with factors such as the terrible lack of marketing Fire & Ice has been getting compared to other Sonic games I just can't see it doing too well if a main series title is announced next year.

Of course, they could remedy the overshadowing problem by releasing Fire & Ice before announcing any new titles, but then there's the matter of how far they're willing to go into the year and delay other products in order to ensure Fire & Ice doesn't get a buggy and rushed release (which the Sonic Boom series certainly could do without). In this case, the later the release, the less time they have to announce and market the other title.

Kind of a tough position to be in, really.

I don't think enough people care about it in the first place to worry about it being overshadowed. I routinely forget the game is even supposed to exist, and the complete lack of promotion on Sega's part isn't helping.

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't think enough people care about it in the first place to worry about it being overshadowed. I routinely forget the game is even supposed to exist, and the complete lack of promotion on Sega's part isn't helping.

I don't know why SEGA don't just cancel it. it's probably going to bomb. Let's be honest.

because there probably is work done on it already. they might as well just wait until season 2 of the show is out and release the game with it

• Thumbs Up 1

Quite.  They wouldn't have bothered delaying the game if they didn't care about its performance and just wanted to send it out to die.  Instead, they actively chose to increase the amount of work spent on it, which also means increasing the budget.  That suggests that the game is indeed important to them on some level - for my money, I would imagine they want it to be seen as more than just a mediocre licensed spin-off of the sort that would do little for Sonic's reputation even if it were quite good.

At any rate, as far as overshadowing goes, that partly depends on what consoles the hypothetical 25th anniversary game will even release on.  If there's no 3DS counterpart, even no Nintendo counterpart, then there's no competition.  Otherwise they could just give it six months' advance, which should be enough.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been thinking. Since it's likely that we won't know anything on Fire and Ice until next year, what do you think about it being pushed back a bit farther to coincide with season 2 of the TV show, since that's been confirmed. 

If the second season starts the same time as season 1 did - not very likely, considering they'd be sending it out to die in the flames of the next main game.

Unless you really want to say Fire and Ice will be the only game next year...

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2015 at 1:55 PM, The KKM said:

because there probably is work done on it already.

haha, I can't be the only one who saw that and thought - most of the work done on it already was what got re-purposed from the first game.

Honestly, unless they tear down and rebuild the entire look and feel of fire and ice, its not going to escape the Shattered Crystal 1.5 shadow. SC was the definition of a meh game, so thats not exactly going to bode well for any SC follow-ups.

I can see them sitting on this one until Season 2 to the show. The game can only benefit from the overly positive impact of the TV series (that will help in sales) and so long as there is no major Sonic game on the 3DS on the way, there shouldn't be too much cannibalization going on. Heck, you might even get a touch of synergy, especially if that other Sonic game is good/popular.

• Thumbs Up 1

You'd think with all of the time they have now that they've delayed the game it's gonna be good but I see alot of people being pessimistic about this even though it hasn't even released yet. Speaking of the release, when I looked up the game on amazon last night to pre-order it, it had had a release date of July 29th 2016. I like the look of the ice gimmick because it appears as though you can actually go fast but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Remember though, don't judge a book by its cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Vegeta The Lame One said:

Remember though, don't judge a book by its cover.

Eh, all too true, and that is a good virtue to live by.

But at the same time, everything we have seen so far about Fire and Ice looks all too similar to what we got out of Shattered Crystal. What we have seen about the game looks to be more of the same, with the addition of Amy, some superpowers, and boss battles. All things that don't fix the core of the problem which made the first one so..... meh. 

This is less of judging a book by its cover, and griping about a sequel that for all intents and purposes looks like its headed for the same fate as the original.

13 hours ago, Vegeta The Lame One said:

You'd think with all of the time they have now that they've delayed the game it's gonna be good but I see alot of people being pessimistic about this even though it hasn't even released yet. Speaking of the release, when I looked up the game on amazon last night to pre-order it, it had had a release date of July 29th 2016. I like the look of the ice gimmick because it appears as though you can actually go fast but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Remember though, don't judge a book by its cover.

This implies there's actually anything to judge though :V 

Like for real, there's been literally nothing about this game, I'm surprised some people even still care about it.

10 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

This implies there's actually anything to judge though :V 

Like for real, there's been literally nothing about this game, I'm surprised some people even still care about it.

Some people liked Shattered Crystal and want to see them improve on it. As for me I'm curious as to why they haven't shown anything since it's announcement.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Some people liked Shattered Crystal and want to see them improve on it. As for me I'm curious as to why they haven't shown anything since it's announcement.

They showed some gameplay in Japan around August.

IT'S

ALIIIIIIIIIIVE

I wonder what took 'em so long. Been ages since we heard anything on it.

So the game is still alive, eh?

Still not gonna buy it day one, though. Probably when it inevitably goes on clearence.

I personally won't play the game (I tried the other Boom titles and didn't care for them), but I hope for the sake of the Boom fans that Sega actually delayed the game to improve it and not just so they can release it along side Season 2 of the show.

Hm. Looks like there are more speedy bits this go round, though the platforming and combat are still stiff. Eh, considering it's Sonic Boom, it doesn't look all that bad, actually. Not the kind of Sonic I care for, but I hope it does well. 

15 minutes ago, Shadzter said:

I just want to mention, that this Footage isn't from the latest "Sonic Appreciation Event". This Footage is 6 month old now and was shown on the Tokjo Joypolis Event in June 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHTdzQXMCkw

• Thumbs Up 5

Wow, I mean, I'm really astound by the ability to use Fire at Fire thing and Ice at Ice thing. What an exciting game mechanic.

Sarcasm aside, the controls look much, much smoother than they did in the previous game, so there's that.

Eh, doesn't look any different from when it was shown off earlier last year. Looks awfully similar to an earlier demo of the game, as well, as I remember getting frustrated with how often the player kept switching between fire and ice for no reason.

Good to know that it's still coming, though; out of the two handheld Boom games this one seems the more interesting.

3 minutes ago, SonicWindBlue said:

I just want to mention, that this Footage isn't from the latest "Sonic Appreciation Event". This Footage is 6 month old now and was shown on the Tokjo Joypolis Event in June 2015.

marvin.PNG

Allow me to redact my previous post, then

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, SonicWindBlue said:

I just want to mention, that this Footage isn't from the latest Sonic Appreciation Event. This Footage is 6 month old now and was shown on the Tokjo Joypolis Event in June 2015.

Bah, I was literally trying to post this but the page kept sending me back to the video (the forum now has a nasty habit in that if you click or press the spacebar on a text with a link in the post box, it will take you directly to the link >.<).

But yeah, what SonicWindBlue said. It's not new footage, and I wouldn't be surprised if the game wasn't at the Sonic Appreciation Event at all. False alarm, everybody.

11 minutes ago, SonicWindBlue said:

tumblr_inline_o03q89Htji1teu2ge_540.gif

well im out. take it up with my manager when the game actually is alive 

• Thumbs Up 8

33 minutes ago, SonicWindBlue said:

Damn. Sorry, guys :(