Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

3 minutes ago, Tara said:

If we're talking about Flynn here, I'd rather he start writing the series if they went a whole new direction altogether than picking up on an anniversary title of all things.

And if we are talking about Flynn here, I'd also like to ask that we keep that discussion in the Pontac and Graff retrospective thread, so that we don't have the same arguments happening in two different parts of the board. XD

As it rather frequently happens.

I have to agree. As much as I would like to see Ian Flynn take the same sort of narrative direction with the games as he has take with the comics, I don't think that waving the magic Ian Flynn wand is going to magically fix all the narrative problems this series experiences. For one, Sonic Team needs to actually WORK with him.

I could pinpoint a lot of the bad writing for the past several years towards Pontac and Graff, but a lot of it is because of the fact that there's a pretty damn severe disconnect between the game's story and the game itself. In short, it's Sonic Team's fault for a bulk of the bad writing, and not just Pontaff. And that's the sort of thing that's not going to fixed with Ian Flynn.

That said, I actually would ike to not only see Flynn on board, but also Maekawa. I think they both have talents that could compliment each other. Like, both are good at making you give a shit, but Maekawa is really good at it.  Even in 06, which is probably the dumbest story that's ever graced this series is incredibly stupid, it's engagingly so. I think that's where Maekawa's talents lie. Maekawa's shortcomings usually tend to be on the plot side of things, and I think that's where Ian is better at. Not perfect, but better.

Where I think Ian succeeds in, is where Sonic historically struggled, is things like world-building. Ian's good at making things work in a cohesive universe. The way I sort of imagine it is, that Ian could make a good backbone for a story while Maekawa fleshes things out.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. A boy can fantasize.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

If it got delayed a year this game better be at least 8s in reviews.

I honestly want whatever anniversary title we get this year and I hope this doesn't hamper on it. 

I want my anniversary game on the 3DS or NX if it's released this year. That or the PC, especially if classic/pixel sonic is the main focus 

Well, off topic here, but I'm really surprised that Modern Sonic is actually Adventure Sonic now too. What the hell? O_o

Oh, I thought I posted in cartoon topic where the news were posted. Sorry. :blush:

1 minute ago, Spееdy said:

Well, off topic here, but I'm really surprised that Modern Sonic is actually Adventure Sonic now too. What the hell? O_o

Welcome to 2011

On a side note, is it really right to say "delayed" when we never got confirmation of when it was coming out after the initial delay?

1 minute ago, Cola said:

I'm glad they seem to be taking the quality of the game seriously. Maybe it'll be good enough for me to buy.

You mean just like how Duke Nukem 3D took quality seriously?

All right, that was unnecessarily bleak. But I stand by it. I remain skeptical. I'd like to know what exactly took them a years worth of delays, for what ultimately was a game that just uses the same damned engine?

I hope Sanzaru are actually devoting time and attention to the game and didn't just put it off as some speculated. I know they just out out that Tron running game, but still I hope they actually make it as good as they can.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

You mean just like how Duke Nukem 3D took quality seriously?

All right, that was unnecessarily bleak. But I stand by it. I remain skeptical. I'd like to know what exactly took them a years worth of delays, for what ultimately was a game that just uses the same damned engine?

Well, wasn't the initial delay because Sanzaru wasn't even working on the game? I'll give SEGA props for wanting to hold the game back long enough for Sanzaru to do their job all the way instead of just putting the game out as-is, but with the news that season 2 of the cartoon is coming in fall of this year, at this point I kind of feel like SEGA's just waiting to tie in the game with the show as new episodes are coming out.

Personally, I'm expecting the game to be competently made (I mean, they're at least improving on Shattered Crystal's flaws), but nothing amazing.

4 minutes ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

I hope Sanzaru are actually devoting time and attention to the game and didn't just put it off as some speculated. I know they just out out that Tron running game, but still I hope they actually make it as good as they can.

The Tron running game was in development for some time. People found concept art for it about a year before it fully released.

And there's no reason to say that Sanzaru has been slacking, that's just baseless speculation.

Just now, TimmiT said:

The Tron running game was in development for some time. People found concept art for it about a year before it fully released.

And there's no reason to say that Sanzaru has been slacking, that's just baseless speculation.

Weren't some (Hogfather maybe?) speculating that they were slacking on the game?

Feel free to correct me if I remembered incorrectly. :)

Just now, Detective Hero of Legend said:

Weren't some (Hogfather maybe?) speculating that they were slacking on the game?

Hogfather would make sense. :V

1 minute ago, TimmiT said:

Hogfather would make sense. :V

That's right I do. 

Annnnyway. Considering the news regarding the Boom season 2 news, the game.... may or may not actually be finished and it's being sat on, if it does release at the same time as the show, it might shift more units than if it were to come early 2016 like many first thought.

Hoggy might have been the first to voice it, but thats a common perception.

If Sega was intent on delivering a quality experience, they never would have green-lit Fire and Ice in the first place and instead built up something new for 3DS Boom from the ground up. I seriously doubt our complaints at the initial trainer was the straw that broke the camels back and sent the project into a years worth of re-tooling.

I'd bet my next paycheck that the next time we see fire and ice, it'll look/play/feel exactly the same as the last time we saw it. Any changes made will be minimal at best. I wager moving the date back is more of a piggy-back stunt to feed off the popularity of the show, rather than polishing up the game itself.

Prove me wrong Sega.

I find it telling that there's all this shit with Shadow and Metal Sonic too despite that they barely fucking showed up at all. Yeah, that kinda confirms it for me, they're in boom solely for marketing.

Are there any characters in the game that aren't for marketing?  And I'm not saying that as a brush off because obviously all the characters have a marketing purpose, but rather saying, are any of the characters actually there because they constructed a narrative and decided they would be the best fit, rather than because they're profitable?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Tara said:

Are there any characters in the game that aren't for marketing?  And I'm not saying that as a brush off because obviously all the characters have a marketing purpose, but rather saying, are any of the characters actually there because they constructed a narrative and decided they would be the best fit, rather than because they're profitable?

Could you clarify what you mean here? Are you speaking in terms of Sonic Boom or as in the franchise as a whole?