Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

I'm definitely not pre-ording this. If the reviews are good, I'll check it out, but that's unlikely, I'm sure. 

Dr. Eggman has discovered the supercharged element ragnium on the mythical Island of Ragna Rock. He mines it as a fuel source, piping off the messy by-products of the operation to adjacent islands, creating fire and ice gameplay. Using this fuel to power his ultra-fast bot racers is his latest plan to discredit his eternal rival Sonic, but backed by ragnium, fire and ice, a robot army, and D-Fekt, an unflinchingly powerful henchman, this time Dr. Eggman just may succeed. Sonic and friends must re-claim each island by destroying enemies, vanquishing the Island Defender, winning rival races, and reversing the flow of the elemental tubes. It all culminates with an epic battle on the Island of Ragna Rock where Sonic may just have to save Dr. Eggman from his own creation.

Oh look... this plot again...

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Boom-Fire-Ice-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B00ZZMIRDU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434891818&sr=8-2&keywords=sonic%20boom%20fire%20and%20ice&tag=viglink25566-20

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's funny how they've said they wanted to focus on fluidity of gameplay, yet they seem content with maintaining the stop-and-go homing attack as everyone's main method of attack. Same goes for other stuff like the return of Sticks' pace-destroying boomerang sections and Tails' sluggish submarine sections.

I guess in their eyes "focusing on fluidity" means including more sections where you can watch Sonic and co. run on autopilot through curves and loops that are littered with boost pads.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is Pontac and Graff writing this?

We don't know who's handling the story yet. It could be them; it could be the show's writers. Either way, I wouldn't expect anything substantial for those outside the target demographic.

Dr. Eggman has discovered the supercharged element ragnium on the mythical Island of Ragna Rock. He mines it as a fuel source, piping off the messy by-products of the operation to adjacent islands, creating fire and ice gameplay. Using this fuel to power his ultra-fast bot racers is his latest plan to discredit his eternal rival Sonic, but backed by ragnium, fire and ice, a robot army, and D-Fekt, an unflinchingly powerful henchman, this time Dr. Eggman just may succeed. Sonic and friends must re-claim each island by destroying enemies, vanquishing the Island Defender, winning rival races, and reversing the flow of the elemental tubes. It all culminates with an epic battle on the Island of Ragna Rock where Sonic may just have to save Dr. Eggman from his own creation.

The beginning leads you to believe that it's going to be some sort of environmentalist plot akin to Archie or SatAM and then it just steers off course and goes all over the place.  Then again, Shattered Crystal's writing was also sort of all over the place, so this is only confirming to me that not much has changed in the story department.  That's why I keep saying "I'll believe it when I see it myself" when Sega and Sanzaru staff continue to say they've taken criticism into account and have improved the game thusly.  Because the more information we receive, the more it becomes clear to me that they've only improved it enough to have possibly made a "passable" experience" at best.  From a D. to a D+, from what I've seen.  But unless the reviews tell me something notably different, I'm not in a rush to get this game.  I probably will get it for completionist sake, but definitely not for its full retail price.

Huh, that site actually looks good... (despite it being a test site) and what's funny is that the Boom site I went to still hasn't updated with designs from Fire and Ice.

It's lagging for me!

Or Eggman has full control of his robot and Sonic has to save him cuz Eggman doesn't know what he has gotten into.

Yeah call me a hopeless masochist

• Thumbs Up 2

We don't know who's handling the story yet. It could be them; it could be the show's writers. Either way, I wouldn't expect anything substantial for those outside the target demographic.

I'm hoping it's show's writers, but somehow that won't be the case since SEGA/Sonic Team really like to shove Pontac and Graff into Sonic games, story and writing wise. It may not be much, but I think the show's writers handle their humor much better than Pontac and Graff can do.

Going by that Interview, the game doesn't sound half bad. Sadly, Pontac and Graff are back as writers, though...

Oh no, the writers who have been in every game since 2010 are back again. This is shocking news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not surprised nor upset at Pontac and Graff writing.  Unless they were the ones who wrote Rise of Lyric, their track record is "passable" at the worst for me, though I do recognize where their flaws lie with other people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hang on, they're writing the story?

Ohhkay, I thought Colors wasn't bad, and Generations, Lost World was ok IMO, but Rise of Lyric had an odd plot and Shattered Crystal's plot was meh-ish. And Fire and Ice's story is still meh-ish for me.

Let's see how it goes...

Oh no, the writers who have been in every game since 2010 are back again. This is shocking news.

I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed.

I was vaguely hoping after several reviews panned Shattered Cystal's script, that they wouldn't be coming back, but apparently not. Seriously, Shattered Crystal and Lost World were objectively terrible. But, oh well, I knew this was coming anyway.

I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed.

That's generally what Sonic games have been for me lately.

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved the story to Colors. The story Generations had was kind of underwhelming to me. Lost World confused me. And I'll be honest Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric's writing was...okay. Not great but not bad either. They have the potential, no doubt. But it's such a toss up to how things will go with this game's writing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do we know for sure that P&G wrote Rise of Lyric though? Shattered Crystal was pretty bad while RoL was just...eh. Shame to hear they're back for Fire and Ice. 8(

Pontac and Graff wrote Rise of Lyric's script? I thought that was handled by someone over at Big Red Button.

I loved the story to Colors. The story Generations had was kind of underwhelming to me. Lost World confused me. And I'll be honest Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric's writing was...okay. Not great but not bad either. They have the potential, no doubt. But it's such a toss up to how things will go with this game's writing.

They didn't write the plot for colors or generations they just came up with the dialogue. Lost World was the first time they did write a plot and as for Rise of Lyric they had nothing to do with it that was the show's writers(only in part) P and G wrote shattered crystals 

Do we know for sure that P&G wrote Rise of Lyric though? Shattered Crystal was pretty bad while RoL was just...eh. Shame to hear they're back for Fire and Ice. 8(

They didn't write for RoL. It's probably the one saving grace that boring mess had.