Awoo.

Smurfs: The Lost Village - Coming 2017

ElectricAngel

So, a while back Sony announced they were working on a new Smurfs movie that would be fully animated, close to the style of the original show. Not much info, or even artwork was shown until recently, that is. The new movie has been set with the title Get Smurfy, and Entertainment Weekly has a new image, as well as some info on the film.

plMBOIE.jpg

Happy Global Smurfs Day! To celebrate the occasion, Sony Pictures Animation has announced the cast of Get Smurfy, the upcoming computer-animated Smurf reboot.

The new film will follow Smurfette and her brothers as they search for a legendary Smurfs village, and the movie promises to answer longtime questions — like why are there 99 boys and only one girl? Demi Lovato will star as Smurfette, Mandy Patinkin will voice Papa Smurf, and Rainn Wilson will play the Smurfs’ nemesis Gargamel.

Sony has also released a first look of the Get Smurfyworld, rooted in the original style of Smurfs creator Peyo Culliford.

“The continued popularity of the Smurfs is unmistakable, and this new outing will return them to the fully-animated world that launched them,” director Kelly Asbury said in a release.

Get Smurfy will be released March 31, 2017.

Uhh, I'm not sure if the person who wrote the article or gave the info to Entertainment Weekly ever watched The Smurfs, but the reason there's only one girl is because Gargamel made Smurfette as an evil ally of his. She later joined everyone else because plot and... that's it. Then again, they mention it's a reboot so perhaps they're going to retell that story in some form. 

I'm really looking forward to this. Yes, 2017 is a long time, but the character designs are looking great. I love how this film and the new Peanuts film managed to capture the spirit of the original source material in CGI. It looks beautiful and I can't wait to see it in motion!

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm actually... kinda looking forward to this? I have my own share of fond memories with the Smurfs, watching the show whenever it was on on Boomerang and loving every second of it. Then we got those absolutely godawful, painfully unfunny and crass live-action movies. I'm glad they're deliberately trying to go back to the Smurfs' roots, and the art style from what it seems like damn good. Ya better not disappoint me, Sony.

This seems visually promising. Just keep the pop culture references out of it and don't use Disney Child Actress Number Who's-Been-Keeping-Track-At-This-Point's presence as an excuse to play a grating song during the end credits and I might just buy a ticket.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was never a huge fan of The Smurfs despite my grandfather animating some episodes, and I didn't like the first movie, but this looks pretty cool. It's fully animated! I'll definitely go see it.

It looks a helluva lot better than the awful live action Smurfs that's for sure, but I'll wait until we see more. As long as it's faithful to the comics/cartoons and doesn't have pop songs and crappy humour I might enjoy this.

Nice to know that they're actually trying to be faithful of the original Smurf comics/TV show this time; rather than continuing to rip off Fox's Alvin and the Chipmunks adaptations with the live-action/CG movies. That said, one can't just help but wonder why they didn't do the former in the first place, rather than the latter.

Wow, it looks really good from that one picture. Definitely an improvement from the original movies.. Ugh.

Black Nerd Comedy is gonna talk about this, just you wait.

I'm not really a fan of the smurfs in any case, but from this image alone, it at least looks a lot nicer than the cgi/live action films...though...is that even worth pointing out at this point? Of course it looks better than those flicks....

1316673912.jpg

*shudders*

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

This topic needs a new title, @ElectricAngel, because the title of the upcoming Smurfs reboot is no longer Get Smurfy! On February 12th, 2016, a new (and, honestly, much better) title for the movie was revealed to be "Smurfs: The Lost Village." We also know a bit more about the plot. Apparently, our protagonist will be Smurfette, who is sad that she seems to be the only Smurf in the Village without a purpose, and decides to set off to discover her purpose:

When she accidentally crosses paths with a mysterious creature that takes off into the Enchanted Forest, she follows, and sets off into the uncharted and strictly forbidden woods. Joined by her brothers Brainy, Hefty and Clumsy — and with the evil wizard Gargamel shadowing their every step — Team Smurf undertakes a wild journey full of action, danger and discovery, setting them on a course that leads to the biggest mystery in Smurf history.

http://www.slashfilm.com/smurfs-the-lost-village/

This promises to be a much more fantastical, adventurous and, dare I say, even serious (that is, taking itself more seriously) movie than the Cloudy films or the Hotel Transylvania films, let alone those freakin' live action abominations. I was already interested in this one last year, but now I'm actually straight up hyped! I really liked the original Smurfs cartoon as a kid, and I definitely think this movie will do Peyo's creation justice.

Also, enjoy this gorgeous new image:

smurfs-firstlook1.jpg?resize=534%2C401

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I'm already loving this! It looks much cuter and charming compared to the live-action Smurfs that tried to look too real.

I can't wait to see The Smurfs on the big screen in CGI... this time done properly!

• Thumbs Up 5

Wow it looks like they are putting in all the effort with this one. I'm really excited to see how it will turn out now. I too, was a big Smurfs fan as a child. I watched the cartoon and read many of the books. I wonder when we'll get a teaser trailer. Hopefully this summer. 

1 minute ago, ElectricAngel said:

Wow it looks like they are putting in all the effort with this one. I'm really excited to see how it will turn out now. I too, was a big Smurfs fan as a child. I watched the cartoon and read many of the books. I wonder when we'll get a teaser trailer. Hopefully this summer. 

I think teasers for animated movies tend to come out about nine to ten months before the movie's release, so I think we can expect to see one for Smurfs in July, maybe June!

I'm really interested to see them in action. How cartoony are they willing to make things? How much squash-and-stretch will they have?

Just now, Failinhearts said:

I'm really interested to see them in action. How cartoony are they willing to make things? How much squash-and-stretch will they have?

Eh, a little is all good; I mean, this is a movie about little cartoon blue people, but I hope to God it's not on the level of the Cloudy movies.

Just now, Hyper Enesephus said:

Eh, a little is all good; I mean, this is a movie about little cartoon blue people, but I hope to God it's not on the level of the Cloudy movies.

Yeah, even though I liked the first movie, the Cloudy series can be a bit obnoxious with the motion. ESPECIALLY Cloudy 2 with that Steve Jobs-esque fella. I know his weird movement is the joke, but there is such a thing as overdoing it.

Just now, Failinhearts said:

Yeah, even though I liked the first movie, the Cloudy series can be a bit obnoxious with the motion. ESPECIALLY Cloudy 2 with that Steve Jobs-esque fella. I know his weird movement is the joke, but there is such a thing as overdoing it.

Are you referring to Chester V? Because he was disgusting to watch.

Personally, I'm hoping this movie's animated kind of like The Peanuts Movie.

Are you referring to Chester V? Because he was disgusting to watch.

Personally, I'm hoping this movie's animated kind of like The Peanuts Movie.

Yeah, Chester V.

His animation was way too off-putting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope they go the Peanuts route. If anyone was on SSMB while I was watching Hotel Transylvania 2, you'd remember how I hated the animation. Squash and stretch is good, but not too much. If you want to go extreme, just use 2D. In CGI it can get downright nauseating and exhausting to watch. I want something easy on the eyes, please.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ElectricAngel said:

I really hope they go the Peanuts route. If anyone was on SSMB while I was watching Hotel Transylvania 2, you'd remember how I hated the animation. Squash and stretch is good, but not too much. If you want to go extreme, just use 2D. In CGI it can get downright nauseating and exhausting to watch. I want something easy on the eyes, please.

Oh, I remember. You sounded a lot like Animat there.:lol:

Oh, I remember. You sounded a lot like Animat there.:lol:

An Animat watcher, eh? :)

Anyway, I hope there's a good balance in Smurfs. You guys got a good example in the form of The Peanuts movie, and I agree.

4 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

An Animat watcher, eh? :)

Anyway, I hope there's a good balance in Smurfs. You guys got a good example in the form of The Peanuts movie, and I agree.

Yeah, he's my favorite animation critic. Even when I disagree with his opinions, I often cannot deny when he has a point, and he does a good job presenting his arguments. You can tell he's passionate about animation, too.

Anyway, it seems we're all in agreement that a 2.5D style similar to The Peanuts Movie would be good for Smurfs, but what will we actually get from Sony? I'm so very curious...

Yeah, he's my favorite animation critic. Even when I disagree with his opinions, I often cannot deny when he has a point, and he does a good job presenting his arguments. You can tell he's passionate about animation, too.

Anyway, it seems we're all in agreement that a 2.5D style similar to The Peanuts Movie would be good for Smurfs, but what will we actually get from Sony? I'm so very curious...

Sony can be polarizing with their animated movies.

But I have faith in this film. Surely, they'll learn from the last two movies... right?

1 minute ago, Failinhearts said:

Sony can be polarizing with their animated movies.

But I have faith in this film. Surely, they'll learn from the last two movies... right?

I have faith, too. They're really emphasizing how they want to be much more faithful to the original cartoon and comics by Peyo, and they've got the visual style down, too. Combine that with the story they've got in mind, and I think Sony may be about to make their own "Peanuts Movie" (that is, a movie much better and with much more acclaim than most of their previous films).

As for learning from their past mistakes, it's possible they're just going to basically strike gold with this one without even meaning to, because they've got a freaking Emoji movie in the works. Not even joking. However, maybe if this movie does well, it'll inspire a change in the company. I guess we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 3

That looks so much better than the other Smurfs me vie that came out! I'm glad they're keeping it more faithful to the original series. Hopefully the end result will be much better than what we've previously got.