Awoo.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash(Wii U)

Klinsy

https://youtu.be/PXBWAjxioSU

New Mario Tennis announced at E3!

It seems to be the usual two vs two matches will be the core gameplay, but there is something that makes matches BIG.

Mega Mushrooms show up on court and makes tennis players grow to massive size, it's safe to assume this probably means more power ups.

I'm just hoping it has as good of an opening as Power Tennis. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know why people play virtual tennis games.

It's like tennis except super easy and super fucking boring.

Like you can just go out right now and play tennis against the wall if you want to and trust me it'll be way more enjoyable.

But that's just my two cents I guess.

Like what you wanna like.

• Thumbs Up 2

We got E3 website details, and some interesting tidbits

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/mario-tennis-ultra-smash/

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
Mario Tennis comes to the Wii U system

Compete with friends in the multiplayer Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game on the Wii U system. Along with the fun and dynamic gameplay known to the franchise, surprise your opponents with a new move to the series, the Jumpshot, which sends the ball flying down the court. Change the sport up with new Mega Battles, using the Mega Mushroom to gain an advantage over the competition. Claim your spot in Mario Tennis lore in singles (1v1) or doubles (2v2) as you play with and against family, friends or the CPU using returning and new characters to the series.
Features:

Compete with friends in the multiplayer Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game on the Wii U system.
    Play against friends and family in multiplayer matches.
    Play against friends and family in both singles (1v1) and doubles (2v2) matches as your favorite Mushroom Kingdom character.
    Control your character’s every movement on the court, using precise timing and the correct shot to outwit your opponent.
    Use the new Jumpshot technique to return shots like never before.
    In Mega Battles, get the Mega Mushroom to gain a “big” advantage over your competition.
    New characters make their Mario Tennis debut.

© 2015 Nintendo / CAMELOT

So, Camelot's made a HD game, also new character that have never been in a Mario Tennis game, anyone want to make/copy of a list of all previous playable Mario Tennis characters? Wonder if they might do a retro nod by bringing DK Jr back

Edit: Fact Sheet

mBlld87l.png

Edit:

offscreen footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IcqUleGLu8w

Having not played a Mario Tennis game since Power Tennis, this was nice to see in the presentation. That being said, there's nothing particularly notable about it. Hoping to see more than mega mushrooms.

And don't play coy Nintendo. We know 'new characters' means Rosalina.

Aside from playing as Mario characters, I don't really see how Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash would be a better value than, say, just downloading the Tennis (& Bowling) section of Wii Sports Club for a fraction of MTUS's retail price; especially since the latter has online and this game (judging the press release) looks like it won't.

Honestly, I think they should had just made a sequel to Mario Sports Mix and folded the Mario Tennis gameplay into that instead.

Oh, looks like the item-based shots are back from Open, as you see the Red Fire Flower circle where the ball will land.

Aside from playing as Mario characters, I don't really see how Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash would be a better value than, say, just downloading the Tennis (& Bowling) section of Wii Sports Club for a fraction of MTUS's retail price; especially since the latter has online and this game (judging the press release) looks like it won't.

Honestly, I think they should had just made a sequel to Mario Sports Mix and folded the Mario Tennis gameplay into that instead.

Frankly, I think Camelot may have just gone ahead and do this so they'd get some experience working on an HD title.

• Thumbs Up 1

Say anybody want to compile/pull up lists of all characters in previous Mario Tennis games? perhaps we can use that to guess who may be back, and likely candidates for addition

Say anybody want to compile/pull up lists of all characters in previous Mario Tennis games? perhaps we can use that to guess who may be back, and likely candidates for addition

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Tennis_(Nintendo_64)

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Toad, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Wario, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Yoshi, Birdo, Baby Mario, Paratroopa, Boo

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Tennis_Open

Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Mii

So we can expect Rosalina, Nabbit, maybe the Koopalings.

What about Mario Tennis on the NGC?

Also, considering he's had ones other than Diddy in Baseball and Mario Kart, wouldn't be surprised if we got a few more DK reps

What about Mario Tennis on the NGC?

Also, considering he's had ones other than Diddy in Baseball and Mario Kart, wouldn't be surprised if we got a few more DK reps

I think its possible we could get more DK characters.

I'm not sure how I missed GCN:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Power_Tennis

Diddy and Bowser Jr. are in this one as well, along with Fly Guy, Wiggler, and Petey Piranha

So update from Nintendo Life with some new details, like Mega Mushrooms are a separate mode(which should make some people happy)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/first_impressions_holding_court_with_mario_tennis_ultra_smash

First Impressions: Holding Court with Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Posted Thu 18th Jun 2015 00:00 by Morgan Sleeper

Racquet Riot

Image1

A surprise service sent over the net in Nintendo's Digital Event at this year's E3, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash for Wii U marks the first home console appearance of this particular Mario Sport in over 10 years. If early impressions are anything to go by, it's one to watch for - the demo we played on the show floor was very simple, consisting only of Mario and Bowser battling it out on a single court, but it already felt extremely polished, and we had a blast playing several matches against a talented Nintendo rep.

Like its predecessors, Ultra Smash is a fast-paced, arcade-style tennis game that puts its Mushroom Kingdom court location to good use. The matches we played, for example, were part of the Mega Battle mode, in which enormous mushrooms wander onto the field from time to time. Picking up one of these iconic fungi makes your character grow to several times their size, which, as it turns out, is a double edged sword in terms of tennis - the increased reach and wingspan makes it easier to return wide shots, but we also lost a few volleys thanks to Mario's newly oversized noggin acting as an excellent target.

No matter your size, you'll always have access to the same repertoire of racquet techniques, and along with basic Topspin and Slice shots - assigned to the 'A' and 'B' buttons, respectively - Ultra Smash keeps the multi-button shot combos from Mario Tennis Open: 'A' followed by 'B' sets up a Lob, for instance, and 'B' followed by 'A' a Drop Shot. One new addition for Ultra Smash is the Jumpshot; by pressing 'A' or 'B' twice in a row you can return the ball from mid-air, which is as satisfying as it sounds.

Image2

All these different shot types play into Chance Shots, which sometimes see differently coloured spotlights appear where the ball is about to land. If you make it to the ball in time and pull off the particular shot indicated by the colour in the circle (red for Topspins, white for Drop Shots, etc.), you'll send back your return with a massive boost. Our demo sets saw quite a few volleys where Chance Shots made the crucial difference, and they were thrilling to play for, adding a rapid-fire 'Simon Says' element to the already engaging arcade tennis action.

We played on a Pro Controller, which felt great - controls were snappy and responsive, with intuitive button mappings and a fun new dive button assigned to 'R'. For players who haven't yet memorized the different Chance Shot combinations' colour coding - a task made more difficult without a bottom-screen cheat sheet as in Open - the 'X' button also acts as an easy way out.

Tapping 'X' for your shots will activate the best shot for the situation every time, including during Chance Shot opportunities. While we're sure there will be an option to disable this in the full game (if only for multiplayer parity), it's a very welcome addition, and should help let everyone take a swing at the action. With Mega Mushrooms and the Mario cast, Ultra Smash's appeal is immediate, and it should be much easier to share the fun with an (optionally) reduced learning curve.

Image3

We didn't see very much of Ultra Smash in the demo, but what we did see looked fantastic. Mario and Bowser are beautifully detailed - especially in their enormous forms - the lighting on the superpowered shots is gorgeous, and the little touches that Nintendo is known for are already shining through; we especially loved watching Mario's shoes rip up dirt trails in the grass when he was blown back by a particularly powerful shot.

Like all Mario Tennis games, Ultra Smash is a Camelot creation, though since it's early on in development there's no word on what the single player content might look like, or if any of the RPG elements from the studio's earlier Mario Sports titles might make it into this Wii U release. Whatever form the final game takes, however, it has a seriously solid foundation; even in these early days, we had a great time with Ultra Smash, and can't wait to hit the courts again, Mega Mushrooms and all.

Seems they liked it

Eh, I might pick this up. The only Mario Tennis game I've played is the one on the N64 though. What's changed throughout the series that I should know about?

Eh, I might pick this up. The only Mario Tennis game I've played is the one on the N64 though. What's changed throughout the series that I should know about?

At the end of the day it's all just a tennis game.  Each game had their own unique gimmicks to make it more "Mario" but I doubt they're going to build on any of those mechanics here in a way that would alienate those who didn't play the others.

Since you didn't play it though, go look up the intro to Mario Power Tennis.  You know how the Mario Tennis N64 intro was this cute little 2 minute long narrative thing that introduced all the characters?  Mario Power Tennis basically had a 5 minute short completely centered around Wario and Waluigi being jerks and it's goddamn amazing.

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour had one too (that one actually came first though).  It's criminal that only the gamecube games had these incredible intros and they don't seem to care nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 2

So we got some impressions, and it looks like they are bringing back some depth in this one because it has been confirmed motion controls will NOT be in Ultra smash. Hopefully this means a higher focus on gameplay, modes and characters

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/mario_tennis_ultra_smash/b/wii_u/archive/2015/06/19/hands-on-mario-tennis-ultra-smash-e3-2015.aspx

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

Flying High And Going Big

e3 2015

by  Brian Shea on June 19, 2015 at 02:42 PM

The fan favorite Mario Tennis franchise is finally coming to the Wii U. With Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Nintendo is going big – literally.

Even for a series that has featured flaming tennis balls and friendly dinosaurs with rackets, the action in Ultra Smash's Mega Battles mode is over-the-top. Characters jump tens of feet in the air to return a high-bouncing smash, have a big arsenal of shot types during play, and field power-ups thrown onto the court by Toad. Though I only played the mode for a brief time, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash seems like the most frantic entry the series has seen to date.

In the build I played, the only power-up being thrown onto the court was a Mega Mushroom, which caused the character who grabbed it to grow massive in size – so big that Bowser takes up his the majority of his side of the court. There’s no telling if other kinds of power-ups will make an appearance, but with a rich catalog to choose from, the team could get really creative.

The only characters revealed so far are Mario, Bowser, Peach, and Toad, but players can expect to see a strong cast of characters pulling from Nintendo’s biggest IPs. Nintendo has said that new characters will be making their Mario Tennis debuts with Ultra Smash, so it will be interesting to see if Mario Kart 8’s crossover DLC that features Link and Animal Crossing characters will influence the Mario Tennis franchise to experiment with bringing an even wider range of characters to the roster.

Players have the option to use the Wii U’s many controllers with Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, including the GamePad and Pro Controller. A strange caveat of the various control options available is that players can use the Wii Remote for play, but only in its sideways-turned state. The lack of motion controls wouldn’t normally be a big issue, but tennis is one of the few sub-genres where motion controls make sense and are fun.

Fans of Mario, Tennis, and the combination of the two should keep their eyes on this one as more is revealed in the months leading up to launch. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash comes to Wii U this holiday season.

Overall impression is good though

• 3 months later...

We have UK Nintendo store preorder bonus, still no NA release date, though it comes out in EU on November 11. Expecting NA release date around the same time especially with Star Fox Zero's Delay

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-wii-u/mario-tennis-ultra-smash/11164375.html?utm_source=ENNI-_mario-tennis-pre-order&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ENNI-_mario-tennis-pre-order&affil=thgemail&utm_content=TCMemail&widget_id=119787

spHbwse.jpg

We haven't had any new info whatsoever on the announced new characters, nor the modes, heck we don't even know for sure if that's the final cover.

Personally I'm expecting a Direct blowout in a few weeks, or at least an official site launch

Edited by Mando

Look like MTUS may be this years bargain title(which may make me more likely to get it... that reminds me I still need to get Captain Toad for that matter)

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-appears-to-be-a-40-game/

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash appears to be a $40 game

Posted under News, Wii U
September 21, 2015 by Brian (@NE_Brian)
WiiU_MarioTennisUltraSmash_scrn02

Nintendo has shipped a few Wii U games at $40 – notably Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker as well as Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. We may soon have another title with the same price point on our hands.

I didn’t make too much of it at the time, but retailer Newegg recently added a listing to its website for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. Consumers can reserve it for $39.99, which is supposedly $20 in savings. I’d wager that it’s instead the game’s final price point.

The Nintendo UK store also just put up its listing for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. It can be pre-ordered for £39.99, and since this is Nintendo’s store, that’s about as official as things get.

So although it’s not absolutely confirmed, $40 (£40 for our UK friends) is looking like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash’s final price point. That’d probably go over much better than if it were $60!

I'm not really surprised, even if we knew a lot about it and it was amazing its still a bargain title. Its obvious Camelot just made this game quickly to try and get some console experience in.

Nintendo of America has finally confirmed NA release date

g64z2No.png

And look the audience is actual models instead of figures this time!

That's cool, but we still need info on what else is going to be in the game. At least we can see they are putting some effort into it.

Yeah, they've been quiet since E3, I think we're going to get a mini-direct on it soon. Also I believe MSRP has been confirmed at $50

I thought it was $40? Either way it sounds like its Tropical Freeze price instead of full price... weird. Maybe there's a lot more to this game than we thought? (rofl)