Awoo.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash(Wii U)

Klinsy

I figured Bowser Jr. would make it in. Wondering why even Camelot dropped Diddy, though. Weird.

Also, apparently Sprixie is in. That's another unusual addition. Not even Nabbit.

Actually, since it's in official press footage I can post this image, however there is something curious to point out

7uJLpfQ.png

almost all the icons for everyone(with Rosa as a newcomer being an exception) are placeholders from previous titles(that Waluigi one is 12 years old), that indicates that this likely is NOT the final build. now the other 2 things are it's clearly built for 2 more rows, an additional slot, and possibly even another column. While Nintendo's been making some crappy roster decisions lately, this could be pointing to a further character/content roll-out like Mario Golf Open Tour, Smash, and Splatoon as a result of the obviously rushed launch. Even with Camelot's HD hurdles, the fact that all the standard mook enemies already have HD models, and the fact the roster currently has 3 less characters than the full roster(including transfer characters) of the original game from what 15 years now?

I can say we hope and don't think this is over. So going by the layout, we have 7 character slots without adding a column, and it goes up to 15 with another Column which is easily doable. Honestly, this one seems likely since unlike say smash, while each character does have unique animations, balancing is extremely quick since it's merely a stat change rather than a new moveset.

Well, Wait see and hope I guess

Actually, since it's in official press footage I can post this image, however there is something curious to point out

7uJLpfQ.png

almost all the icons for everyone(with Rosa as a newcomer being an exception) are placeholders from previous titles(that Waluigi one is 12 years old), that indicates that this likely is NOT the final build. now the other 2 things are it's clearly built for 2 more rows, an additional slot, and possibly even another column. While Nintendo's been making some crappy roster decisions lately, this could be pointing to a further character/content roll-out like Mario Golf Open Tour, Smash, and Splatoon as a result of the obviously rushed launch. Even with Camelot's HD hurdles, the fact that all the standard mook enemies already have HD models, and the fact the roster currently has 3 less characters than the full roster(including transfer characters) of the original game from what 15 years now?

I can say we hope and don't think this is over. So going by the layout, we have 7 character slots without adding a column, and it goes up to 15 with another Column which is easily doable. Honestly, this one seems likely since unlike say smash, while each character does have unique animations, balancing is extremely quick since it's merely a stat change rather than a new moveset.

Well, Wait see and hope I guess

Sorry, I disagree. I think they're just reusing renders. Hope all you want, but this is undoubtedly the final roster, its too close to release for it NOT to be, and those are probably the final icons. There will probably be DLC with more characters, though (probably part of a season pass like Mario Golf: World Tour). That roster selection screen does look like it has room to expand.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry, I disagree. I think they're just reusing renders. Hope all you want, but this is undoubtedly the final roster, its too close to release for it NOT to be, and those are probably the final icons. There will probably be DLC with more characters, though (probably part of a season pass like Mario Golf: World Tour). That roster selection screen does look like it has room to expand.

Cept, they already have new renders to pull from, quite a few in fact, and they made several for that matter

EDIT 2: My word has been heeded! Renders ahoy!

RosalinaArtwork2-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jMario-running_-_MTUS.pngMarioArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgLuigiArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgPeachArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgDaisyArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgYoshiArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgWarioWaluigi-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpg

Reusing the old ones would be lazy and unprofessional...

Also here's an album of even more as well

http://imgur.com/a/rwio5

and a few in particular

vq90K1q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XwTN1B3.jpg

togf45p.jpgkroq48r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sen0zV4.jpg

Sprixie Princess eh?

I can't believe it took this long for one to be playable in these games, should've already been playable in Mario Kart 8.

Wait, no Diddy or Birdo? AGAIN??? Yoshi and DK without their corresponding partners is weird.

Sprixie Princess eh?

I can't believe it took this long for one to be playable in these games, should've already been playable in Mario Kart 8.

Wait, no Diddy or Birdo? AGAIN??? Yoshi and DK without their corresponding partners is weird.

Even weirder is that Diddy was a starter in both Mario Power Tennis and Mario Tennis Open. And was in Mario Golf: World Tour last year.

Cept, they already have new renders to pull from, quite a few in fact, and they made several for that matter

Reusing the old ones would be lazy and unprofessional...

Also here's an album of even more as well

http://imgur.com/a/rwio5

and a few in particular

vq90K1q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XwTN1B3.jpg

togf45p.jpgkroq48r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sen0zV4.jpg

Ok, maybe you're right. It makes no sense for the roster to reuse old renders if they already have new renders made for them. So yeah, that's probably just part of the demo build...

but its STILL probably the FINAL roster.

Also, it's a treehouse build from a press event, so it's quite likely a build or two behind to be stable

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo doesn't do press events unless they have something final.  It's kinda dumb to invite the press to play something that's still due to be changed.

"Here's what the game is like.  By the way the game might not be like this."

• Thumbs Up 1

Splatoon changed, though admittedly that games kinda built to evolve. Also it's become evident that they blocked out the press from most if not all additional modes(since the trailer does say there are more modes and mini-games), and any/all unlockable features, which character stadiums do fall under, being an unlockable feature since the original game

Honestly, I think the expansion in the default stadiums court types, is actually pretty cool, since traditionally you had standard/rough/grass type courts, but now you have Standard(blue)/Sand/Ice/Rough(red)/Grass/?(Mushroom texture, bouncy maybe?)/?(pink color), which means that you have at least 7 court types on the standard/non-gimick course compared to the traditional 3. Of course, that's without counting Character stadiums, which while not yet confirmed, are traditionally unlockable, so it's quite possible that them and the mini-game mode are both under wraps for now, which is possible, as they weren't present in MT64's marketing either

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo doesn't do press events unless they have something final.  It's kinda dumb to invite the press to play something that's still due to be changed.

"Here's what the game is like.  By the way the game might not be like this."

Its too close to release for it to not be final or at least very, very near-final.

Splatoon changed, though admittedly that games kinda built to evolve. Also it's become evident that they blocked out the press from most if not all additional modes(since the trailer does say there are more modes and mini-games), and any/all unlockable features, which character stadiums do fall under, being an unlockable feature since the original game

Honestly, I think the expansion in the default stadiums court types, is actually pretty cool, since traditionally you had standard/rough/grass type courts, but now you have Standard(blue)/Sand/Ice/Rough(red)/Grass/?(Mushroom texture, bouncy maybe?)/?(pink color), which means that you have at least 7 court types on the standard/non-gimick course compared to the traditional 3. Of course, that's without counting Character stadiums, which while not yet confirmed, are traditionally unlockable, so it's quite possible that them and the mini-game mode are both under wraps for now, which is possible, as they weren't present in MT64's marketing either

I agree, there's probably a lot in-game we don't know about yet. Its probably only other game modes and stadiums, though, and those are all the characters we're getting upon release. Maybe they can add more characters later, but upon release this is probably it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm okay with the choices except dry bowser. It's just another bowser. 

Agreed. I'm glad there's no damn babies this time. This roster is actually pretty solid barring Dry Bowser.

If babies could play tennis, you know they'd be in.

The babies were in past Mario Tennis games. Baby Mario has been in every game to date except this one (he and Baby Luigi only cameoed in Power Tennis, though) and Baby Peach was in Open.

Huh.  Well, I stand corrected, then, and that just makes me wonder why they're not in this one.  Perhaps Nintendo/Camelot's research indicated that the demographic that most appreciates the baby characters doesn't make up a large part of the usual purchasing audience for a tennis title (as opposed to, say, Mario Kart), or maybe they didn't want too great a size range between the characters because of the Mega Mushroom function.  Or maybe they're lined up for a baby expansion down the line with a Mini Mushroom function or something, analogous to the gameplay change of adding 200cc to MK8.  I still think babies playing tennis is conceptually stupider than them driving go-karts, though.

It does make it a pretty distinct roster, though.  Dry Bowser is the only outlier as a character who's just a variant of another character.  Everyone else has a unique identity.  Makes you wonder what Dry Bowser's doing there, actually.

I've got no qualms with Toadette or Bowser Jr being on the roster, and a Sprixie Princess is a nice surprise addition - good to see them getting some attention outside of Super Mario 3D World, it's great when Nintendo pushes some of its newer and more obscure characters in these spin-offs. As for Dry Bowser... eh, he'll suffice. Technically it makes no sense what with Bowser being there too, but considering in previous Tennis games we've had Mario having a rally with his younger self, I think it's safe to assume that time travel and paradoxes are just par for the course in the Mushroom Kingdom (damn, that would have been a great pun if this was Mario Golf!). Dry Bowser has simply come back to seek revenge on Mario for dropping him into a pit of lava... by beating him at a game of tennis! Mwahahahaha!

Hopefully there'll be some DLC (be it free or paid) and some other hidden surprises in there somewhere. I remember Mario Power Tennis on the Gamecube having a much bigger roster than this, so it'd be nice if Ultra Smash could somehow at least match it, even if not on day one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've got no qualms with Toadette or Bowser Jr being on the roster, and a Sprixie Princess is a nice surprise addition - good to see them getting some attention outside of Super Mario 3D World, it's great when Nintendo pushes some of its newer and more obscure characters in these spin-offs. As for Dry Bowser... eh, he'll suffice. Technically it makes no sense what with Bowser being there too, but considering in previous Tennis games we've had Mario having a rally with his younger self, I think it's safe to assume that time travel and paradoxes are just par for the course in the Mushroom Kingdom (damn, that would have been a great pun if this was Mario Golf!). Dry Bowser has simply come back to seek revenge on Mario for dropping him into a pit of lava... by beating him at a game of tennis! Mwahahahaha!

Hopefully there'll be some DLC (be it free or paid) and some other hidden surprises in there somewhere. I remember Mario Power Tennis on the Gamecube having a much bigger roster than this, so it'd be nice if Ultra Smash could somehow at least match it, even if not on day one.

I love how people keep citing Mario Power Tennis having a "much" bigger roster... because I've checked it out, and yeah, its got a bigger roster... by TWO.

Its by no means a "much" bigger roster.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love how people keep citing Mario Power Tennis having a "much" bigger roster... because I've checked it out, and yeah, its got a bigger roster... by TWO.

Its by no means a "much" bigger roster.

Huh, I stand corrected then. I guess Power Tennis just felt like it had a much bigger roster because a lot of more obscure characters made the cut - Wiggler, Shy Guy, Fly Guy, Paratroopa, Petey Piranha, to name a few. So far, with the exception of Sprixie, Ultra Smash has a fairly predictable - albeit inoffensive - selection of characters to play as.

Edited by Doctor MK

Huh, I stand corrected then. I guess Power Tennis just felt like it had a much bigger roster because a lot of more obscure characters made the cut - Wiggler, Shy Guy, Fly Guy, Paratroopa, Petey Piranha, to name a few. So far, with the exception of Sprixie, Ultra Smash has a fairly predictable - albeit inoffensive - selection of characters to play as.

Its a pretty standard roster, the only real complaint is Dry Bowser.

My only question is whether we'll have any unique amiibo for this game, because otherwise you're gonna be fairly limited in which characters you can have AI doubles partners with.

I'll be okay with waiting this long for a Daisy amiibo if it means she's in her sports outfit. ;u;

• Thumbs Up 1

My only question is whether we'll have any unique amiibo for this game, because otherwise you're gonna be fairly limited in which characters you can have AI doubles partners with.

I'll be okay with waiting this long for a Daisy amiibo if it means she's in her sports outfit. ;u;

I'm guessing there will be. It'll probably be Super Mario Wave 2. I doubt Daisy will be in her sports outfit, though. It'll probably just be normal Daisy (since its not based specifically on the sports games, its based on the general appearance).

• Thumbs Up 1

A part of me hopes that Waluigi doesn't get an Amiibo.  I think his underdog status, the sense that he's been treated unfairly by Nintendo and has been instead "reclaimed" by the fans, is the essence of his appeal.  Well, maybe his Amiibo can at least look stupid.

A part of me hopes that Waluigi doesn't get an Amiibo.  I think his underdog status, the sense that he's been treated unfairly by Nintendo and has been instead "reclaimed" by the fans, is the essence of his appeal.  Well, maybe his Amiibo can at least look stupid.

I don't know what type of reasoning you are trying to make here, to be fair - a lot of fans actually like him aside from the points that you have assumed. And to you what if people even did like him just for the reason for being an underdog? Then well, that just makes the justification of fans liking other, less valued characters from other fandoms moot in your own eyes - like Eggman was at one point in the Sonic fandom, for example.

I love Waluigi and it is not for his "meme status" or anything of the sorts, but for the fact that I admire his underhandedness, the somewhat sycophantic behavior towards Wario out of admiration (but yet he isn't afraid to cheat him out of villain wiles,) and his mysterious air. His Loki-esque behavior and his cunning are what drew me in as a fan long ago and the potential of what he can be still keeps me a fan to this day.  His ability to persevere obstacles and that Robotnik-esque quality to overcome adversity is really appealing and something that I can relate towards on a first-hand basis. This character means a lot to others more than what you may think appears on the surface ( for one, anyone can ask my friends about Waluigi and they will tell you with a similar conviction that they hate the meme basis surrounding him and take him as a character at face value, even if there isn't much to go by now or things that others don't pick up on.)

If anything. I know that his Amiibo will look excellent and I will be looking forward to picking it up on day one (that's if I can get it. Wario is still hard to find.)

Edited by SchemingMinor
  • Thumbs Up 1

As for Dry Bowser... eh, he'll suffice. Technically it makes no sense what with Bowser being there too, but considering in previous Tennis games we've had Mario having a rally with his younger self, I think it's safe to assume that time travel and paradoxes are just par for the course in the Mushroom Kingdom (damn, that would have been a great pun if this was Mario Golf!). Dry Bowser has simply come back to seek revenge on Mario for dropping him into a pit of lava... by beating him at a game of tennis! Mwahahahaha!

Actually, Mario Party Island Tour implies that there's more than one Bowser. Dry Bowser appears as a boss, and Toad refers to him as a Dry Bowser, not the Bowser. And King Bowser calls Dry Bowser a "family friend". Not to mention the Mario and Sonic games treat him as a separate character.

Maybe "Bowser" is the name of a species of Koopa, and Bowser himself, like Toad and Yoshi, is named after his species. I only bring this up because Dry Bowser has been repeatedly hinted to also be an individual entity, unlike, say, Tanooki Mario in Mario Kart 8.