Awoo.

E3, Freedom Planet, Sonic Boom F&I and Dreamcast 2? - Darkness Answers Episode 10 Discussion!

Alienrun

First off, if anyone thinks that this is some way for me to "get revenge" because of the BS that happened yesterday regarding me questioning the appeal of E3...No! I talked with Klonoa privately already, we're cool now. The reason I decided to make this "video" a topic, is because it's coincidental that this video talks a lot about E3 and Sonic stuff, all during the E3 hype and the somewhat mixed reaction regarding the existence of Fire and Ice.

And no I don't agree with everything that is said, I'll explain after the link:

So First off, if it isn't obvious by now, I'm a really big fan of this guy. He's very nice and interesting once you get to know him, he tends to have this "arrogant" attitude on the internet because he has been exposed to too much of its negative side so its effected his attitude quite a bit. He's pretty straight up and honest tho, as in this video he gets right to the point. (as usual)

So what do you guys think? What are your thoughts on...well his thoughts?! So anyways, here's my opinion on his response to his sub's questions (2 of which are mine! "*" means I asked it.)

E3: This pretty much summed up my opinions very very well! mostly "its just a big show" and "I'm not interested in most of what their showing, because they can just show it on youtube, so thus I don't watch it" (okay that wasn't the EXACT quote but still) I'll just leave it at that due to what happened yesterday...moving on! (EA does seem to suck tho, even with the limited knowledge I have on this subject!)

*Freedom Planet*: I personally really like this game, probably more than I should, infact I already detailed my basic thoughts on the game here:  down a bit, plus how do you put the hyperlink in text?) as for his opinion regarding fan games...eh. I highly disagree, not only that but I felt that it was such a missed opprotunity regarding the fact that Freedom Planet is NOT a sonic game, but rather a sonic inspired one with other ideas from other games thrown in with plenty of originality to go around. He probably already knew tho, just dismissed because it has a sonic vibe i guess... *sigh!

*How he finds out about new games*: Considering how long Iv'e been wanting to know the answer to this, I found it to be quite...disappointing, actually more unexpectingly simple more than anything really...like he plays a lot of games in a short period of time so clearly there must be more than just "fans and subs"...right?!

Sonic Boom: First off he has already explained in a previous episode that the reason he hasn't watched the show (or cared about F&I for that matter) is because it's part of the same brand as "Rise of Lyric" which he considers to be the worst Sonic game ever made, so thus he wants nothing to do with it (He was very positive about it pre-launch). His opinion regarding Gens3ds is a little strange, but my best guess to the reason he hates it is because its not as good as the Console version (which he really liked) and cause of its bland level design. Of course tho his opinion on Colors DS only makes me question further his opinion on Lost World 3ds (His hate towards Colors wii is very biased.)...oh well, we might find out some other time!

DynoCrisis: No comment. Iv'e never played it, tho he is a big fan of Jurassic Park, and I guess I like dinosaurs...I guess?!

New Sega Console (Dreamcast 2): I pretty much agree that it ain't gonna happen, tho his opinion regarding how it would work out seem rather far fetched but reasonable enough, I also agree that a NEW MODERN sonic game won't reel people in anymore even if its good!...at least not the same way with SA2 and 2006!

Overall: I think this is the best episode he's put out, he really kept the speed going and answered a bunch of really interesting questions! hopefully you guys found it just as interesting as I did and have a bunch to discuss!

I highly disagree, not only that but I felt that it was such a missed opprotunity regarding the fact that Freedom Planet is NOT a sonic game, but rather a sonic inspired one with other ideas from other games thrown in with plenty of originality to go around. He probably already knew tho, just dismissed because it has a sonic vibe i guess... *sigh!
  • Thumbs Up 6

If i hear one more time "this is the true sonic 4" again...no. Its better than what sonic 4 could have ever been! too much effort went into making the formula not only stand out but it helped improve the game as a whole significantly! Me and someone else already defended that in the comments so maybe (hopefully) people will look at them and not just think its a sonic 4!

I can't tell if more people are bashing it for being too similar to sonic or not being sonic enough! Just play the damn game and have a blast with it!

I don't think Sonic 06 is something that reeled people in as far as Modern Sonic goes. SA2, definitely considering how much it was hyped back in the day. But while Sonic 06 had hype, it didn't exactly do well as far as being marketed goes because the wasn't any decent advertising for the game during release, and as a result it sold at least 90,000 units which was much less than I think in the time they estimated to profit from. And that's without getting into its poor reception.

Honestly, if we're talking a modern Sonic game reeling people in, it has to be so amazing that it blows people away. But given how much of an identity crisis this franchise has, while not impossible to do, it's far is easier said than done. Closest to do this was Unleashed and Generations, and Unleashed had half of its gameplay bring down the title, while Generations...well, that was pretty lacking as a result of little innovation and improvement done to the other half of the formula Unleashed created.

But as far as a Sega Dreamcast 2 goes? Yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath. Things have changed greatly from that day when the first one came out, and given Sega's poor advertisement, I doubt a Dreamcast 2 would fare well. Tho I could be wrong if someone else is more knowledgeable about it than I am.

The fact that people treat FP like it's a Sonic game is starting to irritate me. It's very clear through its origins and the gameplay itself that it drew inspiration from classic Sonic, but the current product plays out differently enough and draws inspiration from other sources to very well be its own game. Things like enemies that don't damage you on the touch, use of attacks as opposed to jumps, and a health meter are three things that should instantly separate it from the standard classic Sonic gameplay. Toss in how Carol and Milla - who are pretty much 2/3 of the whole game right now - don't even control remotely similar to classic Sonic and it's clear cut that this is its own thing.

If someone walks into Freedom Planet expecting a Sonic game, they're not going to like it much. I don't even really think there's anything wrong with not liking the aforementioned gameplay elements, honestly, but if the criticism is treating it like a Sonic game then it's just not a valid criticism. That's like criticizing Kirby for not playing like a Mario game.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, you previously asked me to watch this person's video. I just did it and I'm going to reply on a few of the things you said (Mainly just about E3 and Freedom Planet)

E3: This pretty much summed up my opinions very very well! mostly "its just a big show" and "I'm not interested in most of what their showing, because they can just show it on youtube, so thus I don't watch it" (okay that wasn't the EXACT quote but still) I'll just leave it at that due to what happened yesterday...moving on! (EA does seem to suck tho, even with the limited knowledge I have on this subject!)

But E3 is being shown on Youtube? Youtube has been hosting extensive, exclusive coverage the whole time. You could watch everything live, or watch it later.

Is it a problem that I still don't get what your opinion is? I understand his, but what you've added onto this small text made all of that clarification from a similar opinion sound even more strange.

If i hear one more time "this is the true sonic 4" again...no. Its better than what sonic 4 could have ever been! too much effort went into making the formula not only stand out but it helped improve the game as a whole significantly! Me and someone else already defended that in the comments so maybe (hopefully) people will look at them and not just think its a sonic 4!

I can't tell if more people are bashing it for being too similar to sonic or not being sonic enough! Just play the damn game and have a blast with it!

I've.....never heard people talk about Freedom Planet like that before? Freedom Planet obviously has in inspiration of Sonic up it's sleeves but on it's own it's a completely different game. Gunstar Heroes, Megaman, and Platinum's games are among examples of things that most likely inspired it. In general, the only people I've heard saying "It was a Sonic clone, it sucks," was some infamous youtuber or something. Point is, I don't really see anyone (Journalists, Everybody I know that have played it, etc.) hitting on the game for it's relation to Sonic what so ever.

First off, if anyone thinks that this is some way for me to "get revenge" because of the BS that happened yesterday regarding me questioning the appeal of E3...No! I talked with Klonoa privately already, we're cool now. The reason I decided to make this "video" a topic, is because it's coincidental that this video talks a lot about E3 and Sonic stuff, all during the E3 hype and the somewhat mixed reaction regarding the existence of Fire and Ice.

Oh. My. God. Will you drop this already? Why are you mentioning this at every single turn? Only 2 other people participated in that situation (With one of them being a mod), and you are the only one out of all of us to continue mentioning this crap. You need to let it go.