Awoo.

"Buy a remake, it comes with the original!"

Yoko/葉子

So after seeing how Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles and Metroid: Zero Mission both came with the games they are remakes of built right in (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Metroid), I came to wonder about the community's thoughts on the idea of having the old added in with the new version.

Do you think it has advantages or disadvantages? Do you think the companies are trying not to overemphasize the new technology in remakes by keeping the originals or anything else along these lines?

To me, since Zero Mission was my first Metroid game, I feel it was an incredibly smart move on their end, as it sounded like Nintendo was trying to say, "there's bound to be something lost in the transition from the original, so rather than act like remakes are purely better, we will give you the original as a bonus."

I think it can be a cool move, and it would be sweet if StarFox Zero came with Star Fox SNES(which might allow them to get around the FX chip issues), because while it isn't a remake persay its much like SF64 in that its taking elements of the original while doing its own thing(Star Fox 2 would be even cooler, but seems like they want to leave that in its grave) Now with Wind Waker, that didn't need it because it was a remaster not really a remake. Most of the times it makes sense like with Zero Mission, but if its of a 3D or more recent game I can understand(unless the game is too new to really deserve a remake) Too bad Megaman Powered Up didn't include the original though

I wonder how this would go over if a certain tenderized horse corpse in the series that this site's dedicated to came with the game that it was initially going to be a reboot of...

If the remake is quite a lot more advanced than the original - if it is truly a remake, rather than a port or a remaster or an updated rerelease or whatever - then I think it's very interesting to include the original with the remake, and possibly even considerate (although of course this only applies if it doesn't take up too much space).  I think something is inevitably lost in the remaking process because part of the charm of older games is their graphical and audial limitations, and there are some games which I actively do not want to be remade because their limitations helped to create their unique atmosphere.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could support it...granted that the orginal doesn't take up a whole lot of space. If it does, though, I'd still wanna give people options by giving the original a separate rerelease instead.

Frak, some remakes fail to capture the charm of the originals (GoldenEye Reloaded in particular felt like it didn't even TRY to retain the orginal N64 game's charm), so I'd wanna see if I could give the original version something.

I'd be cool with this, as long as, like with Surreal Brain, the original doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

It's a nice little bonus. It's cool for one to compare and contrast the original and pick their favorite. As the two above me said though: "As long as the original doesn't take too much space."

I think it's pretty likely Nintendo will do something similar to Mario Kart 8 with Star Fox Zero. As in, you'll get Star Fox 64 cheaper on the VC if you buy Zero.