Awoo.

Should I get a Wii U

nintega137

There's actually a fair number of games on it that I do want, but then I heard about the Nintendo Nx or something like that and knowing that they're already working on that and that it will probably be out in a short amount of time (a year or two from what I heard) I'm beginning to wonder if I should just wait for that instead, and I've heard others say that thanks to that it's not worth it, so I was wondering if I should get a wii u or not. 

There's actually a fair number of games on it that I do want, but then I heard about the Nintendo Nx or something like that and knowing that they're already working on that and that it will probably be out in a short amount of time (a year or two from what I heard) I'm beginning to wonder if I should just wait for that instead, and I've heard others say that thanks to that it's not worth it, so I was wondering if I should get a wii u or not.

I was a late adapter to the Wii. The next year wii u was announced And I was left to a barren wasteland. I have not bought a wii u yet and honestly I'd wait at this point

If you want to play the games immediately and not wait for the likely backwards compatible NX, then sure? That's really the only reason I would say to go for it at this point. Though I'd look for the cheapest one you can find. Used, refurbished,etc No need to spend 300 on a system that's probably gonna die soon anyways.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes I'd say so. Why wait until then when everything on the Wii U is supported now. No time like the present I say.

Yes I'd say so. Why wait until then when everything on the Wii U is supported now. No time like the present I say.

Because if you wait, then you can play the Wii U AND NX titles, and not need to spend another 300 bucks?

Assuming NX is a Wii U successor, I'm positive it will be fully backwards compatible with Wii U. That said, its probably not coming until 2017 at the earliest. So its up to you if you want to get it now. I love it so far personally, maybe try and get one cheap as possible if you want to play any of these games before Q4 2017 (because honestly I highly doubt its coming before 2017; whenever has a new console been officially shown off and released in the exact same year? Its not happening next year).

There's no guarantee that the NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U, and frankly we still don't even really know what the NX actually is - everyone's assuming it's the successor to the Wii U, and they're probably right, but until it's officially confirmed I don't think we can really say for certain just how big of a leap forward it will be.

Simply put, if you want to play the Wii U games while they're still relevant and being supported, you can pick up a console bundle at a pretty reasonable price. Having said that, I very much doubt that the Wii U is going to get much strong support any more. All of the big hitting games, excluding Zelda, are all either already out (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon) or are not very far away at all (Star Fox), so unless Nintendo has some seriously surprising plans up their sleeves, anything "big" is probably going to jump ship to the NX now.

It's a hard call to make, and it all comes down to how much you want to play the games. If you want to play them sooner, get a Wii U, if you're not in any rush, maybe it might be best to wait a year or so and find out what the NX is all about before making a decision.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's no guarantee that the NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U, and frankly we still don't even really know what the NX actually is - everyone's assuming it's the successor to the Wii U, and they're probably right, but until it's officially confirmed I don't think we can really say for certain just how big of a leap forward it will be.

Simply put, if you want to play the Wii U games while they're still relevant and being supported, you can pick up a console bundle at a pretty reasonable price. Having said that, I very much doubt that the Wii U is going to get much strong support any more. All of the big hitting games, excluding Zelda, are all either already out (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon) or are not very far away at all (Star Fox), so unless Nintendo has some seriously surprising plans up their sleeves, anything "big" is probably going to jump ship to the NX now.

It's a hard call to make, and it all comes down to how much you want to play the games. If you want to play them sooner, get a Wii U, if you're not in any rush, maybe it might be best to wait a year or so and find out what the NX is all about before making a decision.

There is at least one more big title coming; whatever Retro Studios is developing. Though I'm pretty sure they're developing TWO titles. Regardless, assuming NX is a successor to Wii U, next year will be the last real year where there's a lot of support for it.

As for NX, though, if it is a direct successor to Wii U, I'm absolutely positive it will be completely backwards compatible with Wii U, because Nintendo will want to keep as much support from Wii U owners as possible while making it easy for third-parties to have cross-console support on NX and the other main console platforms.

The only thing I'm nervous about is the timing. The best thing to do is to stick it out until PS4/X-Bone are spent and then make the next console compatible with those two consoles successors. Right now, the best thing Nintendo has to go on is that high-level gaming PC's are far, far ahead of Xbone and PS4, so they could go based on that; make it less powerful than the highest-end gaming PC's but a lot more powerful than Xbone and PS4. It needs to be able to last a long time, and have support anything that can be on Xbone and PS4. Plus, it must also be easy to develop for; all of these are central factors they'll need to follow.

I think Nintendo will probably convert the Gamepad into a full-fledged handheld console, and sell that separately. It'll be its own console, and can play much higher-end games than 3DS, or it can act as a Gamepad on NX.

This is going to be a very touchy scenario for Nintendo. They'll need to carefully handle how the NX will work, assuming its a direct successor to Wii U, which most seem to think is the case.

I was a late adapter to the Wii. The next year wii u was announced And I was left to a barren wasteland. I have not bought a wii u yet and honestly I'd wait at this point

I'm not sure I follow the logic here. What do new games matter if there's a huge backlog? Just saying.

Anyway, I'd say get one if you want it, there's no point in not doing so because at this point you wouldn't be suffering through the droughts since you have 2 and a half years of serious releases behind your purchase, and I certainly doubt you can buy and play those all at once!

Edit: I'm going to chime in and say it's just as likely NX isn't backwards compatible as it is backwards compatible. If they do what people keep pestering them for, which is adapting to new technologies, they're going to be tossing Power PC out. PowerPC is what made backwards compatibility with GCN and Wii so ridiculously easy. So either NX will be more expensive because it also has dedicated hardware for BC specifically, or it has software emulation (which is far less than ideal, and support would certainly be slow considering how meticulous Nintendo is with emulation). So, they could very well just drop it all together if it's too much of a hassle, but if they don't, either expect another weak console, an expensive console, or imperfect legacy support.

• Thumbs Up 2

The way I see it, if a system has more than two or three games on it that you really want, you should just save up and buy that system. If not, or if they number only a couple, then you would probably be wise to wait for a price cut, or the perhaps far less certain likelihood of future (digital?) re-releases.

If the NX is not backwards compatible, certain games from the Wii U may see a re-release via the eShop, but not all of them will make it. You may be wiser to nab a cheap one during a sale event.

Like everyone else said, if you'd rather play the games sooner than later, go for it.

But if you can wait, see if the NX is backwards compatible. If not, then as Patticus best put it, not everything on it will see a rerelase, so you'd do well in having one for games that won't be rereleased soon.

That depends on the games you want for the Wii U, honestly.

If you're interested on, let's say, Super Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, Star Fox Zero, and the other main titles, I think it wouldn't hurt to wait and see if the NX is backwards compatible.

However, if you're interested on Smash, MK8 and Splatoon, I'd say go for it, since even if the NX allows you to play them, you wouldn't be able to enjoy online with it, since I doubt they'll do that and will probably just make people wait until their next Smash and MK to play online on the NX and Splatoon we don't even know if they'll do a sequel for the NX.

There's also the Virtual Console and Eshop games. I don't know about the Eshop, but each console has it's own virtual console, so you can't just buy stuff from the Wii U's virtual console right away on the NX, since it'll have it's own store for that, which can be better, or worse. And it would take some time to get on the same level as the Wii U or the 3DS Virtual Console.