Awoo.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil - The Best Disney Princess

Spin Attaxx

So I was aware of this series for a while (back when all we had was just the theme song shown above), but I became hooked on it last night and noticed there was no topic for it here. So I'm making one.

The show's about a (badass) 14 year old princess named Star Butterfly, who gets sent to Earth after she nearly destroys her kingdom. She lives with a boy named Marco Diaz and his family, and together they go on wacky adventures and fight monsters led by an evil tiny birdman in a two-shorts format (each one lasting about 11 minutes). The series is made by Daron Nefcy, who's acually the first woman to create a Disney cartoon since Pepper Ann in 1997.

While it's not as "epic" as some other shows like Gravity Falls or Steven Universe (at least not yet), it's still got this charm to it, and has some continuity in between eps. The animation's sweet and bouncy, and I love Star's design, what with her punky boots, big eyes, giant hair and toothy grin that would make Wallace proud. Though after a recent hiatus, I've heard that apparently the animation for the series got "worse", but I'm an uneducated non-animator who can't immediately see any difference.

New eps air on Monday on Disney XD (so long as you're not a filthy British peasant like myself, in which case...).

• Thumbs Up 6

This is one of the best things on TV right now and you all need to watch it,

That is all.

e76.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Star would be an interesting candidate for Disney Infinity, don't you think?

It depends on whether or not Disney considers they show "popular enough." Gravity Falls still doesn't have figures yet!

Another great new animated series from Disney, in my opinion. It may not be on the levels of Gravity Falls in terms of narrative (though that's largely due to GF being more continuity-driven and Star being more comedy-focused); but I think the show is really funny all the same (cartoon gags and jokes are great, with the occasional dip into black humor that's usually downright hysterical), and has some pretty good action sequences too-and speaking of which, massive props to having Star's friend Marco (who doesn't have any magical powers on his own) able to fight Star's enemies with her, courtesy his karate skills.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back when this show first made itself known, I checked out the first few episodes on YouTube.

It's not perfect, nor the most ambitious cartoon out there, but it is fucking hilarious.

Star Butterfly is easily one of the funniest protagonists to grace a cartoon in a long time.  Surprising, since her personality could definitely have been obnoxious if put in the wrong hands, but she is just a blast to watch.  Just the way she bounces around is full of a ridiculous amount of energy - you can tell from the very first episode just how crazy it's gonna be, just by watching her do her thing.

I also really love how the show cuts out the bullshit.  A girl from another dimension is going to normal school? ...And everybody in their world just immediately accepts it.  Done.  I love it.  It dodges potential annoyances many cartoons run into, and it just lets the show focus on jokes.  And the jokes are very, VERY funny.

The Flash animation also puts a lot of other Flash shows to shame just in the sheer amount of movement going on.  Tons of bouncing, running, flailing around, it just has such an enjoyable amount of energetic flow to it.  It's irresistible, and I definitely recommend giving it a watch.

• Thumbs Up 7

The Flash animation also puts a lot of other Flash shows to shame just in the sheer amount of movement going on.  Tons of bouncing, running, flailing around, it just has such an enjoyable amount of energetic flow to it.  It's irresistible, and I definitely recommend giving it a watch.

Good lord, it's all in Flash too?! I don't believe it, I thought the show would be animated using Toon Boon or whatever Gravity Falls is made with (inb4 that uses Flash too... :v I know GF's pilot was made in Flash, but still...)

• Thumbs Up 1

Almost 100% certain it's Flash, I'm generally pretty good at spotting it.  Always a chance I could be wrong, but it definitely looks like Flash.

It's done in Toon Boom. And apparently it's all done via puppeting or whatever it's called.

I'm shocked too.

Hey, it looks fun. I'll probably Google it.

Because I'm Italian. God only knows when we're getting this. I'm still waiting for the second half of the first season of Wander Over Yonder. Shame, because the Italian dub is quite good.

Been pretty fun to me, too bad it suffers terrible release curse of most Disney XD shows(which by the way, the average cable plan is lucky to have Disney, let alone XD), heck even the live action shows suffer it too(hey I can enjoy Mighty Med)

Yussssss. This is a quality show.

It has a relatively small sample size, but I do hold the cartoons I watch to pretty high standards and only one of the episodes I've seen so far was what I'd call bad. Granted, I think that episode failed pretty hard, but the show managed to redeem itself to me with what came after it. Seeing how much I bitch about these kind of things, that's really good :D

The character Marco is one that I'll especially praise, because in spite of being the show's punching bag in a sense, he's not a totally incompetent dipshit and is shown to be able to kickass in his own right. One of the biggest problems with the characters who play a role like Marco does in comedy-centric shows like this one are that they're either entirely useless for anything other than their designated role or that they're usually written as being likable characters who get shit for no reason *coughModernSquidwardcough*. Marco manages to subvert this by being victim to some great slapstick while being both incredibly useful when he's needed as well as being likable, but not to the point of being too sympathetic and the humor isn't lost in said slapstick.

Star is also an incredibly fun character, and while I feel she doesn't subvert her role as much as Marco does, I think that she's unique enough in concept to differentiate her from the Mabel Pines' of the world and keep her interesting. The one thing that I'm impressed by is that the show took the main source of comic relief and made her into the lead character without making the show itself annoying - usually when the main source of comic relief is the lead, the show fuckin' sucks. Maybe it's the fact that there's more to Star than just being funny or maybe it's because the comedy is balanced out by the fast-paced action, I dunno. I just know that whatever they're doing, they're doing what so many people have tried and failed to do before incredibly well.

So yeahh - barring the episode "the Other Exchange Student," I do think this show has belted out a lot great stuff and I can't wait to see what the future has in store.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's pretty great. Been watchin it on demand. Happy to see when I checked today that we finally got a new batch of episodes to check out. Aside from that, STAR WARS REBELS has returned and I'm now reinforcing and locking down my stance that it is my #1 favorite show on televsion right now.

• 3 weeks later...

So a preview of the next episode was shown at Comic Con:

I like how Star just casually backflips out of Tom's arms, I don't know why.

I love this show so much.

That preview was really good, between Star's casual attempts to tell Tom to go away, to Marco practically being stunned by Star in her prom dress.

• 2 months later...

Yeesh, this topic died :U

Anyway, the season finale's coming up, and shit just got real:

• 4 weeks later...

Shipping Jarco (Janna/Marco) and LynnDiaz (JackieLT/Marco) like the fcking Going Merry. Loving their interactions dynamics. Janna's a shining beacon of a diamond and Jackie's gloriously precious AFFFFF she's perfect  :lol::lol::lol: Janna's edging out Jackie by abit as my fav character as of present.

Well, since the UK Release of Star Vs The Forces of Evil is a complete utter mess, I have absolutely no idea which episodes I've seen and which I haven't, but they did recently show Blood Moon Ball over here (finally!) and I gotta say, it was my favourite episode. The comedy was really good in the episode and I liked the character moments between Tom, Star, and Marco.

• 7 months later...

Set yer calenders, folks, we've got a release date of July 11th for Season Two!

Star vs. the Forces of Evil,” the Annie Award-nominated series starring Eden Sher, launches its second season July 11 on Disney XD, featuring a slew of guest stars.

“The Big Bang Theory” actors Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik, and singer Nick Lachey are among the stars slated to make guest appearances in the show’s sophomore season, along with Carl Weathers, Al Yankovic, Zosia Mamet and Patrick Stump.

“Star vs. the Forces of Evil” follows Star, a magical princess who is sent to Earth to gain maturity after her parents find her unfit to carry her birthright — a magical wand. She battles villains, both in high school and throughout the universe, to protect her wand.

Season two will explore the mythology around Star’s wand, her family history and the powers she will someday fully posses.

Created and executive-produced by Daron Nefcy, “Star vs. the Forces of Evil” stars Sher as Star; Adam McArthur as Marco Diaz; Alan Tudyk as Star’s nemesis; Nia Vardalos as Star’s adopted mom on Earth; Artt Butler as Star’s adopted dad on Earth; Jenny Slate as Pony Head; and Dee Dee Rescher as Skullnick.

“Star vs. The Forces of Evil” is a production of Disney Television Animation and carries a TV-Y7 parental guideline.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

New promo, and it has a line so Starco-friendly it's obviously taken out of context :U

On 6/12/2016 at 6:11 PM, Spin Attaxx said:

New promo, and it has a line so Starco-friendly it's obviously taken out of context :U

Evil Star confirmed it seems.

• 4 weeks later...

So Season 2 is officially a go, and as expected it's charming and funny and awesome and you all need to see it. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Spoiler

Considering the lack of a middle finger on that skeletal arm, though, I'm betting Mr. Lizard Lawyer's either put himself inside the wand fragment, or he's deader than dead. All the same, it looks like Ludo's not going to be a pushover any longer.

Okay, seen first episode of season one. Could've been slightly more funny, but overall I'm intrigued. But one think I REALLY didn't like

Spoiler

was watching Ludo eat scraps of spider's victim, that was talking second ago. What the hell Star? What the hell?

Over all this isn't good episode for people who hate spiders.

• 1 year later...

i really hope they start making new episodes again soon cause im all caught up and its so good and i'm so excited to see what happens! i relate a lot to star butterfly and her personality aaa

• 2 weeks later...