Awoo.

Classic TV Shows Topic

The Chairman Of The Board

This is a topic about your favorite classic TV shows (classic means from the first TV show ever to 1990). Just post your favorite classic TV shows maybe some clips, theme song, episodes, pictures or anything. I'll start.

Threes-Company.jpg

image.jpg

7a652f8b26cd9cedf0bb9c9fa6879a5a.jpg

laverne-and-shirley.jpg

515LLfSQV%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Post some of your favorites.

The Adventures of Superman. I love George Reeves. His Clark Kent/Superman was amazing. He just made the character come to life and feel so real, and infused him with such charm and emotion. I just can't get over him, to be honest.

The supporting cast is also well-utilized and the storylines often entertaining, despite being filled with plot holes, contrivances and other nonsense, especially in the color era. Worst case scenario, it's "So Bad It's Good", which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all to me. And best case scenario, they can be interesting, creative and even clever, if not quite "well-written" in the traditional sense. Many of the earlier episodes are basically mysteries that Clark Kent must solve with his investigative reporter abilities rather than just focusing on his powers, which I think was a brilliant move and I wish other versions of Superman would follow suit. The interactions between characters are also great and entertaining, which is very important to me. In addition to being amusing, you really feel like Clark has a deep connection with the people around him, which is so important to me and something I don't think all versions of Superman have.

I'll be honest - some of the episodes are pretty bad, and you kind of have to get used to the show's quirks before you can enjoy it. At first, I didn't like the show much myself, but as I continued watching and saw some better episodes, my opinion changed, to say the least ;P

The 1960s Batman show can be quite entertaining in limited quantities. There is a sense in which it feels like "if you've seen one episode, you've seen 'em all" due to the consistently uber-kitschy tone and the formulaic plotlines, but I found it absolutely hilarious at first, and I still like it every now and again. I guess I just usually don't feel like sitting down and watching it for the entire length of the episodes.

I enjoy the original Star Trek. The entertainment value varies between episodes, with some definitely more interesting than others, and their habit of introducing girls for sex appeal for 1 episode is just annoying to me, but overall I like it. When they come up with interesting sci-fi ideas or explore philosophical propositions, it's very enjoyable, and the characters are pretty lovable.

When my sisters and I were younger, we watched a whole lot of Green Acres, but it's been a long time. We also watched Leave it to Beaver way back when. 

Thanks for this topic; I always appreciate another opportunity to state my love for George Reeves.

• Thumbs Up 1

My all time favorite TV show? "Get Smart"(1965-1970)

I didn't think I'd like it at first, because I wasn't a fan of spies. But did this show ever change my mind! It's actually really funny. It stars Don Adams as Maxwell Smart (Agent 86), who works as a spy for CONTROL to stop KAOS. He isn't very bright... (think Inspector Gadget, who was voiced by Don Adams).

I chose the name "Agent 82" because of this show :D

Next up, another show starring Don Adams, "Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales" (1963-1966)

I used to watch this when I was very little (re-runs, of course). I had forgotten about it until I watched Get Smart and felt that Max's voice was familiar (once you hear Adam's voice, it's kinda hard to forget). Tennessee Tuxedo is a penguin who lives at the zoo with his friend Chumley the Walrus. Tennessee always has some big idea, but unfortunately they are usually unsuccessful. The episodes are about 10 minutes long, and each one has a different lesson on how things work (TVs, radios, cameras, etc.)

Finally, "Alias Smith and Jones" (1971-1973)

The show stars Pete Duel (Hannibal Heyes, alias Joshua Smith) and Ben Murphy (Jedidiah "Kid" Curry, alias Thaddeus Jones) as two outlaws trying to become good. The governor will give them amnesty if they can stay out of trouble.

It's a western comedy. I don't like westerns, but I do like this show. Fun fact, I have the same birthday as Pete Duel (Feb 24th) :)

Honorable mentions: ALF (1986-1990), Top Cat (1961-1962), and Doctor Who (4th Doctor, 1974-1981)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...
On June 24, 2015 at 0:57 AM, Agent 82 said:

My all time favorite TV show? "Get Smart"(1965-1970)

I didn't think I'd like it at first, because I wasn't a fan of spies. But did this show ever change my mind! It's actually really funny. It stars Don Adams as Maxwell Smart (Agent 86), who works as a spy for CONTROL to stop KAOS. He isn't very bright... (think Inspector Gadget, who was voiced by Don Adams).

I chose the name "Agent 82" because of this show :D

You know what I just realized?? This show was probably a big inspiration for Police Squad, starring Leslie Neilson (which was the inspiration for the "Naked Gun" movies). I say this because the premise of both shows sound like action shows (something like "The Streets Of San Francisco" or "Kojak") but both are comedies. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard for me to enjoy TV shows especially live action ones but one that I really enjoyed watching was The Sweeney.

How I found the show was a story in its self. One day, the recent 2012 Sweeney movie was aired and I tried it, it was awful. Constant swearing, a dirty old man making sex with a young woman and could only make it for 45 minutes. Asked my parents about this since they were alive when the original show was on and they told me the original show was nothing like that, so I got to watch it and almost made it throughout the entire series.

Anyway for people who don't know the show, it is a cop show set on the care of The Flying Squad. Sweeney Todd is cockney rhyming slang for Flying Squad and just shorten it. You have Detective Jack Regan (played by John Thaw aka Inspector Morse) and his sergeant George Carter (played by Dennis Waterman aka Terry from Minder or that man from New Tricks). Regan is a bit more rough and ready who isn't afraid of drinking scotch while talking his point of view however he has a family, sometimes the villians do something to them such as kidnapping. Carter is younger and actually I can't remember much but he calls Regan guv (governor, basically boss or sir). They have a boss called Haskins who has conflicts with Regan since he is more by the books while Regan might want to bend the rules to get the job done. A bit like Inspector Frost. Episodes are usually stopping criminals from bank robberies, kidnappings, diamonds/gold gone missing, now they don't always succeed that makes it a bit different even with cop shows of that era. Some they just missed them but might get them back in a later episode or red tape causes The Flying Squad to lose due to higher ups (the mysterious Special Branch). There are car chases, showdowns, plenty of running and few scraps but they are mixed with some singing down the pub, meeting the snouts (informants), conflicts and doing their jobs. People often say that the show is violent but from watching the series last year, I would actually say that many of the episodes were actually tame and if there were any violence, it is usually reserved for the last 5 minutes or a few episodes (e.g. The Ringer, the one with the PTSD soldier). A few punches here, a gun shot there and there is only one swear word throughout the show but often said (cut out on TV airings though). Would it be something for kids to watch, no. Teenagers and up, perhaps.

The theme song is iconic but the rest of the soundtrack isn't too bad. While nearly all is from stock music libraries, it is fitting and one is remembered as the theme song for the Australian crooks. Compared to most UK TV shows of the era (and afterwards!), the picture and sound quality has held up really well due to using film instead of tape with only The Professionals and some episodes of Minder (same people who did this) matching it. To be honest, not every episode has been great. There are a couple of iffy episodes in Season 1. Season 2 started off rocky but ended up being consistantly great from halfway. Season 3 is more mixed with the earlier made episodes usually better than the later ones (the old ITV schedule meant that it got mixed up) and Season 4 mostly became more comedic (one episode had Morecambe and Wise) and a lot less violence due to changing times. Speaking of which, there are various famous people in this show who appeared such as Brian Blessed (very quiet by his standards though), June Brown (Dot Cotton from Eastenders), Warren Clarke (Dalziel from Dalziel and Pascoe), George Cole (Arthur Daily from Minder), Diana Dors (didn't like her in it, she was unlikeable in that episode) and the mentioned comedians. It even got two movies and a pilot (Regan) but haven't seen those yet.

Strangely enough like the two Dennis the Menace comics, The Sweeney has an US show that is pretty similar but yet different. Starsky and Hutch. Both were aired at the same time (1975), both had 4 seasons where the first two are considered the best, both had iconic Ford cars for chases (orange Ford Consul for The Sweeney, red Ford Gran Torino for Starsky & Hutch). I haven't seen it (have played the game) but might watch it if I get the chance.

• Thumbs Up 2

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the A-Team."

34-0-1454812335.jpg

"I feel sorry for the lacking in intelligence individual" who cannot appreciate this American gem from the 80s.

It may not have been to everyone's tastes but it had it's charms. Most notably being the large amount of gun violence, explosions and car flipping, yet not a single death, gore or bullet wound in most cases. People might call it ludicrous but I reckon it's part of the shows charm. Heck, most modern live action shows in this day have at least one character getting killed every episode. (Although the ones I'm thinking of are mostly crime drama related and involve solving murders, so I guess that's kinda the point.)

Each character brought a unique dynamic to the show and I'm sure we all had our favourites. The show may have been created specifically with Mr. T in mind but I personally think all the characters hold there own well and are likable in there own way. No single person is the star. Something else I appreciate about the show is it's moral compass. They stand up for those that need it and although they are soldiers for hire, they will work for free if the situation calls for it. An example I remember is when they were fired by there client who was uncomfortable with there methods but was going to be run out of town by the local thugs once they left. So they agreed to stick around and stop those thugs once and for all, despite no longer working with the client.

I could go on, but I got some stuff to do. I'll have to cut it short here...

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Classic Doctor Who despite the age of the Show productions, some dodgy looking effects and rubber looking monsters, melodrama and Villains who like to monologue. The show itself was camp, cheesy in a good way and with a B-Movie charm to it.

Hm, I'd have to say Get Smart is one of my all time favorite shows, and I'm so glad I'm finally getting the complete series this week. I also really enjoy The Man from U.N.C.L.E which was the show that kicked off the spy craze(and which in turn Get Smart got a hand from)

p183946_b_v8_ae.jpg

You've probably seen these two fellows here and there since then. For those of you who watch NCIS, yes the guy on the right is indeed Ducky.

The original Mission Impossible is pretty fun, Hogan's Heroes, and A-Team are also big favorites of mine, as well as Macguyver and Knight Rider

• Thumbs Up 1